LH&me

What are your feelings about the K1 process?

16 posts in this topic

Hi!

I just thought I'll put this out: This is for those who have not got their K1 yet, but still part of the process.

I wanted to know how everyone is feeling regarding the whole K1 process?

What are you feeling right now?

Has anyone thought of giving up because the process is moving slow, is confusing, frustrating, etc?

I"m feeling anxious because it's slow, and I'm hoping for a positive outcome. My American fiance and I have hired a lawyer who is a slow mo : \ But that's okay, i'm applying from India, where nothing moves on time ugh!!!

It'll be great to get some responses.

Edited by LH&me

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The first 3 mos. of the k1 process is the most agonizing part for me it feels like a waiting game and no one knows what will happen next. I felt frustrated but then my fiance was always there for me to calm me down and back me up, He help me to get through this he told me to just focus to my review for nclex and not to over think...I'm just stressing out my self if I always think of how slow things are going with my application and aside from reviewing I enrolled to a local gym... and yeah it helps me a lot...time flies by so fast and where almost done with the k1 process and soon I know I will see him again.

So never give up just hold on to one another, a support from your partner really helps a lot. :)

Filed: Timeline

Hi!

I just thought I'll put this out: This is for those who have not got their K1 yet, but still part of the process.

I wanted to know how everyone is feeling regarding the whole K1 process?

What are you feeling right now?

Has anyone thought of giving up because the process is moving slow, is confusing, frustrating, etc?

I"m feeling anxious because it's slow, and I'm hoping for a positive outcome. My American fiance and I have hired a lawyer who is a slow mo : \ But that's okay, i'm applying from India, where nothing moves on time ugh!!!

It'll be great to get some responses.

Not even a thought on the radar. The option to move to the SOs country is always on the tabel if the relationship is valid to start with.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Having just recently finished the entire K1 phase (my fiancé arrived two months ago), I can share these thoughts.

Don't give up.

The first part of the process is the hardest. You spend all this time preparing your application, getting everything together, and after you finally send it off, you wait. And you wait and you wait and you wait.

But eventually, once NOA2 arrives, things move much faster, and although there are still waiting periods, they are much shorter, etc.

I of course think, as most of us I think would, that the process is bloated, takes too long, and could use some reform. I don't quite understand the need for so many forms of redundant information. In the computer age, you would think one form, scanned and entered into some database, would be enough.

I also don't like how your entire application can come down to a single interview, and seemingly if that person is just having a bad day, you could get denied. I think there needs to be a better system for dealing with 'problem' or 'suspect' cases, because I'm sure some genuine couples have been denied. Luckily we went through without any RFEs or problems at all.

But hang in there. Of course it's all worth it. And if your fiancé has the means, during that long first wait, have him come and visit, it will also give you more pictures to show in your interview!

Oh and if I had to do it over again, I would have gotten married overseas. Getting this far, and realizing I now have to file basically a whole huge packet AGAIN to apply for a greencard, I would never recommend to someone to go the K1 route. Screw that, go the CR1 route so that when your wife or husband arrives, they have already their greencard.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

From my timeline comments about the K-1 visa process:

To all of my fellow VJ travelers trudging the immigration trail, this wonderful, sweet beginning together makes all of the loneliness, the toil and hard work of our visa journey pale by comparison, and worth every second of that protracted effort. Hang in there, and support your future partner. Work together as a team, the results may astound you!

Good luck on your visa journey.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

This process can drive all of us crazy but it’s worth it. We are almost on our 6th month of waiting and we have not heard anything from uscis. We totally understand that the whole petition thing is a “privilege” not a right but come on … how can we be separated for months even for years …

Imagine if there is a child involved in the process – so agonizing … :crying:

All of the application forms are easy to fill and understand but they need to change the system – more investigation shall be done once the couples get married. I do not mind to be investigated once I am there with my babe – there is nothing to hide. They must process the cases at a faster rate and then to investigate more detailed once the immigrant is in the USA. That’s our opinion …

As for how we feel – we feel bad :yes:

21/03/2012 - sent 129F to Dallas Lockbox
25/03/2012 - I129F recieved
26/03/2012 - NOA1
24/09/2012 - NOA2 text message
02/10/2012 - NVC left case sent to Bulgaria ;o)
15/10/2012 - Packet 3 recieved
27/10/2012 - Medical exam
29/10/2012 - Interview - APPROVED
25/11/2012 - POE Miami
01/02/2013 - married

AOS
02/01/2013 - AOS sent
02/12/2013 - NOA1 text and email
02/16/2013 - recieved biometrics appointment letter
02/26/2013 - biometrics appointment

08/29/2013 - received notice of potential interview waiver case

10/23/2013 - Interview approved ;o)

11/01/2013 - green card received

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My fiancee just got her approval on September 7. She will be here in about 2 weeks. It was tought but when we kept busy, it was bearable. The K-1 it the fastest route to get her here legally and even thought it took some time, I am pleased that we choose this option.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

more investigation has to be done and determine the legitimate of relationship the whole process takes long this is due to many couple get in states after marriage the divorce within a year thats why i think most k-1 are taking long to process and more visa denial, i wish you good lucky in your journey

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Latvia
Timeline

PLEASE THINK, (This will only help you),

Be Thankful that there is such a process and in fact that there was the ability to communicate to be able to meet your fiance. I AM. Honestly, in history, meeting someone from "far away" was barely possible and even if you did meet them....to get married...impossible.

It is my nature, "Human Nature", to be impatient but we should all count our blessings in the fact that we met such an incredible person to fall in love with. I told my fiance that if there is ever a reason that we can't get approved and all things fail in our efforts to be together, I will forever be blessed in the fact that I was able to know "you"! I never expected this blessing that has been put before me in this girl that I am hopeful to one day call "My wife" but I do not take for granted that God has worked this world over to be able to accomplish the fact that I could meet her in the first place.

God Bless this "Process" and all the hopes and dreams that are conveyed here:)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

I think waiting for the NOA2 is the hardest part because you spend a lot of your time wondering, "Will they approved it?" or "Will they deny it?" or "OMG I hope they didn't lose my dang petition." or "OMG please no RFE."

I remember telling my fiance many, many times that the stupid NOA2 was never, ever going to come and we were going to be stuck waiting for a bazillion months and blah, blah, blah. Specifically, I remember complaining a whole storm about it and then the day, BING! It showed up in my email. The problem between NOA1 and NOA2 is that it's slow as molasses, you have no news, and you are constantly checking your texts and emails thinking that something will happen that day. I remember checking the USCIS website after ONE month hoping to have NOA2. :bonk:

Sincerely, after NOA2, the time has flown by. We even have our interview three months after NOA2 and at the beginning, I kept thinking that it was forever away, but now it's only 3 weeks away. Your focus shifts and you get news from the embassy, and you feel that every thing has picked up its pace. It's amazing to me that now things seem to be happening fast, when just the other month I felt like I was watching paint drying on the wall.

Never give up if your fiance(e) is your true love. If it's meant to be, it will happen in due time. It's hard and the process is tough, it really can bring out the worst side of a person (as well as the best in circumstances). Just think that months from now, you will look back at the time that you waited and be happy that you did it, because it will seem like just yesterday you dropped that petition envelope in the mailbox.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Tunisia
Timeline

Not even a thought on the radar. The option to move to the SOs country is always on the tabel if the relationship is valid to start with.

Not always an option, especially for those of us with kids whose other parent won't agree to let his kids move half way around the world (& perhaps rightfully so).

However, I agree with you that giving up on the relationship because of the process never.crossed.my.mind.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Barbados
Timeline

Hello, my experience has been fair. My expectation was that this process would take between 6-8 months. For me it has moved faster than expected. Our I-129F was approved in 75 days and we are now waiting for our interview to be scheduled. My package was sent to California service center, I have heard Vermont takes a longer time to move statuses to approve. You have to have patience to endure this journey and it will happen in due time. All you can do is make sure your documents are in order and hope for the best. I found coming to this site and reading other visajourney success stories gives me hope that mines will be soon to come.

Good luck....

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi OP! Don't give up, soon you will finally end the process and be with the love of your life. Time flies very fast. At least something will gonna happen soon and that is worth waiting for. It maybe slow, but it will definitely have an end.

There are pros and cons in K-1 as well as in CR-1.

For me, spousal visa is best of all especially when the beneficiary is sincere as it really protects her legally in the US. As you know, it is not easy moving to another country especially when you have established your life and have a good job in your own country. It is a sacrifice to leave everything behind at all because of love. But, with K-1, the beneficiary may get in trouble establishing legal stay in the US, if the petitioner has issues that haven't discussed or seen before moving. After marriage, the AOS has to be filed with support of the petitioner to get work authorization and GC to start a new life in America.

On the other hand, K-1 is also good, as it gives time to think upon arrival in the US, when the K-1 fiancee is not being treated well, while CR-1 is closed -- when it doesn't work, it goes to divorce.:crying: While K-1 fiancee could still move backward by not pursuing marriage and come back home before 90 days expiration.

I think in everything -- whatever immigration route it is, the heart is what matters most. It is important to know the real intention of petitioners and beneficiaries. It has to be real love and got to have lots of patience and determination. There is no certain in life - so keep moving forward.

Remember things happened for a reason. So be glad in it and have faith.

I wish everyone here in VJ a successful journey. Love your partner like there is no more tomorrow -- give love to the fullest! God bless to all ! (L)

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi OP! Don't give up, soon you will finally end the process and be with the love of your life. Time flies very fast. At least something will gonna happen soon and that is worth waiting for. It maybe slow, but it will definitely have an end.

There are pros and cons in K-1 as well as in CR-1.

For me, spousal visa is best of all especially when the beneficiary is sincere as it really protects her legally in the US. As you know, it is not easy moving to another country especially when you have established your life and have a good job in your own country. It is a sacrifice to leave everything behind at all because of love. But, with K-1, the beneficiary may get in trouble establishing legal stay in the US, if the petitioner has issues that haven't discussed or seen before moving. After marriage, the AOS has to be filed with support of the petitioner to get work authorization and GC to start a new life in America.

On the other hand, K-1 is also good, as it gives time to think upon arrival in the US, when the K-1 fiancee is not being treated well, while CR-1 is closed -- when it doesn't work, it goes to divorce.:crying: While K-1 fiancee could still move backward by not pursuing marriage and come back home before 90 days expiration.

I think in everything -- whatever immigration route it is, the heart is what matters most. It is important to know the real intention of petitioners and beneficiaries. It has to be real love and got to have lots of patience and determination. There is no certain in life - so keep moving forward.

Remember things happened for a reason. So be glad in it and have faith.

I wish everyone here in VJ a successful journey. Love your partner like there is no more tomorrow -- give love to the fullest! God bless to all ! (L)

By the way, OP if you really love your Fiance, you won't matter waiting a little more time, as you know this would be a lifetime chance for both of you to live together. If you pull it off, then you will have to start again, unless you aren't sure of what you are going through. Good luck!

"Last night I looked up at the stars and matched each one with a reason why I love you. I was doing great until I ran out of stars."-- by Kelsi

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.