akihon

Is there some sort of US-Taiwan agreement regarding GCs?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I have seen some cases where people have been visiting once a year successfully and then they have a problem.

I am sure there are others who have been doing it for years.

All you have said is that he came here once, but not what the subsequent pattern has been.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen some cases where people have been visiting once a year successfully and then they have a problem.

I am sure there are others who have been doing it for years.

All you have said is that he came here once, but not what the subsequent pattern has been.

I don't know what the subsequent pattern is. I don't even know this person. The only reason why I've even heard of this person is because he is being used by my parents for justification to sponsor their GCs when I become a citizen. If you look at my other topic, you'll see that they have no intention of living in the US. I opened this thread because I was trying to see if it was really doable (and yes, I know it's abusing the GC system)

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Other Timeline

I remember a CNN report that Saudis who had never lived here had GC and even citizenship, of course they were very wealthy & connected folks, This kind of thing dont happen to peons, but thats what the report was about the wait time for others while these ppl got what they want know what that is everywhere....one just dont know.

Timeline

Have they tried to get visitor visas?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Have they tried to get visitor visas?

they visited me earlier this year, but apparently lied on their I-94s about their address of stay (they stayed with me, but used my sibling's temporary school address just to show immigration that they were really here temporarily). they also described how they witnessed a lot of people at the US embassy get turned down for visitor visas because they had US citizen relatives in the US. That's why they want the GC, and they think they can do this because of this one Taiwanese guy they talk about.

No idea who he is, but eventually, when I have the conversation with them about their GC, I want to be able to completely dismiss the idea of them having GCs without living in the US (and most likely also not filing US taxes - I don't think they realize this aspect of LPR requirements yet) because that is not what the GC is for and it would be a waste of time petitioning for them if they're inevitably going to have their statuses revoked.

Hence why I started this thread. It looks like it's a hit or miss really, but you're right; without knowing subsequent patterns of entering and leaving the US, I have no idea if this guy even has his GC still

Edited by akihon

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Filed: Timeline

I remember a CNN report that Saudis who had never lived here had GC and even citizenship, of course they were very wealthy & connected folks, This kind of thing dont happen to peons, but thats what the report was about the wait time for others while these ppl got what they want know what that is everywhere....one just dont know.

Spot on. Money changes everything.

If you have 100 million in the US, as an example then all bets are off. Not sure about citizenship and GC but getting a visa is a non issue.

Timeline

EB5 all the way.

so my friend was right about the wealthy part. Okay.

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The older GC did not expire, they have been sending out letters to the ppl who had an older card. All the old GC were to be exchange for the newer types.

I have met ppl who have family members who still have these cards who think they can come back to the US without any problems. Some of these ppl have been gone for 10-20 years, at one point they did come back to visit but it still has been 10yrs since they did that. None of the, will ever live here again. I'm sure by now USCIS has tried to contact them to renew their old card with the newer one and when that failed most likely the cards, and would be caught on re entry.

It's possible the person your parents are using as an example has one of those GC without expiry date on it and he thinks it is still good.

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

The older GC did not expire, they have been sending out letters to the ppl who had an older card. All the old GC were to be exchange for the newer types.

I have met ppl who have family members who still have these cards who think they can come back to the US without any problems. Some of these ppl have been gone for 10-20 years, at one point they did come back to visit but it still has been 10yrs since they did that. None of the, will ever live here again. I'm sure by now USCIS has tried to contact them to renew their old card with the newer one and when that failed most likely the cards, and would be caught on re entry.

It's possible the person your parents are using as an example has one of those GC without expiry date on it and he thinks it is still good.

wow, that I didn't know. that's very helpful, thank you very much :)

Removal of Conditions
Naturalization

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Having a GC in your wallet can be different than being a permanent resident. I still have my student ID, but I graduated back in 2003.

EB5 is not only for Taiwanese, but for anyone who can make an investment of at least $1M ($500K in disadvantaged areas) and employ at least 10 US people (citizens and LPRs). You can get a GC, but you have to live here like every other LPR. After 2 years you have the same requirements of removing conditions (different form, though) to show that your investment is still viable.

Edited by newlyweds2010

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

they visited me earlier this year, but apparently lied on their I-94s about their address of stay (they stayed with me, but used my sibling's temporary school address just to show immigration that they were really here temporarily). they also described how they witnessed a lot of people at the US embassy get turned down for visitor visas because they had US citizen relatives in the US. That's why they want the GC, and they think they can do this because of this one Taiwanese guy they talk about.

No idea who he is, but eventually, when I have the conversation with them about their GC, I want to be able to completely dismiss the idea of them having GCs without living in the US (and most likely also not filing US taxes - I don't think they realize this aspect of LPR requirements yet) because that is not what the GC is for and it would be a waste of time petitioning for them if they're inevitably going to have their statuses revoked.

Hence why I started this thread. It looks like it's a hit or miss really, but you're right; without knowing subsequent patterns of entering and leaving the US, I have no idea if this guy even has his GC still

If they tell you that they are LPR and don't file taxes, this may well be true. Many people commit illegal activities. Some (many, I like to think) get caught, though.

The hotel owner in Tanjay Philippines was able to get a green card but they told me that have go to the USA once every so many months to keep it valid.

They live in Tanjay Phillipines.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.