VisaJourneyDude

I don't how you guys do it

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So my fiancee from Russia wants the elaborate wedding. We only have 3 months to plan for it once she is here. Right now she will be in the interview process next month. This is why we can't make any real plans until she gets that K1 visa. It doesn't make sense to plan a wedding and make deposits until the visa is in her hands.

She wants her family and best friend to attend the wedding. I said fat chance with that. I'm not flying all those people and boarding them on my dime. Not to mention, how in the world are they going to get a visa that quick? So the K1 visa has a few flaws. One of which is... you have three months to get married. I think they should be realistic that this should be longer. You have a better idea how a person is like if you lived with them for at least a year. You can't plan a real wedding with just 3 months. I wish they made it 1 year grace period to marry.

Would like to hear all your experience with this situation

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Plan to have a quality videographer and sent wedding DVDs to family and friends to Russia. It's impractical for them to come. I discussed this with my fiancee BEFORE I applied for the K-1 visa.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: New Zealand
Timeline

So my fiancee from Russia wants the elaborate wedding. We only have 3 months to plan for it once she is here. Right now she will be in the interview process next month. This is why we can't make any real plans until she gets that K1 visa. It doesn't make sense to plan a wedding and make deposits until the visa is in her hands.

She wants her family and best friend to attend the wedding. I said fat chance with that. I'm not flying all those people and boarding them on my dime. Not to mention, how in the world are they going to get a visa that quick? So the K1 visa has a few flaws. One of which is... you have three months to get married. I think they should be realistic that this should be longer. You have a better idea how a person is like if you lived with them for at least a year. You can't plan a real wedding with just 3 months. I wish they made it 1 year grace period to marry.

Would like to hear all your experience with this situation

The K1 is really meant to be the opportunity to get married in the US, not to get to know each other - but you're right in that its not easy to adjust to a totally different environment. Easier for English speaking westerners, but still not easy. I don't think there is a perfect answer - I knew my fiance when he was growing up in NZ, we had many years apart but reonnected in 2009. I've made 3 long visits to the US, during which time we decided we didn't want to be apart. Then the visa fiasco began :clock::wacko:

As far as the wedding goes, simple is going to be easier and cheaper. You have to do what works for you. Best of luck with your plans. (F)

Mar 2011 - After 5mths denied for lost docs - Attempts to follow up failed. Mar 18 2012 - I-129F sent - No sign of NOA1 but they have banked the check...Jul 24 - Update - USCIS has located our file
Infopass Apt - they sorted through everything - our 2011 and 2012 file keep getting mixed up - getting us a Case# (still waiting) Dec- Infopass Appt- expecting to get a case # in about a week ..Still no Case number

Mar 2013 Infopass - advised file was in a box somewhere,and it would be quicker for us to refile. Life gets in the way... New petition submitted July 2014 .
I-129F Sent : Jul 28 2014
TSC received: Aug 04 2014
I-129F NOA1 : Aug 06 2014
I-129F NOA2 : Feb 25 2015 (NOA2 copy rcd: Mar 02)

Sent to NVC: Mar 09 / Left NVC Apr 1 / Arr Embassy Apr 7 / Pkt 3 Rcd Apr 15 / Medical Apr 17 / Pkt 3 sent May 1 / Interview May 12

Left NZ May 15

Married Aug 10

Plan to have a quality videographer and sent wedding DVDs to family and friends to Russia. It's impractical for them to come. I discussed this with my fiancee BEFORE I applied for the K-1 visa.

:thumbs: And if some find it practical, it is still impractical to expect the petitioner (groom or bride) to shoulder the expenses for everyone to hop on over to the states. Our idea is to have a civil wedding in the states, and go back to the Philippines at some later date to have a renewing of vows/church ceremony.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I would recommend a civil ceremony in the US or a small ceremony for your family and then do the big wedding in Russia for your fiancee / wife.

And I agree with the others who said that.the 90 period is for couples who know each other to marry not to get to know each other.

We became a couple : 2011-05-29
I visited him : 2011-10-28 - 2011-11-17
He visited me (and my crazy family) : 2012-02-05 - 2012-02-17
I-129F Sent : 2012-02-05
I-129F NOA1 : 2012-02-14
I entered on VWP to stay 3 months: 2012-04-11 - 2012-07-03
---
Went to get my medical done for interview in Australia (much cheaper in the US and I was already here):2012-05-20
Medical issue diagnosed
K-1 petition cancellation request sent to CSC : 2012-06-01
Married: 2012-06-21
Filed for AOS : 2012-08-08
NOA1 : 2012-08-10
Biometrics : 2012-09-14
EAD approved : 2012-10-16
Applied for SSN : 2012-11-01
Received SSN : 2012-11-13
Received interview notice :2012-12-27
Interview- APPROVED :2013-01-28
Green card received :2013-02-04
Baby girl born :2013-03-09

Filed for ROC :2014-12-05
NOA :2014-12-11
Biometrics : 2015-01-15

ROC Approval : 2015-05-14

I had my dream wedding. Planned it once I got my NoA2. Family and best friend got visas early on and all paid for their tickets. Its definitely possible with a lot of planning (in advance, and flexible dates) and some money to burn. Our wedding was not lavish, we were frugal about it but we managed to have all our friends and family with us. We had a church and military weddding. :) I was not worried about the k1 not being approved so I planned it all ahead. Not advisable, but it worked for us!

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our plan is to do a civil wedding shortly after POE, where just my parents and his dad will attend... and then have our "big" wedding with all our friends and family in May (but we have a clause in our contract that allows us to push it forward to any available date in 2013, should we not be able to make the May date). It's probably easier for me because I'm from Canada and we don't need travel visas, but my family and friends are all paying for their own flights to come down to Florida for our wedding. If this wasn't an option, we discussed going back to Canada and doing a big wedding after the adjustment of status.

Ex27m5.png MbP5m4.png

VJsig.jpg

I tend to agree with the others - small ceremony here, then a big ceremony/celebration in Russia for her. You can even throw a big reception here, for your friends and family. (Still less expensive than big lavish wedding.)

Married: 01/02/09

I-130 filed: 11/06/09

NOA1: 11/13/09

NOA2: 02/11/10

NVC received: 02/18/10

Case complete @ NVC: 04/14/10

Interview @ Montreal: 07/13/10 - Approved

POE: Sweetgrass, MT, 08/07/10

Filed for ROC: 07/20/12

Biometrics appt: 08/24/12

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I kind of agree. I understand with the other posters that the 90 day time is not to get to know the person and that is true. But most people who work can't take months off at a time to actually see what it's like living with the person. Whether the USC is staying at a hotel, or even able to stay at the fiance's family house. It't not the same. And I believe that anyone who is controlling or abusive, nither will see if only visiting for a week or two at a time. It still is a deficiency along with trying to plan a wedding.

More directly to the OP, I think because my K1 is taking so long that I may be forced into doing a civil marriage (and probably something more extravagent after seeing as its both our first marriage). I sure as hell can't do a marriage outside during the winter here which is what we want to do.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I would recommend a civil ceremony in the US or a small ceremony for your family and then do the big wedding in Russia for your fiancee / wife

Many people choose this option. It is the easiest way if you want to plan a big wedding. You can file for AOS and get that part out of the way and then start with the family wedding plans.

This is what we did a small ceremony here in the courthouse, and now we are going back to Ukraine for a big family wedding in October. Not that it is not possible to pay for everyones ticket, chances to get a Visitor Visa might be slim as well.

event.png

event.png

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3, 5-6)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I would recommend a civil ceremony in the US or a small ceremony for your family and then do the big wedding in Russia for your fiancee / wife.

And I agree with the others who said that.the 90 period is for couples who know each other to marry not to get to know each other.

We are doing the same thing, small wedding in the US, then back to Philippines for a family wedding/party. Cost in america for 200 people roughly $10,000, Cost of 2 plane tickets to Philippines, 2 pigs, whiskey and beer, $3500 and a lot more fun, plus I get a vacation out of it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.