weng&cameron

reaching the poverty guidelines

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hello guys i would like to ask how would u know that u reach the poverty guidelines in affidavit of support where the consulate look for your total income in 1040? my fiancee have 1099 and he earns 40k yearly..but his total income there in 1040 was 15k??do we reach the poverty guide lines? why his 1099 and 1040 his total income is not the same? he is self-employed...

thank u....for some reply..

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking about with 1099 and 1040 but for two people in almost all states, the poverty limit is $15,130, so I guess as long as you are over that you are ok.

I imagine it is something to do with total and then taxable income.

http://www.gafnervisalaw.com/2012/02/06/2012-poverty-guidelines-released-i-864-affidavit-of-support-and-i-134-affidavit-of-support/

A dream is a wish your heart makes.

10/02/12 - Sent off I-485 Adjustment of Status Packet
10/15/12 - Received NOA1 by text
11/13/12 - Biometrics appointment
12/13/12 - EAD approved
12/18/12 - EAD card ordered
12/19/12 - EAD card shipped
12/22/12 - EAD card received
01/30/13 - AOS interview date
01/30/13 - RFE (They lost my medical record!!!)
04/16/13 - New medical performed
04/19/13 - Results sent to USCIS
05/18/13 - Approved for Conditional Residency
05/18/13 - Card ordered.

Timeline

My guess is the 15k is taxable income after deductions. The 40k could be total gross income. If that's the case his income would be fine as they look at total gross income, unless he has a very large number of dependents. If the 15k is real total income, he doesn't get over the minimum requirement.

Best of luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking about with 1099 and 1040 but for two people in almost all states, the poverty limit is $15,130, so I guess as long as you are over that you are ok.

I imagine it is something to do with total and then taxable income.

http://www.gafnervis...vit-of-support/

That amount is for military for two the guidleine is $18,912.

Here is the USCIS site, bAlso I know for self-employed because you can deduct so much its really hard for people to use. Crunch those numbers.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

For 2 people he would need to show at least $18,912. For the self-employed they go by line 22 of the most recent 1040. His 1040 and 1099 show different amounts because line 22 (total income) gets tallied after business deductions(from schedule c) are subtracted. He may need to take less deductions and pay more in taxes in order to show enough income on his 1040.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

My guess is the 15k is taxable income after deductions. The 40k could be total gross income. If that's the case his income would be fine as they look at total gross income, unless he has a very large number of dependents. If the 15k is real total income, he doesn't get over the minimum requirement.

Best of luck!

so where the consulate look if we can reach the poverty guidelines or not is it in the total gross income or the total amount after deduction in 1040..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

so where the consulate look if we can reach the poverty guidelines or not is it in the total gross income or the total amount after deduction in 1040..

Answered above. For self-employed they look at line 22(total income) of the most recent 1040 tax form.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was in the same boat, my adjusted income was below the poverty level so I have to show assets to make up the shortfall amount for 5 years I believe. I have enough in my saving to more then cover the difference so I should be OK.

If the self employed adjusted income on line 22 is 15k then he needs to show assets of about 4k per year for the 5 years. This is my understanding of how it works. I'm only unsure if it's 3 or 5 years, sorry.

Timeline

I was in the same boat, my adjusted income was below the poverty level so I have to show assets to make up the shortfall amount for 5 years I believe. I have enough in my saving to more then cover the difference so I should be OK.

If the self employed adjusted income on line 22 is 15k then he needs to show assets of about 4k per year for the 5 years. This is my understanding of how it works. I'm only unsure if it's 3 or 5 years, sorry.

oh my god can we ask for joint sponsor? who can be joint sponsor is it ok other person like his boss or secretary??

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

oh my god can we ask for joint sponsor? who can be joint sponsor is it ok other person like his boss or secretary??

Manila very very rare;y accepts co-sponsors for the K1, and if they do, it must be a close relative.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

For 2 people he would need to show at least $18,912. For the self-employed they go by line 22 of the most recent 1040. His 1040 and 1099 show different amounts because line 22 (total income) gets tallied after business deductions(from schedule c) are subtracted. He may need to take less deductions and pay more in taxes in order to show enough income on his 1040.

so is this mean even he earned 40k but his total amount of income in line 22 is 15k because lot of deduction from schedule c still a public charge??we not reach the guidelines?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.