Mezzacalc

Request For Evidence - Affidavit of Support

15 posts in this topic

Hi!

I just received RFE from USCIS, in which they require joint sponsor/assets. I am surprised because my wife is earning around $20,000 annually, working as a babysitter, and the minimum income requirement for a household of two persons is $18,912. We provided them with her federal income tax return (Form 1040 and Schedule SE-Z). I read thoroughly all the instructions for I-864.

What is the “annual income” for USCIS? Income earned from January 1st till December 31st? Or during an annual period beginning from any day during the year? She began working in May 2011 and for the period from May 2011 to May 2012 she earned 20,000. In Form 1040 her income for 2011 was $11,600 (from June 2011 to December 2011, 7 months). This is the number she put in Part 25 of the Affidavit of Support, I-864 (“Federal Income Tax Information”). $11,600 is only 7/12th of her total annual income (which, is $11,600*12/7=$19,900).

We also sent them the letter from her client, in which the client confirms the annual income of $20,000.

Can it be a mistake from USCIS's side? If yes, can we show them it and they admit it (do we need a lawyer for this?)

Thank you!

Most likely it would be her earnings from jan 11 to dec 11 and since her income was less than 19 k. You need to get a co sponsor

AOS from F-1(Married to USC
06.08.12 - AOS mailed
09.18.12 - Interview.....Approved!!

ROC- Divorce Waiver
05/09/14- I-751 packet mailed to CSC
05/12/14- NOA1 Receipt date
07/01/14- Biometrics Appt

08/11/14- RFE received

09/08/14- RFE response received by USCIS

09/22/14- 10yrs GC Approved!!

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi!

I just received RFE from USCIS, in which they require joint sponsor/assets. I am surprised because my wife is earning around $20,000 annually, working as a babysitter, and the minimum income requirement for a household of two persons is $18,912. We provided them with her federal income tax return (Form 1040 and Schedule SE-Z). I read thoroughly all the instructions for I-864.

What is the “annual income” for USCIS? Income earned from January 1st till December 31st? Or during an annual period beginning from any day during the year? She began working in May 2011 and for the period from May 2011 to May 2012 she earned 20,000. In Form 1040 her income for 2011 was $11,600 (from June 2011 to December 2011, 7 months). This is the number she put in Part 25 of the Affidavit of Support, I-864 (“Federal Income Tax Information”). $11,600 is only 7/12th of her total annual income (which, is $11,600*12/7=$19,900).

We also sent them the letter from her client, in which the client confirms the annual income of $20,000.

Can it be a mistake from USCIS's side? If yes, can we show them it and they admit it (do we need a lawyer for this?)

Thank you!

Annual income is deemed January -December. Therefore, she is below income guidelines.

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Thanks. And how is the household size calculated (from Joint Sponsor's viewpoint)? For example, if the joint sponsor's household size is 2 persons and my household size is 2 persons (me and my wife), how many people does he have to sponsor - 3 or 4 (is my wife included)?

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Wife is not included as she is a US citizen.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: H-1B Visa Country: India
Timeline

Most likely it would be her earnings from jan 11 to dec 11 and since her income was less than 19 k. You need to get a co sponsor

I think, if her current income qualifies, then that will be considered rather 2011 income( which is 9 months old)

What you think?

AOS (from H1-B) Timeline:

Day1 -- 09/23/2012 - 130, 485, 765 AOS package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

Day4 -- 09/26/2012 - Emails/texts acceptance confirmation in evening :-)

Day5 -- 09/27/2012 - Checks Cached

Day12-- 10/01/2012 - Received hard copies of NOAs for I-130, I-485 and I-765

Day16-- 10/12/2012 - Received Biometrics Appointment(appointment for 10/24/2012)

Day16 - 10/12/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Refused

Day20 - 10/16/2012 - Biometrics Walk In - Successful :)

Day33 - 10/29/2012 - EAD card Production Ordered-Pleasant surprise :)

Day37 - 11/02/2012 - EAD Card received - WoW !

Day40 - 11/05/2012 - Interview letter for Dec 4 date - The BIG Day !

Day70 - 12/04/2012 - Interview done. Pray to GOD!

Day95 - 12/28/2012 - Letter for 2nd Interview in Feb

What you think?

I am not sure..

Thanks for your opinion.

Another question: if the joint sponsor has federal crime record - can it cause problems with USCIS, for example can they reject the rfe? They sent me RFE, in which they required a joint sponsor/assets.

The crime was not significant and resulted in 1 year probation, no jail. From all other viewpoints he is ok (his income good, he is the US Citizen).

Thanks.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I got an RFE after my marriage based interview in August. The RFE came 7 days after the interview requesting more evidence of my birth certificate since i was born at home so i did not have official birth certificate hence only affidavit. I have replied to the RFE two weeks ago and it was deliverer two weeks ago. How long will it take them to make decision and any one with similar experience? please your suggestion will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi!

Thank you!

I had the same problem: my husband's income wasn't enough to be my sponsor and we got RFE for it. Apparently, 18,912.00 isn't the amount of money your sponsor should make it's just 100%, but we have to show 125% of Poverty Guidelines which is 23,640.00 for 2 people. I just got a joint sponsor and my case went relatively well, at least I got my EAD/AP approved, but still waiting for 130 and 485.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks. And how is the household size calculated (from Joint Sponsor's viewpoint)? For example, if the joint sponsor's household size is 2 persons and my household size is 2 persons (me and my wife), how many people does he have to sponsor - 3 or 4 (is my wife included)?

Thanks again.

Sponsor's household is calculated next way: for example, he is married and has 2 kids, plus he is sponsoring you (your spouse has nothing to do with this sponsor, cuz he isn't applying for AOS), then sponsor's household=1+1+2+you=5 people, meaning sponsor's income should be more than 125% of Poverty Guidelines Requirements.

Edited by MilaS

Sponsor's household is calculated next way: for example, he is married and has 2 kids, plus he is sponsoring you (your spouse has nothing to do with this sponsor, cuz he isn't applying for AOS), then sponsor's household=1+1+2+you=5 people, meaning sponsor's income should be more than 125% of Poverty Guidelines Requirements.

Thank you so much for your attention. Another question: in RFE they also request my wife to submit her Federal Income Tax return submitted to IRS. We already did that in the initial application (Form 140 and Schedule SE). Shall we submit the same documents again? Or shall we send them IRS tax return transcript?

What could be wrong with the tax docs we already sent them?..

Thanks.

They might have lost them... wouldn't be the first time. Best to send the same docs again AND the transcript, if you have it.

Spouse-based AOS from out-of-status H-1B, May - Aug 2012

Removal of conditions, Aug - Nov 2014

It's more likely that the tax return wasn't complete, hence them RFE'ing for it.

Enclosing a tax transcript is a good way to fix that problem.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Everybody!

I am about to send the the evidence they requested. I found the joint sponsor, I received the IRS tax return transcripts for the recent 3 years.

Question: shall I resend the copy of my wife's I-864? (they requested only fer Federal Income Tax Return for the most recent year).

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I sent my RFE to Lee's Summit, MO. Here's the status of the item: "Notice Left (No Authorized Recipient Available)" and also this "www.usps.com/redelivery or calling 800-ASK-USPS, or may pick up the item at the Post Office indicated on the notice. If this item is unclaimed after 15 days then it will be returned to the sender. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later."> " Is it a problem? shall I call the USCIS and tell them about the delivery of the RFE package and the need to pick it up in the post office?

Thank you

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.