Iyawo_Omo_Yoruba

Plans after POE

44 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Okay, so I am looking ahead to the future. I won't have much vacation time when boo comes, and was wondering how others have handled going back to work/school or whatever your life entails and leaving your spouse to basically fend for themselves. I work from home yet am locked down from 7 am- 5:30 pm. He and I discussed this today, my desire is to spend as much time with him as he adjusts, but I understand he will get antsy and bored sitting here after the initial time frame.

What has worked for some of you? What hasn't worked? I know every situation is different, and we have a plan in place but I would like to expand upon it, based on others input.

This question goes for all of us here, those who have come and those who have brought their spouses over.

TracyJo

And if you haven't reached this stage yet, but have ideas of how you are going to handle it, please add your input as well! Thanks ever so much!

Hi Tracy,

Well, of course you know my husband is not here yet but when he does come this is our plan.

We plan to have him stay home for a week or two while waiting on Green card and Social Security Card. Give him time to rest, simply because he needs a vacation and has never had one. 17 years for him...same job. After that time, our oldest son is taking him to the temporary agency that helped him get his first job. The ladies there are already aware of our circumstance and that he is coming. They are ready to put him to work!

Even if he does not land the first temp job and be placed in full time position, it will be great experience and he will gain even more qualifications from the second job, and so on, until he lands a full-time position. He does want to pursue his love of furniture making on the side. So we shall see how that also goes for for sales in the future at local markets.

Praying for everyone! I'd love to hear about how others spouses adjusted to our culture, food, etc. Was it a shock? Was the transition easy, fast, slow...etc. I'm sure everyone's experience is different. I'm looking forward to the replies. Great thread Tracy!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Well I know for us Houston has a wealth of job seeking classes and networking. I went through a 8 day program. And it sure helps to be matched uo with the who's who of the city. So hubby will be in that within 30 days of arrival. This is the backup plan to the #1 priority OUR Magazine.

Than he has his own business to launch and get stablized. Interviews and such he has to go up to Dallas for radio and TV appearances all setup (been 2 years in the making). We have a publicist for that.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Well I know for us Houston has a wealth of job seeking classes and networking. I went through a 8 day program. And it sure helps to be matched uo with the who's who of the city. So hubby will be in that within 30 days of arrival. This is the backup plan to the #1 priority OUR Magazine.

Than he has his own business to launch and get stablized. Interviews and such he has to go up to Dallas for radio and TV appearances all setup (been 2 years in the making). We have a publicist for that.

Another awesome plan! He is gonna be busy, busy, busy! :). Thanks for sharing!

TracyJo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Another awesome plan! He is gonna be busy, busy, busy! :). Thanks for sharing!

Girl he gets no time to play. Also why I wanted him in this jobs workshop so he could experience job seeking and interviewing American style. I interviewed for a few jobs in Nigeria and oh its sooooo different.

The classes and the place is run by CEO's and many corporate sponsors you graduate have a ceremony, certificate, its pretty cool. I would advise anyone to check your city, town and see what kind of job workshops are available. Many of the communuity colleges and churches have them to.

Also a good place to start and ask is try the homesless shelters since many of the residents there have to complete some of these programs to get housng and extended stays. So check it out people.

And everyone needs to be profiled on Monster.com. careerbuilder.com and your states job services thingy (unemployment list).

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Timeline

Well i dont have a definite plan now though, his sister said she will hook me up with something, and he already told some of his friends as well that can hook me up with a temp job, just to get outta the house, they are just waiting for me to arrive.........

But for the first two weeks am going to use it to get use to the environment, and know how things work

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Timeline

Girl he gets no time to play. Also why I wanted him in this jobs workshop so he could experience job seeking and interviewing American style. I interviewed for a few jobs in Nigeria and oh its sooooo different.

The classes and the place is run by CEO's and many corporate sponsors you graduate have a ceremony, certificate, its pretty cool. I would advise anyone to check your city, town and see what kind of job workshops are available. Many of the communuity colleges and churches have them to.

Also a good place to start and ask is try the homesless shelters since many of the residents there have to complete some of these programs to get housng and extended stays. So check it out people.

And everyone needs to be profiled on Monster.com. careerbuilder.com and your states job services thingy (unemployment list).

Thanks for the great information!! Am sure many will put it to good use!!

TracyJo

Timeline

Well i dont have a definite plan now though, his sister said she will hook me up with something, and he already told some of his friends as well that can hook me up with a temp job, just to get outta the house, they are just waiting for me to arrive.........

But for the first two weeks am going to use it to get use to the environment, and know how things work

Boo and I don't have a plan either, conflicts arise already, lol. I am a definite planner, he is a take one thing after the other...American life will seem really hectic to him, we are the bosses of mutlti-tasking, hahaha.

Yet what you have posted is a plan of sorts. There are things lined up for you and you know you wish to take 2 weeks to explore and learn! Awesome!

TracyJo

That's an awesome plan to have on hand Dana! And yes, let that man have a vacation already!! :)

Love your little Halloween countdown ticker, lol.

Thank you! I thought that would be fitting since our interview is on Halloween! I've got to take Divine a Hulk mask. I've been looking for one everywhere and the huge Halloween store just opened today! Oh, goodie, goodie!

I think I'm going to wake very early that day, slip on a witch mask while hubby is still asleep and wake him up for interview! hahaha

Very cool!!! I need to meet some who's who and what's what's also! Sounds like you guys have the right hook up!

Have you visited google earth, typed in the city you are going to be living in and looked around? You can sometimes use that program to get down to street level and look around. If you have the address, you may even be able to magnify in and stand on your own street facing and looking at your house or address!

Have fun!

Timeline

Have you visited google earth, typed in the city you are going to be living in and looked around? You can sometimes use that program to get down to street level and look around. If you have the address, you may even be able to magnify in and stand on your own street facing and looking at your house or address!

Have fun!

Thanks Dana, will check that out

Philippians 4 vs 6-7

Boo and I don't have a plan either, conflicts arise already, lol. I am a definite planner, he is a take one thing after the other...American life will seem really hectic to him, we are the bosses of mutlti-tasking, hahaha.

Yet what you have posted is a plan of sorts. There are things lined up for you and you know you wish to take 2 weeks to explore and learn! Awesome!

No worries honey. It's all going to fall into place and be great! I think they all need a little time to adjust. It took me a couple of days in Nigeria just to get over the awe of being in another country and looking around! I just wish American's were as nice as Nigerian's when it comes to greetings. We are so used to seeing many people from other cultures that we don't walk up and say "You are welcome" like many of my brothers and sisters greeted me when I visited Nigeria. So for of our brothers and sisters coming to America let me be the first to extend greetings and say....

YOU ARE WELCOME!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.