gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

a Difference i noticed...

In America, A dad jingles the car keys saying "who wants to go for ice cream?" then loads up the gang, and drives for some 15 to 30 minutes to the local drive-in for ice cream cones....

In Philippines, a dad asks who wants ice cream (or frozen milk), then sends one of the kids to go get for everyone from the local sari-sari (on credit)....and pays for it later on....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

:pop: Monreal's family is probably more of a functional family than i have ever seen. Her Tatay usually pays cash for everything unless something major happens. Her uncle purchased a business using credit but paid it back within two years. He is now very successful in Pasay City. I think probably ever person is different, just like here in America. Edited by Paramedic(918)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

a Difference i noticed...

In America, A dad jingles the car keys saying "who wants to go for ice cream?" then loads up the gang, and drives for some 15 to 30 minutes to the local drive-in for ice cream cones....

In Philippines, a dad asks who wants ice cream (or frozen milk), then sends one of the kids to go get for everyone from the local sari-sari (on credit)....and pays for it later on....

Never experience your first statement.... I mean when my brother-in-law brings his kids to creamery, they just tell them, and they will just get in the car.

As for your second statement...... Never heard that before, usually, for non-necessary item, they don't get it and put it as credit. I've known this as when I was younger, we had sari-sari store.

I don't think you are trying to portray difference in culture, but difference in family perspective as it's not common practice in both countries.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Just my experience:

Growing up, Dad watched football and sent the kids to the corner store for everything. At first we always complained but once we got our driver's license, we couldn't wait to get sent for things.

My family in the Philippines only spends money they have and they only buy non-essentials when they have extra money. I couldn't imagine them using credit for ice cream.

But again, that's just my experience. I certainly can't speak for every American or Filipino family.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I am not sure the basis of your observation. As far as my growing up experience is concerned, my father ( Tatay ) was the one who goes somewhere to do some Store run. My parents buys non-necessity stuff when there's money to spare. We are so far raised to make do on what we have and make the best out of it. As far as borrowing - unless its really a matter of life and death, it less likely happen.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Stop stereotyping! I don't know where you base all your 'observations'. If that's how your wife's family does it then say so. You make it sound like everybody in the Philippines is the same way LOL ...:bonk:

:thumbs: :thumbs:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I was not aware there was such a way to do credit in the philippines. More or less, pinoy tend to have everyone involved. One person wants taho, everyone gets it. One person wants buko juice, everyone has it.

Ugh... everyone has to take things as stereotyping. :rolleyes:

One thing I noticed is pinoy tend to not tell things in advance, or omit things to make it "don't ask, don't tell".

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

...but is it any bit upsetting to anyone? i.e. Just because you enter wal-mart being greeted with a "merry christmas", is it really something to get upset about if you don't celebrate the holiday yourself? Whether or not you celebrate it, its a nationally observed holiday that almost everyone has off work. Why cry about it?

...but is it any bit upsetting to anyone? i.e. Just because you enter wal-mart being greeted with a "merry christmas", is it really something to get upset about if you don't celebrate the holiday yourself? Whether or not you celebrate it, its a nationally observed holiday that almost everyone has off work. Why cry about it?

:thumbs: Doesn't bother me. I worked as a server in a restaurant once, and I remember the employer telling me to greet people with happy holidays rather than Merry Christmas, but I celebrate Christmas. If I am going to greet, I will greet a Merry Christmas. It doesn't have to be merry if they don't want it to be. These things are trivial to me. About the ice cream. How about the fact that we(US) have considerably more choices to choose from, but we don't have some of that good Ube readily available. :( Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.