Rich and Lenochka

Any options for petitioner unable to attend embassy interview

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The love of my life is going to be attending her K-1 interview in Kiev on May 22. Great! But I will be unable to attend; I work in a hospital and we are moving all hospital operations into a new building on the very same day.

I tried to no avail to get the time off so I could attend the interview. I know that my Lenochka would appreciate my presence as a show of support and it might even help our chances of sailing through the interview and getting the visa.

Lenochka has come across all kinds of advice online regarding the interview process, including one gem where it is recommended for the absentee petitioner to phone the embassy prior to the interview date and explain to the consulate the situation as to why the petitioner will be unable to attend. It was also mentioned that it might be helpful for the absentee petitioner to email the consulate and make him/her self available by phone at the time of the interview.

These ideas were news to me. I know I am not the first who was unable to attend the interview, but I have provided a ton of evidence of our relationship which will be presented at the interview.

Anybody out there heard of anything I might consider doing as a show of support to the consulate on my beneficiaries behalf?

Thanks for you help!

Rich

RIch, Lenochka, and Roma

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Calling or emailing the consulate won't do much, I doubt they will add the record of it to the case file.

You can write a letter explaning that you wanted to attend but was unable to and giving your contact number "in case there are any questions" to the petitioner.

Notarize it and send it to your fiancee who will take it to the interview.

She can hand it to the interviewer with "my fiance intended to attend but was unable because of his work schedule" and a big smile.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The love of my life is going to be attending her K-1 interview in Kiev on May 22. Great! But I will be unable to attend; I work in a hospital and we are moving all hospital operations into a new building on the very same day.

I tried to no avail to get the time off so I could attend the interview. I know that my Lenochka would appreciate my presence as a show of support and it might even help our chances of sailing through the interview and getting the visa.

Lenochka has come across all kinds of advice online regarding the interview process, including one gem where it is recommended for the absentee petitioner to phone the embassy prior to the interview date and explain to the consulate the situation as to why the petitioner will be unable to attend. It was also mentioned that it might be helpful for the absentee petitioner to email the consulate and make him/her self available by phone at the time of the interview.

These ideas were news to me. I know I am not the first who was unable to attend the interview, but I have provided a ton of evidence of our relationship which will be presented at the interview.

Anybody out there heard of anything I might consider doing as a show of support to the consulate on my beneficiaries behalf?

Thanks for you help!

Rich

RIch, Lenochka, and Roma

Not much you can do, no. It is her interview anyway, even if there, they rarely ask the petitioner anything. Your presence is not required and I have never heard it suggested that the presence of the petitioner makes any difference in a decision at Kiev. Keep in mind the consulate will have NO negative impression about you not being there, by far most petitioners are NOT there.

I mean you can send a letter "Gee, I wish I were there" but what does that mean? It doesn't help anything material. The main purpose for being there is to support your fiancee.

They will not email you or call you. The interviews last about 1 minute, maybe 5 minutes for a grueling "3rd Degree" Ours was about 30 seconds. If they need anything from you they will issue her a 221g and you will provide it, later. They do not call and ask questions or email and wait for repsonse. It is "Wham Bam thank you Ma'am" and that's it. NEXT!

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Calling or emailing the consulate won't do much, I doubt they will add the record of it to the case file.

You can write a letter explaning that you wanted to attend but was unable to and giving your contact number "in case there are any questions" to the petitioner.

Notarize it and send it to your fiancee who will take it to the interview.

She can hand it to the interviewer with "my fiance intended to attend but was unable because of his work schedule" and a big smile.

Not sure about Warsaw but in Kiev the guy she will hand that to and smile at is a clerk that collects documents and turns them over to someone else. Since the letter is not on his checklist, it will go into the "other evidence" stack and he may or may not even collect it and it may or may not be read by anyone actually making a decision.

Couldn't hurt, but I do not imagine much usefulness. If you evidence of relationship is good...no sweat

Gary And Alla

Filed: Country: Poland
Timeline

Not sure about Warsaw but in Kiev the guy she will hand that to and smile at is a clerk that collects documents and turns them over to someone else. Since the letter is not on his checklist, it will go into the "other evidence" stack and he may or may not even collect it and it may or may not be read by anyone actually making a decision.

Couldn't hurt, but I do not imagine much usefulness. If you evidence of relationship is good...no sweat

So, you don't talk to the CO at all in Kiev?

I attended my wife's (then fiancee's) K1 interview in Warsaw. It was really a little bit by chance since I had a trip to Poland planned anyway and the consulate accomodated my request (by email) for an earlier than original interview date becuese of that.

We both talked to the CO although I did most talking and it took maybe 5-7 minutes. I guess it entirely depends on the CO you get. Ours seemed to be interested in our whole story, maybe because we included a picture when we're both 5 years old (from the kindergarten where we first met) and he came accross it. Anyway, I fully agree that K1 interviews (other than in high fraud countries) are a breeze.

I would still send that letter to your fiancee. It may be not looked at at all, but may give HER more assurance and confidence.

Timeline

I wasn't able to attend Tanya's interview. It wasn't a problem and she sailed right through. good.gif

K-1 / K-2 Timeline:
02/02/2010 - Sent I-129F
02/04/2010 - NOA1
05/06/2010 - NOA2
07/13/2010 - Consulate Interview - APPROVED
07/17/2010 - POE (JFK)

07/30/2010 - MARRIED!

AOS-EAD Timeline:
08/29/2010 - AOS-EAD sent
09/08/2010 - NOA1
09/17/2010 - Biometrics
11/06/2010 - EAD card received
11/08/2010 - AOS interview - GC's APPROVED
11/19/2010 - Green Cards Arrived

After two amazing years together....

ROC Timeline:
08/10/2012 - ROC sent
08/14/2012 - NOA1
08/27/2012 - Biometrics

05/01/2013 - ROC - APPROVED

05/06/2013 - Green Cards Arrived

Citizenship:

08/31/2013 - N-400 sent

09/04/2013 - NOA1

09/27/2013 - Biometrics

10/08/2013 - In-Line

11/13/2013 - Interview

12/13/2013 - Oath -- Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

So, you don't talk to the CO at all in Kiev?

I attended my wife's (then fiancee's) K1 interview in Warsaw. It was really a little bit by chance since I had a trip to Poland planned anyway and the consulate accomodated my request (by email) for an earlier than original interview date becuese of that.

We both talked to the CO although I did most talking and it took maybe 5-7 minutes. I guess it entirely depends on the CO you get. Ours seemed to be interested in our whole story, maybe because we included a picture when we're both 5 years old (from the kindergarten where we first met) and he came accross it. Anyway, I fully agree that K1 interviews (other than in high fraud countries) are a breeze.

I would still send that letter to your fiancee. It may be not looked at at all, but may give HER more assurance and confidence.

You do not talk to a CO until the actual interview and it is not the guy taking the documents. They may or may not allow the petitioner to walk up to the window, seems about 50/50. Even if they do, they rarely speak to the petitioner. If you do not go to the window you sit just a few feet away.

Our interview amounted to them calling her name, we walked to the window, the guy said "You are approved, here are your original documents. Take this card to the FedEx window to arrange delivery of your passport. Any questions?" :o:o "um, no, bye"

Gary And Alla

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

If she can not prove you have a legitimate relationship on her own,,,,,then maybe you need to work on the relationship.

I didn't attend my wife's interview and she was eventually approved.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

I didn't attend the visa interview with my Lena. We never even discussed it. We both knew that she would be asked questions and it was up to me to insure that the proper documents were there. We have been married for almost 6 1/2 years now so I guess my presence at the interview was not necessary. Use your time better to plan for her arrival. You will want to take time off from work when she arrives. :thumbs:

You are heading into the home stretch, so prepare you home for her and get ready for the best part of all this, the reunion! :dance:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Our interview amounted to them calling her name, we walked to the window, the guy said "You are approved, here are your original documents. Take this card to the FedEx window to arrange delivery of your passport. Any questions?" :o:o "um, no, bye"

Reinforces the thought that most visa decisions are made prior to the interview.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

You won't be the first.... won't be the last.

Give her a big thumbs up and let her be a big girl.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Erased my answer because it's not actually relevant to this thread...sorry bout that! :blush:

Edited by Amy_and_Victor

Our timlines K1 visa - Citizenship (06.28.2011 - 08.01.2016)

K1 Visa Timeline (06.28.2011 - 04.07.2012)

• 06-28-2011: I-129F sent to Dallas
  • 07-05-2011: NOA1 (CSC)
  • 01-05-2012: NOA2 (184 days since NOA1)
  • 01-13-2012: NVC passed
  • 01-19-2012: Embassy received our case
  • 02-14-2012: Interview PASSED! :D K-1 Visa Approved! :D
  • 03-08-2012: POE
  • 04-07-2012: Wedding!

AOS/EAD Timeline (04.26.2012 - 12.13.2012)

• 04-26-2012: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago Lockbox
  • 05-02-2012: NOA1 (both I-485 and I-765)
  • 05-23-2012: Biometrics taken
  • 07-02-2012: Employment Authorization Issued (07-09-2012 - received in the mail)
  • 12-03-2012: Made Service Request for I-485, because case is beyond processing time
  • 12-07-2012: I-485 APPROVED! 219 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 12-13-2012: GreenCard in the mailbox, done with AOS!

Lifting of conditions Timeline (09.04.2014 - 01.14.2015)

• 09-04-2014: I-751 sent to CSC
  • 09-08-2014: NOA1
  • 11-10-2014: Biometrics taken
  • 01-07-2015: Approved! Only 122 days since NOA1. No interview/RFE
  • 01-14-2015: GreenCard in the mailbox

Citizenship Timeline (09.03.2015 - 01.08.2016)

- 09-03-2015: N-400 sent to Phoenix

- 09-10-2015: NOA1

- 10-08-2015: Biometrics taken

- 10-28-2015: Case is in line for an interview

- 11-02-2015: Letter with Naturalization Interview Appointment

- 12-07-2015: Interview passed

- 01-08-2016: Naturalization Oath Ceremony, I'm a US citizen now!

tTM3p3.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
Anyway, I fully agree that K1 interviews (other than in high fraud countries) are a breeze.
Grrrr, man.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.