gretchen_darren

American vs Filipino

222 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

The SSI fund has a bunch of IOUs because Lydon Baines Johnson and his cronies stole all the money from SSI to balance the budget while he was in office, leaving the IOUs behind (and it became a way of "doing business" every since). SSI was very solvent before that! And still would be...

FYI the people on SSI today paid into the fund ALL their working lives... if the SOB... errrr LBJ hadn't stole it all things would be fine.

They're doing what the electorate wants. The retirees participation rate in elections is something like twice the youngest eligible cohort. There is no political counterpart to the AARP for young people. The older people have money and power whereas the young don't. So I don't blame politicians. It is the corruption in the people.

The system was wrong from the beginning. Old people that didn't put a penny into the system just started getting checks from working people. Every generation since then uses the theft from them to justify theft from the next generation.

The Filipino way is not only more honest, but retains the strength of family bonds.

Filed: Timeline

The Filipino way is not only more honest, but retains the strength of family bonds.

Plus, it puts old people in the back bedroom, taking care of the kids, while the adults go out in the world and make a living. The idea that people who don't work are making decisions for those of us that do is just plain wrong.

They're doing what the electorate wants. The retirees participation rate in elections is something like twice the youngest eligible cohort. There is no political counterpart to the AARP for young people. The older people have money and power whereas the young don't. So I don't blame politicians. It is the corruption in the people.

The system was wrong from the beginning. Old people that didn't put a penny into the system just started getting checks from working people. Every generation since then uses the theft from them to justify theft from the next generation.

Often the burden falls on the few or one in the family though, even if more could help. I'll say yes in a way it can be more honest, at least you have to face that you're taking from your children. In the USA, the system is based on having income so cheap can't just opt out. The Philippines does have SS just like the USA now though. Although I think those that did not contribute do not get anything.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines has SSS....:whistle:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines has SSS....:whistle:

I don't know a lot about it because nobody in my wife's family is in it. They all do the traditional kids-support-parents retirement plan. So for anyone who matters to us, no there is no such social security system.

I'm self-employed and I have no choice but to pay into it. Congress of course exempted themselves and I think there are some other public employee exemptions. But "covered" by social security in the US means they have a gun pointing at you and if you don't pay they put you in jail.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

here's one difference, i told my ex-mahal, i will go get sodas for everyone at canteen down the street from her appartment ! so i ask for 6 Coca Colas, they proceed to hand me 6 bags that dont have a seal on the top with 6 straws !!!! there i am walking down the street trying not to spill the 6 sodas !

[06.01.11] Courting Ruth Joy (chatmate)
[10.24.11] Fourth Trip to Philippines First to meet Ruth Joy
[11.08.11] Engauged to Ruth Joy
[11.05.12] Married to Ruth Joy
[01.11.13] Recieved NOA1 with MSC Reciept #
[03.11.13] Recieved RFE (Written Document of How and When We Met, + evidence of a bonified relationship)
[03.15.13] Sent out RFE Reply
[03.21.13] Recieved NOA2

[05.07.13] Fee's have been paid, packet sent to NVC

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

That may have been what you were "trying" to point out, but your examples are not typical of either.... if you were shooting for sh_t you would get a wiff... :blush:

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

here's one difference, i told my ex-mahal, i will go get sodas for everyone at canteen down the street from her appartment ! so i ask for 6 Coca Colas, they proceed to hand me 6 bags that dont have a seal on the top with 6 straws !!!! there i am walking down the street trying not to spill the 6 sodas !

Yep, I forgot about that.... saw it a lot in the village, but not a lot in butuan...because I would buy soda in the mall or resort where I was staying.

But then again.... those mcDonald cups in a cardboard drink carrier aren't much easier....

one major thing I noticed.... garbage just thrown on the ground or maybe burned.... while in USA we get fined for littering.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

02/11/2011 - Engaged at her house by her Godmother.

02/18/2011 - Engagement party with relatives - propose in Visayan.

02/24/2011 - K-1 packet sent.

09/18/2011 - POE, Viva Las Vegas, Baby !!!!! Home to Phoenix.

12/10/2011 - Official Wedding

07/05/2012 - Princess Rose born.

07/07/2012 - AP/EAD received.

07/17/2012 - AOS passed. (Birthday for Mama Rayos)

event.png

event.png

event.png

Timeline

That may have been what you were "trying" to point out, but your examples are not typical of either.... if you were shooting for sh_t you would get a wiff... :blush:

dries out too quickly in the desert....

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Another post violating the TOS has been removed

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

a Difference i noticed...

In America, A dad jingles the car keys saying "who wants to go for ice cream?" then loads up the gang, and drives for some 15 to 30 minutes to the local drive-in for ice cream cones....

In Philippines, a dad asks who wants ice cream (or frozen milk), then sends one of the kids to go get for everyone from the local sari-sari (on credit)....and pays for it later on....

hey, arent you the guy who came back from the philippines with your credit card maxed out and so broke you only had a few dollars to eat on for the next couple of weeks? you dont look like a filipino in your photo.

Timeline

hey, arent you the guy who came back from the philippines with your credit card maxed out and so broke you only had a few dollars to eat on for the next couple of weeks? you dont look like a filipino in your photo.

hehe, the problem was my manager did not let me bill comp time the first visit on vacation.... so I had to eat food in the pantry... Still had steak, chicken, etc. Just no "nice meals" dining out.

But a good point almost all Americans have bank accounts and savings plus credit cards. Some Filipinos do not have bank accounts or a savings account...

Plus, as others have pointed out: most Americans compete with the "Joneses" on things while many Filipinos just get what they need to live.

K-1 Visa Timeline:

event.png

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.