HawaiianCecil

Wrote the check to "USCIS" - not Dept. of Homeland Security!

42 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yes reading the official instructions always can't hurt.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

They are very fussy about the checks being correct. I once overpaid them by $5 dollars and they returned the entire pacakage to me requireing me to resubmit it with 5 dollars less.... the irony is that i seen their postage label....it cost them $11 to return it to me. so much for eficiency lol!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

It is the discussion. Just because an answer is given (that you think is correct) doesn't mean it can't be discussed further and debated. Most people are bored and waiting for their approvals. Let them have fun. I enjoy reading all the comments to hear different views.

Also, my 2 cents, USCIS is a Dept within the DHS, so the DHS should have authority to cash checks made out to the USCIS. With that being said, some other poster said he did the same and they sent back the whole packet, so I guess not.

Chill out will you.

1. You're not a moderator and no particular rule was stated concerning this that I know of, so please refrain from being patronizing.

2. Sometimes people like to hear it said by many people. One person might seem credible but who knows if they truly are especially on the internet?

3. As someone else said, let people give replies if they want to. Many of us are waiting. Live and let live. Ever hear that expression?

Don't want to be a moderator. They have to deal with too much.

Discussion just to bicker opinions about how much leeway to allow for instructions just confuses newer members. Discussion of facts that are relevant is a different matter. But since you brought it up, let's discuss FACTS...

Page 4 of the I-129F directions clearly states that the check should be made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

It goes further to clarify the instructions with this statement

NOTE: Please spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security, do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS".

Now, I am not an expert according to you, but I would venture a guess that they emphasized this for a very important reason. Most of USCIS instructions don't take the time to reiterate with a warning, in this case they did so. Maybe they should have also added "Do not use USCIS"?

Remember, these instructions are coming from an entity that will give you a RFE for leaving a line blank, not signing a form properly, etc....

If you want to be flippant regarding instructions for immigration forms and processes, by all means do so.

If you want to just blow off steam with emotional opinions, then try off topic. If fun is wanted, try games while you wait.

My post was not disrespectful to the OP and gave credence to what Jim had posted. If you want to test his credibility, by all means go for it. I am not the only person on VJ that has the utmost respect for the knowledge Jim shares here on VJ.

Now if you think you have a better answer and can justify your answer with instructions from USCIS, then by all means cite it and I will digress. A simple answer of "Oh it slipped by this one time" will not suffice. The point of most discussions on VJ is the search and validation for doing things the correct way according to the instructions. That is what I try to perpetuate.

Edited by Que Saudade

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

I dont know if you are aware of how your posts read, but it always comes of as disrespectful and rude. Telling someone they should read the instructions after they have already stated they notice a mistake is not being helpful. Yes obiviously they should have read the instruction but what has been done has been done, OP going back now and reading the instructions isnt going to magically change what was written on the check.

Don't want to be a moderator. They have to deal with too much.

Discussion just to bicker opinions about how much leeway to allow for instructions just confuses newer members. Discussion of facts that are relevant is a different matter. But since you brought it up, let's discuss FACTS...

Page 4 of the I-129F directions clearly states that the check should be made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

It goes further to clarify the instructions with this statement

NOTE: Please spell out U.S. Department of Homeland Security, do not use the initials "USDHS" or "DHS".

Now, I am not an expert according to you, but I would venture a guess that they emphasized this for a very important reason. Most of USCIS instructions don't take the time to reiterate with a warning, in this case they did so. Maybe they should have also added "Do not use USCIS"?

Remember, these instructions are coming from an entity that will give you a RFE for leaving a line blank, not signing a form properly, etc....

If you want to be flippant regarding instructions for immigration forms and processes, by all means do so.

If you want to just blow off steam with emotional opinions, then try off topic. If fun is wanted, try games while you wait.

My post was not disrespectful to the OP and gave credence to what Jim had posted. If you want to test his credibility, by all means go for it. I am not the only person on VJ that has the utmost respect for the knowledge Jim shares here on VJ.

Now if you think you have a better answer and can justify your answer with instructions from USCIS, then by all means cite it and I will digress. A simple answer of "Oh it slipped by this one time" will not suffice. The point of most discussions on VJ is the search and validation for doing things the correct way according to the instructions. That is what I try to perpetuate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I dont know if you are aware of how your posts read, but it always comes of as disrespectful and rude. Telling someone they should read the instructions after they have already stated they notice a mistake is not being helpful. Yes obiviously they should have read the instruction but what has been done has been done, OP going back now and reading the instructions isnt going to magically change what was written on the check.

:rofl:

You tell him girl. Even if he didn't tell the OP to read the directions.

I am tired of people being straight forward and to the point, what's the fun in that?

:ot2:

OP good luck and hopefully yours will slip right through the cracks and none of this will matter.

Filed: Timeline

Well said Queen...I often times wonder why people on VJ are so negative and rude at times...the poster made a mistake and she asked for opinionS (with an S...not just one) she didn't ask for the 3rd degree or just Jim's opinion (as wise as he may be others are knowledgable as well) no disrepsect intended...well all I know is that several people have been here... done exactly what she has done (me included) and I had NO PROBLEMS with my money order being cashed by the department of homeland for a money order made out to USCIS...immediately after my mistake I read all the rules too on the form saying it needed to be made out to Dept. of homeland...and I made a post about it as well b/c of the same fear but guess what no problems!...(sorry I'm just human I guess didn't read all the fine print)...From the looks of it some people that made it out for the wrong amount got it returned but for those that made it out with the exact amount and to USCIS it went through...so as long as the amount is right even if it's made out wrong it doesn't seem to be a problem... again my friend called and asked USCIS this very question after my mistake and they informed her people do it all the time... But seriously this journey is already hard enough without people being negative geeze :blink: give people a break! OP...praying your payment is accepted just like mine was!

Edited by olumides_girl

It was cashed yesterday! What a relief! Will for sure make the rest of them out to Dept. of Homeland Security though :thumbs:

• 3 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

This is an old thread but I will add my experience just encase someone else finds themselves in the same predicament.

My Story: Yes with all of the information available on the internet, I purchased a money order from my bank and made the check payable to USCIS. I was expecting my packet to be retuned to me, however to my surpirise the check was cash. This is another case of YMMV. Your check may be retuned or it may not. Don't give up hope.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** Locking zombie thread ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.