The Mean Lady

I am so so so so Mad at Myself

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

When I got married, we were pretty much dirt poor, so we just got a set of stainless steel wedding bands (yes, they make them). Luckily they were relatively cheap, because I left it on my desk in my apartment one day and then could never find it again. I get some sort of satisfaction knowing that whatever maintenence guy stole it will be sorely disappointed when he finds out it's worthless.

For a while afterward, I wore a $10 sterling silver Claddagh ring I got at a street fair. It had a depression in the metal on the back to save on material cost, and something got stuck in there one day and left me with a nasty chemical burn on my finger.

I then spent a long time not wearing one, but then remembered my husband once mentioning that he thought a wooden ring would look nice. I found instructions online how to make some with wood veneer and superglue (classy!). So I've made us a set out of maple wood (since we got married in Canada). They actually look really nice, the superglue makes them really shiny, and the wood grain is really pretty. Just waiting to surprise him with his the next time we meet up...

:D

It's not about the cost on them at all.

I think my band was like $120, and honestly, I doubt the engagement ring was that much just by looking at it.

I don't think I have a picture. But it was really DIFFERENT and that's why I loved it.

Plus the whole use-to-belong-to-my-MIL thing makes me feel terrible about losing it.

I'm just hoping my husband will be nice and go through the garbage for me =]

My first engagement ring was given to my husband by my mom and I found out a while later that she took it from MY JEWELRY BOX!

:rofl: It was just costume jewelry and has started to tarnish so I won't wear it anymore.

Do you have pictures of the wood rings? They sound neat!

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

well, get some duct tape and garbage bags.

wrap the garbage bags around your legs, torso, arms,

and secure with the duct tape.

put on some surgical gloves

and start digging..

bonus points if you bring empty garbage bags, and put the contents of the full garbage bags in them, one piece at a time.

alternatively, wrap a table top, dump the contents of a garbage bag at a time, use your meat tongs to dig through the muck.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

That sounds cool, do you still have the instructions? Would love to try that myself.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Bent-Wood-Rings/

It's pretty easy... you just buy wood veneer samples, cut strips out of it and boil them, then superglue it around a marker or something, then sand it down. I can go into more detail with tips, if you'd like. I made about a dozen trying to get the process down.

I got my veneer samples from here:

http://www.veneersupplies.com/products/Wood-Veneer-Samples-8-x-10.html

It's not about the cost on them at all.

I think my band was like $120, and honestly, I doubt the engagement ring was that much just by looking at it.

I don't think I have a picture. But it was really DIFFERENT and that's why I loved it.

Plus the whole use-to-belong-to-my-MIL thing makes me feel terrible about losing it.

Yeah, nothing can really replace sentimental value. Even though that first one was worthless, I'm still mad about losing it.

My first engagement ring was given to my husband by my mom and I found out a while later that she took it from MY JEWELRY BOX!

haha wow... at least they tried for something they knew you'd like!

Timeline

well, get some duct tape and garbage bags.

wrap the garbage bags around your legs, torso, arms,

and secure with the duct tape.

put on some surgical gloves

and start digging..

bonus points if you bring empty garbage bags, and put the contents of the full garbage bags in them, one piece at a time.

alternatively, wrap a table top, dump the contents of a garbage bag at a time, use your meat tongs to dig through the muck.

I was thinking of actually dumping it in the bathtub.

oldlady.gif

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Do you have pictures of the wood rings? They sound neat!

Mine looks about like this one:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/007/0/7228293/il_fullxfull.369773420_p4du.jpg

except I haven't mastered the art of clamping it very tight as it sets, so there is a thin dark line around the outside where the layers are glued together. I tried doing a stone inlay thing early on, but that mostly just turned into a mess.

Timeline

My husband went through the garbage... nothing :(

Mine looks about like this one:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/007/0/7228293/il_fullxfull.369773420_p4du.jpg

except I haven't mastered the art of clamping it very tight as it sets, so there is a thin dark line around the outside where the layers are glued together. I tried doing a stone inlay thing early on, but that mostly just turned into a mess.

cute!

oldlady.gif

Timeline

Next stop is the car... but now i'm just looking in unlikely places.

I keep going to twist them around my finger thinking they'll magically be there.

At least now that I know they're not in the garbage they HAVE to be SOMEWHERE.

oldlady.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I lost my grandma's ring in our old place (small one bedroom apt in Dublin). Looked everywhere for 6 months. Could not find it, resigned myself to it being gone. When we immigrated to the USA, we had the place re-modeled ready for tenants. The workmen found it, under the fitted carpet in the hallway, where I never take of rings. No idea how it got there, Workmen got a big tip :)

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

My advice is to keep your garbage and wait until you are calm to look for it. A lot of times stuff go missing and when I look for them when I'm angry/worried I never find them. However as soon as I'm calm and have a seat that's when I remember where they were, see them laying in plain view or find them in places I just checked.

Hope you find them.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

w00t! Congratlations ! Whatcha cooking, to celebrate ? ;)

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !