rocks

One in Four Mississippi Residents Struggle

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
One in Four Mississippi Residents Struggle to Afford Food

North Dakota has lowest percentage of residents unable to afford food

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- One in four Mississippi residents report there was at least one time in the past 12 months when they did not have enough money to buy the food they or their families needed -- more than in any other state in the first half of 2012. Residents in Alabama and Delaware are also among the most likely to struggle to afford food. Residents of North Dakota, South Dakota, and Vermont are among the least likely to have this problem.

8hgwyyj-we-qt_xtawptow.gifkv9tuwuqau2df2eycejxog.gif

These findings are from surveys conducted with 177,662 U.S. adults from January through June 2012 as part of the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index. Gallup asks 1,000 Americans each day if there have been times in the past 12 months when they did not have enough money to buy food that they or their families needed.

In 15 states, at least one in five Americans say they struggled to afford the food they needed at least once during the past 12 months. Nationwide, 18.2% of Americans so far in 2012 say there have been times when they could not afford the food they needed, on par with the 18.6% who had trouble affording food in 2011.

Residents of states in the Southeast and Southwest regions are the most likely in the country to struggle to afford food. Those living in the Mountain Plains and Midwest regions are the least likely to experience food hardship.

For complete results for each state, see page 2.

Interactive map

ougnv.jpg

Implications

There are wide disparities across states and regions so far in 2012 in the percentage of residents who at times lacked the money to purchase the food they or their families needed. While nearly one in four Mississippi residents say they could not afford to buy the food they needed in the past 12 months, only one in 10 North Dakota residents say the same.

In 2012, the worst drought since the 1950s has affected nearly 80% of agricultural land in the United States, which may drive up the cost of food in the months ahead. While Americans are no more likely to struggle to afford food thus far in 2012 than in the past, more residents may face problems as the drought-related crop damage results in a shortage of inputs in the food supply and begins to affect retail prices.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture predicts that consumers will notice price increases within two months for beef, pork, poultry, and dairy, but the full effects of the increase in corn prices for packaged and processed foods will likely take 10 to 12 months to appear on supermarket shelves. States in the Mountain Plains and Midwest regions, which have the largest corn yield in the nation, will likely continue to have the lowest percentages of residents who lack enough money to buy food. Those in the South will likely be hardest hit, as they are already the most likely in the nation to report struggling to afford food.

It's not looking good for the south, and Delaware.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

:thumbs:

Do you have any idea why Delaware is doing so badly?

Wilmington is a mess, which most likely drags the whole state down overall. I feel safer the times I go into Killadelphia than I do when I have been to Wilmington.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/de/wilmington/crime/

http://www.city-data.com/poverty/poverty-Wilmington-Delaware.html#b

Amazingly enough it's the same percentage of people on food stamps in Mississippi. A family of four gets 150 per week in food substance thru the Snap program in Mississippi. If you can't feed a family of four on 150 per week , you are not poor enough to or smart enough to make smart decisions. 150 will buy a lot of flour, rice and beans.. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's your job to go out and earn enough money to buy frozen entrees and Soda Pop.

How many of those 25% you wanna bet had cell phones and expensive shoes ?

Most of the poor in this country are not poor enough to go hungry, that just have their priorities wrong. If you have a Flat Screen, Car and Cell Phone you are not poor.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

What happened to the free fried chicken that Tyson is giving away to Mississippi residents :devil:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/377528-if-mississippi-is-the-fattest-state-in-america-why-is-tyson-giving-away-free-fried-chicken/

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

kansas #8! :dance:

That's less than three times worse than Vermont! Congratulations.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The south hasn't recovered fully from the civil war :devil:

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

The south hasn't recovered fully from the civil war :devil:

"War of Yankee Agression", thank you. If you cannot be honest, at least be truthful and say "The War Between the States"

Gary And Alla

Timeline

They should send the people to Vermont since they can afford to eat. Gary should take several people in and feed them.

I did! Pasha and Sergey eat constantly! :lol: I laugh at the universities losing money trying to feed him for what room and board costs. :lol:

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Amazingly enough it's the same percentage of people on food stamps in Mississippi. A family of four gets 150 per week in food substance thru the Snap program in Mississippi. If you can't feed a family of four on 150 per week , you are not poor enough to or smart enough to make smart decisions. 150 will buy a lot of flour, rice and beans.. Maybe that sounds harsh, but it's your job to go out and earn enough money to buy frozen entrees and Soda Pop.

How many of those 25% you wanna bet had cell phones and expensive shoes ?

Most of the poor in this country are not poor enough to go hungry, that just have their priorities wrong. If you have a Flat Screen, Car and Cell Phone you are not poor.

Who said that these people were on SNAP?

I'm not surprised - the fat аsses who live there need a LOT of food.

:lol:

Fattest and poorest state in the nation. It's all the hamburgers.

Timeline

:lol:

Fattest and poorest state in the nation. It's all the hamburgers.

You don't even need that much money to eat healthy.

Eat only whole foods (fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, eggs, nuts) and stay away from processed foods (cereals, doughnuts, pizza, hamburgers, sausages).

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg