lrbirdsong

overwhelmed, confused, lost... need some advice!

16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

hello. my name is Laurie. i am an American citizen, my boyfriend/fiance is Belgian. we have a 3 and a half year old son. i am almost 42, he is almost 29. (yes, i am aware that so called large age differences are "red flags" for couples seeking marriage... )

here is our predicament.. we want to be together. we are in love. we want to be a family.. but we don't know what would be the best way to make this happen.

he is currently in the US on a visa waiver. we are talking about all of our various options, and we feel daunted by them.

we've been together since 2007. in that time we conceived a child that was still born. shortly after that, we conceived our son. during the pregnancy he had to leave the country. he returned for the birth, and was only able to spend a few months with our baby, before he had to return to Belgium. he was unable to return to the US for almost 3 years... but we kept in daily contact, skyped and phone calls.

we have looked at work visa options, but he does not have any special skills. we have talked about school, but neither of us have that kind of money.

we've talked about marriage (which we WANT to do anyway.. we'd have done it by now, in fact, if we could figure out how... ) - i am currently receiving state aid while i work through severe depression issues, and also a chronic pain issue. i have a very, very limited income. i certainly don't have the kind of money that is required for me to sponsor him in marriage.. but we thought perhaps that would be a reason why he should be here, to care for our son while i receive treatment...

we also thought that perhaps it would be easier for he and i to be married in Belgium... but we are unable to find information on how we would be able to return to the US.. i have older children from a previous relationship, and am a home owner with a mortgage.

we can't afford a lawyer/attorney. we are in love. we just want to be together, as a family, but seem to find more and more red tape the more we look into options.

if anyone can offer any kind of advice, or information that would at least point us in the right direction i would be SO grateful..

i am sorry to paint such a vague picture of our situation, but i would be happy to clarify as necessary.

thank you in advance..

sincerely, Laurie

You can get married next week in the US. It is very simple. I am not sure what the confusion over that is.

If you want to sponsor him to live in the US based on your marriage, then since you have limited income, you would need a co-sponsor. The forms also cost money ($1000+). You can check out the required yearly income required for your family size at uscis.gov. If you make under that, you can get a co-sponsor for that aspect. Read that website and follow the links for "I want to help my relative immigrate." This website has good guides too.

Once you've read over that, I'd come back with further questions.

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

hello. my name is Laurie. i am an American citizen, my boyfriend/fiance is Belgian. we have a 3 and a half year old son. i am almost 42, he is almost 29. (yes, i am aware that so called large age differences are "red flags" for couples seeking marriage... )

here is our predicament.. we want to be together. we are in love. we want to be a family.. but we don't know what would be the best way to make this happen.

he is currently in the US on a visa waiver. we are talking about all of our various options, and we feel daunted by them.

we've been together since 2007. in that time we conceived a child that was still born. shortly after that, we conceived our son. during the pregnancy he had to leave the country. he returned for the birth, and was only able to spend a few months with our baby, before he had to return to Belgium. he was unable to return to the US for almost 3 years... but we kept in daily contact, skyped and phone calls.

we have looked at work visa options, but he does not have any special skills. we have talked about school, but neither of us have that kind of money.

we've talked about marriage (which we WANT to do anyway.. we'd have done it by now, in fact, if we could figure out how... ) - i am currently receiving state aid while i work through severe depression issues, and also a chronic pain issue. i have a very, very limited income. i certainly don't have the kind of money that is required for me to sponsor him in marriage.. but we thought perhaps that would be a reason why he should be here, to care for our son while i receive treatment...

we also thought that perhaps it would be easier for he and i to be married in Belgium... but we are unable to find information on how we would be able to return to the US.. i have older children from a previous relationship, and am a home owner with a mortgage.

we can't afford a lawyer/attorney. we are in love. we just want to be together, as a family, but seem to find more and more red tape the more we look into options.

if anyone can offer any kind of advice, or information that would at least point us in the right direction i would be SO grateful..

i am sorry to paint such a vague picture of our situation, but i would be happy to clarify as necessary.

thank you in advance..

sincerely, Laurie

I also dont see what the huge problem is here. You dont know how to get married? Go to your local court house.

Sponsor him in marrige? You must mean to sponsor him as it relates to obtaining his green card. You would need & could use a co sponsor.

If he leaves the USA to be married in Belgum he would then need a C R 1 visa to return. If you have the money to do this you must not have the money problem you describe.

What you can do is pretty simple really. Begin with the guides here on V J. Formulate some follow up questions to find the right plan that fits your situation. As you do that you may realize how lucky you are to have him inside the USA now. You just need to find the right way to obtain his legal status so he can go to work.

Timeline

thank you for your reply.

yes, we are familiar with the co-sponsor scenario.. however, we don't know anyone who would financially obligate themselves to him/us.

that's a big commitment..

anyway, i have been to uscis.gov over and over and over again.. there is nothing there that answers question for our specific situation..

like, if we get married in Belgium, how soon could we all move back here? because getting married in Belgium doesn't require a co-sponsor..

but how could we come back to the US if i am unemployed due to pain and depressive issues that keep me from gainful employment?

You can get married next week in the US. It is very simple. I am not sure what the confusion over that is.

If you want to sponsor him to live in the US based on your marriage, then since you have limited income, you would need a co-sponsor. The forms also cost money ($1000+). You can check out the required yearly income required for your family size at uscis.gov. If you make under that, you can get a co-sponsor for that aspect. Read that website and follow the links for "I want to help my relative immigrate." This website has good guides too.

Once you've read over that, I'd come back with further questions.

You can marry where ever you want to. But to have him live permanently in the US you are going to somehow need a sponsor (or higher paying job) to fulfilling the requirements.Going to Belgium and marrying is going to cause the same problem.

England.gif England!

And in this crazy life, and through these crazy times

It's you, it's you, You make me sing.

You're every line, you're every word, you're everything.

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Sent: 7/21/12

NOA1: 7/23/12

Touch: 7/24/2012

Biometrics: 8/24/2012

Card Production Ordered: 3/6/2013

*Eligible for Naturalization: October 13, 2013*

Timeline

thank you for your response, AmyKathleen.. i appreciate that you didn't seem to insult my intelligence or imply that i am better off than i described.. FYI, i would SELL everything i own to go to belgium.. IF it was the best way for us to be together..

i have read that getting married abroad makes it easier to return to the US with a foreign born spouse... but i could not find the reasons that was so.. and, as i have said, i don't have an income to support him.. i just get by..

so we were looking at options, and became overwhelmed by the red tape..

sorry if i come across as not having done my homework... i will mention, again, that i am suffering from severe depression in addition to trying to hold my family together, knowing that i am also physically incapable of working, and feeling guilt for that..

people could stand to be a bit empathetic.. we're all on this planet together..

You can marry where ever you want to. But to have him live permanently in the US you are going to somehow need a sponsor (or higher paying job) to fulfilling the requirements.Going to Belgium and marrying is going to cause the same problem.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

thank you for your reply.

yes, we are familiar with the co-sponsor scenario.. however, we don't know anyone who would financially obligate themselves to him/us.

that's a big commitment..

anyway, i have been to uscis.gov over and over and over again.. there is nothing there that answers question for our specific situation..

like, if we get married in Belgium, how soon could we all move back here? because getting married in Belgium doesn't require a co-sponsor..

but how could we come back to the US if i am unemployed due to pain and depressive issues that keep me from gainful employment?

Getting married in the USA doesnt require a sponsor at all.

If you marry in Belgum, you as the USC would have to file a petition for him to be granted a CR1 type visa. That process will take about 9 to 12 months. From what you said this will not be possible unless you find a co sponsor.

You as a USC could come back to the USA at any time as you must know. As a citizen of Belgum his situation is totaly different than yours.

thank you for your response, AmyKathleen.. i appreciate that you didn't seem to insult my intelligence or imply that i am better off than i described.. FYI, i would SELL everything i own to go to belgium.. IF it was the best way for us to be together..

i have read that getting married abroad makes it easier to return to the US with a foreign born spouse... but i could not find the reasons that was so.. and, as i have said, i don't have an income to support him.. i just get by..

sorry if i come across as not having done my homework... i will mention, again, that i am suffering from severe depression in addition to trying to hold my family together, knowing that i am also physically incapable of working, and feeling guilt for that..

I am not sure if you are being ironic or not in your response to me. I didn't mean to sound harsh if I did, but you asked for an answer. There is not a way around the requirement. Immigration is not going to be empathetic when they see your application they will simply deny it. If you move to Belgium you will have to live there legally for some time to do a DFC and even with that you will still need to show enough income to support the immigrant after immigration to the US. I wish you the best in your journey.

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

You would be surprised at how low the threshold is for income. You can use assets to help make up the difference as well.

Here is the amount needed. You are a family of three correct? If you live in the continental US you will need almost $24,000 or a combination of incomes from you and your household or co sponsor.

http://www.masslegal...delines-article

You won't need a lawyer, you can do all the filing yourself. You just have to worry about the filing fees and sponsorship, medical, airfare, passport pics and courier services.

Edited by amykathleen2005

England.gif England!

b0cb1a39c4.png

ROC Timeline

Timeline

--snip-- I wish you the best in your journey.

i was being quite sincere.. thank you.. you've been very helpful :)

there just seems to be a void of information, or a lack of overlap... it has been frustrating for us.

my apologies for the chaotic nature of my situation... we'll just keep trying to find the way that works for us.. i hope there is one.

Any way for your future husband to stay here legally will require a co-sponsor. If you marry in Belgium, he can come back in 9-12 months once his spousal visa is insured. Or, since he is here already, you can marry and file for his Greencard from within the US and he can stay throughout the process. That will also require a co-sponsor. There is no way around this requirement, however, the person is not really "financially obligating themselves" to you and will most likely never see any difference in their lives because of it. They are basically vouching for you. Please look up what it really means and inform yourself based on fact and not hearsay.

USCIS.gov is very helpful... did you find the "I want to help my relative immigrate" page? That will explain to you your two options.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

His best bet is to stay in the US and file to adjust his status from where he is now once you are married. The one thing I will say is it is VERY important he not leave the US once those papers are filed until his petition is approved. My own husband did it this way(and ended up overstaying the VWP for 2 years before we were financially able to file) and it went smoothly, our interview is at the end of next month. So long as you get married and he doesn't leave the country, it's far cheaper and easier to adjust his status here after you marry rather than move, go through DCF, and then move back again.

Our Journey

6/6/2007 Met online

12/05/2007 Realized I was nuts about him!

01/19/2008 Confessed...and he felt the same <3

05/01/2008 Met in person in Chicago

5/2008-5/2010 Umpteen visits between Ireland and US

6/19/2010 Got married!

04/06/2012 Finally able to send paperwork for AOS!

(Day 1)04/11/2012 Papers arrived at Chicago lockbox and signed for.

(Day 3)04/13/2012 Email confirmations!

(Day 7)04/17/2012 NOA hard copies received.

(Day 10)04/20/2012 Biometrics appt received for 05/07/2012

(Day 27)05/07/2012 Biometrics

(Day 65)06/15/2012 EAD approval email

(Day 69)06/19/2012 Interview notice!!! 07/24/2012!!

(Day 75)06/25/2012 EAD arrives.

(Day 104)07/24/2012 Interview in Atlanta....Approved!!!

Expecting a baby boy 8/9/2013!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

His best bet is to stay in the US and file to adjust his status from where he is now once you are married. The one thing I will say is it is VERY important he not leave the US once those papers are filed until his petition is approved. My own husband did it this way(and ended up overstaying the VWP for 2 years before we were financially able to file) and it went smoothly, our interview is at the end of next month. So long as you get married and he doesn't leave the country, it's far cheaper and easier to adjust his status here after you marry rather than move, go through DCF, and then move back again.

Yes, but he won't be able to work in that time, and financially, he would be an added burden (to be blunt).

How about him, does he not have assets in Belgium?

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I understand your pain. The fear of not being able to be with the one you love, and wondering about what will happen with the child, can be very overywhelming. There is a lot of good advice in these posts. I personally applied for a visa while my fiance was in her home country. But in your case, maybe marrying while you are both in America, and then filing for an AOS for love reasons. Take lots of pictures. Family and friends together. Dads and kids and moms. Whatever evidence you can use to prove that it is a real bonafide realationship, then it will help you with whatever happens in the future. I'm not sure your exact route you would have to take. Which is why I'm appreciative that this website puts everything together in forums and downloadable forms.

Good luck~

And May the power of love be with you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.