mfa

Affidavits

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Please tell me more about affidavits, and the use/necessity for CR-1 visa (married people).

Are their alleged necessity simply based on experience at individual embassy's...or am I missing something in packets 3 and 4 where it actually TELLS ME to get affidavits?

I've heard some people not use them and I've heard other say get "lots."

Somehow I just don't see every CR-1 citizen and beneficiary parading a group of people into notaries in order to obtain lots of affidavits when they have wedding certificates, invitations, photos, health insurance docs, bank docs, etc easily at hand.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband and I included 3 affidavits because we are recently married and while we have pictures of us together and evidence of our visits, we don't have any intermingling of our finances, or both names on a lease, that sort of thing. So it is an alternative form of evidence, rather than a completely necessary one.

Oh, and while they have to be signed, they don't have to be notarized.

event.png

USCIS:
07/30/2012 - I-130 Sent
07/31/2012 - NOA1 Received (Petition sent to the dreaded VSC, rec'd by mail 08/17/2012)
03/22/2013 - RFE Received (email, rec'd RFE by mail 3/25)
03/26/2013 - Reply to RFE sent
04/03/2013 - NOA2 Received

NVC:
04/08/2013 - Case arrived at NVC
04/19/2013 - Received case #, IIN, gave e-mail addresses
04/19/2013- OPTIN Email Sent for EP
04/23/2013- DS-261 Sent
04/24/2013 - AOS bill invoiced & PAID
04/25/2013- OPTIN Email Accepted
05/01/2013 - AOS bill appears as PAID
04/30/2013 - AOS Package sent
05/03/2013 - AOS/I-864 accepted
05/07/2013 - IV bill invoiced & PAID
05/09/2013 - IV bill appears as PAID
05/09/2013 - IV Package sent
05/22/2013 - Case Complete
07/09/2013 - Interview date

Filed: Timeline

My husband and I included 3 affidavits because we are recently married and while we have pictures of us together and evidence of our visits, we don't have any intermingling of our finances, or both names on a lease, that sort of thing. So it is an alternative form of evidence, rather than a completely necessary one.

Oh, and while they have to be signed, they don't have to be notarized.

Wow, thanks!

Really??? Affidavits don't need to be notarized???

So I could simply speak to our friends/family, prepare the templates for affidavits, print them out, have the people sign them, and bring with me to interview?

That would be great!

Did your interviewer actually request affidavits and examine them when you pulled them out?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Couples going through higher fraud countries will tend to have more affidavits to add to their evidence. Some couples do the "overkill" (sometimes it is warranted) and then post they are approved, people from other countries naively read that post and adopt it as the sovereign approach to affidavits in all situations.

Many couples follow the CR1 guides exactly here on VJ combined with any requirements sent from the consulate and are approved.

Of course, if they are lacking some of the evidence, the affidavits come into play more.

Good luck with your journey

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Wow, thanks!

So I could simply speak to our friends/family, prepare the templates for affidavits, print them out, have the people sign them, and bring with me to interview?

That would be great!

Did your interviewer actually request affidavits and examine them when you pulled them out?

Be careful with the template. You don't want the officer thinking you went out and got people to sign a letter you wrote for them

From the link I gave you, read in the section of "evidence of Bonafide Marriage" Instruction #5

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Wow, thanks!

That would be great!

Affidavits aren't worth much. Who submits a bad one?

Having friends sign templates would likely make the interviewing officer more suspicious of the petitioner and beneficiary.

Affidavits are mentioned as possible pieces of evidence. If your amount of evidence is small, go ahead and include 2 or 3 affidavits.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please tell me more about affidavits, and the use/necessity for CR-1 visa (married people).

Are their alleged necessity simply based on experience at individual embassy's...or am I missing something in packets 3 and 4 where it actually TELLS ME to get affidavits?

I've heard some people not use them and I've heard other say get "lots."

Somehow I just don't see every CR-1 citizen and beneficiary parading a group of people into notaries in order to obtain lots of affidavits when they have wedding certificates, invitations, photos, health insurance docs, bank docs, etc easily at hand.

Rarely are affidavit meaningful. Move on to the other forms of evidence. Read those I-130 instructions again and when you see the words, "In addition to the required..." consider the list that follows as simply "NOT required".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

We too are recently married and don't have a joint account or lease together etc...

Affidavits are merely supporting evidence, they are not sole proof, and the USCIS sees them as secondary.

So we filed 4 Affidavits:

One from me (spousal Affidavit)

One from my husband (spousal Affidavit)

One from my mother (third party Affidavit)

One from my husband's brother (third party Affidavit)

You might as well get them notarized too. It only costs a few dollars (at least in North America) and it shows that a notary checked the ID's of the people signing the letters.

I also included a copy of my retirement account showing my husband as the beneficiary.

We sent some photos, I think 5-6 from the wedding, two from his trip to Canada and about three other photos from my trips to the USA.

I think sending at least a few things to support your relationship is good, just don't send reams and reams of paper, it might bog the officer down and be overkill.

After you have filed the application, work on getting some more meaningful paperwork established. Open a joint account, get added to your spouses health insurance, etc... That is what we have done. Then, if they ask for more evidence, you will have it ready.

Edited by NinaD

Timeline
USCIS
04/03/2012: I-130 Sent from Ohio
04/05/2012: Rejection Letter b/c we left a line blank! (DUH)
04/09/2012: Re-mailed I-130 from Ohio
04/17/2012: NOA1
~SEVEN MONTH WAIT~
11/28/2012: NOA2

NVC
12/14/2012: NVC received
12/17/2012: Case number/IIN
12/17/2012: AOS Bill PAID
12/29/2012: AOS Package sent
12/20/2012: IV Bill PAID
01/03/2013: IV Package sent
02/05/2013: Case complete at NVC
02/07/2013: Interview scheduled

MONTREAL CONSULATE
02/06/2013: Embassy received
03/01/2013: Medical
03/11/2013: Interview/APPROVED
03/14/2013: Visa packet picked up at Loomis/DHL office in Dorval, PQ
03/15/2013: Paid $165.00 Green Card Fee
03/27/2013: POE: Montreal P.E. Trudeau Airport
04/03/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is in Suspense"
04/09/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is accepted and paperwork is in process"
04/10/2013: Notice of Action that a "New card has been ordered"
04/16/2013: Green Card arrived in the mail. Yes, it IS green! smile.png

06/28/2013: Took Driver's License Written Test

07/06/2013: Passed Driver's License Road and Maneuverability test. Received Driver's License

07/06/2013: Hired at Kohl's Department Store

Timeline

We too are recently married and don't have a joint account or lease together etc...

Affidavits are merely supporting evidence, they are not sole proof, and the USCIS sees them as secondary.

So we filed 4 Affidavits:

One from me (spousal Affidavit)

One from my husband (spousal Affidavit)

One from my mother (third party Affidavit)

One from my husband's brother (third party Affidavit)

You might as well get them notarized too. It only costs a few dollars (at least in North America) and it shows that a notary checked the ID's of the people signing the letters.

I also included a copy of my retirement account showing my husband as the beneficiary.

We sent some photos, I think 5-6 from the wedding, two from his trip to Canada and about three other photos from my trips to the USA.

I think sending at least a few things to support your relationship is good, just don't send reams and reams of paper, it might bog the officer down and be overkill.

After you have filed the application, work on getting some more meaningful paperwork established. Open a joint account, get added to your spouses health insurance, etc... That is what we have done. Then, if they ask for more evidence, you will have it ready.

Your own list sounds like overkill to me, particularly from Canada. Country and circumstances have a great impact on what is prudent to send with the petition but affidavits are usually the least value evidence you could provide.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Your own list sounds like overkill to me, particularly from Canada. Country and circumstances have a great impact on what is prudent to send with the petition but affidavits are usually the least value evidence you could provide.

Sigh...Your comment is directed at my case in particular (and I suspect, from past dealings with you, just to bully me), and it has no bearing on the OP question.

7 pieces of paper is not overkill. I have heard of people sending in 7lbs of paperwork (copies of phone records, texts, photos, affidavits, etc..) THAT is overkill.

I have been told (and even see in this thread) that other Canadians have sent 3-4 Affidavits when they had no other "documentation".

My answer to the OP was:

"Affidavits are merely supporting evidence, they are not sole proof, and the USCIS sees them as secondary".

Also (now that I have re-read the OP first question) is seems to me, that the I-130 has been approved and they are working on Packet 3 & 4. No reason why you couldn't take a few Affidavits to the interview as back up evidence.

Edited by NinaD

Timeline
USCIS
04/03/2012: I-130 Sent from Ohio
04/05/2012: Rejection Letter b/c we left a line blank! (DUH)
04/09/2012: Re-mailed I-130 from Ohio
04/17/2012: NOA1
~SEVEN MONTH WAIT~
11/28/2012: NOA2

NVC
12/14/2012: NVC received
12/17/2012: Case number/IIN
12/17/2012: AOS Bill PAID
12/29/2012: AOS Package sent
12/20/2012: IV Bill PAID
01/03/2013: IV Package sent
02/05/2013: Case complete at NVC
02/07/2013: Interview scheduled

MONTREAL CONSULATE
02/06/2013: Embassy received
03/01/2013: Medical
03/11/2013: Interview/APPROVED
03/14/2013: Visa packet picked up at Loomis/DHL office in Dorval, PQ
03/15/2013: Paid $165.00 Green Card Fee
03/27/2013: POE: Montreal P.E. Trudeau Airport
04/03/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is in Suspense"
04/09/2013: Notice of Action that "Fee is accepted and paperwork is in process"
04/10/2013: Notice of Action that a "New card has been ordered"
04/16/2013: Green Card arrived in the mail. Yes, it IS green! smile.png

06/28/2013: Took Driver's License Written Test

07/06/2013: Passed Driver's License Road and Maneuverability test. Received Driver's License

07/06/2013: Hired at Kohl's Department Store

Timeline

Sigh...Your comment is directed at my case in particular (and I suspect, from past dealings with you, just to bully me), and it has no bearing on the OP question.

7 pieces of paper is not overkill. I have heard of people sending in 7lbs of paperwork (copies of phone records, texts, photos, affidavits, etc..) THAT is overkill.

I have been told (and even see in this thread) that other Canadians have sent 3-4 Affidavits when they had no other "documentation".

My answer to the OP was:

"Affidavits are merely supporting evidence, they are not sole proof, and the USCIS sees them as secondary".

Also (now that I have re-read the OP first question) is seems to me, that the I-130 has been approved and they are working on Packet 3 & 4. No reason why you couldn't take a few Affidavits to the interview as back up evidence.

You make yourself more famous than my memory allows. My comments are for the reader, including the OP. They are my opinion. Take it or leave it.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

For Canada there isn't really a great need for affidavits. Take my situation high fraud and age red flag. I got affidavits from his mum, auntie, uncle and best friend. I lived withmy husband for 6 1/2 months. We stayed with mum and auntie so their statements of watching our relationship grow and my daily wifely duties, and how his mum grew to love a women her age and all that. It was more a story than a "I swear this is a bonafide relationship".

She was very indepth of her feelings and how they grew to love. But this is Nigeria we are dealing with. You are Canada. you are pretty okay with the standard basics you see posted from your country people.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Couples going through higher fraud countries will tend to have more affidavits to add to their evidence. Some couples do the "overkill" (sometimes it is warranted) and then post they are approved, people from other countries naively read that post and adopt it as the sovereign approach to affidavits in all situations.

Many couples follow the CR1 guides exactly here on VJ combined with any requirements sent from the consulate and are approved.

Of course, if they are lacking some of the evidence, the affidavits come into play more.

Good luck with your journey

Which are the "higher fraud countries"?

ROC Timeline:

August 22, 2014: Sent I-751

August 25, 2014: NOA1 received

September 5, 2014: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

September 19, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

Timeline

Which are the "higher fraud countries"?

Third world countries and most second world countries. Think any country from which people might be highly motivated to commit fraud to get to the USA.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Third world countries and most second world countries. Think any country from which people might be highly motivated to commit fraud to get to the USA.

Is Peru one of those?

ROC Timeline:

August 22, 2014: Sent I-751

August 25, 2014: NOA1 received

September 5, 2014: Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

September 19, 2014: Biometrics Appointment

cpa2y0ku2k8x.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.