Iyawo_Omo_Yoruba

Plans after POE

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

No worries honey. It's all going to fall into place and be great! I think they all need a little time to adjust. It took me a couple of days in Nigeria just to get over the awe of being in another country and looking around! I just wish American's were as nice as Nigerian's when it comes to greetings. We are so used to seeing many people from other cultures that we don't walk up and say "You are welcome" like many of my brothers and sisters greeted me when I visited Nigeria. So for of our brothers and sisters coming to America let me be the first to extend greetings and say....

YOU ARE WELCOME!

Yes, I hear that one!! And I will second those greetings!....

Welcome, welcome, welcome!!!

TracyJo

Timeline

Thank you! I thought that would be fitting since our interview is on Halloween! I've got to take Divine a Hulk mask. I've been looking for one everywhere and the huge Halloween store just opened today! Oh, goodie, goodie!

I think I'm going to wake very early that day, slip on a witch mask while hubby is still asleep and wake him up for interview! hahaha

Oh goodness!!! You are gonna give him a heart attack! Then he will be roaring with laughter afterwards(hopefully) :)

TracyJo

Filed: IR-2 Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We don't have a set plan but I was looking at classes at the community college to learn american english in speaking and writing. I also saw differnet kinds of job workshops at the college so my husband will be busy doing the classes while he wait for his ss# and green card.

"Marriage isn't for Christmas but forever" My husband Femi (L)(L)(L)

We don't have a set plan but I was looking at classes at the community college to learn american english in speaking and writing. I also saw differnet kinds of job workshops at the college so my husband will be busy doing the classes while he wait for his ss# and green card.

That's a great plan Abike. Education is always a great way to go to prepare for the future! God bless you both!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

What about us K-1s that don't have employment authorization? I mean, I'll be busy planning a wedding, and his family is great. But what am I supposed to do when there is downtime?! I'm going to go nuts! I am used so used to going to school full-time and working full-time. These past few months since I've graduated have been rough even with working full-time. I think I'm going to go stir crazy.

Timeline

That is our plan too my husband wants to continue his education we need to find out how many if any of his classes from his schooling there will be accepted. I ran into a nurse at the hospital my mom was in and she is from Nigeria and said alot of the classes from there are accepted so he is going to see how to get his Masters. He is also going to straighten out our yard lol... That will take him a few weeks right there. I have almost an acre of property and zero time to tend to it I mow the yard every other weekend but weeding and cutting back trees and such not so much. But it makes my husband crazy when I tell him that I am mowing the grass since that it a "man's job" lol. I told him get your butt home and you can have it...

event.png

event.png

My situation is similar except in this instance, me (beneficiary) had 2 weeks with my husband after POE and then he had to leave for work. He works overseas.

This is what worked for me:

• My immediate priority was a driver's license for independence and because we have 2 small children. My first few weeks here kept me busy with that.
  • Initially, I joined a gym. I had never even been in a gym before. Ever! It's just not my thing. But it was an outlet for me and gave me something to do while the kids are in school. I also made my first friend there.
  • Once I felt settled and comfortable, I started looking into school options. I am currently enrolled at a community college taking the general education transfer courses for UC. It has been tough adjusting but it keeps me busy and above all, I am starting to meet new people and make friends.
  • When my husband is home, he likes to show me around the city, take me places and just help me see more of the city than I would on my own. This has been a huge help.

It has only been 9 months and I would never pretend that it has been easy, but as long as you both maintain a positive attitude, remind each other everyday why you took 'the plunge' then you'll come out alright.

Good luck with everything.

Edited by MNyarai

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

When my boyfriend "lived" with me in the USA I immediately set him up with a volunteer job (was only on a tourist visa at the time), a gym membership, I let him use my car and showed him how to get to key spots or look something up on google maps, we visited my family a lot and went on little weekend trips.

When I moved to my boyfriend here in Costa Rica, he let me get a dog. With the dog I had a reason to get up and get out of the apartment every day. I met people at the dog park. I spent lots of time looking for jobs, lots of time doing paperwork for residency, and I also signed up for Italian classes. We took (still take) lots of weekend trips. Visited family, etc.

Also, internet is a pretty important part. Make sure they have a way to skype home!

Plenty to do! :thumbs:

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

I've been thinking about that too. We'll be moving into a new place (moving out from the place I share with my roommates). Because our wait is a little longer on the K1, my thoughts are that he will be able to work on his English while I'm gone. I'm going to get him plugged in with some people that he can practice with so that when time comes for interviewing & such, he'll be ready.

Also we are looking for a place near my school (where I also work & teach, as well as attend grad school). He will be able to hang out there and get online or practice making music (his real love), since it's a music school.

2011 - Met online
2012/05/03 - Started "Dating"
2012/06/27-07/16 -
Met in Haiti/got engaged
2012/08/20 - I-129F Sent
2012/08/28-09/05 -
Second trip to Haiti
2012/08/28 - I-129F NOA1
2012/08/29 - Check Cashed
2012/08/31 - NOA1 Hard Copy Received
2012/09/05 - NOA2 (I-129F)
2012/09/10 - Emailed U.S. Embassy in Haiti for Packet 3.
2012/09/10 - NVC Received
2012/09/10 - NOA2 Hard-Copy
2012/09/11 - Called NVC to check status, told fiance's DOB is wrong, but it's right on both application forms. They said send birth cert & passport.
2012/09/13 - Submitted DS-156 online & printed copies (& emailed to both of us).
2012/09/14 - Emailed scanned copies of original application, birth cert & passport to NVC.
2012/09/14 - Called & insisted they fix THEIR mistake. Message forwarded to supervisor. Got an email within 30 minutes; fixed! Called & confirmed.
2012/09/19 - Still in AP (Administrative/Additional Processing)... waiting...
2012/09/25 - Left NVC
2013/01/08/18 -
Third trip to Haiti
2013/01/17 - K1 Visa Denied (he had been given a fake death certificate for his first wife who was killed in the 2010 earthquake)
2013/03/05-20 -
Fourth trip to Haiti
2013/03/14 - Got Married in Port au Prince

2013/08/11-22 - Fifth trip to Haiti

2014/01/26-02/12 - Sixth trip to Haiti

2014/03/12-15 - Seventh trip to Haiti

Timeline

Good idea! Anything to keep them busy! :)

What about us K-1s that don't have employment authorization? I mean, I'll be busy planning a wedding, and his family is great. But what am I supposed to do when there is downtime?! I'm going to go nuts! I am used so used to going to school full-time and working full-time. These past few months since I've graduated have been rough even with working full-time. I think I'm going to go stir crazy.

Maybe you can look into online courses? Get your resume up to date, get your name out there so when the time comes you will be ready for the work force!

That is our plan too my husband wants to continue his education we need to find out how many if any of his classes from his schooling there will be accepted. I ran into a nurse at the hospital my mom was in and she is from Nigeria and said alot of the classes from there are accepted so he is going to see how to get his Masters. He is also going to straighten out our yard lol... That will take him a few weeks right there. I have almost an acre of property and zero time to tend to it I mow the yard every other weekend but weeding and cutting back trees and such not so much. But it makes my husband crazy when I tell him that I am mowing the grass since that it a "man's job" lol. I told him get your butt home and you can have it...

Yay for help with the yard work! LOL. Yes education is a must, I agree!!!

My situation is similar except in this instance, me (beneficiary) had 2 weeks with my husband after POE and then he had to leave for work. He works overseas.

This is what worked for me:

• My immediate priority was a driver's license for independence and because we have 2 small children. My first few weeks here kept me busy with that.
  • Initially, I joined a gym. I had never even been in a gym before. Ever! It's just not my thing. But it was an outlet for me and gave me something to do while the kids are in school. I also made my first friend there.
  • Once I felt settled and comfortable, I started looking into school options. I am currently enrolled at a community college taking the general education transfer courses for UC. It has been tough adjusting but it keeps me busy and above all, I am starting to meet new people and make friends.
  • When my husband is home, he likes to show me around the city, take me places and just help me see more of the city than I would on my own. This has been a huge help.

It has only been 9 months and I would never pretend that it has been easy, but as long as you both maintain a positive attitude, remind each other everyday why you took 'the plunge' then you'll come out alright.

Good luck with everything.

Excellent tips! Thank you so much!

When my boyfriend "lived" with me in the USA I immediately set him up with a volunteer job (was only on a tourist visa at the time), a gym membership, I let him use my car and showed him how to get to key spots or look something up on google maps, we visited my family a lot and went on little weekend trips.

When I moved to my boyfriend here in Costa Rica, he let me get a dog. With the dog I had a reason to get up and get out of the apartment every day. I met people at the dog park. I spent lots of time looking for jobs, lots of time doing paperwork for residency, and I also signed up for Italian classes. We took (still take) lots of weekend trips. Visited family, etc.

Also, internet is a pretty important part. Make sure they have a way to skype home!

Plenty to do! :thumbs:

Thanks for the input! Every tip helps me get better prepared! :)

I've been thinking about that too. We'll be moving into a new place (moving out from the place I share with my roommates). Because our wait is a little longer on the K1, my thoughts are that he will be able to work on his English while I'm gone. I'm going to get him plugged in with some people that he can practice with so that when time comes for interviewing & such, he'll be ready.

Also we are looking for a place near my school (where I also work & teach, as well as attend grad school). He will be able to hang out there and get online or practice making music (his real love), since it's a music school.

Excellent plans! Seems like a perfect fit with the music school! :)

It's nice reading all of this :thumbs:

9JAVJ, Class of 2012 :lol:

YAY for Class of 2012!!! Woot woot! :)

TracyJo

Filed: Timeline

Well you know that I am still at the NOA1 stage but here are our plans!

1. I too am going to give him a rest...and let him just take a few weeks to adjust while we wait on the ssn and what not he's been working his whole life I am sure he will like the break

2. Where I work I plan to talk to my manager about getting him on with me, they also know the situation with him coming here but of course a position must be available so until then,

3. He will be the "stay at home" parent and wait for the kids to come home, cook, clean, and all that jazz :)...I know he won't mind...he said it's only right...I shouldn't take care of the home and go to work...plus to me...he will be working...coming home to a clean house, washed clothes, and cooked food will be a serious burden lifted from me for a while...I'll still do my part sometimes lol jk

4. I live close to the library, an african shop, a gym and several other things I will get him acquainted with so that he can walk to these places and spend some time there.

5. Finaally, we will have a plan in place to get him into school as soon as he can so he can further his mechanical engineering degree here in America (this really should be number one he is in love with education lol)

Well that's my 2 cents: My husband is a very home body man now...even in Naija...he goes to work, goes to church, goes home and stops by his friend's to watch football from time to time...so I don't think he will be twiddling his fingers too much...he enjoys cooking and cleaning...his grandmother and mom taught him the joys of taking care of a home lol..so I think he will be okay...I pray he will be... though I know he will miss home from time to time.

I think my two kids will keep him very busy once they come home from school and he's there with them for a little while alone...lol

oh yes and i will get the "football" (soccer that is) channel on cable for him...so he can watch his sport!

Timeline

Well you know that I am still at the NOA1 stage but here are our plans!

1. I too am going to give him a rest...and let him just take a few weeks to adjust while we wait on the ssn and what not he's been working his whole life I am sure he will like the break

2. Where I work I plan to talk to my manager about getting him on with me, they also know the situation with him coming here but of course a position must be available so until then,

3. He will be the "stay at home" parent and wait for the kids to come home, cook, clean, and all that jazz :)...I know he won't mind...he said it's only right...I shouldn't take care of the home and go to work...plus to me...he will be working...coming home to a clean house, washed clothes, and cooked food will be a serious burden lifted from me for a while...I'll still do my part sometimes lol jk

4. I live close to the library, an african shop, a gym and several other things I will get him acquainted with so that he can walk to these places and spend some time there.

5. Finaally, we will have a plan in place to get him into school as soon as he can so he can further his mechanical engineering degree here in America (this really should be number one he is in love with education lol)

Well that's my 2 cents: My husband is a very home body man now...even in Naija...he goes to work, goes to church, goes home and stops by his friend's to watch football from time to time...so I don't think he will be twiddling his fingers too much...he enjoys cooking and cleaning...his grandmother and mom taught him the joys of taking care of a home lol..so I think he will be okay...I pray he will be... though I know he will miss home from time to time.

I think my two kids will keep him very busy once they come home from school and he's there with them for a little while alone...lol

oh yes and i will get the "football" (soccer that is) channel on cable for him...so he can watch his sport!

Looks like you got it figured out!!! :) Way to go for having such a plan is place!!!

TracyJo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

his grandmother and mom taught him the joys of taking care of a home lol

Looks like you got a house broken hubby :)

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.