Alicey

A few naturalisation questions

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I only just received my green card, but my husband and I are already thinking about naturalisation. The green card process took so much out on us financially that this time, we want to be FULLY prepared.

What 'hidden' fees are there in applying for naturalisation?

By hidden, I mean this: it costs $340 to file the I-129F (just using that form as an example, I know it's not relevant to naturalisation) but add another $200 or so onto that for the required medical examination; then add any fees for obtaining certified copies of documents; then, later, add another fee for a travel permit if necessary... That's what I mean.

The instructions for the N-400 form make it seem as though $680 is the ONLY cost/fee involved, is this the case? And, can someone remind me, does the $85 biometric fee cover having your fingerprints taken and having your interview?

Can I have dual UK and US citizenship? On the N-400 form, it says:

The oath includes several promises you make when you become a U.S. citizen, including promises to:

• Give up all prior allegiance to any other nation or sovereignty;

But travel.state.gov says:

a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

And multiple other sources I've found seem to think dual US/UK Citizenship is possible.

I'm a UK Citizen who will be naturalised in the US, not the other way around, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I only just received my green card, but my husband and I are already thinking about naturalisation. The green card process took so much out on us financially that this time, we want to be FULLY prepared.

By hidden, I mean this: it costs $340 to file the I-129F (just using that form as an example, I know it's not relevant to naturalisation) but add another $200 or so onto that for the required medical examination; then add any fees for obtaining certified copies of documents; then, later, add another fee for a travel permit if necessary... That's what I mean.

The instructions for the N-400 form make it seem as though $680 is the ONLY cost/fee involved, is this the case? And, can someone remind me, does the $85 biometric fee cover having your fingerprints taken and having your interview?

The oath includes several promises you make when you become a U.S. citizen, including promises to:

• Give up all prior allegiance to any other nation or sovereignty;

a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another.

And multiple other sources I've found seem to think dual US/UK Citizenship is possible.

I'm a UK Citizen who will be naturalised in the US, not the other way around, if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

The only real "hidden" fee is that you have to send passport-style photos, so that's another $10 or so. The $680 does include biometrics. You might also want to plan for getting a US Passport right after naturalization, so that's another $120 or so (not sure of current fees). I guess you could also count travel if the nearest USCIS office is far or a day or two off work for the interview and oath.

You would retain your UK citizenship and would be a dual citizen. The oath includes language that renounces other citizenships, but the US can't make policy about how other nations handle citizenship. The UK doesn't recognize the US oath as renouncing citizenship (as is true with most, but not all, countries), so you end up with both.

Edited by sciencenerd

AOS (from tourist w/overstay)

1/26/10 - NOA

5/04/10 - interview appt - approved

ROC

2/06/12 - NOA date

7/31/12 - card production ordered

N-400

2/08/13 - NOA date

3/05/13 - biometrics appt

6/18/13 - interview - passed!

7/18/13 - oath ceremony

You will also have to file to remove conditions before you are eligible for naturalization.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you both.

You will also have to file to remove conditions before you are eligible for naturalization.

Perfect; this is exactly what I mean by 'hidden' costs.

So, to summarise:

I must file an I-751 (to remove the conditions of my green card), $590.

Alongside that I-751, I must file a fingerprint card, $?

And a birth certificate for my daughter, $35 (for a certified copy)

So the total cost of my naturalisation will be $680 for the N-400, plus $625 for the I-751 and associated documents? So, a total of $1305?

Is that it?

Is there any time window for filing the I-751? I know I have to file it within two years of getting permanent residency. What I'm talking about is a time window in regards to naturalisation. I have to be a permanent resident for 3 years before I'm eligible for naturalisation, but do I have to be a permanent resident without conditions? Is it in our interests to remove the conditions as soon as possible, or can we file whenever we choose, within those two years?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I know that much can be lost in translation when reading something that someone else wrote that you do not know. I would not consider the I-751 process a 'hidden' cost.

Think of your journey as different steps. You received your 1st green card, which is a conditional 2-year green card. The next step is to lift the conditions of the green card so that you may be a 10-year green card resident. This is in fact a major step in this process. Please spend time reading the forum and threads within that forum regarding the process. There is a lot of paper work, evidence gathering, time, and effort needed to complete the I-751 process.

The N-400 process is the way to become a naturalized citizen, but you will have to complete the I-751 process before starting this one (also dependent on how long you've been a green card holder and/or marriage). Many times, people hold off on the N-400 process as the I-751 process takes a lot of energy (similar to what you found in the AOS process).

You will have to wait until ~3 months before your 2-year green card is to expire until you can file the I-751. You cannot rush the process as the USCIS has strict guidelines as to when they will accept the forms.

Good luck on your I-751 process and I hope it is a little less arduous than the AOS process was for you. Keep collecting your documentation and evidence.

AOS (from VWP)Application Removal of Conditions Timeline Naturalization Timeline
12/28/2009 Sent I-130,I-485,I-765 02/25/2012 Sent out I-751 via USPS to VSC 01/15/2013 Sent out N-400 via USPS to Dallas, TX
03/24/2010 AOS Interview APPROVED!!! 10/24/2012 RFE 04/03/2013 Naturalization Interview - Passed!
04/05/2010 Greencard arrived!! 01/03/2013 Approved! Card production ordered! 05/15/2013 Oath Ceremony - Kyle is a US Citizen!

***Detailed time line in my About Me page***

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Thank you both.

Perfect; this is exactly what I mean by 'hidden' costs.

So, to summarise:

I must file an I-751 (to remove the conditions of my green card), $590.

Alongside that I-751, I must file a fingerprint card, $?

And a birth certificate for my daughter, $35 (for a certified copy)

So the total cost of my naturalisation will be $680 for the N-400, plus $625 for the I-751 and associated documents? So, a total of $1305?

Is that it?

Is there any time window for filing the I-751? I know I have to file it within two years of getting permanent residency. What I'm talking about is a time window in regards to naturalisation. I have to be a permanent resident for 3 years before I'm eligible for naturalisation, but do I have to be a permanent resident without conditions? Is it in our interests to remove the conditions as soon as possible, or can we file whenever we choose, within those two years?

Thanks!

You are correct. You will have the additional $590 for 'removal of conditions' on your green card. The only other hidden fees for $680 would be any costs that you would incur getting birth certificates, etc.

Don't forget, if you want a passport after you finish with your naturalization (that's another $110 +$25 +$60 ), so nearly $200 for a first time passport.

Theoretically, once you become a citizen....you are supposed to "renounce" any other citizenship. and you might say this in your oath, once you pass your exam. However, realistically, that doesn't really matter, because the UK will always recognize you as a citizen since you were born there. So for me, when I come into the US, I tell them at the border patrol, that I am a US citizen. however when I go to Israel, I tell border patrol them that I am a dual citizen. Not a big issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

and for filing to remove conditions, you have to file WITHIN 90 days of the expiration of your GC. Do not wait with it, otherwise you will have a big headache. ALSO...you can't file any day earlier than 90 days, so you need to count when 90 days is (it's not 3 months).

Edited by msdelila

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Only time I showed birth certificates for my two girls (wife and daughter) was for their AOS and all the USCIS received was copies of those made on my own copying machine as with any other document we submitted. But did have to bring those originals in at the interviews. Also carried every original document out.

For the I-751, better mark your calendar to send that in exactly 90 days before those conditional green cards expire, it was strictly copies, never required any originals except for those two letters of affidavits. Also was two 450 mile trips for, besides the I-751 fee, was an extra 80 bucks for my stepdaughter, the second trip was because they were so damned slow in processing, had to take my two girls in for an I-551 stamp in their current valid foreign passports. But really don't need those, also can bring in two passport photos and apply for an I-94 extension. They didn't charge us extra for that.

Really the only way to be naturalized in the USA is to be born here. Since I was and if I committed a felony and sent to prison, would just lose my voting rights. If my wife or stepdaughter did, after receiving their US citizenship, can be deported as well. Both do have US passports and can travel anywhere I can with mine, except to their home country, there, they have to maintain citizenship in their home countries, because our DOS insists on placing their place of birth in their US passports.

Only cost to us was that standard N-400 fee and 19 cents for a Walgreen's print out for six photos, but they don't even use those anymore as use that terrible photo they took of you at your biometrics. Was also three 450 mile trips for us, 1,350 miles. One for biometrics, another for the interview, and the third for that lip syncing oath ceremony. That is one time we left a document, the green card. Since my stepdaughter turned barely 18, couldn't tailgate her mom, had to wait two more years with another full fee and another 1,350 miles of driving. But if she was under 18, would have cost another 600 bucks for the N-600, but only one 450 mile trip for us.

USCIS does not send you a reminder for the I-751, its up to you to keep yourself legal.

• 11 months later...

Why would anyone consider the cost of filing I-751 a hidden or even an additional cost of filing N-400? Those things are two separate steps in naturalization process.

You get your first GC, which is most likely a conditional one. When you have one, you have to file this I-751 form, no later than 90 days before your 2 year "anniversary," and this will result with you getting another GC, valid for 10 yrs. Now, if you became a permanent resident (PR) through marriage to the USC, then after removing your conditional status, you can file your N-400 a year after - 3 yrs after becoming a PR. If you get divorced before this date, then you will have to wait until you have been a PR for 5 yrs. Then you can file. Some people wait until their GC is about to expire and then file for citizenship. So, in all, the total true cost of filing your N-400 is $680. This is what you have to pay to the USCIS. I do not count the cost of passport and pictures.

I don't think there are any hidden fees.

$595 is the application fee.

$85 is the biometrics fee which covers the biometrics appointment and the associated work on their end (some of it is probably due to the FBI charging them).

So you submit a check for $680.

The interview doesn't cost you anything.

Note that the fee may change by the time you apply, so you should keep abreast of that as time goes on.

IRS tax return transcripts are free.

If you need to obtain your US spouse's birth certificate, there's probably a fee for that.

If you need to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate from the city hall register or whatever, there might be a fee for that.

If you don't already have a collection of passport pictures, well, you can go to CVS or whatever and get those for <$10.

Everything else was documents you should have on hand already, factor in the cost of photocopying everything, which will be... a few dollars I guess?

You don't have to get a passport after naturalization, although if you mean to travel outside of the US, you'll need one. I don't know that I consider that a "hidden" fee but there you go.

If you live far from the location(s) where you would have your biometrics appointment and your interview and your oath ceremony, factor that in, too. For me at least, the ASC is not the same place as the field office, and the ASC is actually more of a pain to get to, but I'm done with that now. Either way I live close-by so it's a non-issue. For some people it's a major undertaking to go where they're supposed to go.

Timeline:

2005-04-14: met online

2005-09-03: met in person

2007-02-26: filed for K-1

2007-03-19: K-1 approved

2007-06-11: K-1 in hand

2007-07-03: arrived in USA

2007-07-21: got married, yay!

2007-07-28: applied for green card

2008-02-19: conditional green card in hand

2010-01-05: applied for removal of conditions

2010-06-14: 10-year green card in hand

2013-11-19: applied for US citizenship

2014-02-10: became a US citizen

2014-02-22: applied for US passport

2014-03-14: received US passport

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Give up all prior allegiance to any other nation or sovereignty;

Thanks.

If you got a 2 year green card, you have to remove conditions which costs $590 as of now (that's for USCIS). WHEN YOU FILE FOR Citizenship later you pay 680$ for the application and the biometrics. The only things that you will pay extra is to copy your evidence and send your application either by USPS or UPS. But those don't really cist as much as AOS. good luck.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

Only time I showed birth certificates for my two girls (wife and daughter) was for their AOS and all the USCIS received was copies of those made on my own copying machine as with any other document we submitted. But did have to bring those originals in at the interviews. Also carried every original document out.

For the I-751, better mark your calendar to send that in exactly 90 days before those conditional green cards expire, it was strictly copies, never required any originals except for those two letters of affidavits. Also was two 450 mile trips for, besides the I-751 fee, was an extra 80 bucks for my stepdaughter, the second trip was because they were so damned slow in processing, had to take my two girls in for an I-551 stamp in their current valid foreign passports. But really don't need those, also can bring in two passport photos and apply for an I-94 extension. They didn't charge us extra for that.

Really the only way to be naturalized in the USA is to be born here. Since I was and if I committed a felony and sent to prison, would just lose my voting rights. If my wife or stepdaughter did, after receiving their US citizenship, can be deported as well. Both do have US passports and can travel anywhere I can with mine, except to their home country, there, they have to maintain citizenship in their home countries, because our DOS insists on placing their place of birth in their US passports.

Only cost to us was that standard N-400 fee and 19 cents for a Walgreen's print out for six photos, but they don't even use those anymore as use that terrible photo they took of you at your biometrics. Was also three 450 mile trips for us, 1,350 miles. One for biometrics, another for the interview, and the third for that lip syncing oath ceremony. That is one time we left a document, the green card. Since my stepdaughter turned barely 18, couldn't tailgate her mom, had to wait two more years with another full fee and another 1,350 miles of driving. But if she was under 18, would have cost another 600 bucks for the N-600, but only one 450 mile trip for us.

USCIS does not send you a reminder for the I-751, its up to you to keep yourself legal.

"Really the only way to be naturalized in the USA is to be born here. Since I was and if I committed a felony and sent to prison, would just lose my voting rights. If my wife or stepdaughter did, after receiving their US citizenship, can be deported as well"

I don't want to start anything by saying this, but I find this part of your statement particularly troublesome, and misleading. Going to prison will eliminate your voting rights, but you will still have the right to live, work, and stay in this country as a citizen. How do I know? it happened to a person I know. However, if you are only a permanent resident, going to prison will most certainly get you deported. Just my two cents.

Eligibility Criteria: 5 years
01-24-01: Eligibility Date
12-24-13 Application Sent
12-26-13: Application Received
01-01-14: Check Cashed

01-02-14: Text&Email Received
01-07-14: Biometric Letter Sent Date

01-08-14: I-797C Notice of Action Received via mail
01-11-14: Biometric Letter Received with Date

01-13-14: Early Biometric Walk in Date
01-24-14: In line for Interview
02-22-14: Interview Letter

03-24-14: Interview

00-00-00: Oath letter

00-00-00: Oath Ceremony

00-00-00: Ciudadano Americano.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.