ludakrishna

IRS / ITIN question tax extension

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

is there any downside to filing "married filing separately" then amending to "married filing jointly" months later (other than delaying your refund)?

Taxwise? No. OTOH, showing a return 'married filing jointly' is great 'bonafide marriage' fodder, listed in the 6 types in the I-130 instructions, as evidence of financial co-mingling.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Do you mean notarized or certified?

Because certified means you have to go to the issuing agency of the passport or a US Consulate to get them to make copies.

Prior to this year, this wasn't even a requirement so I'm just surprised you even did that.

Yes I do mean certified ... I went to my local IRS tax office showed them what documents I had and the IRS agent told me that I will need my husband to go back to the issuing agency and get a certified copy and that all page would need to be certified... this was for my 2011 tax year. I live in florida hubby in Morocco not sure if that has anything to do with it but thats exactly what we did. I returned to my local IRS office when I rec'ved the documents a few weeks later from my husband via snail mail the IRS agent looked over everything said it was fine and mailed it for me.:yes:

Married:.................................08/02/11
I-130 Sent:.............................05/21/12

I-130 Packet Recv'd:..............05/23/12
I-130 Touched:.......................05/25/12
I-130 NOA 1:..........................06/02/12
I-130 RFE:..............................09/06/12
I-130 RFE Sent:......................09/14/12
I-130 RFE Recv'd: ..................09/18/12
I-130 Petition Denied:.............10/09/12
2nd USCIS I-130 Petition
I-130 Sent:......................................12/17/14
I-130 Packet Recv'd:.......................12/22/14
I-130 NOA 1:...................................12/24/14
I-130 NOA 2:................................... 05/19/15
I-130 NOA 2 Hardcopy Recv'd: ......05/22/15
I-130 Petition Sent to NVC:.............05/26/15
I-130 Petition Recv'd At NVC:........................06/02/15
Case No. assigned Recv'd over phone: ....... 06/16/15
NVC Welcome letter Recv'd: .........................06/19/15
Agent assigned: .............................................07/06/15
AOS fee paid: .................................................07/06/15
AOS confirmed paid: ......................................07/08/15
IV Bill Recv'd by email:....................................07/21/15
IV Bill paid online:............................................08/01/15
Submit DS-260:...............................................08/10/15
AOS & IV Packet sent:....................................08/11/15
Scanned Date:.................................................08/13/15
Case Completed:.............................................08/31/15
Medical Exam : ...............................................10/28/15
Interview Date: ................................................11/11/15
Interview Date Rescheduled By Consulate : .12/04/15
Results: Approved Admin Review / AP..........12/08/15

Case Returned to USCIS .................................05/17/16

Case Reaffirmed: ..............................................09/18/17

Case Forwarded to Consulate: ........................10/12/17

2nd Interview: ...................................................11/17/17

Case Updated By Consulate: ............................12/28/17

Case Status Changed to Issued: ......................12/29/17
Visa Ready Pick up at Aramex: .........................12/30/17
Visa In Hand: ............01/03/18

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

eh - notarized copy, with notary done at US Embassy during ACS appointment, suffices also !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Do you mean notarized or certified?

Because certified means you have to go to the issuing agency of the passport or a US Consulate to get them to make copies.

Prior to this year, this wasn't even a requirement so I'm just surprised you even did that.

Out of interest (and probably totally Off topic) but in Australia a "certified copy" is when you take the document to someone (we usually do the police station) and they "certify" it as a "true and correct copy" of the original document (there's only certain people/professions that can certify - police station is usually easiest). You of course take the original and the copy, or sometimes they'll do the copy and then stamp it and sign it. This whole "notarised" thing doesn't exist there that I'm aware of.

We'd still call one received from an agency as "certified copy" because at the bottom of the doc it usually says basically the same spiel of "true and correct copy of the original we have on file".

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Out of interest (and probably totally Off topic) but in Australia a "certified copy" is when you take the document to someone (we usually do the police station) and they "certify" it as a "true and correct copy" of the original document (there's only certain people/professions that can certify - police station is usually easiest). You of course take the original and the copy, or sometimes they'll do the copy and then stamp it and sign it. This whole "notarised" thing doesn't exist there that I'm aware of.

We'd still call one received from an agency as "certified copy" because at the bottom of the doc it usually says basically the same spiel of "true and correct copy of the original we have on file".

thats interesting to know!

especially since i think that could be a tad confusing for some step of the immigration process.

regardless though the itin instructions are kind enough to fully explain that they must be certified by issuing agency or us consulate.

still. interesting to see how things differ.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

thats interesting to know!

especially since i think that could be a tad confusing for some step of the immigration process.

regardless though the itin instructions are kind enough to fully explain that they must be certified by issuing agency or us consulate.

still. interesting to see how things differ.

The bolded part - EXACTLY!! I was so confused back in the beginning and it was only through reading posts on here that I found out that when they say "certified copy" ANYWHERE on immigration stuff they mean they want whatever you got from the issuing agency (sealed/stamped signed whatever). Not just a regular photocopy with a certified stamp (which is what I would have done in Aus).

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Morocco
Timeline

What I did was have my husband sent me certified copies of his passport bio pages, national ID card & BC via snail mail. I did go to my local IRS office to have them check over documents & they offered to mail them for me which reached fast and saved me postage cost. You can get your spouse doc. and mail them your self with tax papers & W7 & certified doc. to the address on the IRS info site. We filed married joint, got the tax ID number in the mail about 4 to 6 weeks later. Bigger refund too :thumbs: Oh I also had my husband print the tax papers, W7 & sign them and send with all his documents. Hope this will help you :)

Hi,

I hope you can provide me some advice regarding the documents needed to file with W7 from to apply for an ITIN for my wife who lived now in Morocco. I am in the process of filing for 2012 tax return and I would like to file Married Joinlty. Now, my question:

1-What document did you husband send? I heard the passport is the only stand alone document.

2- certified copies of his passport bio pages? where did he certify them? at the consulat or..?

Thanks in advance

OUR JOURNEY

5.2.12: Married
love0071.gif

I-130
07.02.12: Sent I-130 to Chicago Lockbox
07.03.12: Payment of $420.00 received.
07.05.12: NOA1 Received via Mail.
01/24/13: approvedsmile.gif

NVC
01/28/13: NVC received our case
02/15/13: Assigned Case number
02/15/13: Emailed DS-3032
02/20/13: Paid AOS
02/21/13: AOS as PAID
02/21/13: Sent AOS packet.
02/26/13: DS-3032 Accepted.
02/27/13: Paid IV
03/05/13: IV as PAID
03/05/13: Return Checklist( I-864 was not complete)
03/04/13: Sent IV packet.
03/14/13: CASE COMPLETE

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥<3<3<3<3<3

05/01/2013 - Medical Exam
05/20/2013 - Interview
05/20/2013 - APPROVED
06/03/2013 - POE New York

GT6Pm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

I hope you can provide me some advice regarding the documents needed to file with W7 from to apply for an ITIN for my wife who lived now in Morocco. I am in the process of filing for 2012 tax return and I would like to file Married Joinlty. Now, my question:

1-What document did you husband send? I heard the passport is the only stand alone document.

2- certified copies of his passport bio pages? where did he certify them? at the consulat or..?

Thanks in advance

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf

Page 2 into page 3

oldlady.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.