grrrrreat

New Board of Immigration Appeals case says leaving the U.S. with advance parole does not trigger 10 year ban

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I think everyone should know about a newish BIA case that says leaving the U.S. after the issuance of advance parole does not trigger the ban resulting from an overstay, because leaving with advance parole does not constitute a "departure" for the purpose of the bans. At least one field office has begun to reopen adjustment cases that were denied as a result of the ban. This is an ongoing development, so I do not think that people who have overstays should be confident about leaving the U.S. with advance parole, but it is something to think about (especially if someone has left with advance parole, returned to the U.S. and has a pending adjustment application).

Personally, I think the decision is poorly reasoned and unpersuasive. The rule that leaving with advance parole does not constitute "departure" from the U.S. breaks with longstanding law that leaving the U.S. is generally a "departure" for the purpose of the overstay bans. The decision was result-oriented and probably was made because the BIA found it unfair that USCIS was issuing advance paroles to individuals who had overstays. The decision would result in unintended consequences, such as USCIS refusing to issue advance paroles to adjustment applicants without a good reason, or refusing to issue AP to people who have overstayed at all. I do not know if the case will be appealed to a higher court.

Here is the decision: http://www.justice.gov/eoir/vll/intdec/vol25/3748.pdf

Edited by grrrrreat

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I am of the opinion that unless it's a K-1 visa applying for the AOS, the AP shouldn't be granted if currently in overstay.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline

I am of the opinion that unless it's a K-1 visa applying for the AOS, the AP shouldn't be granted if currently in overstay.

I agree!

My N-400 Journey

06-02-2017 - N-400 package mailed to Dallas Lockbox

06-06-2017 - Credit card charged; received text and email confirming that application was received and NOA is on its way

06-10-2017 - Received NOA letter from NBC dated 06-05-2017

06-16-2017 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter for 06-28-2017

01-19-2018 - Interview Letter sent

02-27-18 - Interview and Oath Ceremony. Finally US CITIZEN! 

My ROC Journey

03-08-2012 - I-751 package mailed to VSC

03-10-2012 - I-751 package delivered

03-14-2012 - Check cashed

03-15-2012 - NOA received, dated 03-12-2012

04-27-2012 - Biometrics appointment

11-23-2012 - ROC approved

11-28-2012 - Approval letter received

12-06-2012 - 10 years Green Card received

My AOS Journey

04-17-09 I-130&I-485&I-765 received by USCIS

04-19-10 AOS Approved

04-29-10 Green Card received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: El Salvador
Timeline

If aprroved I will also like to add that this new law may benefit TPS Holders who EWI who left for a Humanitarian Reason and entered with Advance Parole.

I now know a couple of TPS holders who had the same case and have also heard of others successfully able to AOS but don't have too many details. (only that they did not need a waiver and got approved within 4 months).

I Have had TPS for over 10 yrs and have entered twice on Advance Parole and am now on AOS pending Status.

00fg9n74.png

EWI, TPS, ADVANCE PAROLE, AOS

05/30-(day 0)- AOS sent

06/01-(day 1)- AOS received

06/04-(day 4)- AOS acceptance

06/06-(day 6)-Txt/Email, routed to NBC

06/09-(day 9)-I-797 NOA received (Saturday)

06/11-(day 11)-Called to fix typographical error(Missing middle name on I-130)

06/20-(day 20)- Email received (Saying error fixed)

07/13-(day 43)Email: reused most recent biometrics, awaiting Indie status

09/10-(day 103)Humanitarian Expedite Request

9/13-(day 106) Interview October 17TH (TOTAL 139 DAYS)

9/17-APPROVED ON THE SPOT AND STAMP ON PASSPORT WHICH EXPIRES IN ONE YR!!!

Why though? Just to punish overstayers? And why would K-1s get an exception. They could have applied to adjust status before their I-94 expired as well.

Why though? Just to punish overstayers? And why would K-1s get an exception. They could have applied to adjust status before their I-94 expired as well.

True statement!

Just because people are able to adjust their status faster within the states, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to leave the country. If many of you had the chance to do that (legally!) adjust while being with your loved one, you would!

agreee

True statement!

Just because people are able to adjust their status faster within the states, doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to leave the country. If many of you had the chance to do that (legally!) adjust while being with your loved one, you would!

agree, you hit the spot

AOS

day 1 -- 04/11/2012-- package sent to Chicago

day 2 -- 04/12/2012-- package was received.

day 43-- 05/23/2012-- Notice for an interview is received for 06/26 @ 2pm

day 63-- 06/12/2012-- Received a Text & email for an update- Card production EAD/AP

day 77-- 06/26/2012-- interview / approved on the spot.

day 86-- 07/05/2012-- Received my GC in the mail.

ROC

day 1 -- 04/07/2014 -- ROC Package delivered to VSC

day 16 -- 04/23/2014 -- Walk-in Bio.

day 197 -- 10/20/2014-- Approval Letter received dated 10/16/2014

day 202 -- 10/25/2014-- GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I don't think that's how Darnell meant his statement to be taken. USCIS has long had a policy to issue advance parole to people with sufficient overstay to trigger a ban if they left. Many well-meaning but uninformed intending immigrants left the US after receiving advance parole, only to be told they triggered a ban when they left. Whether they trigger a ban now depends on how informed the CBP officer is when they try to reenter, since many field offices don't move until a formal policy directive is issued by the director. Issuing advance parole to someone who might trigger a ban if they leave is irresponsible on the part of USCIS, and borders on government entrapment. Bold text warnings in the I-131 instructions are not sufficient. If someone might trigger a ban when they leave then USCIS shouldn't issue them advance parole. That's what Darnell meant. I agree with him.

12/15/2009 - K1 Visa Interview - APPROVED!

12/29/2009 - Married in Oakland, CA!

08/18/2010 - AOS Interview - APPROVED!

05/01/2013 - Removal of Conditions - APPROVED!

I don't think that's how Darnell meant his statement to be taken. USCIS has long had a policy to issue advance parole to people with sufficient overstay to trigger a ban if they left. Many well-meaning but uninformed intending immigrants left the US after receiving advance parole, only to be told they triggered a ban when they left. Whether they trigger a ban now depends on how informed the CBP officer is when they try to reenter, since many field offices don't move until a formal policy directive is issued by the director. Issuing advance parole to someone who might trigger a ban if they leave is irresponsible on the part of USCIS, and borders on government entrapment. Bold text warnings in the I-131 instructions are not sufficient. If someone might trigger a ban when they leave then USCIS shouldn't issue them advance parole. That's what Darnell meant. I agree with him.

But the whole point of this thread is that applicants who leave with advance parole do not incur overstay bans, even if they overstayed...so why can't USCIS issue them AP and let them leave the U.S. temporarily? There's no entrapment here because there are no overstay bans!

But the whole point of this thread is that applicants who leave with advance parole do not incur overstay bans, even if they overstayed...so why can't USCIS issue them AP and let them leave the U.S. temporarily? There's no entrapment here because there are no overstay bans!

I believe that JimVaPhuong was speaking in the past-tense, i.e. prior to this decision and I do have to agree, it was irresponsible of the USCIS to issue AP's to those who may trigger a ban if they leave.

Edited by ChrisPG

Background Information

-Dec 2006: Arrived with an F1 visa

-Dec 2007: Met USC.

-Dec 2009: Got Engaged.

-Jan 2010: Fell out of Status.

-Oct 2010: Married USC.

-Feb 2012: Filed I-130/AOS

I-130/AOS Timeline

Day 0: 02/25/12: Mailed concurrent I-130/AOS Package to the Chicago Lockbox

Day 2: 02/27/12: Package arrived at the Chicago Lockbox.

Day 5: 03/01/12: Email acceptance confirmation received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765.

Day 13: 03/09/12: NOA1s received for Forms: I-130, I-485 & I-765. Biometrics letter also received and scheduled for March 27th.

Day 24: 03/20/12: Email notification for RFE.

Day 27: 03/23/12: Hardcopy RFE received in the mail.

Day 31: 03/27/12: Biometrics completed.

Day 40: 04/05/12: Mailed off the RFE.

Day 44: 04/09/12: RFE Delivered.

Day 46: 04/11/12: USCIS received RFE and case updated online.

Day 55: 04/20/12: EAD approved!

Day 60: 04/25/12: Received 2nd "EAD in Production" Email.

Day 61: 04/26/12: EAD Mailed.

Day 63: 04/28/12: EAD in hand!

Day 74: 05/09/12: Interview date scheduled for June 12th.

Day 75: 05/10/12: Interview letter in hand.

Day 108: 06/12/12: Interview.

Day 110: 06/14/12: Received I-485 & I-130 approval emails.

Day 114: 06/18/12: Received I-130 & I-485 Approval hardcopies.

Day 115: 06/19/12: Received GC in production email.

Day 116: 06/20/12: Received "GC mailed" & "USPS picked up your GC" emails.

Day 118: 06/22/12: GC arrived in the mail

March 16th 2014: Eligible to file ROC.

March 16th 2015: Eligible to file for naturalization.

Timeline

Yup. Exactly.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

It's a circular problem, to be certain.

My preferred method of dealing with it is to NOT issue AP to those who are NOT doing an AOS from a K-1 Visa.

I said nothing about entrapment or overstay bans. I'm leaning to NO AP whatsoever, unless you came in on a K-1 visa.

The 'why' is obvious - or it should be, to an immigration attorney. I know, I know, less paperwork for you? Less fees you can collect - but that's a side issue, and not my issue.

Those folk slinging through an AOS (non K-1s) really should sit out the process in the USA until the greencard is in hand. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, regardless.

Timeline

---

fwiw, ONE case with the BIA does not change the law, or make something 'workable' with the INA, or adds new paragraphs to 9FAM.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm not sure that this really changes anything... yet.

There is no USCIS law that states it's okay yet. So someone who should get a ban leaves, do CBP know that they're supposed to let them enter? Or do they have to take it to the BIA in order to get their ban overturned? Or what?

I think until there is official word from USCIS no-one should risk leaving if they have 180 days or more of overstay. It's just not worth the stress. Esp when they should get the GC in around 6 months so if they already have that much overstay they've already been "stuck" in the US for a while, a little while longer won't kill them.

I'm not sure that this really changes anything... yet.

There is no USCIS law that states it's okay yet. So someone who should get a ban leaves, do CBP know that they're supposed to let them enter? Or do they have to take it to the BIA in order to get their ban overturned? Or what?

I think until there is official word from USCIS no-one should risk leaving if they have 180 days or more of overstay. It's just not worth the stress. Esp when they should get the GC in around 6 months so if they already have that much overstay they've already been "stuck" in the US for a while, a little while longer won't kill them.

BIA decisions are binding on immigration judges--who are part of the USCIS. If CBP were to wrongfully deny entry, they could seek a hearing with an immigration judge.

It's a circular problem, to be certain.

My preferred method of dealing with it is to NOT issue AP to those who are NOT doing an AOS from a K-1 Visa.

I said nothing about entrapment or overstay bans. I'm leaning to NO AP whatsoever, unless you came in on a K-1 visa.

The 'why' is obvious - or it should be, to an immigration attorney. I know, I know, less paperwork for you? Less fees you can collect - but that's a side issue, and not my issue.

Those folk slinging through an AOS (non K-1s) really should sit out the process in the USA until the greencard is in hand. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it, regardless.

I think I am being insulted but I can't figure out why. And no it's not obvious why we'd deny advance parole to all adjustment applicants except K-1s.

---

fwiw, ONE case with the BIA does not change the law, or make something 'workable' with the INA, or adds new paragraphs to 9FAM.

The BIA decides what's workable with the INA and its decisions are binding on USCIS and the Department of Justice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.