Tina&Roland

Naturalizing in the next couple of months?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

We are planning to send in our N-400 application soon. I know it seems too soon from ROC, but better to get it over with and not have to worry, what do you think?

Anyway, just looking for fellow Canadians who think the same! :star:

Take care,

Tina

Naturalization Journey

----------------------------------------------------

12/18/12 - Send N-400 package to Phoenix Lockbox!

12/21/12 - Delivered and signed for by Fernando Dominguez

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

12/28/12 - E-mail notification that biometrics notice was sent!

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

04/02/13 - Interview! Passed!

May 2013 - Oath Ceremony!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey Everyone!

We are planning to send in our N-400 application soon. I know it seems too soon from ROC, but better to get it over with and not have to worry, what do you think?

Anyway, just looking for fellow Canadians who think the same! :star:

Take care,

Tina

If your going to do it eventually...best to do it right away...as you never know what lies ahead.

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Exactly what I was thinking! I'd rather have a problem occur within the 10 years, before it's too late! :whistle:

Naturalization Journey

12/24/12 - E-mail notification that file sent to NBC (now able to check case status online!)

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly what I was thinking! I'd rather have a problem occur within the 10 years, before it's too late! :whistle:

Been 1 or 2 posters that were eligible to Naturalize....then something came up and they had to Move back to Canada................

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Well I'm not canadian but I hope you don't mind me piping in :)

After all the time, money and energy spent on this process, and knowing that you won't lose your home citizenship by applying, I too would do it asap. It means that no matter what life throws at you, immigration would have to be a factor in your decisions. That's a pretty tempting idea!

I'll be filing as soon as i am able and as soon as we can afford it. I'm hoping we get enough of a tax refund to put it aside and wait. Remembering that we'll need that extra bit to file for the passport after the oath ceremony.

Timeline

If you are planning on naturalizing, then go for it as soon as you are eligible - before USCIS has a chance to raise the fees again :D! It is nice to be over and done with USCIS.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

My DH and I want to get naturalization over and done with as soon as we are able. Today I opened the envelope telling my DH that his ROC was approved so I am looking into the Naturalization a bit more. We have another 7 months before we will be married 3 years, but I want to know that if I decide to be a Stay At Home Mom, the government isn't going to make a fuss over my financial sponsorship of my husband. He is gainfully employed so that isn't a worry as far a money goes but still. We are saving our money for Naturalization so that like Kathryn says we won't have to pay more when USCIS raises their fees and then we can just be done with immigration in the U.S. We might look into getting Canadian citizenship for me if we were to move back to Canada.

Timeline

I've been eligible since August. In theory doing it right away is great! I'm going to wait, because of a few personal reasons: a. I am not ready to deal with USCIS again, b. I just spent a lot of time and money on ROC, so I would like to get some use out of that 10 year card, c. Life is so busy right now with a 3 month old, I just don't have the time or energy to get everything together, d. The expense. I will probably file sometime in the next year.

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm not a Canadian, but as somebody who went though the process I would suggest for you to make this a priority.

You just don't know what curb balls life throws at you. You may have to return to Canada for a family emergency, you get an overseas job offer too good to decline, you try to smoke pot and get caught, you have a car accident and somebody gets killed . . . you never know whatcha gonna get.

Becoming an American was the most remarkable day in my life, without an exception, and I had some very remarkable days in the previous 50 years . . .

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Timeline

Just sent our application to the Phoenix Lockbox today! The waiting begins! :whistle:

Naturalization Journey

01/08/13 - Biometrics!

What are the pros of naturalizing? Do I really have to? I'm finding it hard to come to the decision of becoming an American. I know I will always be Canadian but...

OUR TIMELINE AND K1 JOURNEY

Sept 4, 2009...We meet in Toronto, Canada at a Kid Rock concert
Feb 19, 2010...NOA1 recieved in mail
May 19, 2010...NOA2 (92 days)
Sept 24, 2010...Interview! APPROVED! smile.png
Oct 29, 2010...POE--Buffalo, NY
Nov 10, 2010...Courthouse wedding in NY state
Dec 11, 2010...Beach wedding in Hawaii

Dec 09, 2010...NOA for AOS, EAD, AP
Feb 11, 2011...AOS & EAD approved smile.png
Feb 12, 2011...AP approved smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received GREEN CARD smile.png
Feb 18, 2011...Received AP
Feb 22, 2011...Received EAD

Nov 09, 2012...Sent in I-751, Removal of Conditions
Nov 14, 2011...NOA1
Dec 18, 2012...Biometrics

May 03, 2013...10 year GREEN CARD approved! yes.gif

Interesting topic. As of lately I have been thinking of taking "the step" and becoming a US citizen. I have been eligible for a few years now but until recently I have not seriously considered it. Possibly thinking of a career change as I am becoming more and more frustrated with the Canadian gov't and my job with CBSA. Anything similar in "my field" would probably require US citizenship.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.