viv85e

NVC wants original docs- Is this normal?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

At the NVC stage, you definitely send original certified copies of documents. For this kind of document the "original" is usually held at a government office, so only a Certified Copy is available. China is an exception where the original Notarial Translations of documents are what is sent.

Exactly what do you mean by certified copy? In this case a certified copy is the original document you would obtain from the government agency that holds the original. You send an "original" certified copy, not a photocopy of the certified copy.

We sent officially translated and notarized copies (not copies from the issuing institution as it is *not* possible to do so in Romania). Unfortunately Romania has a different system when it comes to important documents that doesn't really fit well with the American system. In America you can get certified copies all day long, in Romania no such thing exists! To me it looks like we will have to send originals but first I will speak with the NVC and make sure we will get them back.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

OP, I guess mobob had some good information regarding getting the "re-issue"... which I guess is what we call in the US a certified copy from authorities.

That way, you will keep one and you can send one. If at all possible, get more than one? (including birth certificate?)

Good luck.

"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

K1 Guides and Info

K1 AOS Guide

Link for Rio de Janeiro Consulate's instructions for K1 Visas. They give you this link instead of a packet 3. Everything you need for interview in Rio is here. Boa Sorte

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

We sent officially translated and notarized copies (not copies from the issuing institution as it is *not* possible to do so in Romania). Unfortunately Romania has a different system when it comes to important documents that doesn't really fit well with the American system. In America you can get certified copies all day long, in Romania no such thing exists! To me it looks like we will have to send originals but first I will speak with the NVC and make sure we will get them back.

You definitely need a Romania specific answer to what NVC will accept. These things do vary.

For example, from China, I have an ORIGINAL "marriage book" and so does my wife. These never need to be seen during the process by any US Government agency. Instead, we submit what is called a "Notarial Translation" of that book. The Notarial Translation or Notarial Document contains a photocopy of the marriage book NOW, but did not back in 2005, when we obtained ours. The Notarial Documents are official government issued original bound booklets that contain both Chinese documentation and English translation including a certification the translation is correct.

I don't know how they do this in Romania but what you must send to NVC is the closest thing to an original document, you possibly can obtain. Sure, somebody calling themselves something like a "Notary Public" or Romanian equivalent could make a copy of your original document and certify it's a true copy but unless that is exactly what NVC expects from Romania, it's not going to work.

If you want "originals" back after the interview, make sure you take photocopies to trade for them.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

viv+cata

alas, these 'certified copies' apparently weren't with the 'right' certification. Why do I say that? Because a checklist letter response was issued about it.

If, OTOH, you feel that the certification was from the issuing authority, then it's worth a phone call INTO NVC, and talk with a supervisor (very important) then

ask the supervisor to request another eyeball review, as apparently the NVC Reviewer has gotten it wrong.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

viv+cata

alas, these 'certified copies' apparently weren't with the 'right' certification. Why do I say that? Because a checklist letter response was issued about it.

If, OTOH, you feel that the certification was from the issuing authority, then it's worth a phone call INTO NVC, and talk with a supervisor (very important) then

ask the supervisor to request another eyeball review, as apparently the NVC Reviewer has gotten it wrong.

Actually we didn't get a checklist letter yet. I happened to call the NVC just to see where our case was and the woman casually told us we were on hold. Big surprise for us! I notified our lawyer about it but she too found it odd that they are asking for originals. Thanks for reminding us that NVC does make mistakes and we can ask them to double check things. I am so glad we have visa journey to talk things out with others :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

mobob, please show where on the I-130 it states to send in original marriage certificate.

On the I-130 instructions under the "What documents do you need to prove family relationship" section; instruction #1-A clearly states that to send in a copy of your marriage certificate.

@ que saudade The I-130 does not require the original, only a copy, with translation if necessary, to establish relationship. That is for the petition to apply for a visa. However, the OP stated their visa application, DS-230, is on hold at NVC. Here an original or the 'reissue' I mentioned is required. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3195.html.

@viv+cata You're quite welcome. I should add, even though the Department of State instructions say you don't have to include translations of the documents if they're in English or the applicant's native language, my wife found information that recommended it, so she had each document (birth cert, police cert, etc) officially translated for the application. Doesn't hurt to make it as easy as possible for the people and organizations processing our stuff. Since we've done notifications electronically, they - NVC - doesn't send anything in the mail, hence no checklist. Everything I got for the DS230 application that wasn't in the instructions was from the DOS website.

Edited by mobob

I don't know if it helps at all, but I recently received a RFE for a similar thing. We had submitted a certified copy of my birth certificate – which came direct from the registry office here – but NVC won't budge and want an original. Not sure how I can give them an original birth certificate when I don't have it, and they won't accept a certified, newly issued one from the births, deaths and marriages registrar in this country, either.

Maybe something at NVC has changed recently, or is about to?

Sorry, it's also worth noting an NVC operator instructed us to email with SUPERVISORY REVIEW as the subject, with our case number. To that, we received a response stating a new, certified copy was required (#######?!) – but it may be worth the OP trying this too. Whatever NVC will have you believe otherwise, they do NOT respond to emails in the order they are received by NVC. If you put a supervisory request as the subject, they'll read it that day – this is what the NVC operator told me. It must be right, though, because when they had spelled my name wrong on the IV invoice, I emailed with "incorrect name spelling" as the subject, and it was fixed in a day.

i also sent the original Birth certificate and marriage certificate to the NVC..i'm praying that they won't lose it :wacko:

Edited by Jason and Shifa

qHpljff.jpgqHplp7.png

USCIS

* March 2nd 2012 --> I-130 sent

* March 5th 2012 --> I-130 Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

* March 7th 2012 --> Got NOA1 by SMS (Vermont Service Center)

* March 14th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of I-797C in the airmail

* June 29th 2012 --> NOA2 (114days)

* July 5th 2012 --> Got Hardcopy of NOA2

NVC

* July 2nd 2012 --> NVC Received

* July 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Number and IIN received by e-mail

* July 24th 2012 --> E-mailed the DS 3032

* July 24th 2012 --> AOS Bill Paid

* July 26th 2012 --> AOS Bill Shows PAID

* July 28th 2012 --> AOS Package Sent

* August 2nd 2012 --> DS-3032 accepted

* August 3rd 2012 --> IV bill invoiced & PAID

* August 7th 2012 --> IV Bill Shows PAID

* August 17th 2012 --> IV Package Sent

* August 24th 2012 --> NVC Case Complete

* September 15th 2012 --> Interview Date Assigned

US EMBASSY JAKARTA

* October 16th 2012 --> INTERVIEW (Approved)

* October 19th 2012 --> Visa in Hand

Timeline

Sorry, it's also worth noting an NVC operator instructed us to email with SUPERVISORY REVIEW as the subject, with our case number. To that, we received a response stating a new, certified copy was required (#######?!) – but it may be worth the OP trying this too. Whatever NVC will have you believe otherwise, they do NOT respond to emails in the order they are received by NVC. If you put a supervisory request as the subject, they'll read it that day – this is what the NVC operator told me. It must be right, though, because when they had spelled my name wrong on the IV invoice, I emailed with "incorrect name spelling" as the subject, and it was fixed in a day.

Thanks for the tip about emailing NVC, def. good to know. I'm also wondering what is up w/their case reviewers, it seems some people get a picky one that wants originals while others don't. Goodluck with your journey!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.