snowball1081

Getting a GC for my mom (on B1/B2 visa)

38 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I just had a baby last June. My mom came to the US with a tourist visa a couple times in the past year to help me taking care of my baby and stayed for a couple months. She got in again in APR and decided that she wanted to stay here to help me take care of the baby because she missed him so much when she was away (her first grandson). I just got a US citizen in March. Is it possible to get a green card for her?

Filed: Timeline

I just had a baby last June. My mom came to the US with a tourist visa a couple times in the past year to help me taking care of my baby and stayed for a couple months. She got in again in APR and decided that she wanted to stay here to help me take care of the baby because she missed him so much when she was away (her first grandson). I just got a US citizen in March. Is it possible to get a green card for her?

Yes. You fill out and file I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and I-864 Affidavit of Support. If you do not qualify to sponsor her, you must also find another sponsor to file a second I-864 who does qualify. Your mom will fill out and file I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, and I-693 Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.

If your mom wishes to work and/or travel outside of the U.S. while the adjustment application is pending, she should also file I-765 Application for Employment Authorization Document and I-131 Application for Travel Document (for advance parole). If she travels outside of the U.S. without advance parole, her adjustment application will be abandoned and her B2 visa may be cancelled.

Submit all of these forms together in one package with their fees and required supporting evidence. Read the instructions of these forms and the guides on this site, such as the I-130 for a parent guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/immigration-parents Prepare for your interview and be very careful to submit all the required forms and evidence as requested by the instructions.

Your mom was not permitted to enter the U.S. on her B1/B2 visa with the intent to stay permanently, so she may have to explain how she changed her mind after entering. Good luck.

Edited by grrrrreat

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

This is simply abuse of the tourist visa as was every entry she made. None of those were about being a tourist as we see here. If she had told the truth in trying to obtain the tourist visa to serve as a nanny she would have been denied. She has commited fraud with each entry. What did she tell the officer at the POE when asked what she was going to do during her " tourist" trips?

I dont see how that can be changed into a green card. In fact she will probably have her tourist visa revoked when the facts are known.

Edited by Ning

This is simply abuse of the tourist visa as was every entry she made. None of those were about being a tourist as we see here. If she had told the truth in trying to obtain the tourist visa to serve as a nanny she would have been denied. She has commited fraud with each entry. What did she tell the officer at the POE when asked what she was going to do during her " tourist" trips?

I dont see how that can be changed into a green card. In fact she will probably have her tourist visa revoked when the facts are known.

If that's the case then every person who has come from abroad to visit family in the US has committed fraud.

http://travel.state....types_1262.html defines a B-2 visa for the purposes of "pleasure or medical treatment"; I'm fairly certain her mother enjoyed coming here to visit her daughter and grandchild so, pleasure = check.

To further quote (emphasis mine):

Pleasure, Tourism, Medical Treatment - Visitor Visas (B-2) - As examples, if the purpose of your planned travel is recreational in nature, including tourism, vacation (holiday), amusement, visits with friends or relatives, rest, medical treatment, activities of a fraternal, social, or service nature, and participation by amateurs, who will receive no remuneration, in musical, sports and similar events or contests, then a visitor visa (B-2) would be the appropriate type of visa for your travel.

You may want to stop spreading misinformation.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had to smile when I read that. Her mom came to visit and help with the baby, and that makes her a nanny? I'm calling my mom right now to tell her that when she stayed with me for a couple weeks after I had my first baby, she was really being a nanny. I can imagine the look on her face now... :rofl:

Actually I'm not doing that. She might demand payment. :o

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

Timeline

The mother has done nothing wrong from the information we have been given and is perfectly eligible for AOS unless there is hidden info we are unaware of.

To the original poster, don't worry about the negative nelly's that get on here occasionally. Your Mom will be fine. Intent is rarely even asked about in an AOS for immediate relatives. Even when it is asked it isn't an issue.

Edited by jdh

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

There should seriously be a rule against crying fraud at everyone on this forum. You don't know the situation, and you are making up a rule that being a grandma is "working" as a nanny. It's just not true.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

without knowing what was said in order to obtain the B-2 visa and at entry - and what was asked - it is pointless to cry fraud. The woman may well have said she is going to visit her new grandchild and help out her daughter with her newborn. That is what grandmothers do.. I don't know a grandmother anywhere - whether born here or born overseas - who does not want to help her daughter with a newborn or assist with taking care of the baby -along with watching the child grow and develop - something that brings changes every day. This is not working as a nanny. This is loving your daughter and grandson and sharing as much of their lives as you legally can - and she left and returned several times within the year and was allowed entry. If the border guard was concerned that a new grandmother changing her grandsons diapers and giving him a bath and feeding him and holding him until he goes to sleep was really, secretively working as a nanny, he would have denied her entry. If they had concerns and suspicions about her frequent visits they would have denied her entry. You have no basis to assume she lied merely because she was allowed entry. Grandmothers are allowed to visit grandchildren without being suspected of nefarious purposes. Please do not make unwarranted assumptions when you do not have any facts upon which to base them.

If you already have B1/2 and at POE if you let the officer know you are here to help your son/daughter with newborn child most likely you would be refused the entry.

If you are applying at the consulate for B1/2 and during the purpose if you say you are planning to go to help your son/daughter with newborn, most likely visa would be denied.

These are the facts….there was nothing wrong with Ning posted… if we go by OP’s account all the grandparents miss their grandchildren.

If the OP wanted to secure the perm resident status for her mom right way then it could had been done and can still be done, but entering the US on B1/2 and then asking to do AOS (just coz missing grandchildren) is certainly an abuse of B1/2

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

There should seriously be a rule against crying fraud at everyone on this forum. You don't know the situation, and you are making up a rule that being a grandma is "working" as a nanny. It's just not true.

As per USCIS helping is not allowed… any job for which a USC can be hired and can be paid is illegal on B1/2.

Is helping with child considered as tourism, recreational activity, sightseeing activity?

Say for example if someone (USC) owns a restaurant or shop and has his brother or sister visiting him on B1/2 can they help him in his operation? Answer is no, if caught by immigration they can be charged for illegally working in US.

Timeline

Sometimes it seems like there's a contest to see who can yell "fraud" first.

I don't see why this is so unbelievable. It's easy to plan on coming to visit for a couple months, without ever considering staying. Then, when it's time to go, it's so hard that you realize you'd rather stay. Why is this difficult to believe? A two week visit is different than a two month visit. After two months, you can get "settled". Seems reasonable to me...

And, getting up during the night to change a diaper or feed a baby is hardly being a "nanny." If she swept the floor while she was there, does that make her a housekeeper? Are you seriously suggesting that any grandparent who enters the country to see a new grandchild, and during that stay occasionally cares for the baby, has committed a crime?

Edited by SterlingDandT

AOS

5/16/2012 - Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox at 1:33pm

5/21/2012 - Email/text notifications received at 4:50 p.m.

5/26/2012 - NOA hard copies received for I-130, I-485 and I-765

6/19/2012 - Biometrics completed.

7/02/2012 - Text/email/hard copy notification of interview.

7/30/2012 - EAD card production ordered.

8/02/2012 - Interview @ 2:00

8/02/2012 - Email notification of GC production at 5:30pm

8/07/2012 - Second GC production email

8/07/2012 - EAD received.

8/08/2012 - GC mailed.

8/09/2012 - Welcome letter and I-130 approval letter received.

8/10/2012 - Green card received. :)

As per USCIS helping is not allowed… any job for which a USC can be hired and can be paid is illegal on B1/2.

Is helping with child considered as tourism, recreational activity, sightseeing activity?

Say for example if someone (USC) owns a restaurant or shop and has his brother or sister visiting him on B1/2 can they help him in his operation? Answer is no, if caught by immigration they can be charged for illegally working in US.

Caring for a grandchild is not a job. Saying "as per USCIS" doesn't prove your point. Visiting grandchildren is visiting relatives, which is entirely proper under a B2 visa.

Your restaurant example makes no sense. Neither mother nor grandmother earn money caring for a child, unlike a restaurant. Caring for a grandchild is an intimate activity and an expression of love that grandparents in many cultures consider a familial obligation, not a job. Get off your high horse and answer the question as asked, not speculate about everyone else's nefarious motives.

Edited by grrrrreat

No, but visiting family is. You have no idea what was said when she entered the country or applied for the visa and you have no idea how much help she was actually providing. My roommate (American!) sometimes watches my kid while I go to the bathroom or takes out the trash when my hands are full. She does it for free. Thank God she hasn't read this forum, or she might start charging me for her nanny and janitor services.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Timeline

Please...

You are not trying to compare a grandmother spending time with her grand kids to a restaurant owner hiring an employee... :wow:

There isn't a judge in North America who would hold that garbage up. :rofl:

Your opinion of this being fraud and an abuse is irrelevant because the law is on the side of the daughter who wants to help her mother adjust status.

:yes:

Edited by jdh

July 2005 - met my awesome, hot, amazing love in Lousiana.
July 2006 - Married said love and moved to Canada.
June 2011 - Entered US to visit family, decided to stay.
Feb. 2012 - Sent paperwork to Chicago.

May 2012 - Received green card.

Day 0 - Package sent to Chicago Lockbox - 02/27/2012
Day 2 - UPS Tracking Confirmation - 02/29/2012
Day 4 - NOA Emails Received - 03/02/2012
Day 7 - All Checks Cashed - 03/05/2012
Day 11 - Hard Copy NOA's Received - 03/09/2012
Day 11 - Biometrics Appointment Received - 03/09/2012
--------- - Booked for - 04/03/2012 (day 36)
Day 35 - Early Biometricts Walk-in - 04/02/2012
Day 44 - Received Appointment Letter - 04/11/2012
Day 58 - EAD Approval Online - 04/25/2012
Day 63 - EAD in the mail - 04/30/2012
Day 65 - EAD in hand - 05/02/2012
Day 77 - AOS Interview - 05/14/2012
Day 77 - AOS Approved!
Day 84 - Green Card In Hand - 05/21/2012

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.