The Nature Boy

Ban hands and feet

305 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
I like America the way it is today however I lived in the middle east for 3 years and those kids at your school or the school in Dhahran or the school in Bahrain were, as you say, highly, highly protected.

With guns.

What's wrong with that again? Nobody could mess with our kids there.

Kids should not grow up that way. Attending a school that is secured the same way as a maximum security prison? That may be acceptable in the Middle East although I'd wager a guess that people there woiuld rather their kids didn't have to go to schools like that and still be safe. The Middle east is not precisely a model for where I think this country should be going. I know that a lot of you gun freaks and right wing nuts - sorry for being redundant here - would rather live a few centuries back like the ruling folks in the Middle East often appear to prefer.

But our kids really didn't commit any crime to be confined to super-max type schools. You know, aside from what apparently now is about to become the crime of having been born in the United States of America. What is it with you gun nuts? Can you not at least try and think like a normal human being?

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove profanity

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I wonder what the homicide rate would be in Vermont if another 5-6 million people moved there? It currently ranks 49th in population.

too cold for me.

Edited by charles!

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

As you didn't live there you really should add this particular part of the discussion to the growing list of things for which you have nothing valuable to say. The international schools are nothing like maximum security prisons but who goes in and out and what they can bring in and out are tightly controlled. Ditto the international schools in Jakarta. Guarded and gated.

In other words, the kids are SAFE.

So someone who points something that works for safety in an unsafe society is now a freak and right wing nut? Remember - no guns allowed (privately owned) in either place and you wish you had never been born if you are caught with one.

But guns aren't the worst thing out there nor make for the best TV - as we have experienced in our own country.

Your colors are showing dude. For you this tragedy is just something to take advantage of to further a political agenda and for you this discussion has nothing to do with safety of children

Kids should not grow up that way. Attending a school that is secured the same way as a maximum security prison? That may be acceptable in the Middle East although I'd wager a guess that people there woiuld rather their kids didn't have to go to schools like that and still be safe. The Middle east is not precisely a model for where I think this country should be going. I know that a lot of you gun freaks and right wing nuts - sorry for being redundant here - would rather live a few centuries back like the ruling folks in the Middle East often appear to prefer.

But our kids really didn't commit any crime to be confined to super-max type schools. You know, aside from what apparently now is about to become the crime of having been born in the United States of America. What is it with you gun nuts? Can you not at least try and think like a normal human being?

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove profanity from quote

i don't get it.

I was trying to avoid this because I knew at some point you would come on here and say something ignorant like this and you didn't learn from the last time we had this debate. But I see that there is no point trying to be the bigger man when someone is calling you out. I'll try to do this properly since you have no problem talking trash to someone but start crying when you begin to lose the argument:

Giving everyone a gun in a high crime area won't solve the problem, here's how I know; I've been to the rough neighborhood. The ones where drive bys, gang fights and drug selling are everyday living. When I visit childhood friends or even family, the ones in states that have bans on guns, they still have guns in their homes. The difference; they don't brag about it, it's not a dinner conversation piece, it's for protection against home invasion, or walking to the store and getting jumped on or shot at. They don't even like having them in the house but since their neighbors and friends have been the victims, it's the only option they have. I don't blame them, there is nothing wrong with having a gun for protection. These areas won't improve until there are more jobs, people get better education, and the cycle of self destruction stops. Guns won't help this, if anything go read a STL newspaper, it just ensures that someone else might get killed. But you wouldn't know about that since you have to have a gun on you just to use the bathroom.

Now take a look at the mass shootings that take place, and where they are located. Nice living areas with little to no crime, but people that live out there are armed to the teeth, because they are afraid of the government taking over. People on here actually argue about the right to carry firearms and they want tanks and missile launchers in their backyards. What happens if someone breaks in and kills you to get your arsenal? Then they go on a killing spree, I guess you wouldn't care since you are already dead, but don't you see that more weapons aren't the answer? We had a SSgt out here in Scott that lived off base, used to talk about his guns all the time, he had over 50 in his home. Brought it up every chance he could, guess what happened? Someone went to his house when he was at work and stole all of them. Now we have 50 guns unaccounted for on the streets.

If you live on a farm and you have an AR to kill animals for that reason, I can live with that. But for all of you suburbanites that want to have M-60s and rocket launchers just for the hell of it, wake up. If the government wanted to take over, your little arsenal won't stop it.

M-60's and rocket launchers... Are you serious.

Question about your high crime areas. About they all share some common characteristics. Government dependent families generation after generation, Single parent homes, god awful government schools, and very strong democrat districts, and it's someones else fault they are there.

Yes I do understand that what I said crosses over in the different classification of weapons, but so what. You asked me what my stance on gun control was and I told you. If it takes reclassifying some weapons to get to the point I suggested, then so be it.

When I refer to banning all semi automatic weapons in regards to shotguns, I'm talking about shotguns like this one.

srm-arms-m1216-semi-auto-12-gauge-161-shotgun.jpg

I am not referring to your standard pump action shotgun like this Remington, which is why I specifically stated "everyday shotguns".

Remington1187SemiAuto.jpg

This is a perfect example of why most people who are for the Ban don't have a clue what they are talking about... Seriously

You do realize your picture of a standard Remington "PUMP" everyday shotgun is a semi-automatic Remington 1100 model. OMG you could not make this stuff up in a Hollywood script. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

:rofl:

That's pretty funny

This is a perfect example of why most people who are for the Ban don't have a clue what they are talking about... Seriously

You do realize your picture of a standard Remington "PUMP" everyday shotgun is a semi-automatic Remington 1100 model. OMG you could not make this stuff up in a Hollywood script. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

i don't get it.

Yeah, you stockpile weapons purchased at your local pharmacy, and you're questioning my intelligence. :lol:

I fail to understand the meaning your post Teddy. Maybe you can explain it further for us that aren't a weapons expert like yourself bright guy. The shotgun I posted is a Mossberg 500.

sigbet.jpg

"I want to take this opportunity to mention how thankful I am for an Obama re-election. The choice was clear. We cannot live in a country that treats homosexuals and women as second class citizens. Homosexuals deserve all of the rights and benefits of marriage that heterosexuals receive. Women deserve to be treated with respect and their salaries should not depend on their gender, but their quality of work. I am also thankful that the great, progressive state of California once again voted for the correct President. America is moving forward, and the direction is a positive one."

I like America the way it is today however I lived in the middle east for 3 years and those kids at your school or the school in Dhahran or the school in Bahrain were, as you say, highly, highly protected.

With guns.

What's wrong with that again? Nobody could mess with our kids there.

I respect your opinion, and I see your side of the argument. I get it. Yes, adding armed guards to our schools could be effective. However, two points:

1. The fact that we even feel the need to do this in the USA is what disturbs me. The reason it’s done in the Middle East is because there is a real, sustained threat of attack on American establishments. I find it sad that we feel so threatened by our own countrymen that we are ready to treat our schools like they are under the constant threat of terrorism.

2. In these schools that are closely guarded, the message the children get is - ‘the people around you are hostile towards you.’ Is that really the message we want to send our children here in the USA? About their fellow countrymen?

USCIS Stage

February 17th, 2012 - NOA1 Email

March 1st, 2012 - NOA2 Email (USC residing abroad)

NVC Stage

March 12th 2012 - Received

March 21st, 2012 - Case Number received

April 20th, 2012 - Case Closed

May 1st, 2012 - Interview scheduled

Embassy

May 29th, 2012 - Interview - Approved!

June 6th, 2012 - Passport with visa delivered

July 29th, 2012 - POE together in Houston

August 6th, 2012 - Social Security Card Received

August 16th, 2012 - Green Card Received

M-60's and rocket launchers... Are you serious.

Question about your high crime areas. About they all share some common characteristics. Government dependent families generation after generation, Single parent homes, god awful government schools, and very strong democrat districts, and it's someones else fault they are there.

Take a look through the past posts, I remember someone saying people should have access to the same ordinance as the military. There was an actual argument that nukes fall into that category as well and they should have access to those and hand grenades. If they want to go to the store looking like Rambo they should be able to, that was the point behind what I posted.

I wasn't talking about why there are high crime areas, I know what you are already saying. But I also know that there are many folks who don't want government assistance, and some got off of it and did things with their lives. I was saying that flooding a high crime area with guns wouldn't solve the violence, you fight fire with water, not fire.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I do understand what you are saying from having lived there (Dhahran) and seen it. I'm unfortunately not sure that the lessons that we have taught to our children from birth about "stranger danger" here in the US do not convey the same message.

The students here are already living under what we would have considered "prison" conditions. Mine had to be fingerprinted for lunches (Louisiana). Many schools prohibit backpacks to control what is carried in and out or require clear plastic backpacks only. What message does that send?

It is a reality of the world today that we cannot turn our backs on our children or leave them unattended in any public place anymore. This has nothing to do with guns but more to do with those who prey on children in general.

I cannot see the justification nor can I see the reasoning for fighting so hard to leave the schools and the children in them unguarded

I respect your opinion, and I see your side of the argument. I get it. Yes, adding armed guards to our schools could be effective. However, two points:

1. The fact that we even feel the need to do this in the USA is what disturbs me. The reason it’s done in the Middle East is because there is a real, sustained threat of attack on American establishments. I find it sad that we feel so threatened by our own countrymen that we are ready to treat our schools like they are under the constant threat of terrorism.

2. In these schools that are closely guarded, the message the children get is - ‘the people around you are hostile towards you.’ Is that really the message we want to send our children here in the USA? About their fellow countrymen?

Edited by himher

i don't get it.

(laughing)

I'm sure you could scroll all day and never find where someone advocated personal nukes for home defense

Wouldnt that be self-defeating?

Take a look through the past posts, I remember someone saying people should have access to the same ordinance as the military. There was an actual argument that nukes fall into that category as well and they should have access to those and hand grenades. If they want to go to the store looking like Rambo they should be able to, that was the point behind what I posted.

I wasn't talking about why there are high crime areas, I know what you are already saying. But I also know that there are many folks who don't want government assistance, and some got off of it and did things with their lives. I was saying that flooding a high crime area with guns wouldn't solve the violence, you fight fire with water, not fire.

i don't get it.

Well most high crime areas are already flooded with guns, so on base I agree with you. As you said even if guns are illegal in the places you visit they still have them, so a ban is absurd.

Anybody that thinks we should have access to weapons of mass destruction is bent.

I love it when people get ahead in life.....

As you didn't live there you really should add this particular part of the discussion to the growing list of things for which you have nothing valuable to say. The international schools are nothing like maximum security prisons but who goes in and out and what they can bring in and out are tightly controlled. Ditto the international schools in Jakarta. Guarded and gated.

In other words, the kids are SAFE.

Dude, if you like schools like that for your kids, then I recommend Jakarta or some place in the ME for you. I remember going to school w/o ever seeing any armed guards, without there ever being any checks for whatever at the gate and guess what? We were SAFE at school. Yes, that IS possible. Safety for kids in schools w/o barb wire, fences, security checks and guns is possible. I've seen it with my own eyes and I can still see it with my own eyes in developed nations around the world that have sane gun policies. So rather than trying to head down the path of countries that are centuries behind us, I'd rather we take a look at our peers and see what we can learn from them. Trust me, we can learn a lot from them.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove profanity

(laughing)

I'm sure you could scroll all day and never find where someone advocated personal nukes for home defense

Wouldnt that be self-defeating?

Would you like to wager on that, because I am pretty sure I can find it, it would take me a couple of minutes but I saw it with my own eyes.

“Hate is too great a burden to bear. It injures the hater more than it injures the hated.” – Coretta Scott King

"Oppressive language does more than represent violence; it is violence; does more than represent the limits of knowledge; it limits knowledge." -Toni Morrison

He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

President-Obama-jpg.jpg

I find it sad that we feel so threatened by our own countrymen that we are ready to treat our schools like they are under the constant threat of terrorism.

That's the issue that nobody wants to really talk about: The biggest threat that Americans face is, well, Americans. More Americans are killed by Americans with guns every year than there are people killed by terrorists all across the globe. It's that bad. And yet we have morons running around saying all we need are more guns out there on our streets. That's just incomprehensible stupidity.

Edited by Kathryn41
to remove profanity