P A U L

Russian Int'l Driver's License

22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

so, my lady is going through driver training in Russia, and i was wondering if an International driver's license issued to her in Russia would permit her to drive in USA? would i be able to effortlessly (relatively) be able to have her apply for a new California license without needing to get a learner's permit/driving test at the DMV?

I would call the CA DMV. Every state is different. Have you checked their website?

The reason I ask, is because here you have to take a Washington State DMV written and driving test to obtain a license even if you have one from another state.

However, if someone is over the age of 18, he/she can obtain a learners permit without being enrolled in drivers education classes.

Edited by Bumbero

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

so, my lady is going through driver training in Russia, and i was wondering if an International driver's license issued to her in Russia would permit her to drive in USA? would i be able to effortlessly (relatively) be able to have her apply for a new California license without needing to get a learner's permit/driving test at the DMV?

Depends on your state. Vermont accepted Alla's for 60 days. (fools) We used it as her learners permit

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

a international driver's license is essentially just a translation of the foreign license.

In California you have 10 days to get your license. you have to take the eye test, written test and driver's test.

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Here yer go; http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/353398-ca-driver-license/

But I agree, check with the state first and see what's required.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

There is no such thing as an International Drivers License. Yes there is an International Drivers something or other....it's only an English translation of her Russian license. She would have to retest and obtain her own DL in your state.

Now, some states accepts, on a temporary basis, the usage of a valid foreign license.......but......here's the rub........most insurance companies will not accept or insure someone here driving on a foreign license. Many will only offer insurance to a US DL holder. Check that out.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

There is no such thing as an International Drivers License. Yes there is an International Drivers something or other....it's only an English translation of her Russian license. She would have to retest and obtain her own DL in your state.

Now, some states accepts, on a temporary basis, the usage of a valid foreign license.......but......here's the rub........most insurance companies will not accept or insure someone here driving on a foreign license. Many will only offer insurance to a US DL holder. Check that out.

All true. Cover the insurance bases. We did most of her training on very rural, mostly private, roads. (lots of private roads in rural Vermont) Insurance was not such an issue for us at that time.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

a international driver's license is essentially just a translation of the foreign license.

In California you have 10 days to get your license. you have to take the eye test, written test and driver's test.

Just to be clear, it is 10 days after becoming a resident as defined by the link you provided above. Each state defines what is considered resedency, but as it states on the CA DMV site it is typically those benefits not offered to non-residences. For example, in CO you can go 90 days of continuous presence and then have 30 days to get a CO DL if you fail to meet any of the other residency requirements. I think the insurance question is more important as you do not want to have to pay for an accident out of your own pocket if denied coverage.

Dave

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In Maryland it is 30 days after becoming a resident but the State Police will write you a ticket for Driving without a valid licenses if they stop you and you do not have a B1/B2 visa and international drivers licenses and you have to go to court and fight it out with the Judge.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I think the insurance question is more important as you do not want to have to pay for an accident out of your own pocket if denied coverage.

In some states it's illegal to drive without insurance, regardless of who pays.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

In some states it's illegal to drive without insurance, regardless of who pays.

Quite true. The point I was trying to make was that it may be legal to drive on the international drivers license, you think you have proper insurance on the vehicle, and then should there be an accident the insurance company comes along and says "We are not going to cover you for this" and the other insurance company sues you for their out-of-pocket costs. Better to check that the person with an international drvier's license is covered. I do remember an old insurance agent telling me it is the car that is covered not the person, but then why is the insurance in the name of the driver of the car? I also remember when I was a teenager that as long as I had my parent's approval to drive their car I was covered under their policy. Times are different now, so I would check with your insuarnce carrier to make certain someone with an international DL is actually covered.

Dave

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

i guess i'll just have to have my wife take the written and re-take the behind-the-wheel test here in CA when she gets here..

maybe i should tell her to not spend the money in russia on driving courses... hmm

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

i guess i'll just have to have my wife take the written and re-take the behind-the-wheel test here in CA when she gets here..

maybe i should tell her to not spend the money in russia on driving courses... hmm

It depends. In my state, I had to have a learner's permit for 180 days which meant that I couldn't go anywhere in a vehicle without having someone with a valid driver's license with me. Would've been nice to skip those 180 days.

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.