Dr. A ♥ O

Part of the American Dream Act Begins Today

92 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals plan is a lighter version of the controversial Dream Act. Here is a link to one of the video stories on the topic that is happening around the nation today. Link

From the incoming video I'm seing thousands of people are lining up everywhere in the United States and estimates are into the millions.

The application to apply for a work permit without fear of deportation is $465. To be eligable they have to be younger than 31 and have arrived in the US by the age of 16. They have to prove that they have lived in the US for five years. They have to not be a threat to national security and show they've done well in school.

SAN DIEGO (CNS) - Starting Wednesday, young illegal immigrants in San Diego County are eligible for legal status under a new federal program that allows immigrants who arrived in the United States as children to stay in the country legally for two years.

Nearly 2 million young illegal immigrants are expected to be eligible to benefit from the Obama Administration's Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The lines are very long as many are taking advantage of this act. Guess who will be getting votes in November?

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The ones like us that come to the US legally are the ones that will pay. The first approvals on EAD could come with in a month yet we wait 3 months or more. Why should we have to wait when we arrived here legally and have paid the big bucks and the illegal ones get a free ride on the tax payers of the Untied States.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I understand that Republicans are upset about this and some are protesting today as well. They don't like that Obama made an executive decision about this. Some of them are calling it Obama Amnesty but that doesn't really make sense to me.

To be considered, applicants must meet these criteria:

1.Were under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012

2.Came to the United States before reaching their 16th birthday

3.Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time

4.Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making their request for consideration of deferred action

5.Entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or their lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012

6.Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States

7.Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

I think under the terms and conditions in this case it is a compassionate act. Many of these young people don't know any other country as their home country. They didn't choose to come here but are here as a result of an adult who made those choices for them.

It's not a path to citizenship but it can be renewed after two years.

paDvm8.png0sD7m8.png

mRhYm8.png8tham8.png

I think under the terms and conditions in this case it is a compassionate act. Many of these young people don't know any other country as their home country. They didn't choose to come here but are here as a result of an adult who made those choices for them.

It's not a path to citizenship but it can be renewed after two years.

I completely agree with you, but you aren't going to get some of the people here thinking along these lines. They believe the children should be punished for the acts of their parents and couldn't really care less what would happen to them if they're shipped off to their "home" country. Sad, but true.

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline

The ones like us that come to the US legally are the ones that will pay. The first approvals on EAD could come with in a month yet we wait 3 months or more. Why should we have to wait when we arrived here legally and have paid the big bucks and the illegal ones get a free ride on the tax payers of the Untied States.

If you read the copy, you will notice they will have to pay filing fees as well. Considering their EAD should come within a month, they will be working and paying taxes before you do, so technically, they are the ones paying for you, while you wait on your EAD.

In any case, they are not illegal, no more than a K-1 person is when out of status. They were brought to this country as kids and America is the only home many of them have ever known, our flag the one to which they pledge allegiance. They have nowhere to go back and except for papers, they are as American as the rest of us.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Whether they made the choice to come here or not is irrelevant, they are here illegaly, plain and simple. While I can sympathize with them, I do not agree with allowing them to stay here and giving them a free pass. The buck has to stop somewhere.

A free pass to what, though? It's not like they're being granted citizenship. They'll simply be allowed to APPLY to be able to work.

Timeline

Whether they made the choice to come here or not is irrelevant, they are here illegaly, plain and simple. While I can sympathize with them, I do not agree with allowing them to stay here and giving them a free pass. The buck has to stop somewhere.

Alas it is relevant. They were brought here as kids. Many do not know any other country and for obvious reasons, many have never been anywhere else other than the US.

They are not getting a free pass. This is not Reagan's amnesty when everyone got a free pass.

Edited by Gegel

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

If you read the copy, you will notice they will have to pay filing fees as well. Considering their EAD should come within a month, they will be working and paying taxes before you do, so technically, they are the ones paying for you, while you wait on your EAD.

In any case, they are not illegal, no more than a K-1 person is when out of status. They were brought to this country as kids and America is the only home many of them have ever known, our flag the one to which they pledge allegiance. They have nowhere to go back and except for papers, they are as American as the rest of us.

With this tough economy and very few jobs available, I wonder how many of the folks that are waiting to do things legally will lose jobs to the beneficiaries of this Dream Act.

What visa did these "not really that illegal" immigrants come here on? They did not enter the country legally like one does with a K-1 visa.

A free pass to what, though? It's not like they're being granted citizenship. They'll simply be allowed to APPLY to be able to work.

A free pass to stay here. Too many people tend to gloss over the fact that they are not here legally to begin with.

These are the types of things that make it so much tougher on the people who come here legally like yourself. Not only does it spur resentment amongst US citizens and immigrants, but it gives reason for people to think they don't have to do things the right way. That in turn leads to more illegals, which leads to stricter immigration laws that hurt the people that aren't breaking the law to begin with.

Timeline

With this tough economy and very few jobs available, I wonder how many of the folks that are waiting to do things legally will lose jobs to the beneficiaries of this Dream Act.

What visa did these "not really that illegal" immigrants come here on? They did not enter the country legally like one does with a K-1 visa.

It really is immaterial who gets the job. What matters is the bottomline and the shareholders returns. Having said that, jobs tend to go to those who are better suited, so if any of these kids can do a better job than someone else so be it. In that case, these kids will be paying for those who are waiting for their EAD.

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

A free pass to stay here. Too many people tend to gloss over the fact that they are not here legally to begin with.

These are the types of things that make it so much tougher on the people who come here legally like yourself. Not only does it spur resentment amongst US citizens and immigrants, but it gives reason for people to think they don't have to do things the right way. That in turn leads to more illegals, which leads to stricter immigration laws that hurt the people that aren't breaking the law to begin with.

I'm not glossing over the fact that they're not here legally. That wasn't their choice. For most of them, this is the only home they've ever known. What should they do, kick them out at 18 and send them to a country they don't know and aren't familiar with? Can you even imagine? Growing up only to one day be told "you don't belong here" and be shipped off to a country you've likely never even been to and have to go make a life for yourself? I can't.

It doesn't spur resentment in me at all. I came here legally by choice. These people had their choice made by parents who made the wrong choice. I don't agree with punishing the children for the acts of the parents.

I mean, I can get where it rubs people the wrong way. I honestly can. I just don't agree with the alternative.