dwarf

Is 43k base salary enough for entry level IT Desktop Support in Hawaii?

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi,

Just finished AOS process. Now comes the real thing. WORK! and Survival in America!

I wanted to ask from your experiences or if you can refer me to other sources, will the salary above be enough already for me and my wife? My wife also has work but in admin position. Do you think that salary is good enough for us? I kind of feel bad when my wife told me that this salary is still low :( I know she earns more than me, I just felt bad after her comments after I have gone through a pain thru the job interview process, I accepted the job and I was just thinking I'd take it just to keep me going.

Is that salary able to get me or my wife through? we are renting an apartment for 1250USD monthly, no kids.

your comments, feedbacks are very well appreciated.

----------------------------------------

I-485 Process (AOS):

2012-04-15 Applied

2012-04-19 NOA received

2012-06-09 I-485 Biometrics Appointment

2012-07-28 EAD/AP Approved

2012-08-10 AOS Approved

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

this is a hard one to answer, because "to each it's own". You have to rememmber your in Hawaii, the cost of living is high. I know my daughter lived thier for a year in college. So your wife may be taking that into consideration.. For me if my fiancee (nigerian) can find a based IT job starting at 43,000 in Michigan when he gets here this fall..... I will be leaping for joy.. because that's very good for a starting salary "at a desk Job" in the IT field. Have you two discussed this in detail before coming over or while you were waiting on green card?? This is certainly on of those things that needs to be discussed. Find out her expectations, and both of you look to see how reallistic they are in your field , in your location,with your credintials and experience. It might help her to relax and be a bit more grateful.. If not you can at least bank some money and continue to look for better positions.

Peace,

Chi

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to Finding a Job forum ****

$43'000 is very good for an entry level salary.

However, Hawaii is expensive, so as was mentioned above, that money would go much further in the mid west than it would in New York or Hawaii. You could always check some websites to see the average salary for that sort of job in your area. Better than nothing at any rate!

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi,

Just finished AOS process. Now comes the real thing. WORK! and Survival in America!

I wanted to ask from your experiences or if you can refer me to other sources, will the salary above be enough already for me and my wife? My wife also has work but in admin position. Do you think that salary is good enough for us? I kind of feel bad when my wife told me that this salary is still low :( I know she earns more than me, I just felt bad after her comments after I have gone through a pain thru the job interview process, I accepted the job and I was just thinking I'd take it just to keep me going.

Is that salary able to get me or my wife through? we are renting an apartment for 1250USD monthly, no kids.

your comments, feedbacks are very well appreciated.

Morning Peejo!

I think 43k is good, considering you just came here and was able to find something! well done. Not sure if its my position but have you told your wife politely that you are hurt by her comment? I make sure my hubby knows if he hurts me intentionally/ unintentionally this prevents things getting worst in future. I wish you the best. pxx

I-485 Process (AOS):

2012-04-15 Applied

2012-04-19 NOA received

2012-08-10 AOS Approved

Edited by J&P!

Timeline

*** Moving from AOS to Finding a Job forum ****

$43'000 is very good for an entry level salary.

However, Hawaii is expensive, so as was mentioned above, that money would go much further in the mid west than it would in New York or Hawaii. You could always check some websites to see the average salary for that sort of job in your area. Better than nothing at any rate!

yeah that was also what I am thinking. Can I know which website typical to check to get these data? Yeah its definitely worth for paying bills :P

I-485 Process (AOS):

2012-04-15 Applied

2012-04-19 NOA received

2012-08-10 AOS Approved

Timeline

i told her directly and sarcastically. I just felt belittled. Because normally guys should be earning more than wives right? And for us, its not the case. Especially in Philippines, where normally husbands earn more. I cant blame her for having MBA and having a 'boss' position in their company. Hers earning at least 52k, she has worked through that job here.

Timeline

this is a hard one to answer, because "to each it's own". You have to rememmber your in Hawaii, the cost of living is high. I know my daughter lived thier for a year in college. So your wife may be taking that into consideration.. For me if my fiancee (nigerian) can find a based IT job starting at 43,000 in Michigan when he gets here this fall..... I will be leaping for joy.. because that's very good for a starting salary "at a desk Job" in the IT field. Have you two discussed this in detail before coming over or while you were waiting on green card?? This is certainly on of those things that needs to be discussed. Find out her expectations, and both of you look to see how reallistic they are in your field , in your location,with your credintials and experience. It might help her to relax and be a bit more grateful.. If not you can at least bank some money and continue to look for better positions.

Peace,

Chi

She earns more than I do. I know she is here in the states for very long time and studied here and worked after MBA, she must have really high standards, so I am doubting myself because of her comments of my salary being too low. Of course, my salary is low because I am not MBA, I just finished a 4 year course in PH, and you know education in Phil is nothing as compared to here in US, where 4 year college course here is already a very big thing, while in PH, you can enroll to any schools and pay way way less for a 4 year college degree like IT, COMSCI,compared to schooling here.

Plus, I dont feel very comfortable with my english yet so during the interview it was really like gasping or nosebleeding for words. While of course for the natural borns US citizens, its their first tongue so naturally interview for her will be as easy as it is like talking to anyone else. Well, i commend her for being able to get us thru the AOS interview where she did more of the talking while I just listen and keep quiet.

I will definitely look for other jobs higher than this, I just feel to RUSTY because of the AOS process. been like 6 months of NO WORK(waiting in agony) and in the Philippines culture experiencing such thing is very BIG already esp if you are a GUY and not able to contribute any to the household. Also I need to improve my English so next time in the interview I can negotiate more with regards to the salary...

But do you think the 43k is below poverty line in Hawaii?? I am just curious where I am exactly position in the 'society' of US culture? is it the low earning or the middle?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

yeah that was also what I am thinking. Can I know which website typical to check to get these data?

I like this one: http://www.indeed.com/salary and this one: http://www.simplyhired.com/a/salary/home Of course how useful it is depends on your job title... some, such as "Office Manager" would have widely varying salaries because some Office Managers are basically clerks/ receptionits, whereas others are managers with their own staff etc.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

She is being a tad unfair, for a few reasons.

$43 is lowish, but for an entry level IT job, I've seen worse. I am gathering by your comments that you have little experience and recently graduated? In which case it will take some time to build a better salary.

She's not doing that hot either for an MBA and management position, if you frame her position in her own frame of reference.

Oh, and BLS statistics in 2009 showed that 40% of women outearned their husbabnds. Nothing to be ashamed of, though some men have hangups about that. My wife earned more than me, and often we've overtaken each other. All goes the same way at the end of the day.

USCIS & NVC

05-04-09 - Married

09-05-09 - I130 Approved (CSC)

12-09-09 - Case Completed (NVC)

01-08-10 - Approved (LND)

01-20-10 - PoE PHL

I-751

01-10-12 - Filed I-751, VT Service Center

01-17-12 - NOA1

02-08-12 - Biometrics at Alexandria, Va

10-04-12 - RFE

11-16-12 - Sent additional evidence (5.5lbs of evidence!)

12-04-12 - Approved

12-10-12 - Card arrived

Timeline

She is being a tad unfair, for a few reasons.

$43 is lowish, but for an entry level IT job, I've seen worse. I am gathering by your comments that you have little experience and recently graduated? In which case it will take some time to build a better salary.

She's not doing that hot either for an MBA and management position, if you frame her position in her own frame of reference.

Oh, and BLS statistics in 2009 showed that 40% of women outearned their husbabnds. Nothing to be ashamed of, though some men have hangups about that. My wife earned more than me, and often we've overtaken each other. All goes the same way at the end of the day.

yes recent grad with 3 yr experience though but not here in the US. Of course, gaining experience iN US is way way better than other country esp third world country where pay is way way too low. I was earning like 500 usd monthly back then but now its like 3500usd monthly, which I am not sure if it puts me in low level income earners in US or in the middle level earners??

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

i told her directly and sarcastically. I just felt belittled. Because normally guys should be earning more than wives right? And for us, its not the case. Especially in Philippines, where normally husbands earn more. I cant blame her for having MBA and having a 'boss' position in their company. Hers earning at least 52k, she has worked through that job here.

I am a Filipina and my husband is USC, I earned 45% more than of his salary and income is never been an issue to us. I am happy that he is earning and happy doing his job.

I think it's just machismo to think insecurity when comes to who's bringing more in the household.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

yes recent grad with 3 yr experience though but not here in the US. Of course, gaining experience iN US is way way better than other country esp third world country where pay is way way too low. I was earning like 500 usd monthly back then but now its like 3500usd monthly, which I am not sure if it puts me in low level income earners in US or in the middle level earners??

I would consider that middle class.You know, getting your foot in the door and comfortable in an American job might just be what you need in order to gain the confidence to get a better job in the future (should you choose so). You can't always start out on top, after all. As long as you are able to provide for yourself and your family, the dollar amount shouldn't matter.

Total elapsed time between filing I-129F to GC in hand 569 days or 1 Year, 6 months, 22 days.

It's your first job in a new country. I think you both should be happy. Once you get some more experience, you can get raises and promotions.

That's a decent salary for a recent grad and entry level position. It's around $20 an hour, so you can use that to compare with low income jobs (yours is not low income). Also, you won't be taking home 3500 a month because you'll be paying taxes.

So, I'll say, congratulations!

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.