MAO36

You know you're Husband is African when.......

106 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You learn sumthin' new every day, lol. I don't think Ben knows any Sunday's or Monday's (actual PEOPLE I mean) lolol. That's a new one for me! Maybe it's a Nigerian thing?? :blink::help:

It could very well be a Nigerian thing, my oldest brother in law's name is Sunday, lol.

TracyJo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Uganda
Timeline

I know a Ugandan who goes by Sunday, but from what I understand, his given name is Sidney.

Joy (& Aaron, who doesn't read/post here yet)

Dec. 27, 2010: First met each other in Entebbe, Uganda while I was visiting my friend/his cousin (12/27/10 - 1/10/11) (visited again Jul. 2-9, 2011 and Dec. 24, 2011 - Jan. 9, 2012; engaged 1/7/12)

K-1

Feb. 18, 2012: I-129F sent (delivered 2/21 per USPS & USCIS; NOA1 notice date 2/23/12; check cashed/email/text 2/24)

Aug. 9, 2012: NOA2!!! [NOA1 +168 days] (reached NVC 8/17, left NVC 8/20; @embassy 8/24; embassy confirmed receipt 9/5)

Oct. 24 - Nov. 8, 2012: I visited again (Nairobi: medical 10/31; interview 11/5 [NOA1 +256 days]; result--APPROVED!!!!!!!)

Nov. 15, 2012: Visa in hand (was ready for retrieval 11/12/12)

Nov. 20, 2012: POE, Boston!!! (legal marriage 12/12/12; family/friends wedding ceremony 1/12/13) (276 days)

AOS/EAD/AP

Feb. 4, 2013: AOS packet sent (delivered 2/6, NOA1 text/email & check cashed 2/11 midnight)

Feb. 11, 2013: NOA1 notice date for I-485, EAD, AP (I-485/EAD NOA1 hard copies & biometrics appt letter arrived 2/16, badly mangled AP NOA1 arrived 2/27; biometrics done 3/4/13)

Apr. 3, 2013: EAD & AP approved (received card 4/11)

Aug. 16, 2013: I-485 approved & green card production ordered!!!! (card arrived 8/26/13) (193 days)

ROC

2015 sometime? I've slept since then.

Naturalization

Dec. 20, 2019: N-400 submitted online (Boston, MA field office)

Jan. 9, 2020: Biometrics

Feb. 4, 2020: updated wait time = 4 months (estimated case completion June 2020)

Aug. 7, 2020: interview scheduled (!), but no idea when

Sept. 16, 2020: interview, Boston (approved)

Sept. 24, 2020: oath ceremony, Boston---DONE!!! (279 days from submission)

230Hm5.pngxrcBm5.png

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

These posts are hilarious, but ohhhhh so true. :rofl::rofl:

You know your husband is african when he adds peppers to everything he cooks and asks if he can bring his peppers to the restaurant you are going to take him to (once he gets here), but there are no doubts left when you find a humongous jar of crushed peppers in your luggage when you arrive home and he regularly asks you if you are using them.

OMG about the bed sheets! I have pics of my husband using our bedsheets as a head wrap. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I didn't get it until now.

I had already figured out the bucket thing and informed him he would find no buckets at our home when he arrives and let him know that I definately did not need to be taught how to wash our clothes by hand when he gets here. :bonk:

Thanks for the warning about the pots......hmmmm. I will definately go shopping for his own "special set of pans" when he arrives. (L) (L) (L)

I will also try the pork comment for left overs, but not sure if it will work :blink:

Driving........yeah I've been nervous about that and haven't figured that one out yet.

It took me about a year to work through the brother/uncle thing, but now I know them all so he can't confuse me anymore. :lol:

He has been warned about the air conditioning and I can't wait to roll over and see him in his sweat pants and sweat shirt covered in 3 blankets!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

USCIS

Sent I-130 Petition - 11-23-11

NOA1 - 11-25-11

Sent K-3 Petition - 12-13-11

NOA1 - 12-14-11

RFE for I-130 - 6-4-12

Submitted RFE Info - 8-23-12

Request to Withdraw K-3 Sent - 8-25-12

NOA2 I-130 APPROVED - 8-27-12

NOA2 K-3 APPROVED - 8-27-12

I-797C received in the mail for I-130 ad K-3 - 8-31-12

I-130 was approved 254 days from NOA1 date

NVC

NVC Received/Email Notification - 9-5-12

NVC Case # - 9-5-12

Emailed DS-3032 - 9-6-12

Paid I-864 Fee - 9-6-2012

I-864 PAID - 9-10-12

Sent I-864 - 9-29-12

I-864 accepted - 10-11-12

Sent IV Packet - 9-29-12

RFE for DS230 - 10-11-12

Response to RFE received - 10-15-12

IV Packet accepted

Paid IV bill - 9-10-12

IV bill PAID - 9-20-12

Case Complete

???

USCIS request case be returned to them - 10-18-12

NVC reports case sent back on - 10-22-12

The solution to that with me is to tell him it is pork. That way I can throw it out, even the "pork" wings.

Pork wings!!! lmao

This thread is great. Thanks! Now I know what I'm getting myself into, lol

USCIS: 307 days from NOA1 to NOA2 (no RFE's)

15JUN2012 USC married in Côte d'Ivoire
13AUG2012 I-130 sent by FedEx to Chicago
15AUG2012 I-130 packet delivered to mailroom, per FedEx.com
18AUG2012 NOA1, rcvd SMS & email saying case is routed to Vermont Service Center, later rcvd by snail mail
21AUG2012 the date on next I-797C received only by snail mail, says petition transferred to Lee's Summit,MO
28AUG2012 "touch" (website shows case was updated)
03OCT2012 the date casefile was sent to Atlanta, per phone call with ISO
01FEB2013 infopass at Atlanta, casefile has not even been assigned to anyone yet!

21JUN2013 NOA2, email received! USCIS website is updated! No SMS was received.

Letter rcvd later by snail mail from NBC, Lee's Summit, MO; however, I know file was adjudicated in Atlanta.

NVC:

11JUL2013 the date NVC says they received our file

19JUL2013 called and got Case # and IIN #, gave email addresses

22JUL2013 received DS-3032 and AOS invoice by email, mailed DS-3032

• 2 weeks later...

You know your husband is an African when every male we meet is his "cousin brother". Yet, he's rarely related to any of them.

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

2/24/16- Husband received 10 year green card

Starting the process over again for our daughter (IR2):

1/13/16 NOA1 from Potomac Service Center

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Received NVC Case and Invoice Numbers

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/22/16 Invoice for AOS Received. Paid AOS Fee

4/25/16 AOS Fee shows as PAID

4/27/16 Invoice for IV Received. Paid IV Fee

4/29/16 IV Fee Shows as PAID

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/6/16 Sent AOS and IV packages

5/9/16 AOS and IV packages received by NVC

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

8/8/16 Received Interview Date

9/20/16 Interview Date

I mentioned having a dog as a pet once to my husband and he said he would have to find a new place to live. Then he asked me if he could get some chickens if I got a dog. Haha

2013 began CR1 process

Fast forward to:

2/24/16- Husband received 10 year green card

Starting the process over again for our daughter (IR2):

1/13/16 NOA1 from Potomac Service Center

4/5/16 NOA2!

4/7/16 Case sent to NVC

4/22/16 Received NVC Case and Invoice Numbers

4/22/16 Submitted DS-261

4/22/16 Invoice for AOS Received. Paid AOS Fee

4/25/16 AOS Fee shows as PAID

4/27/16 Invoice for IV Received. Paid IV Fee

4/29/16 IV Fee Shows as PAID

4/29/16 Submitted DS-260

5/6/16 Sent AOS and IV packages

5/9/16 AOS and IV packages received by NVC

5/9/16 Scan Date

6/10/16 Case Complete

8/8/16 Received Interview Date

9/20/16 Interview Date

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

I mentioned having a dog as a pet once to my husband and he said he would have to find a new place to live. Then he asked me if he could get some chickens if I got a dog. Haha

Lol, in some countries, they find it 'really' hard to believe that we even allow dogs in our homes :wow::blink: They simply do not understand that. In my house, my dog is the almighty :pop: King, lol. It was hard for me in Kenya...I'd seen quite a few dogs here and there, fending for food, etc., and they usually were always hanging around the children :luv: because I would imagine they'd get the most attention from the kids. I wanted so badly to go get a huge bag of dog food and just dump it on the ground for them. :(

Men are like stars ~ there are a million of them, but only ONE can make your dreams come true. I found my STAR...

event.png

~K E N Y A~

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You know your husband is African: When he calls a chicken thigh (the lap) and a chicken with (the hand)

When he cleans the floor with a rag instead of using the mop

Naturalization

7/14 Mailed Packet

7/19 NOA

8/14 Biometrics

8/17 In line for Interview

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

My husband has a distaste for all things Halloween. I have seen him shopping and avoiding the display cases with spider webs and skulls and all that.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My husband has a distaste for all things Halloween. I have seen him shopping and avoiding the display cases with spider webs and skulls and all that.

Yes many folks from differnt lands view Holloween as demonic which it is. It is cloaked in candies and kids but with a fresh eye it is very despicable to many.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You know your husband is african when you have to invest in a "New set up POTS" cuz he insists on cooking his rice on the highest temperature, "blow torch heat" and will not remove it until the bottom of the pot is burnt to a crisp!!!:rofl: :rofl:

That is hilarious!!! :rofl:

• 3 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Guinea
Timeline

I miss this thread! Especially because I can now contribute....and it prepared me for the "dead deer by the side of the road" discussion.

"But honey, I know if it is fresh when I look at the blood. Let's take it home, I can cook this up easily"

Anyway, here's my contribution:

You know your husband is african when:

- It doesn't matter if the sneakers are size 9.5 or 11.5. If they are the right color, they will magically transform to the size of your feet.

- You can't throw anything away. Even that moldy, dirty, old wall-to-wall carpet "is perfect to be sent home to Africa, there's nothing wrong with it". When advised that we don't have any room to keep it, the answer is naturally "I'll keep it in my car"

- Sneakers have to be the same color as your shirt and hat to form an ensemble.

- He absolutely can't believe why americans chose to live in "cardboard houses" (drywall)

- You never know what you find under the pillow

- Your pampered purebred indoor cats are expected to earn their keep (I insist they do by getting rid of all those creepy crawling insects that get lost in our place)

Anyway, we have only started our second month together here in the US, and it's been both an adventure and a journey. He amazes me every day, and some of his viewpoints challenge my way of thinking.

Would love to hear more contributions and experiences of those of us with african husbands :thumbs:

• 6 months later...
Filed: Country: Uganda
Timeline

You know your husband is African when he mixes ALL of his food together on one plate, no matter what cuisine it may be, and then tries to tell you that eating it this way gives you all the flavors. (even when it is soup, he will pour it allllllll over all the other dry foods) smile.png

You know your husband is African when all his "brothers and cousins" walk into your house at 7:30 in the morning and you are still asleep, and he greets them as if it is no problem. (all the freakin time!) Or they come over at three in the morning and ask you both to go out to the club!!! Whaaaaaaaaat? That is the time the clubs CLOSE in Texas!

You know your husband is African when he invites friends and family on your honeymoon, and your in-laws stay in the hotel room right next to yours the night of the wedding. wink.png And while opening gifts he gives them to his sisters and parents...that was hard to accept. Haha

You know your husband is African when he explains mind boggling things to you in a completely calm voice. ( There is this beautiful black and white bird very common in Uganda that also happens to be extremely territorial. I would say the majority of houses, unless they are rich families', are roofed with sheets of tin. So one morning we are lying in bed and I heard this hammering noise. I asked him what the hell the neighbor was doing hammering things on the roof at dawn, and he said very calmly, "Oh Ammie, that is a bird. He is killing himself." He then told me they do it because they see their reflection and think it is a threat to their territory. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! At first I was so sad for the dumb birdie, but after I couldn't stop laughing from the way he told me. Now it is a passing joke, "Oh honey, he is killing himself.") Heheheheeeee

You know your husband is African when he says he's going into town and will be back in an hour, and then you freak out and feel like calling the national guard to go looking for his dead body because it is actually five hours later and no sign or contact with him. When he gets home he tells you, "Honey, you shouldn't worry so much. I will be fine." Wowwwwww Do your husbands also have no sense of time or feel obligated to call and tell you everything is okay but they are running late?!?!?!?!?

You know your husband is African when he will eat ice cream only when it is super cold and solid, and very hot out, yet he won't even look at cheese or you when you are eating it! Or any other dairy products!!!

You know your husband is African when all hell is breaking loose, you are out of gas, it is hot, you are lost, and don't even have a charged cell phone, and he keeps a smile on his face and a positive attitude. That one I need to adopt. To this day I have never seen him get upset. He is always so happy no matter what is going on. Gotta love those beautiful African smiles and laughs. <3

Edited by CrammyFamily

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.