Sollua

Flying back together

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

How can my fiancé and I both book the same flight back? I am a total noob at this kind of thing so maybe its really easy, or maybe impossible. But how can me and my fiance book the same flight back?

The situation:

I will be flying from America to meet her in RDJ

She will be flying to RDJ to meet me and we interview it up together

We need flights before this date obviously, since Its cheaper, and I need to meet her in RDJ.

Since I am not a Brazilian, i need a round trip ticket. Since shes not American she will need a round trip ticket too, and have it already.

The Objective:

How can we both satisfy the law, having round trip tickets but make the same flight back to the US together, that we may fly together after the visa is granted?

Thank you everyone in advance!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

How can my fiancé and I both book the same flight back? I am a total noob at this kind of thing so maybe its really easy, or maybe impossible. But how can me and my fiance book the same flight back?

The situation:

We need flights before this date obviously, since Its cheaper, and I need to meet her in RDJ.

Since I am not a Brazilian, i need a round trip ticket. Since shes not American she will need a round trip ticket too, and have it already.

The Objective:

How can we both satisfy the law, having round trip tickets but make the same flight back to the US together, that we may fly together after the visa is granted?

Just try to get a one way ticket on the same flight you'll get yours? One thing, though..... make sure that you get your ticket with enough time to face any events that may arise while in Brazil.

You need to keep in mind that:

a) Passports, sometimes, take longer to be delivered than what then Embassy says

b) When she gets her passport, she'll have to make sure ALL the information on the visa is correct. Printing mistakes happen more often that you would think, and this may cause an issue at POE is something there is not correct.

So, basically, try not to get a ticket for the day after the interview... try to get one for a few weeks after or so.

If she can fly by herself, without you; then that might be a very good option for you. It's your call.

Filed: Country: Brazil
Timeline

Just try to get a one way ticket on the same flight you'll get yours? One thing, though..... make sure that you get your ticket with enough time to face any events that may arise while in Brazil.

You need to keep in mind that:

a) Passports, sometimes, take longer to be delivered than what then Embassy says

b) When she gets her passport, she'll have to make sure ALL the information on the visa is correct. Printing mistakes happen more often that you would think, and this may cause an issue at POE is something there is not correct.

So, basically, try not to get a ticket for the day after the interview... try to get one for a few weeks after or so.

If she can fly by herself, without you; then that might be a very good option for you. It's your call.

See the problem is don't we HAVE to have roundtrip flights since i'm not a brazilian citezen and shes not an american citezen yet?

Timeline

See the problem is don't we HAVE to have roundtrip flights since i'm not a brazilian citezen and shes not an american citezen yet?

You do, she doesn't.

Round Trip tickets are required when the other country wants to have some sort of warranty that the passenger will return to their home country.

Therefore, you will need the Round Trip for Brazil but, because she will be coming with a K1 visa, and that means she's coming to stay, she won't.

good.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Purchasing nonrefundable tickets in advance, or even tickets with severe change-penalties, can be a fool's game if it's done before the visa is GRANTED and IN HAND.

Never EVER presume issuance of a visa.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Purchasing nonrefundable tickets in advance, or even tickets with severe change-penalties, can be a fool's game if it's done before the visa is GRANTED and IN HAND.

Si, man good.gif

tongue.gif

Edited by Celeste & C

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

i think you can get an open round trip ticket for you, so you can change the return date when you both ready, and buy a one way ticket for your fiancee after she got her visa, since she'll go with k1 visa, if local travel agent won't allow one way ticket then purchase it online :yes:

:thumbs: This is pretty much the first thing you need to think about. In regard to the beneficiary's ticket, others have already mentioned that she only needs a one way ticket. When you are ready for her to fly to the US, be sure to compare between one way and round trip. Sometimes, the round trip ticket can be cheaper.

Edited by ToddnJessa

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Filed: Country: Monaco
Timeline
1338331862[/url]' post='5406795']

The situation:

The Objective:

Not easy but doable. You need to do some planning and digging around for airfares and you need to be prepared to lose a few dollars. I presume that you do not know the date on which the two of you would be flying....

The first step is for you to get your airfare. If she knows the date of her interview she can ask the consulate in Rio for an estimate as to when she can expect her package. Your return date should be a couple of days later than the worst estimate date given by the consulate. If you could plan for a week or so later so much the better. When you book your ticket just make sure that the return date can be changed. Most fares to So.America allow the return date to be changed for a fee of about $150 per change , so long as you rebook it in advance, I.e. don't let the date of your flight pass, otherwise the ticket is forfeited.

Your fiancée will not need a return ticket, so she can travel on a one way ticket, which can be booked at the last minute. However, if the round trip fares are lots cheaper than a one way fare, you may consider getting her a special fare ticket, but also make sure that is can be rebooked. These tickets too can be rebooked by an average of $150 per change. The trick is that you would need to rebook in increments of X days in order to allow for her package to arrive. Unless of course the consulate will give her the package on the same day or schedule a date on which she can pick it up in person, which would make things a little more easy.

It is a gamble and if you play with the change fees it may end up costing you maybe $300 per change for both. If you plan it safe you may not need to rebook both tickets more than once.

Good luck!

200px-FSM_Logo.svg.png

www.ffrf.org

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.