me_neil

Canadian and American living in Canada trying to go to the US

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

First off this forum is great!

I am glad to see the process of getting myself a green card is just as complicated as getting my wife into Canada. :/

So I am just starting the process and I just want to make sure I am understanding how this works... At least how to kick it off.

(I'm Canadian, Wife American, Both living in Toronto)

1.It all starts with the I130... Right?

That gets sent away and then once I get approval I can apply for the IR1? Is this correct?

2. We both reside in Canada. The idea is we want to move down together. The I130 on step 18. is asking for the address where we intend to live?

How does one answer that if we haven't moved yet?

3.Does an IR1 require my wife(american) to financially sponsor me? She's in Canada with me and doesn't have a job in the states yet?

- We have american grandparents... Does that help me? Can they sponsor me with an I864? Does that even apply in this case or is it unnecessary?

4.I have 2 year old son. Do we need to submit a separate I130 for him? If so, is there 2 fees, one for me and one for him?

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, googling has got me this far and spending all day in sites that are just setup to take my money and other sites with conflicting and outdated information makes this a big challenge. Once again you guys rawk!

Cheers,

Neil

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

First off this forum is great!

I am glad to see the process of getting myself a green card is just as complicated as getting my wife into Canada. :/

So I am just starting the process and I just want to make sure I am understanding how this works... At least how to kick it off.

(I'm Canadian, Wife American, Both living in Toronto)

That gets sent away and then once I get approval I can apply for the IR1? Is this correct?

2. We both reside in Canada. The idea is we want to move down together. The I130 on step 18. is asking for the address where we intend to live?

3.Does an IR1 require my wife(american) to financially sponsor me? She's in Canada with me and doesn't have a job in the states yet?

- We have american grandparents... Does that help me? Can they sponsor me with an I864? Does that even apply in this case or is it unnecessary?

4.I have 2 year old son. Do we need to submit a separate I130 for him? If so, is there 2 fees, one for me and one for him?

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere, googling has got me this far and spending all day in sites that are just setup to take my money and other sites with conflicting and outdated information makes this a big challenge. Once again you guys rawk!

Cheers,

Neil

Cr/1 and IR-1 Guide (at top of page) http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/110-ir-1-cr-1-spouse-visa-process-procedures/

And ensure you look at the top of this forum and see the domicile issues some have had: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/164618-proving-domicile-when-not-living-in-the-us/

Take some time and READ the guide!! The paperwork process is not that hard--its the waiting that sucks as it can take up to a YEAR (or longer) to get to the interview, which will be in Montreal. And even the EI thread, as if you have enough qualifying hrs, you can get Cdn EI in the USA!! Welcome to VJ

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Just submit the I-130, and then your case is forwarded to NVC. Once complete there, they send your case to the Montreal consulate. Essentially you are correct. Here is the guide to the IR-1/CR-1: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide1

Be as accurate as possible. If you know the city, or state you intend to live, put it down. If you're completely unsure where you wish to live, put: "To Be Determined."

Either your wife or a cosponsor with your wife will need to sponsor you. You must be sponsored with the IR-1. If you are going the IR-1 route, then your wife will be a sponsor for you, and if she cannot financially support you (under the 125% poverty guidelines rule), then she'll need to find another sponsor who can help with your sponsorship. MY wife had to move before me because she found a job that she can use to sponsor me without the help of anyone. But it sucks waiting in Canada without her.

How many years did your wife live in the US? If more than 5 years, your son is a US citizen and you can apply for an American passport for him (assuming your son is her son, too). If your son is only your son and not the US citizen's son as well, then yes you'll have to submit another I-130 along with your I-130.

Good luck with your journey, and welcome to the forum!!! :)

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

how long gave you been married? IR1 is for couples married greater than 2 years,less than that it would be CR1. The US citizen must be domiciled in the US prior to your immigrating here, and have proof of it. The petitioner is always the main financial sponsor, if she does not meet the minimum income requirements for you and your family she must obtain a joint sponsor. A joint sponsor has to be a US citizen or LPR domiciled in the US. Grandparents can only help if they are willing to become joint sponsors, make over the minimum income requirements, and are willing and able to submit and affidavit of support along with your wife. I am not sure how the process works for your son, I am sure someone else will be along and answer that question.Good luck on your journey!!!!

Timeline

When you say "I have a 2 year old son" is he your son only or is he both of yours? The process is very different depending on that.

USCIS - 40 DAYS
2012-10-30: FedEx delivered I-130 to Chicago Lockbox Mail Room
2012-11-01: NOA1 by email - MSC
2012-11-02: $420 (x3) debited from our account
2012-11-05: NOA1 hard copies received, Priority Date 2012-10-30
2012-12-11: NOA2

NVC - 26 DAYS
2013-01-02: Rec'd case#, IIN, BIN & OPTIN emails for EP sent
2013-01-03: Submitted DS-261 (x3)
2013-01-07: AOS bills invoiced and paid & OPTIN for EP accepted for each of us
2013-01-08: AOS bills appear as paid & AOS packages sent by email
2013-01-08: IV bill invoiced & paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV bill appears as paid (kids' only)
2013-01-09: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (kids only)
2013-01-11: AOS received -notified by email
2013-01-11: IV bill invoiced & paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV bill appears as paid (for me)
2013-01-14: IV Supporting Docs received for kids - notified by email
2013-01-14: IV Package emailed & DS-260 submitted online (me only)
2013-01-18: IV Supporting Docs received for me - notified by email
2013-01-18: Son#1 CASE COMPLETE - Son#2 checklist - saying $ on I-864 don't match tax return (but they do)-resubmitted
2013-01-23: AOS 2nd submission for Son #2 received - notified by email
2013-01-25: My CASE COMPLETE
2013-01-28: ALL 3 OF OUR CASES ARE NOW COMPLETE
2013-02-06: Packet 4 Received by email

MEDICAL ~ CONSULATE ~ POE REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS - 160 DAYS NATURALIZATION
2013-02-13: Medicals 2014-12-17: Delivered to California Lockbox 2015-12-15: Delivered to Phoenix Lockbox
2013-03-06: Interview 2014-12-19: 1 I-751 + 3 Biometrics Fees debited from our account 2015-12-16: Fees charged to Credit Card
2013-03-08: Visas in-hand 2014-12-22: Received NOA1 by mail. Receipt Date: 2014-12-17 2015-12-17: NOA
2013-03-12: Paid USCIS Immigrant Fee 2014-12-24: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter 2016-01-02: Biometrics Letter 2016-01-11: Biometrics
2013-03-14: POE 2015-01-06: Biometrics 2016-02-15: In Line for Interview 2016-02-19: Letter
2013-03-25: SSNs arrived 2015-05-27: Approved 2016-03-22: Interview
2013-04-01: Green Cards arrived 2015-06-03: New Green Cards arrived 2016-04-15: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

When you say "I have a 2 year old son" is he your son only or is he both of yours? The process is very different depending on that.

Our son. He is canadian right now cause he was born in Canada. But I think the other guys are right, he can easily become american, I just need to follow that process. Looks like I am the main problem :)

Timeline

how long gave you been married? IR1 is for couples married greater than 2 years,less than that it would be CR1. The US citizen must be domiciled in the US prior to your immigrating here, and have proof of it. The petitioner is always the main financial sponsor, if she does not meet the minimum income requirements for you and your family she must obtain a joint sponsor. A joint sponsor has to be a US citizen or LPR domiciled in the US. Grandparents can only help if they are willing to become joint sponsors, make over the minimum income requirements, and are willing and able to submit and affidavit of support along with your wife. I am not sure how the process works for your son, I am sure someone else will be along and answer that question.Good luck on your journey!!!!

Yeah I was looking into that. We have been married for 6 years so we are IR1. My wife and I were talking and it looks like we would have to use the grand folks for support. I don't see any other option without having to send my wife ahead of me and separating for a period of time. An option we are not really interested in.

Timeline

Just submit the I-130, and then your case is forwarded to NVC. Once complete there, they send your case to the Montreal consulate. Essentially you are correct.

Either your wife or a cosponsor with your wife will need to sponsor you. You must be sponsored with the IR-1. If you are going the IR-1 route, then your wife will be a sponsor for you, and if she cannot financially support you (under the 125% poverty guidelines rule), then she'll need to find another sponsor who can help with your sponsorship. MY wife had to move before me because she found a job that she can use to sponsor me without the help of anyone. But it sucks waiting in Canada without her.

Good luck with your journey, and welcome to the forum!!! :)

To whom and when do you send the i864? Do I send it with the i130? Is that sent to montreal when that time comes up?

Is the I130 just a step to audit that the two people really know each other and everything else is really handled by montreal?

Cheers,

NB

No the I-130 is a petition. She is petitioning the US government to be allowed to have her spouse apply for a visa. They do need evidence of a bona fide marriage though to show that you actually are a spouse and this is a real relationship. It's also a background check on the petitioner. After the petition is approved it goes to the NVC. The petitioner needs to show that the beneficiary(ies) will not be using means tested benefits and rely on the government for support (aka food stamps or Medicaid for example.) They do that with the AOS (I-864.). It's also a financial agreement that the petitioner will pay back the government if such a thing happens. The beneficiary then applies for a visa that shows they are not a criminal and are who they say they are. (essentially a bit of a background check.) After those are approved the beneficiary goes to Montreal (in Canada's case) and an officer talks to the beneficiary to see for themselves in person and look at the physical original documents that you've scanned for the NVC and AOS submissions. They make the final decision if the marriage is genuine, bona fide and ongoing. If they make the final approval of the visa application and AOS then you get to immigrate!

I think I have it right. Someone will be along to correct any mistakes I'm sure though.

Edited by NikiR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Is it a MUST that the US petitioner must reside in the US? I am in the same situation as OP, my husband (USC) and I are currently residing in Toronto. We have been married for more than 2 years and he has been in Toronto for a year. It doesnt make any sense that the US petitioner must be in the US..what about all the DCF Filers?

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I am the BENEFICIARY

May 08: Met online via PS3/Call of Duty Multiplayer game; began chatting and playing regularly.
06/10/09: We become a couple <3
11/06/10: Engaged!!! (Technically we've been engaged for months, but he never had a chance to put a ring on me until Nov 6)
10/10/10: Married in Toronto!
03/2011: Filed for hubby's Canadian Permanent Residence.
10/11: Hubby's PR approved and moved to Toronto! (He just didn't like living here)

I-130
12/15/12: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
12/21/12: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to NBC
01/29/13: Received NOA2 via email (40 days since filing I-130)

NVC - ELECTRONIC PROCESSING FROM CANADA
02/06/2013: NVC Received
02/25/2013: Received IIN and BIN numbers
03/05/2013: Received Opt-in Confirmation email
03/26/2013: Received DS-260 / I-864 Bill
03/26/2013: Pay I-864 Bill
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed I-864
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-261
02/26/2013: Return Completed DS-260
03/26/2013: Receive IV Bill
03/26/2013: IV Bill PAID
04/04/2013: Emailed Completed IV Packet
04/17/2013: AOS RFE Received sad.png
04/17/2013: Return RFE
04/30/2013: Case Completed at NVC

POST NVC

05/27/2013: Medical

06/17/2013: Interview/APPROVED!!!

06/19/2013: Visa ready for Pickup

xx/xx/xxxx: POE

Timeline

Is it a MUST that the US petitioner must reside in the US? I am in the same situation as OP, my husband (USC) and I are currently residing in Toronto. We have been married for more than 2 years and he has been in Toronto for a year. It doesnt make any sense that the US petitioner must be in the US..what about all the DCF Filers?

there is NO more DCF in Canada. At the top of this forum is a DOMICILE thread--lot of good info there

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

DCF is no longer an option for Canadians, as of August 2012 I believe. I'm not as familiar with the spousal process as others are here but it's not uncommon for Montreal insist the USC move back to the US before issuing the visa, even if there's a family involved. It's crappy, but that's how it goes. Montreal is very strict with evidence of domicile.

Edit: Flames beat me to it!

Edited by pocheros

Timeline

Please understand that domicile can be achieved by having a place set up before moving. The US citizen does not have to be within the US for a visa to be issued. They must prove domicile. This is a broader concept than living within the US.

If the USC can show that they have a rental agreement set up before the move, a job offer (assuming that they already meeting the sponsorship requirements some other way), etc., this proves domicile.

Mind you the Affidavit of Support requires they have a job (not merely a job offer) to support you if you don't meet eligibility criteria based on assets.

Edited by bsd058

IR-1 Visa Timeline (Service Center: Vermont)

image.png.806852c45242bc72b5f44a862566bdaf.png

N-400 Timeline (Field Office: Orlando, FL) & Voter Registration (Online)

image.png.c85e21010f669e0303f6fafb51f19f82.png

Passport Timeline (Submitted at USPS, Standard Processing, Standard Delivery, Locator number: 51) & SSA Update & Naturalization Certificate Receipt

03/23/2022: Application for passport submitted at USPS facility under standard processing.

04/04/2022: Status changed to “The U.S. Department of State has received your application for your passport book on 04/04/2022. We're now reviewing your application and supporting documents...Your application locator number is 51*******.

04/04/2022: Check for passport cashed.

05/03/2022: Status changed to "The U.S. Department of State approved your application for your passport book. We're now printing your passport book and preparing to give it to you. You should receive your passport book on or around 05/09/2022."

05/05/2022: Passport Received.

05/09/2022: SSA Citizenship Status Updated.

05/25/2022: Naturalization Certificate received in mail.

Timeline

Please understand that domicile can be achieved by having a place set up before moving. The US citizen does not have to be within the US for a visa to be issued. They must prove domicile. This is a broader concept than living within the US.

If the USC can show that they have a rental agreement set up before the move, a job offer (assuming that they already meeting the sponsorship requirements some other way), etc., this proves domicile.

Mind you the Affidavit of Support requires they have a job (not merely a job offer) to support you if you don't meet eligibility criteria based on assets.

correct----but others in the past were clueless to this, so its all good to know

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.