PMartin37

Conflicting Information for I-130 requirements

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

My husband and I were both looking at the U.S. Consulate webpage for New Delhi regarding requirements for an I-130 petition. On the required documents it lists that the beneficiary's birth certificate is needed for the petition itself- not the visa. This is conflicting with everything I've read regarding required documents for this petition. It doesn't state anywhere in the instructions nor have I seen any mention of it needed on VJ or any other website I've researched. He's wanting me to ask to be sure, because I didn't send it. I thought this is asked for the NVC at the time of the DS230 application. Anybody know the answer to this? We are panicking a little.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

for the visa application your husband needs to send an original copy of his birth certificate. for the 1-130 a copy of his birth certificate.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

My husband and I were both looking at the U.S. Consulate webpage for New Delhi regarding requirements for an I-130 petition. On the required documents it lists that the beneficiary's birth certificate is needed for the petition itself- not the visa. This is conflicting with everything I've read regarding required documents for this petition. It doesn't state anywhere in the instructions nor have I seen any mention of it needed on VJ or any other website I've researched. He's wanting me to ask to be sure, because I didn't send it. I thought this is asked for the NVC at the time of the DS230 application. Anybody know the answer to this? We are panicking a little.

Was it this page that you were reading? If so, those are instructions for filing a petition at the USCIS field office in New Delhi. Filing a petition at an overseas field office will have specific requirements that are not applicable to filing a petition stateside. Since you filed stateside, you are fine.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

for the visa application your husband needs to send an original copy of his birth certificate. for the 1-130 a copy of his birth certificate.

Why is this not listed then for the instructions for the I-130???? I've looked about 100 times!! GRR. It asks for children birth certificates but not for the spouse.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

yes u have to send a copy for i 130 and nvc is original plus u still have to make copies of all original paper work to nvc so ur case move fast or they will send checklist

Edited by jamdown22

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

for the 1-130 a copy of his birth certificate.

Incorrect, a copy of the beneficiary's birth certificate IS NOT REQUIRED when filing a petition at a USCIS lockbox stateside. Filing at a field office overseas will have different requirements.

yes u have to send a copy for i 130

No you don't have to send a copy of the beneficiary's birth certificate and that is the question the OP is asking.

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Timeline

Was it this page that you were reading? If so, those are instructions for filing a petition at the USCIS field office in New Delhi. Filing a petition at an overseas field office will have specific requirements that are not applicable to filing a petition stateside. Since you filed stateside, you are fine.

Ryan, yes that's one I believe. My husband read this and was starting to panic which of course is contagious lol. I sent a copy of my birth certificate though as the petitioner and yes I did file from the states. Thank you!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Thanks Darnell for the link! I guess we are ok with the documents I sent already , according to this list. It seems that I was looking at the consulate requirements for filing abroad and it gave my hub a panic attack and I just wanted to be sure. Whew!! :dance:

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

The above is simply wrong. The foreign spouse's birth certificate is not needed at the petition stage at all, unless filing the petition abroad. Since the petition is not being filed abroad, the Consulate's filing instructions are not applicable. Use the I-130 filing instructions and the VJ Guides.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Thanks Darnell for the link! I guess we are ok with the documents I sent already , according to this list. It seems that I was looking at the consulate requirements for filing abroad and it gave my hub a panic attack and I just wanted to be sure. Whew!! :dance:

Ya, Consular intake on docs is different.

re: originals of anything into NVC - not needed, except that the signature on the G-325A be original.

I dunno, if one has the instructions for the I-130, and reads them, this website would vanish...

Warmest Regards.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

whoa - I miss-typed. Corrected, below.

Ya, Consular intake on docs is different.

re: originals of anything into USCIS - not needed, except that the signature on the G-325A be original.

I dunno, if one has the instructions for the I-130, and reads them, this website would vanish...

Warmest Regards.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.