Hatem&Zeinab

Big Big Problem.... Please need help and advice!!

124 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I would tend to agree with the others in that when you sponsored her you agreed to reimburse any costs incurred for mean tested benefits.

I would have thought that you would be better paying Medicare rates than normal rates, just going from comments made to me in the Business about the level of their rates.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Until they send you something in writing, don't worry about it.

If and when they do, appeal their decision. That is your right.

Pls don’t give ppl wrong advice and wrong hope… what is OP’s right?

OP should have known very well her wife is not covered by any state or Federal aid until she becomes Citizen.

OP signed affidavit of support when he bought his wife to US… saying he takes the financial responsibility of her and his wife would not become a public charge.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Listen sir, before you rush into judgements you need to know that we clearly stated that she is not a US citizen. The medicaid worker called us and asked us to fax whatever documents we have and she will find out what she can do and if there is anything available for people in our situtation. Few days later we found out that she approved us. We don't know the law. All what we do is apply, be honest, and that's what we did. The decision was made by her not us.... so it was her mistake not ours. The only way I found out was when I went online to add my new born baby to the household. That is when I found out a check mark has been placed next to my wife being a citizen.

Luckily, the medicaid account still shows the original application that we submitted, and it clearly say NOOOOOOOOOO to the question asking about my wife being a citizen..

DID YOU GET IT???? PLEASE BE HELPFUL OR JUST STAY SILENT

Hatem - not knowing the rules is not an excuse.... what the person said is fact, you came here for the opinion and answer and thats what he said.

You were not eligible for the service, you should have known that... thats your responsibility.

You received the service and now you are responsible to pay it back.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

People, it is irrelevant what "he should of", "would of" "ethical" "unethical". What matters what can he do know? It is pointless to go the the attorney. Medicaid will never let you get away without paying even if it was their fault. And the reason for it is that they would never want to set precedent that they let someone (anyone) slide. If you are ineligible they will make you pay back. Period. Bankruptcy will not help because this is now federal debt. The best thing you can is work-out most favorable payment schedule and start paying back. And it does not matter who is right or who is wrong. Life is unfair and you have to deal with that. Federal government can truly turn your life into the nightmare if you don't: they will follow you, harass you, follow you paychecks, you name it. They will collect their money, o just do what people advising you.

Timeline

BTW, Medicare rates are much better then negotiated rates or other insurance rates. Medicaid rates are even better then Medicare. So consider yourself lucky. I know it, I am in the healthcare industry...

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm curious if the OP was/is entitled to gov. assistance for the pregnancy expenses. I don't mean the wife, I mean the OP himself. The I-864 made him pledge his wife wouldn't become a public charge, but AKAIK it doesn't say HE can't receive aid.

I have no doubt he will have to repay the benefits received by his wife though, and should make payment arrangements ASAP. He will be getting a tax break for the new baby, which over time will offset the preggie costs. I know a USC that was forced to repay under similar circumstances and the gov. simply took his income tax refunds each year until the debt cleared. In his case he was not charged interest under his repayment agreement, BUT that was probably an except, not the rule.

If you can't arrange equitable terms for repayment, try contacting your local Congressman or Representative. The OP owes the money, ignorance of the law is no excuse, but a sympathic congressman might be able to help.

I don't think this person was judging you at all. This person was simply stating what others have said: Apparently you should've not applied for Medicaid in the first place. Your wife is not eligible and you signed an affidavit of support with a garantee she won't become public charge (within the alloted time). The most important issue this poster pointed out is the misrepresentation. Again, this is not a judgment. It is the truth.

I "third that emotion!" Applying for medicaid it was the first mistake because you DO have to agree that you are not going to apply for any government assistance as a condition for their entry into the U.S. (Affidavit of Support).

Timeline

I "third that emotion!" Applying for medicaid it was the first mistake because you DO have to agree that you are not going to apply for any government assistance as a condition for their entry into the U.S. (Affidavit of Support).

There is some merit to this point. Even if LPRs were eligible for Medicaid it would not be the case for the foreign spouses as we all signed I864 form and theoretically government has the full right to seek reimbursement from the USC for any assistance given to the LPR during 10 year period...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I would be surprised if the bill is higher than $10K for total pregnancy if it was paid under the medicaid umbrella

Thanks for your feedback. I hope you are right. 10k on payments wouldn't be a bad option...

Are you sure medicaid reimbursement to providers are much lower than the actual bill?? because every visit we went to was at least $400... over 9 months, then labor and delivery...

It is just too good for me to be true but I hope it is..

I-129F sent July 26 201

NOA1 date July 29-2010

RFE February

Timeline

Thanks for your feedback. I hope you are right. 10k on payments wouldn't be a bad option...

Are you sure medicaid reimbursement to providers are much lower than the actual bill?? because every visit we went to was at least $400... over 9 months, then labor and delivery...

Again, if you had a co-sponsor- make sure s/he isn't liable for this and ends up with a bill as well. If you didn't have a co-sponsor, then ignore my advice.

Good luck

Don't ever do anything you're not willing to explain the paramedics.

Timeline

Yes, I think so. It becomes negotiated fee. Cash fee that you see is much higher then for example what private insurance pays. Medicare is lower then negotiated private insurance and medicaid is lower then medicare. I am pretty positive entire pregnancy will not exceed $10K.

Again, if you had a co-sponsor- make sure s/he isn't liable for this and ends up with a bill as well. If you didn't have a co-sponsor, then ignore my advice.

Good luck

Has nothing to do with sponsor or co-sponsor. Medicaid is asking to pay back for what they paid when they are not supposed to. Has nothing to do with sponsor. in fact, this is not even husband that is liable. This is LPR that is liable.. Theoretically in this case they would go after LPR..

Medicaid does not pay per physician visit. Actually, this is entire pregnancy care what they are paying for. Different animal..

Timeline

Hmmm my first thought was, how can you get medicare for your pregnant wife?

surely you would have to earn x amount in order to bring her into the country on a visa, thus rendering you ineligable for medicare.

Secondly, your wife is not eligable to be a burdon on the state that is why they have a stipulation of earning x amount ayear to support the non citizen.

Third, did you not have a medical plan through private means or work related?

which with her added could have helped.

Do you have the confirmation paperwork that says as a GC holder your eligable to be covered?

if so then see a lawyer to fight your case, good luck.

I think medicaid limits of eligibility are much higher than required by the affidavit of support. I recall it says if you made less than 185% of poverty line, you are eligible

I-129F sent July 26 201

NOA1 date July 29-2010

RFE February

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well. You can appeal the bill for delivery and labor because she may have been eligible under your state Medicaid plan. I notice you are in Florida and this is what their Medicaid website has to say about pregnant non-US citizens.

"Emergency Medical Assistance (EMA) For Non-Citizens

Noncitizens, who are Medicaid eligible except for their citizenship status, may be eligible for Medicaid to cover a serious medical emergency. This includes the emergency labor and delivery of a child. Before Medicaid may be authorized, applicants must provide proof from a medical professional stating the treatment was due to an emergency condition. The proof also must include the dates of the emergency."

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/access-florida-food-medical-assistance-cash/medicaid This is the website where information was pulled and when you go to the Florida government website they reroute you to myflfamilies.com

I would try to appeal the delivery/labor and set up a payment plan for her OB care, and if your child is not already covered by Medicaid apply for that as well. Hope that helps, and good luck!

I-751 file: 11/07/11

NOA1 date: 11/10/11

Biometrics: 11/30/11

Approval: 08/17/12

Hold what you got and maintain.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hatem, I'm so sorry this happened. I'm guessing that when Zeinab was in the hospital a medicaid worker came to her hospital room to offer this service as they do with most women who are uninsured. The money will have to be paid back even though the person should have known better than to approve you, their fault on that. Make sure you get in touch with the right people and make payment arrangements to repay the medical expenses owed. You don't want any problems later. Copy all papers as proof incase a problem does arrise. Like someone said in an earlier post, when you file taxes next year and carry your wife & daughter as dependents you will receive a couple thousand dollars that can help with paying that back also. As for your US Citizen born daughter she can receive Medicaid if your income is low enough for a household of 3. Make sure you check into that she will definitely need it. Good Luck to you my friend

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.