I AM NOT THAT GUY

Protester dies from burning American flag

58 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

What do you mean by they? Do you presume to blame all Pakistani's for these actions?

It is a well known fact majority of pakistani hate US, India and Israel - They is Pakistanis.

Edited by Harsh_77

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Why do people care so much about flag burning?

If someone wants to burn a rag on a pole, let them get on with it.

When I was younger it used to really bother me.. Still bothers me when I see it here.. Watching people overseas do it? Doesn't even garner my notice anymore.. Very sad that a person died.

I don't believe it.. Prove it to me and I still won't believe it. -Ford Prefect

The U.S. helped set Libya on fire; now a U.S. Ambassador dies of smoke inhalation.

Rewriting history to suit your agenda again?

B and J K-1 story

• April 2004 met online
  • July 16, 2006 Met in person on her birthday in United Arab Emirates
  • August 4, 2006 sent certified mail I-129F packet Neb SC
  • August 9, 2006 NOA1
  • August 21, 2006 received NOA1 in mail
  • October 4, 5, 7, 13 & 17 2006 Touches! 50 day address change... Yes Judith is beautiful, quit staring at her passport photo and approve us!!! Shaming works! LOL
  • October 13, 2006 NOA2! November 2, 2006 NOA2? Huh? NVC already processed and sent us on to Abu Dhabi Consulate!
  • February 12, 2007 Abu Dhabi Interview SUCCESS!!! February 14 Visa in hand!
  • March 6, 2007 she is here!
  • MARCH 14, 2007 WE ARE MARRIED!!!
  • May 5, 2007 Sent AOS/EAD packet
  • May 11, 2007 NOA1 AOS/EAD
  • June 7, 2007 Biometrics appointment
  • June 8, 2007 first post biometrics touch, June 11, next touch...
  • August 1, 2007 AOS Interview! APPROVED!! EAD APPROVED TOO...
  • August 6, 2007 EAD card and Welcome Letter received!
  • August 13, 2007 GREEN CARD received!!! 375 days since mailing the I-129F!

Remove Conditions:

• May 1, 2009 first day to file
  • May 9, 2009 mailed I-751 to USCIS CS

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Here, maybe these instructions will prevent this from happening again!

Most often the American flag is burnt for less than patriotic reasons. Rather than "retiring" the flag with a scout troop, flag burning is usually a form of symbolic protest to attract US media attention. Of course, the media doesn't actually broadcast the message of the protest itself, but at least protesters get the chance to see themselves on TV. To burn a flag with maximum media effect takes planning.

What you'll need:

Method:

1. Lash your flag to the flagpole using the needle and thread. If you are particularly malicious, lash the flag upside down.
  2. Straighten the piece of wire, and connect it to the top of the flagpole at a 90 degree angle.
  3. Lash the top edge of the flag to the wire
  4. Your work should loosely resemble the crappy ASCII art below. (fig 1.) +-+------------+ | |****________| | |****________| | |____________| | +------------+ | | | | | | (figure 1.)
  5. Feel free to bend the wire to give the classic Neil Armstrong "Wind-on-the-Moon" effect.
  6. Organise protestniks and Media Representative to be in the same place, at the same time. This is easier said than done.
  7. Douse flag in lighter fluid, and stand flag pole upright in bucket of sand/manure. Ask Media Rep if they're ready for some award winning footage.
  8. Light flag with matches.
  9. Dance around your towering inferno. Chant prepared witty slogan or for maximum irony, recite the Pledge of Allegiance being careful NOT to inhale smoke or other toxic fumes.
  10. After the media begin to tire or the thread burns through, knock over the flag pole, and extinguish the flames with the bucket of sand/manure.
  11. Go home, and turn on CNN

Education is what you get from reading the small print. Experience is what you get from not reading it.

The Liberal mind is where logic goes to die!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

If someone was burning the flag right in front of me, I would not stand for it. I would take it from them and put the fire out. They would get an earful. And although I haven't been in a fight in 20 years or so, it would get physical if need be. It's not going to happen on my street.

But how do you dispose of a flag when it becomes tattered? That is right, it is BURNED!

I have often wondered if there must be a right-winger present to offer some incantation to make it a proper disposal ceremony! Otherwise, what is substantively different in those acts? :unsure:

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

But how do you dispose of a flag when it becomes tattered? That is right, it is BURNED!

I have often wondered if there must be a right-winger present to offer some incantation to make it a proper disposal ceremony! Otherwise, what is substantively different in those acts? :unsure:

I remember a few. Basically the only words said are the pledge of allegiance plus a few lines about how the flag served the country but can no longer represent the country etc.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know, I've never had to dispose of one. Regardless, it's not the physical act of burning the flag, it's the symbolic one. Very few symbolic things have real meaning for me, but letting someone burn a flag in front of me on American soil is one. If I didn't do something, I would feel inside that I would probably choose to roll over and hide rather than defend this country if the need ever came. Burning a flag on foreign soil doesn't have the same meaning for me, and disposing of a tattered flag doesn't either.

It's a free country. Some people would take exception to any desecration of the flag, and others don't care at all. That's up to the individual. I'm not judging anyone. We all have to live with our own conscience.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Here, maybe these instructions will prevent this from happening again!

Most often the American flag is burnt for less than patriotic reasons. Rather than "retiring" the flag with a scout troop, flag burning is usually a form of symbolic protest to attract US media attention. Of course, the media doesn't actually broadcast the message of the protest itself, but at least protesters get the chance to see themselves on TV. To burn a flag with maximum media effect takes planning.

What you'll need:

Method:

1. Lash your flag to the flagpole using the needle and thread. If you are particularly malicious, lash the flag upside down.
  2. Straighten the piece of wire, and connect it to the top of the flagpole at a 90 degree angle.
  3. Lash the top edge of the flag to the wire
  4. Your work should loosely resemble the crappy ASCII art below. (fig 1.) +-+------------+ | |****________| | |****________| | |____________| | +------------+ | | | | | | (figure 1.)
  5. Feel free to bend the wire to give the classic Neil Armstrong "Wind-on-the-Moon" effect.
  6. Organise protestniks and Media Representative to be in the same place, at the same time. This is easier said than done.
  7. Douse flag in lighter fluid, and stand flag pole upright in bucket of sand/manure. Ask Media Rep if they're ready for some award winning footage.
  8. Light flag with matches.
  9. Dance around your towering inferno. Chant prepared witty slogan or for maximum irony, recite the Pledge of Allegiance being careful NOT to inhale smoke or other toxic fumes.
  10. After the media begin to tire or the thread burns through, knock over the flag pole, and extinguish the flames with the bucket of sand/manure.
  11. Go home, and turn on CNN

And one good decent American is all you need. Go Rick Monday

Timeline

It is a well known fact majority of pakistani hate US, India and Israel - They is Pakistanis.

Consider that perhaps your viewpoint on this subject does not come from the most neutral of positions.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

You're the one who claimed there was no connection. If you can't grasp that the attack on the consulate did not happen in a bubble, completely separated from what has occurred in Libya over the past year and a half, and was indeed influenced by that - then I can't really help you.

Connection and culpability are two separate issues. While there may be a connection between the death of the U.S. Ambassador and U.S. military involvement, neither the U.S. military nor the ambassador was culpable for his murder. This flag burner lit the flag and is therefore culpable for the harm it caused him. I don't relish in anyone's death though.

Edited by Commie Appeaser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Consider that perhaps your viewpoint on this subject does not come from the most neutral of positions.

Does not have to be neutral - like you are neutral in everything.

I am glad they got what they deserved for burning flag of my country. I guess you are ok if someone insulted your country, I am not.

Timeline

Does not have to be neutral - like you are neutral in everything.

I am glad they got what they deserved for burning flag of my country. I guess you are ok if someone insulted your country, I am not.

Exactly my point. You extrapolated one guy burning a flag to blaming the whole country of Pakistan. You continue to say "they" instead of "him".

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Actually his view point that Pakistanis hate India, the U.S. and Israel is well supported by this Pew Research center poll.

The don't Like India and the USA

Timeline

Actually his view point that Pakistanis hate India, the U.S. and Israel is well supported by this Pew Research center poll.

The don't Like India and the USA

I don't want to get into semantics, but the word "hate" is not in that poll. They use "unfavorable" instead of "hate", which I can accept; it's a much milder term to use.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

I don't want to get into semantics, but the word "hate" is not in that poll. They use "unfavorable" instead of "hate", which I can accept; it's a much milder term to use.

Unfavorable is a liberals way of saying hate.