Gringabean

Proving long term financial support?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi all!

I'm in the middle of collecting all my documents to submit the I-130. I'm getting stuck on providing proof that I have financially supported my fiance. I have all the documents and statements, but are so many needed. I have 7 years of statements. Should I send a sampling from all 7 years? Or simply send the most recent statements?

Unfortunatly, I am not able to add my fiance as a joint account holder to my U.S. accounts, as the banks require he be present with a SS#. Upon my next trip to Honduras, we will be adding me to his accounts. In your experience, by having joint Honduran accounts and showing my financial support from the U.S., will that be sufficient evidence?

Thank you soooooo much!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Hi all!

I'm in the middle of collecting all my documents to submit the I-130. I'm getting stuck on providing proof that I have financially supported my fiance. I have all the documents and statements, but are so many needed. I have 7 years of statements. Should I send a sampling from all 7 years? Or simply send the most recent statements?

Unfortunatly, I am not able to add my fiance as a joint account holder to my U.S. accounts, as the banks require he be present with a SS#. Upon my next trip to Honduras, we will be adding me to his accounts. In your experience, by having joint Honduran accounts and showing my financial support from the U.S., will that be sufficient evidence?

Thank you soooooo much!

Kinda confused. Are you submitting the i130 and engaged?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

You do not need to prove that you have financially supported your spouse/ fiance.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all!

Thank you soooooo much!

My wife had success to add me as a beneficiary of her bank account (Bank of America), and also at her retirement account IRA.

Timeline

Kinda confused. Are you submitting the i130 and engaged?

We are getting married the beginning of November and I am preparing my documents in advance to make sure I have everything I need prepared so we can file as soon as we say "I do!"

Timeline

You do not need to prove that you have financially supported your spouse/ fiance.

I understand that it is not a necessity. We are simply looking to provide a valuable spectrum of evidence to show our comingling of finances.

We are getting married the beginning of November and I am preparing my documents in advance to make sure I have everything I need prepared so we can file as soon as we say "I do!"

It's a good idea to be prepared, but understand the timeline involved with a CR-1/IR-1. If you are filing in the US, you're looking at about 5-8 months at USCIS and another 2-4 months at NVC. These times can vary widely depending on your case and your luck. With that said though, you're looking at an average of anywhere from 6 months to a year before you need anything dealing with your finances. They are needed at NVC and again at the interview.

Timeline

That's very confusing. All of the other info forums here that detail how to prepare and what to include in the I130 specifically say to include as much evidence of bonafide relationship, including financial support and comingling of accounts.

That's very confusing. All of the other info forums here that detail how to prepare and what to include in the I130 specifically say to include as much evidence of bonafide relationship, including financial support and comingling of accounts.

It is really up to you.

In my case,to prove co-mingling of finances:

I included receipts of money remittances (only 1 receipt/year for the past 5 years, then 2-4 receipts for the current year)

Photocopy of joint Bank account opened in my wife's home country after we got married.

Better to be safe and well prepared than sorry and end up w/an RFE and encounter unnecessary delays in your petition. Hope this helps.. :thumbs:

Edited by Memphis

USCIS

8/10/12-Sent I-130 x2

8/17/12-NOA1

2/28/13-NOA2

NVC

5/6/13-Case# & IIN recvd

7/23/13-Case complete!

US Embassy

9/4/13-Interview- APPROVED!

9/7/13-Visas on hand

10/27/13-POE: SFO

11/5/13- SSN's received

12/2/13-GC's on hand

US Citizenship soon...

It's confusing because it's an issue for some and not an issue for others. The only "co-mingling" of anything my wife and I had was her as the beneficiary on my life insurance and her name on my car insurance (even though she never drove in the US). We were approved in faster-than-average time - no RFE.

Think about all of the other evidence you have detailing your relationship - and if you have little to no "evidence of bonafide relationship" then yes, send everything you can. If you have an adequate amount, don't stress it. Keep in mind that showing "co-mingling of finances" is not a requirement for anything. It is VERY typical of couples petitioning for a CR-1/IR-1 to NOT have much documentation like this considering most are newly married and live in different countries. USCIS/NVC/USEM knows this.

Showing that you have provided long-term financial support for your spouse is a non-issue, especially at this stage. Showing your ability to provide long-term financial support is VERY important at the NVC and interview stage.

Good luck :)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Keep in mind that showing "co-mingling of finances" is not a requirement for anything. It is VERY typical of couples petitioning for a CR-1/IR-1 to NOT have much documentation like this considering most are newly married and live in different countries. USCIS/NVC/USEM knows this.

:thumbs:

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Guys, thank you so much for your Imput! Things seem clearer for me now. We have oodles of evidence that our relationship is bonafide already, so I will simply focus on other things and prepare for the future.

Thanks Again!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

For my interview in the Honduran embassy I was only asked for pictures as proof of relationship. There was another man for cr1 visa and took other evidence like emails but not pictures and his visa was delayed because the embassy asks for pictures as primary evidence.

Timeline

Great! We have been together for almost 9 years so I have tons of pictures! Sorting through them and narrowing the select few down will be the tough part. :)

Timeline

Sorry I'm late but I will add too, my husband and I didn't have any legal or financial document 'comingling' anything of ours. Also didn't have any proof of ever living together, we went to the interview as two people living our lives completely in two different countries (not to say that's actually how we were, but that is how we were presented at the interview). Just lots of photos (they made us pick out 20).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.