25 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello guys!

I just want to ask what will happen if your i94 expires before you were able to adjust your status?

But we already got married and applied for SSN.

There is a pride most will never understand, it is a series of late night phone calls, I miss yous, see ya laters, sexy dress blues, lots of tears, endless prayers, care packages & love letters, countdowns, homecomings, best friends you've never met, dog tags, Skype dates: a military thing, you will never understand.

AOS Timeline:

03/14/2013 - AOS Package sent

03/19/2013 - I-485 and I-131 NOA's

03/26/2013 - I-765 Rejection Notice (signature missing)

03/30/2013 - I-765 sent

04/02/2013 - Received Biometrics letter for AOS - Appointment 04/26/2013

04/16/2013 - I-765 NOA

04/17/2013 - Received Biometrics letter for I-765 - Appointment 05/10/2013

04/26/2013 - Biometrics done in Hagatna, Guam

05/15/2013 - Got letter in the mail we have out interview date!

06/15/2013 - AOS Interview

06/7/2013 - Got my Advance Parole in the mail

06/17/2013 - GC approved!

06/26/2013 - Received GC in the mai!

ROC Timeline:

5/21/2015 - ROC packet sent

5/26/2015 - Extension Letter

8/4/2015 - Biometrics Appointment Letter received in the Mail (8/14)

Filed: P-1 Visa Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Dear, you would be said to leave United States of America for sure. Because for continuing the legal status, you have to file AOS within 90 days of arrival or before the date mentioned on I-94.

As far as Social Security & Marriage Certificate is concerned, that have nothing to do with your extension of legal status.

Adjustment of Status from K1 Visa.

02/08/2013: AOS Package Mailed (Day 0)
02/11/2013: AOS Package Received (Day 3)
02/15/2013: Received NOA texts/emails (Day 7)
02/18/2013: Received NOA by mail (Day 10)
02/20/2013: Received Biometric Appointment letter (Day 12)
03/15/2013: Completed Biometrics (Day 36)
03/21/2013: Status Updated to Testing and Interview (Day 42)
04/01/2013: Received an Email as notice for Interview scheduled for "8th May".
04/02/2013: Received the hard copy of notice for Interview scheduled for "8th May".

05/08/2013: Interview done, Approved "Alham'Dullilah".

05/08/2013: Email notification for card production and approval of Green Card.

05/13/2013: Received Welcome to USA letter in mail.

05/16/2013: Green Card Received.

04/11/2013: EAD's status changed to "Card Production" notified via an e-mail.
04/11/2013: AP's status changed to Post Decision Activity (Approved) notified via an e-mail.
04/16/2013: Second email notification regarding the production of EAD Card.
04/18/2013: EAD has been mailed to my address. Notified via an e-mail.
04/18/2013: Tracking number for the shipment including EAD received via an e-mail.
04/20/2013: Received EAD Combo Card.

Dear, you would be said to leave United States of America for sure. Because for continuing the legal status, you have to file AOS within 90 days of arrival or before the date mentioned on I-94.

As far as Social Security & Marriage Certificate is concerned, that have nothing to do with your extension of legal status.

You are incorrect. There is no time frame to file. You won't be able to work, or travel however, until you do.

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Timeline

Hello guys!

I just want to ask what will happen if your i94 expires before you were able to adjust your status?

But we already got married and applied for SSN.

my I94 will expire February18 and we can only file at the end of Feb.

BDW, I posted this question to the AOS forum and got this answers

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/409942-question-about-aos/

I freaked out when the first person said that I may be kicked out here in US.

There is a pride most will never understand, it is a series of late night phone calls, I miss yous, see ya laters, sexy dress blues, lots of tears, endless prayers, care packages & love letters, countdowns, homecomings, best friends you've never met, dog tags, Skype dates: a military thing, you will never understand.

AOS Timeline:

03/30/2013 - I-765 sent

04/16/2013 - I-765 NOA

ROC Timeline:

Timeline

You are incorrect. There is no time frame to file. You won't be able to work, or travel however, until you do.

Yeah! I read a lot of forums here saying that there's no expiration to file for AOS. although it's better if we apply the soonest because we will be tagged as out of status

AOS Timeline:

03/30/2013 - I-765 sent

04/16/2013 - I-765 NOA

ROC Timeline:

Filed: Timeline

Well theres what could potentially happen and what definitely wont happen if you arrived on a K1 and do not file for AOS. As cdneh posted you wont be able to work or leave the US. What could potentially happen is you get detained by USCIS (which could happen if you live in a border state) or you are arrested and your immigration status is questioned- if it is and it is discovered that your visa has expired and you are out of status, you will be detained.

When you file for AOS as a K1 you are placed in a period of authorized stay until your GC is approved. If you fail to file AOS you have no status. Once you are detained youll have to go before an immigration judge who will order you (with the aid of your spouse or alone through a VAWA claim) to file to adjust your status with in a certain time period or leave the country. You should be released on your own recognizance. (im not sure if theres any fines though, there probably is, as there typically are in court matters)

Edited by capri

Yeah! I read a lot of forums here saying that there's no expiration to file for AOS. although it's better if we apply the soonest because we will be tagged as out of status

Exactly. As long as you have married in the 90 day time frame. Ideally, you should file before the I94 expires, but that isn't always possible. You won't be detained. You are out of status after the I94 expires, but still here legally. Best to file as soon as you are able.

Well theres what could potentially happen and what definitely wont happen if you arrived on a K1 and do not file for AOS. As cdneh posted you wont be able to work or leave the US. What could potentially happen is you get detained by USCIS (which could happen if you live in a border state) or you are arrested and your immigration status is questioned- if it is and it is discovered that your visa has expired and you are out of status, you will be detained.

When you file for AOS as a K1 you are placed in a period of authorized stay until your GC is approved. If you fail to file AOS you have no status. Once you are detained youll have to go before an immigration judge who will order you (with the aid of your spouse or alone through a VAWA claim) to file to adjust your status with in a certain time period or leave the country. You should be released on your own recognizance. (im not sure if theres any fines though, there probably is, as there typically are in court matters)

Unlikely. You won't be detained, or fined. She is here legally, just out of status, there is a difference.

Timeline

Detained?

AOS Timeline:

03/30/2013 - I-765 sent

04/16/2013 - I-765 NOA

ROC Timeline:

Officially you are out of status at that time but you are also able to adjust so you will not be kicked out. Do it as soon as possible and don't commit any crimes!

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Yes detained.

When your 1-94 expires you are out of status. Its as simple as that. Each day you accrue unlawful presence. When you file for AOS it places you in a period of authorized stay. When your GC is issued the unlawful presence you accrued is forgiven.

When you file for AOS you receive a NOA. It is your proof of filing and 'authorized stay'. If you are detained by immigration for whatever reason and you have not filed for AOS, as I stated they will require you to do so, or deport you if you fail to do in the required timeframe as you no longer have a valid visa. Being married does not give you status.

If you are out of status and immigration is alerted to the fact, you will be detained. There is no looking the other way because you are married. The marriage itself does not give you any status or protection. Filing for AOS does.

Edited by capri

No. You will NOT be detained! You will NOT accrue days out of status! You aren't going to be fined. Neither will they deport you for not filing in "required time frame" , there is NO required time frame!

If you do not know the answer to a question, please don't post.

Yes detained.

When your 1-94 expires you are out of status. Its as simple as that. Each day you accrue unlawful presence. When you file for AOS it places you in a period of authorized stay. When your GC is issued the unlawful presence you accrued is forgiven.

When you file for AOS you receive a NOA. It is your proof of filing and 'authorized stay'. If you are detained by immigration for whatever reason and you have not filed for AOS, as I stated they will require you to do so, or deport you if you fail to do in the required timeframe as you no longer have a valid visa. Being married does not give you status.

If you are out of status and immigration is alerted to the fact, you will be detained. There is no looking the other way because you are married. The marriage itself does not give you any status or protection. Filing for AOS does.

You clearly do not understand what you are saying. If you are unsure, it is better not to post at all, especially such spurious speculation.

If she has an expired I-94 she is out of status. She still has a legal presence.

Oh my goodness there are plenty of posts on this forum on this very topic.

When your 1-94 expires you are out of status. We agree on that right? Soooo-

Adjustment of Status under Section 245 of the INA.

© On Unlawful Presence under Section 212(a)(9)(B) and © of the Act .

If the alien is not in an authorized period of stay, the fact that he or she is a grandfathered alien does not prevent the alien from accruing unlawful presence under section 212(a)(9)(B) and © of the Act.

The only way to obtain a period of authorized stay is to file for AOS. If you do not, you are accruing unlawful presence- if you are picked up by immigration for whatever reason during that time period, they will detain you. The immigration judge will order you to file for AOS in a required time frame and release you. They will follow up to see if you complied, if you didnt and you ignore the immigration judges orders, he has the power to deport you as by that time you would have significant unlawful presence and violated his order.

And FYI- The above is what would happen to a spouse of a USC who fails to file for AOS. Typically the judge will release them and give them the opportunity to file on their own. Heres an article about refugees, who came to the country and failed to adjust status because they didnt understand the process or requirements. They were caught, detained and ordered to remain in jail until their AOS is complete.

http://www.hrw.org/news/2009/12/28/united-states-end-detention-refugees-failure-file-forms

So again, once your K1 expires and you file for AOS and are placed in a period of authorized stay- yes you can be detained. Yes, you can be ordered to sit in jail and wait for your AOS to be completed if the judge orders it (rarely happens to spouses of USCs) and yes, you are accruing unlawful presence days, each day that passes until you get your GC, but they will be forgiven.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.