EmberEmpress

About to file K-1 petition

23 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone!

My Fiance and I are about to send in our K1 packet and would like any last minute helpful hints. We have read all the guides and I have spent hours reading topics in all the forums. I guess I'm looking for typical things missed in the filing or reasons the USCIS needed more evidence. Also in reading the forums I got the general impression that putting the packet together with formal legal tabs and a nice bound cover wasn't necessary since they just tear it apart and make their own - should I continue with my plan of putting together a "fancy" presentation? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank you all in advance!! :)

Aubrey

~You to me are everything; the sweetest song that I could sing.~

Hello everyone!

My Fiance and I are about to send in our K1 packet and would like any last minute helpful hints. We have read all the guides and I have spent hours reading topics in all the forums. I guess I'm looking for typical things missed in the filing or reasons the USCIS needed more evidence. Also in reading the forums I got the general impression that putting the packet together with formal legal tabs and a nice bound cover wasn't necessary since they just tear it apart and make their own - should I continue with my plan of putting together a "fancy" presentation? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank you all in advance!! :)

Aubrey

No need for a fancy presentation. They honestly will just take it apart. I separated my "sections" with paperclips and put the sections in the order that I listed on my cover letter. That was it.

Typical things missed seem to be really easy things to fix such as unintentionally leaving something blank on the petition or any of the other forms. Put "none" or "N/A" instead of leaving anything blank. Look over all of your forms two or three more times to make sure there's nothing you've forgotten to fill in or no boxes that you forgot to check.

I also printed out all the requirements and checked off everything as I included it - you can always post a list of what you've included here so that people can review it as well.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Venezuela
Timeline

In our case, we didn't care a thing if USCIS destroyed our package but we still sent it in very fancy presentation. We choose a 3 ring white binder and bought also 3 whole plastic sheet bags. It was really cool cause we made like a sort of "book" with our paperwork. The plastic sheet bags allowed us to avoid staples and paper clips, keep our papers safe and it was easy for the USCIS staff to find any docunent inside our package. In the cover letter we created an INDEX so they can go to a certain page and found what they need. We also bought 3 wholes plastic sheet bags made specially to keep photos and you only need to attached at the end of the paperwork inside the same binder, so USCIS staff can check our photos like an album, all in the same binder. We put a huge sticker outside with our names, our petition and address. We were so proud of our package that we did the same thing with my AoS package. I dont know if the way we present my k1 package had something to do with the fact that only took me 120 days to get my noa 2 (4 month only which is nothing). But I truly believe, that a very well organized a well present package, speaks volumes of the person who is sending it. Im a psychologist and is very well known, that people rather to work with organize items cause make their work easier. Is more easy work with a package where you can find anything quick, than working with a messy package where you need to go back and forth to find a piece of paper. But that just my opinion:) wishing you tons of blessings in your new journey!

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

YIRsm4.png   Mi1Gm4.pngTh37m4.png    

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

fNidm5.png NXDpm4.png    VaECm4.png 

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

In our case, we didn't care a thing if USCIS destroyed our package but we still sent it in very fancy presentation. We choose a 3 ring white binder and bought also 3 whole plastic sheet bags. It was really cool cause we made like a sort of "book" with our paperwork. The plastic sheet bags allowed us to avoid staples and paper clips, keep our papers safe and it was easy for the USCIS staff to find any docunent inside our package. In the cover letter we created an INDEX so they can go to a certain page and found what they need. We also bought 3 wholes plastic sheet bags made specially to keep photos and you only need to attached at the end of the paperwork inside the same binder, so USCIS staff can check our photos like an album, all in the same binder. We put a huge sticker outside with our names, our petition and address. We were so proud of our package that we did the same thing with my AoS package. I dont know if the way we present my k1 package had something to do with the fact that only took me 120 days to get my noa 2 (4 month only which is nothing). But I truly believe, that a very well organized a well present package, speaks volumes of the person who is sending it. Im a psychologist and is very well known, that people rather to work with organize items cause make their work easier. Is more easy work with a package where you can find anything quick, than working with a messy package where you need to go back and forth to find a piece of paper. But that just my opinion:) wishing you tons of blessings in your new journey!

Nobody is saying to send a messy, unorganized package. But sending in an entire binder with plastic sheets is a waste of time, and will be thrown away. If the OP wants to waste their time, they are obviously free to do so. But it's actually just more work for the adjudicator who then has to take apart your fancy, pretty presentation and put it into their own order.

Nothing wrong with just sending in a stack of paper, neatly divided with paperclips, and a cover letter. It can be just as organized as it would be in a binder.

The way you presented your package has nothing to do with how fast it got adjudicated.

This has nothing to do with psychology.

Timeline

Nobody is saying to send a messy, unorganized package. But sending in an entire binder with plastic sheets is a waste of time, and will be thrown away. If the OP wants to waste their time, they are obviously free to do so. But it's actually just more work for the adjudicator who then has to take apart your fancy, pretty presentation and put it into their own order.

Nothing wrong with just sending in a stack of paper, neatly divided with paperclips, and a cover letter. It can be just as organized as it would be in a binder.

The way you presented your package has nothing to do with how fast it got adjudicated.

This has nothing to do with psychology.

I think Im free of giving my opinion. I neither said that any of you sent a messy package either. I think you need to read things again. Im NOT saying either that the way we presented my package is the official, or the best way, Im just SHARING my experience. i think the OP is FREE to do with my advice what ever he/she thinks is best . If you sent a stack of paper, good for you! Is your way to do things and Im not criticizing you,either. And if the way I sent my package made it faster or not, as I said, I DONT know and I guess you CANT either, so far I know you are not an USCIS staff. Im not saying EITHER that an immigration process has something to do with psychology, im saying that people responds better and positive to the organization of the items the need to work with, doesn't matter if an USCIS staff, a lawyer, a school teacher. If Im saying it its because I KNOW. I've been in the psychology field for 8 years now. Im sorry if you took my advice to the OP personally, but this is not about you, is about sharing our different experiences with other so they can have the info they need and make the decision they thinks is better for them. Any kind of rudeness is totally unnecessary. You have your ways yo do things I have mine so both ways deserve respect! Blessings

Edited by Andrea&Henry

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

2013                                                  2014                                                     2015

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

I think Im free of giving my opinion. I neither said that any of you sent a messy package either. I think you need to read things again. Im NOT saying either that the way we presented my package is the official, or the best way, Im just SHARING my experience. i think the OP is FREE to do with my advice what ever he/she thinks is best . If you sent a stack of paper, good for you! Is your way to do things and Im not criticizing you,either. And if the way I sent my package made it faster or not, as I said, I DONT know and I guess you CANT either, so far I know you are not an USCIS staff. Im not saying EITHER that an immigration process has something to do with psychology, im saying that people responds better and positive to the organization of the items the need to work with, doesn't matter if an USCIS staff, a lawyer, a school teacher. If Im saying it its because I KNOW. I've been in the psychology field for 8 years now. Im sorry if you took my advice to the OP personally, but this is not about you, is about sharing our different experiences with other so they can have the info they need and make the decision they thinks is better for them. Any kind of rudeness is totally unnecessary. You have your ways yo do things I have mine so both ways deserve respect! Blessings

I think you're overreacting to my response.

I wasn't rude nor did I say you weren't free to give your opinion. I also didn't take your advice personally. I simply responded to it with advice of my own.

I said that a pretty, fancy binder will not get your case adjudicated any faster and isn't necessary since it will be taken apart.

That's it, that's all.

Timeline

Is not the way you say things is about how you say it. As I said for me, it wasnt a waste of time or money the binder stuff, i saw it as an investment, and we went great. Its a matter of differents opinion, hoefully the OP will take the best decision for their case. Wishing them a great journey.

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Is not the way you say things is about how you say it. As I said for me, it wasnt a waste of time or money the binder stuff, i saw it as an investment, and we went great. Its a matter of differents opinion, hoefully the OP will take the best decision for their case. Wishing them a great journey.

I don't understand this. But I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. The OP, like I said, is free to do whatever they'd like.

Timeline

Agree :)

OUR AMAZING JOURNEY 

UiSpm4.pngHWwxm4.png

VRj7m4.png4IFnm4.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

No need for a fancy presentation. They honestly will just take it apart. I separated my "sections" with paperclips and put the sections in the order that I listed on my cover letter. That was it.

Typical things missed seem to be really easy things to fix such as unintentionally leaving something blank on the petition or any of the other forms. Put "none" or "N/A" instead of leaving anything blank. Look over all of your forms two or three more times to make sure there's nothing you've forgotten to fill in or no boxes that you forgot to check.

I also printed out all the requirements and checked off everything as I included it - you can always post a list of what you've included here so that people can review it as well.

What the lady said good.gif

I also agree with this one. :thumbs: Contractors (not USCIS) at the lockbox open the mail and put together a folder in a standard format with two punches at the top. Some items go on the left and some go on the right of the open folder. They check for the basics in the packet...like signatures, payment.They make no decisions or evaluations on the case. Then they ship it off to a service center.

The USCIS employee who finally picks up the folder to make a decision on the case will see the aftermath of a "lovely presentation"....no binders or plastic, three extra holes in every page, tabs that aren't sequential or were cut off if the were on the side of the page, no table of contents but maybe some random page numbers out of order. That might make a worse impression than a neat stack with some paperclips that looked neater in the final standard assembly. But both kinds will get approved if the requirements are met.

TO THE OP: Was the UK beneficiary divorced by chance? If so, I'll give you a heads up on UK divorce decrees that sometimes are a problem.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Thank you everyone for all your information!

The beneficiary was not divorced but any help is appreciated! :D

Timeline

I've been reading about RFE's and I was wondering if I (petitioner)should send, along with my certified copy of my divorce decree,the long form of my decree that spells everything out and has multiple signatures such as the Judge and my own and my ex-husbands? :blink:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I've been reading about RFE's and I was wondering if I (petitioner)should send, along with my certified copy of my divorce decree,the long form of my decree that spells everything out and has multiple signatures such as the Judge and my own and my ex-husbands? :blink:

Yes! To file the petition send the long form, the most complete decree that shows everything!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.