tEe328cEe

which is faster spouse or fiance visa?

28 posts in this topic

me and my fiance are planning to get married here on philippines this december.

Be sure you plan enough time for the wedding. You will need at least 11 days to acquire the marriage license, if you can manage to get his Affidavit of Freedom to Marry from the Embassy on the first day he's in Manila.

Yes, the CR-1 route is better if you want to save money and are in need of a co-sponsor (the US Embassy in Manila generally denies co-sponsors on K-1 visa applications).

If you have any lingering doubts about your ability to live with one another and you believe you may not adjust well to living in the US perhaps the K-1 visa would do you good as it gives you 90 days to marry and time to change your mind.

Good luck!

But what's it like getting into the US once you have a wife (USC) living in the US. I had got the impression that it was rather more difficult getting in for routine visits during the visa process than for a K1.

Richard

event.png

event.png

me and my fiance are planning to get married here on philippines this december. but then in that case, we have to file for the CR-1 visa when he gets back in the US. i'm still thinking of having the k-1 visa which i heard is faster than the CR-1. help please on what to choose i just don't want to be away from him for a long time. thanks a lot for your opinions! i would greatly appreciate it =)

Apply the k-1 right away after he visit you, in that way, you dont wont be away from each other longer, if you apply for CR-1 after you get married there you need to wait for a year or couple years not sure.

but getting married in USA is more expensive than getting married in philippines, its your choice. Goodluck!

God bless!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

But what's it like getting into the US once you have a wife (USC) living in the US. I had got the impression that it was rather more difficult getting in for routine visits during the visa process than for a K1.

I entered the US 4 or 5 times on the VWP to visit my wife after we were married in Scotland. I never had a problem. I brought stacks of evidence to prove I had ties to home but I was never asked for any of it. I never stayed more than 1 week at a time which helps. I would think if you are planning on staying for the full 90 days there might be a problem getting in.

We took the CR1 route. It only took a total of 7 months. From the day you enter on a CR1 you can work and travel and get a drivers license etc. The K1 has a lot more steps and a lot more paperwork and costs a lot more in the long run. It is hard being apart from your spouse as soon as you are married though.

bostonharborpanoramabyc.jpg

"Boston is the only major city that if you f*** with them, they will shut down the whole city, stop everything, an find you". Adam Sandler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Apply the k-1 right away after he visit you, in that way, you dont wont be away from each other longer, if you apply for CR-1 after you get married there you need to wait for a year or couple years not sure.

but getting married in USA is more expensive than getting married in philippines, its your choice. Goodluck!

God bless!

it is not a couple year wait for the cr1...it is an extra 2 or 3 months at the most

Filed: Timeline

If you want to be together fast then k1 is the choice.

Edited by lalla

06-21-2012- sent I-129F petition

06-25-2012 - NOA1

06-30-2012 - NOA1 hard copy received

09-13-2012 - NOA2

09-17-2012 - NOA2 hard copy received

09-19-2012 - NVC received

09-20-2012 - Case# received

09-24-2012 - NVC left

09-27-2012 - consulate received

10-18-2012 - interview approved pending I-134 form (was submitted not sure what happen)

10-25-2012 - resubmitted I-134 and asked to pick up visa on the 10-30-2012

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

me and my fiance are planning to get married here on philippines this december. but then in that case, we have to file for the CR-1 visa when he gets back in the US. i'm still thinking of having the k-1 visa which i heard is faster than the CR-1. help please on what to choose i just don't want to be away from him for a long time. thanks a lot for your opinions! i would greatly appreciate it =)

If this helps at all, we went the CR1 route because we wanted to have the opportunity to celebrate our marriage and the union of our two families at the wedding, and it was way easier to get everybody to my hometown than to the States (you have to think of tickets, logding, visas, etc. etc.). Another big reason was a financial factor - my spouse is going for his Masters in the US and I have a very good job in my hometown, and the fact that with the K1 you have to wait until AOS until and all that to be able to work felt like would be a significant financial burden on us.

If time away from your love is a huge factor, you might want to take a look at where your case would be processed.. and think about how long this process will actually take for you if you did the CR1. The reference and comparison charts are one thing, but you must know that the California Service Center is moving way faster than Vermont, for example. Just to give you an idea, people who filed their I-130 at the CSC the SAME WEEK that we filed ours at the VSC (we filed at the Chicago Lockbox and it got redirected to Vermont) already got their NOA2 in late July, while we just got our NOA2 in late September. Whatever route you take, considering the pros and cons, you should make sure you have realistic expectations.. Also know that you can still travel to the US to visit while your case is pending (even if you don't have a tourist visa, you can even apply for one - although showing your ties to your country and prove your case as a non-immigrant might be harder)... so 2-3 months might not be as big of a difference.

Good luck deciding.. i know how nerve-wracking this decision can be, but as long as you make that decision together everything will be just fine!

USCIS: 154 days @ VSC

04/12/2012 - 1-130 Petition sent

04/19/2012 - I-130 received

04/26/2012 - NOA1

09/20/2012 - Petition APPROVED!!! Sent to NVC

09/21/2012 - NOA2 (text mssg approval)

NVC: 62 days until Case FWD to Consulate

09/26/2012 - Received by NVC

09/28/2012 - Case Number assigned

10/02/2012 - Invoice ID Number (IIN) assigned

10/02/2012 - DS-3032 and I-864 Bill generated; DS-3032 emailed, AOS bill paid

10/03/2012 - AOS shows as "PAID"

10/09/2012 - I-864 AOS sent

10/10/2012 - I-864 AOS arrived at NVC

10/17/2012 - DS-3032 Accepted

10/18/2012 - Receive "AOS payment arrived at NVC" email

10/19/2012 - IV bill generated and paid

10/22/2012 - IV shows as "PAID"; I-864 accepted and COMPLETE!!!

10/23/2012 - IV Application sent

10/24/2012 - IV Application arrived at NVC

11/07/2012 - IV accepted and complete

11/07/2012 - Case Complete

11/26/2012 - Interview Scheduled

11/27/2012 - Case Forwarded to GYQ Consulate

Guayaquil Consulate:

12/03/2012 - Medical

01/29/2013 - Interview - APPROVED!!!!!

02/06/2013 - Passport ready for pick up at DHL

02/13/2013 - POE MIA - Living happily ever after!

event.png

event.png

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

well, from what I was told by the USCIS the spouse visa is faster...My husband and I was going to do the fiance visa but the women at the USCIS I spoke with told me that the spouse visa is faster because the NVC is very hard on the fiance visa because of all the fraud people are committed with them. So I married my husband in Nigeria applied for the spouse visa and it only took 9 months and 2 weeks to get approved and now hes coming home. Hope this helps!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Laos
Timeline

even tho we had no large bumps on our K1 path i think i would have rather done CR1. With K1, a little more paperwork and waiting after coming to US. Can't work or travel until EAD/AP, have to wait for greencard (and it's been almost 8 months now), and still may have to do another interview for greencard (not everyone has to interview tho). i think if i had to do it over i would have done the CR1 and wouldn't mind the wait.

the time of being separated really depends on how difficult your case is, how many rfe you receive, and when you apply (sometimes the service centers slows down with the load that they get).

Edited by hnubno

guys thank you very much for your posts =) you really took time to help me out. thanks thanks thanks!

to those who are still waiting for their visa, the best of luck..

and to those who are already with their loved ones, i wish you happiness..

God bless us all :)

It seems you've have a good idea which way to go. But to get in my last 2cents, just wanted to say we now wish we followed the Spousal route instead. Thanks for the best wishes and same to you in whatever you choose to do (F) (F)

K1 Visa - Dates in UK format

02/05/2012 I-129F Sent
07/05/2012 I-129F NOA1
02/11/2012 I-129F NOA2
14/11/2012 NVC Left
29/11/2012 Packet 3 Received
07/12/2012 Medical
12/12/2012 Packet 3 Sent
30/01/2013 Packet 4 Received
20/02/2013 Interview Date - Approved!
28/02/2013 Visa Received
03/06/2013 US Entry smile.png

22/06/2013 Marriage (Beautiful day) heart.gifrose.gif

AOS & EAD - Dates in US format

07/29/2013 Filing date

08/06/2013 NOA1

08/28/2013 Biometrics Apt

06/23/2014 Green Card

Its much more difficult for the embassy in manila to deny a IR1/CR1 visa after it has been approved back at the NVC. They have to showl fraud was commiteed.

It is far more likely that a K1 visa gets denited but still not that likely.

My wife and I went the CR1 route because she wanted to get married in her home town in front of her family and friends.

You can work much sooner, months when coming on a CR1 visa. You get your Green card and social security card within several weeks of arriving and you can work right away.

You decide if its worth the chance of being denied on a K1 visa.

Also the manila embassy will not allow co-sponsor for K1 visa. That was not an issue for us because my income was well beyond what is required.

It took 10 months from the time I sent in the I-130 form to her arrival in the USA. 5 months at USCIS and approximately 3 months at NVC and 1 month to get interview scheduled and two weeks after interview to get her here in the USA

Edited by bestofboston

we've finally decided guys... we're getting married on december and take the CR-1 route :thumbs: thanks a lot for your inputs it helped me big time :)

the best of luck to all of us :thumbs:

AOS TIMELINE

07-14-14: Mailed AOS packet via USPS express mail

07-15-14: AOS packet delivered

07-17-14: Got email notification from USCIS

07-21-14: received 3 NOA1 (AOS, EAD, AP) from the mail

07-28-14: received biometrics appointment letter (schedule on 08-11)

08-11-14: biometrics done

08-19-14: status is on "Testing and Interview"

09-11-14: EAD/AP approved

09-19-14: EAD/AP combo card received

10-06-14: case status update - interview scheduled on 11-06-14

10-08-14: received interview notice in the mail

11-06-14: Interview (Approved)

11-06-14: case status update "Card/Document Production"

11-07-14: case status update "Welcome Notice was Mailed"

11-13-14: case status update "Card was mailed to Me"

11-15-14: received GC and Welcome letter

ROC TIMELINE:

09-07-16: mailed I-751 packet

09-09-16: ROC packet delivered

09-14-16: check cashed

09-16-16: NOA received

09-26-16: Biometrics appointment received

10-12-16: Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.