acha

Applying for Citizenship - Spouse is a citizen

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am married to a US citizen for over 3yrs. I can apply for citizenship but I am planning to do so after my trip to india for 3 1/2 weeks next month.

Do I have to wait any number of months before applying after I come back from my trip since I wasn't in the country for 3.5 weeks? Are there any restrictions?

Please Advise. Thanks you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I am married to a US citizen for over 3yrs. I can apply for citizenship but I am planning to do so after my trip to india for 3 1/2 weeks next month.

Do I have to wait any number of months before applying after I come back from my trip since I wasn't in the country for 3.5 weeks? Are there any restrictions?

Please Advise. Thanks you.

nope, short trips will not hurt, just apply whenever you want to.

These are the requirements from the USCIS website which pertain to your question and your situation.

You must:

• Have continuous residence in the US as a lawful permanent resident for at least 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application
  • Reside continuously within the US from the date of application for naturalization until the time of naturalization
  • Be physically present in the US for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application.

So as long as your 3 1/2 week trip to India does not put you over the allowed time out of the country then you should be good.

Good luck!

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks for all your comments.

Mozplay thats whats very confusing to me because it sounds like I have to file immediately after 18months of continuous stay which sounds to me like if I travel and come back I will have to file after 18months

You're misreading it. It says "Be physically present in the US for at least 18 months out of the 3 years immediately preceding the date of filing the application". This means, in the 3 years before filing your application you need to have been present in the US for at least 18 month of those 3 years (or 36 months).

This means that if during the last 3 years you weren't in the US for at least 18 months, say it was only 15 months in the US, then you need to wait to file until the 3 year period has 18 months presence, in my example that would be waiting an extra 3 months before you file to make sure you have enough time.

Make sense?

Mozplay thats whats very confusing to me because it sounds like I have to file immediately after 18months of continuous stay which sounds to me like if I travel and come back I will have to file after 18months

It seems that it might also be a language thing. Don't confuse "continuous residence" with "continuous stay". You can go on vacation and still be a resident of the U.S. But no.. the short answer is ... IF in the last 3 years, you have accumulated at least 18 months of living in the U.S. (not consecutive months .. just 18 months worth of time) AND you have not been a resident of another country AND (this is a general rule of thumb) you haven't taken any vacations or lived anywhere else for more than 6 months at a time AND you meet all the other requirements (still married, etc.) then go ahead and file.

If you are still uncertain, send me a message (either here or privately) with your date of residency and all your dates of travel since becoming a resident and I'll help you tally it all up and help you know for sure if you've been here in the US for the required 18 months out of 3 years minimum.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

• 9 months later...

I wasn't able to firgure out how to post a new thread! so I hope this helps...

I had my condition green card in 2008 and recieved my permanent one in 2011. I am married to a U.S Citizen.

It is 3 yrs from permanent green card one can apply for naturalization or after the first conditional green card (2008)?

I am getting all sorts of information but don't know whats correct. Please advise.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

I wasn't able to firgure out how to post a new thread! so I hope this helps...

I had my condition green card in 2008 and recieved my permanent one in 2011. I am married to a U.S Citizen.

It is 3 yrs from permanent green card one can apply for naturalization or after the first conditional green card (2008)?

I am getting all sorts of information but don't know whats correct. Please advise.

If you look at the conditional and the 10 year green card. both have a resident since date. You have to add 3 years minus 90 days from the date. that's when you are eligible for naturalization. Thank God that USCIS counts our time we spend as conditional residents. So yes it's from the day you got your conditional green card. Going for trips outside the US that are less then 6 months do not bother you at all. So when you get back from your trip you shouldn't have any problems you can apply the next day if you want. Good luck in your journey.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

And to note, what you are doing is the smart way of doing it. Applying for Citizenship AFTER you take your trip. So many people on here have an issue by applying for their Citizenship and then taking their trip after, only to find out that their interview or oath dates etc fall on the time they are out of the country. That leads to lots of other issues and problems with re-scheduling things, getting lost in the system, waiting for an undetermined amount of time before they get their next interview or oath date etc.

So it's nice to finally see someone that is actually going about the N-400 the proper way...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you've been a GC holder since 2008, you're eligible to apply under the 5 yr rule...which requires less burden of proof . Why not choose that option

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

Thanks!

I was confused as my lawyer had told me its only 3 yrs after receiving my permanent green card can I apply for naturalization. But now im finding out thats not the case and I could have applied in 2011. Is that correct? I just want to be sure before I apply for the 5yr rule.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.