JAYKE

Don't get a cold if you only have a green card!!!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Mini Rant ahead.......

So both my husband and I have pretty ugly colds at the moment. We decided to walk around the corner to a Walgreen's Pharmacy to get some sudafed, as it is the only thing that really works for me. Because sudafed is made with Pseudophedrine, it's now all kept behind the counter, per federal law. So, I bring the ticket up to the girl, and she states she needs my driver's license. However, since we walked there, I don't have it - hubby has his wallet, so I tell him to give me his green card. The girl takes one look at it, and says, "I can't sell you this because the card has no address on it." So I tell her I will give her my address. She says no, she needs a state or Federal photo ID. So I tell her the Green Card IS a photo ID and that my husband certainly had his background checked in order to get it, and we obviously are of age, so just please let us buy the cold medicine. She checks with another pharmacist behind the counter, who was VERY rude and says it MUST have an address on it.

So, I ask to talk to the manager. This nineteen year old looking kid comes up and again insists it's a federal law that they have a photo ID with address on it. So, I ask him to show me a copy of the statute. Twenty minutes later, he hands me three pages of paper, which states "A STATE OR FEDERAL ID CARD IS NEEDED FOR ALL PSUEDOPHEDRINE PUCHASES, AS PER FEDERAL LAW". Then it goes on to say, that Walgreens policy is that they need to verify address. So I tell the guy we Have the Federal ID card with photo, birthdate, even FINGERPRINT, and I can verbally verify our address.. He then says, anyone can make up an address. So then I tell him, yeah, and my driver's license still has my old address from two years ago on it. He then excuses himself and calls his district manager, and then comes back and tells us that the district manager "advises against selling it without an address on the ID card". Aaaaaagh!!!!

So, I ask him again, if a new resident of the US has a cold and wants some sudafed, and all he has is a foreign passport, a social security card and a federally-issued green card, how can he buy the medicine. His answer: "He's out of luck".

So, that's my rant. I'm still so irritated. I called the 1-800-Walgreens number and filed a complaint, but I don't think it would do any good.

Grumble.

Happy

Jayke

Sorry to hear that they were so stubborn on it. I managed to get a prescription filed in my local Smith's without a state ID. Maybe you could try somewhere else? Or you could go ahead and get the medicine for him? Is it over the counter stuff?

sudafed is behind the counter now? when did that happen?

Cause stoopid people make meth out of the ingredients :angry: .... It sucks having to show ID to get those sorts of med's when back home you could easily drop a few packs in your tesco's trolley when doing your weekly shop! I guess the masses have to suffer for a few stoopid druggies out there with their meth labs....

-10/02/06 The beginning of the rest of our lives together!!!

-11/03/06 Our wedding day!!!

AOS Timeline

-03/05/06 NOA 1 For AOS, EAD & AP

-13/05/06 All applications touched

-05/06/06 Letter recieved from USCIS Appointment date set for Biometrics

-21/06/06 Biometrics apptointment

-24/06/06 EAD and AOS Touched

-29/06/06 AP e-mail approval

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-03/07/06 EAD e-mail approval (61 days)

-08/07/06 Recived AP doccuments

-10/07/06 EAD Arrives!!! Hooray

-15/07/06 USCIS letter recieved for AOS interview date

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-22/08/06 AOS Approved at interview (111 days)

-22/08/06 E-mails from USCIS Confirming AOS approval

-02/09/06 Condtional green card recieved in the mail!!!

-28/05/08 Mailed I-175 Petition to remove conditions

-02/06/08 Application recieved at CA!

-27/06/08 Biometrics

-15/08/08 Green Card recieved, good till 2018!!!

Note: Dates are in UK format because I'm (still) stubborn!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Try the Sudafed PE. It's phenylephrine, NOT the pseudoephedrine. Working in an allergy clinic I have seen the havic it has caused by sudafed (pseudoephedrine) being behind the counter. As a nurse, I cannot give samples of this out to a patient, however I can suggest they go to a pharmacy and get it. :wacko: Sudafed PE with the phenylephrine works exactly the same way as the other stuff too. :D

sudafed is behind the counter now? when did that happen?

Nurse practioners cannot even write scripts for it now which is a crock of poo. Here in Missouri we're trying to get this new law overturned. I'm not sure of the exact date when this all took place, but I'm thinking it was the end of 2005/ first of 2006.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

That's something I'll trully miss moving there. :(

I'm used to taking a bunch of meds that I can buy normally here and won't be able to over there.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: Other Timeline

I think you did the correct thing by calling the 800 number.

There's always an exception to every rule, and good managers know that. But you don't know what was 'behind' their response to you. There could be some edict from the home office that not following this rule can cost them their job.

So you did the right thing in pointing out that other forms of ID should be sufficient to satisfy their requirements.

I noticed that when I had to fill a prescription before I flew to Russia! Seemed like most of the cold medecine was behind the counter at Walgreens now! :angry:

Does seem a bit odd that a Green Card is not enough to get it though, maybe you need a Green Card AND a letter addressed to the holder! :wacko:

Hope you 2 are feeling better though! :P

Edited by Marc and Olga

K-1 timeline

05/03/06: NOA1

06/29/06: IMBRA RFE Received

07/28/06: NOA2 received in the mail!

10/06/06: Interview

02/12/07: Olga arrived

02/19/07: Marc and Olga marry

02/20/07: DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AOS Timeline

03/29/07: NOA1

04/02/07: Notice of biometrics appointment

04/14/07: Biometrics appointment

07/10/07: AOS Interview - Passed.

Done with USCIS until 2009!

Filed: Other Timeline

pseudoephedrine moved behind the counter about a year ago. In some states its outright banned AFAIK. And all because some eejits are making meth from allergy and cold medicines :P For a while there, after I moved here and my allergies went completely insane, the only thing that worked for me was Tylenol with pseudoephedrine. Now its just a pain in the ####### to get it...I'm glad my allergies seem to have adjusted to whatever it is here that drove them nutz :yes:

Every store has a different policy tho, so shop around.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

....and so showing I.d. is going to stop people from making meth ? That's just plain idiotic!

I have a friend was denied outright his purchase of Nyquil. He had i.d. , they stocked the product but flatly refused to sell it to him.

....and often times it's not the store policy that is out of line but the way an over-zealous employee chooses to interpret it.

google.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
....and so showing I.d. is going to stop people from making meth ? That's just plain idiotic!

I have a friend was denied outright his purchase of Nyquil. He had i.d. , they stocked the product but flatly refused to sell it to him.

....and often times it's not the store policy that is out of line but the way an over-zealous employee chooses to interpret it.

in Oklahoma, it worked very well. I heard a statistic lately that police used to bust about 100 meth labs a month, now it's down to 2 since the new law went into effect. Less access to the drug = less activity it seems.

Now that people are finding ways around it, there are plans to set up an electronic shared registry that will deter people even further.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Wow, I'm really surprised to read about this. At least here in New York I've never seen cold meds behind the counter, they're always on the shelf along with the other products. (Maybe it's a Walgreens policy? We don't have many Walgreens in my area so I don't know if they're more strict than other pharmacies)

I buy Sudafed and Nyquil several times a year and so far have never had to show an ID. The last time I had a cold was about two months ago, and I had no problem buying medicine at my local pharmacy.

However, I almost always carry my driver's license on me so it would not be a real problem to present an ID if they required it. But I don't get why they would prefer one ID over another! That's frustrating!

JOURNEY HIGHLIGHTS

04/23/05: Sent fiance petition (I-129F) to VSC

10/26/05: K-1 visa in hand

02/17/06: Flight to U.S. - POE Anchorage

03/01/06: We got married!!

03/04/06: Applied for Adjustment of Status

07/31/06: Received 2-Year Green Card in the mail

04/08/08: Sent application for Removal of Conditions to VSC

03/20/09: Received 10-year Green Card in the mail

04/11/09: Mailed N-400 application to Lewisville, TX Lockbox

08/18/09: Citizenship interview in Garden City, NY

08/27/09: Sworn in as a U.S. Citizen in Brooklyn Court House

08/29/09: Applied for U.S. Passport (routine service)

09/25/09: Received U.S. Passport in the mail

* Our Journey is Complete ! *

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

in Oklahoma, it worked very well. I heard a statistic lately that police used to bust about 100 meth labs a month, now it's down to 2 since the new law went into effect. Less access to the drug = less activity it seems.

Now that people are finding ways around it, there are plans to set up an electronic shared registry that will deter people even further.

Yep, it's the electronic registry that caused the issue. They needed his ID to confirm his birthdate and enter his "unique ID number" (usually a driver's license, but in this case it would have been the A# off the green card). They then needed to enter an address, and instead of letting us verbally verify it as the law implicitly allows, they wanted to SEE it on something.

BTW, we are in Connecticut, and used to be able to get all the cold meds on the shelf till about a year ago. You can still get like Sudafed PE (pseudophedrine free) off the shelf, but not the original.

After this incident, I did talk to my uncle who was here visiting. He is a pharmacist in Florida, and he confirmed that all they need is a photo ID and that the address thing certainly did appear to be an overzealous employee.

Oh well, we are feeling better now anyway....

Happy

Jayke

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.