one...two...tree

Health care increasingly out of reach for millions of Americans

140 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Tens of millions of adults under age 65 – both those with insurance and those without – saw their access to health care worsen dramatically over the past decade, according to a study abstract released Monday.

The findings suggest that more privately insured Americans are delaying treatment because of rising out-of-pocket costs, while safety-net programs for the poor and uninsured are failing to keep up with demand for care, say Urban Institute researchers who wrote the report.

Overall, the study published in the journal Health Affairs found that one in five American adults under 65 had an "unmet medical need" because of costs in 2010, compared with one in eight in 2000. They also had a harder time accessing dental care, according to the analysis based on data from annual federal surveys of adults.

"For decades, Americans have been facing costs rising well above wage levels," said Lynn Quincy, senior policy analyst for Consumers Union, a nonpartisan group. "These are real families. . . . It's very concerning."

The study underscores what's at stake in the law's coverage expansion: People with private or public health insurance have significantly better access to care than the uninsured. If the law is overturned or scaled back, "we would be likely to see further deterioration in access to care for all adults – uninsured and insured alike," it concludes.

The percent of adults with private insurance who reported an "unmet medical need" doubled to 10 percent from 2000 to 2010, while those who delayed seeking care because of cost rose from 4 percent to 7 percent in the same period, according to the study.

Genevieve Kenney, lead author and senior fellow at the Urban Institute, speculated that higher cost sharing and deductibles that shift more of the cost onto individuals could be driving those changes.

Several studies have found that privately insured Americans are spending a higher proportion of their income on health services, said Peter Cunningham, senior fellow at the nonpartisan Center for Studying Health System Change.

One analysis by the consulting firm Milliman showed health costs for an American family of four have more than doubled since 2002.

"As employers shift more costs onto workers, that is something we are going to continue to see," Cunningham said.

For insured Americans, a shortage of doctors in some parts of the country was a factor, but not as important as cost, he said.

An increasing number of consumers are also facing delays finding a primary care doctor when they are sick because physicians leave less room on their schedules for walk-ins, said Arthur Kellermann, director of the research firm RAND Health. To make more money, physicians prefer to fill their days with quick turnaround type patients, such as those with chronic illnesses that need regular monitoring, he said.

Poor and uninsured adults had greater difficulties not just with health care costs, but finding doctors who would see them.

About one-third of 41 million uninsured adults delayed getting care because of costs in 2010, compared with 25 percent in 2000, the study found. Nearly half the uninsured said they had an unmet medical need in 2010, up from 33 percent in 2000.

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchy...r#storylink=cpy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Due to Obamacare the premiums for Rice Graduate students increased 20% this year and their letter seems proud that it is ONLY a 20% increase. Hopefully SCOTUS will kill Obamacare soon.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Interesting comment seeing that the time period evaluated is 2000-2010. So I guess that costs have been steadily rising for a decade in mere anticipation of the eventual election of Obama and the mere anticipation that Obamacare would become law in 2010. Wow.

The time period for the increase in our son's coverage is this year. Our regular coverage has increased more than 50% since I first added Alla and the boys, even though now it covers one less person, ALL since 2010

Overall since Obamacare has passed insurance rates are up 30% Obamacare has NOT reduced insurance rates and has no provision which would.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

The time period for the increase in our son's coverage is this year. Our regular coverage has increased more than 50% since I first added Alla and the boys, even though now it covers one less person, ALL since 2010

Overall since Obamacare has passed insurance rates are up 30% Obamacare has NOT reduced insurance rates and has no provision which would.

Ya, we need a single payer system.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Interesting comment seeing that the time period evaluated is 2000-2010. So I guess that costs have been steadily rising for a decade in mere anticipation of the eventual election of Obama and the mere anticipation that Obamacare would become law in 2010. Wow.

Ya, seriously, some people would have us believe that Obama somehow invented health insurance inflation. Look at the states, health insurance premiums have been rising steadily since the 1950s. Republicans can complain about it all they want, but they didn't do anything to health the situation, unless you count making prescription meds more obtainable by seniors that is. Thanks again ex president Bush.

Edited by InKorea

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

The source of the rising cost of health care is so plain to see, that most can't see it originates with govt meddling. But then, the obvious is often ignored where there's an agenda.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Timeline

The source of the rising cost of health care is so plain to see, that most can't see it originates with govt meddling. But then, the obvious is often ignored where there's an agenda.

The main source of the increase, which is no secret, is the requirement of Obamacare (already in affect) to extend coverage to pre-existing conditions AND cover "children" up to age 26. Children? 26?

Any time you MANDATE that kind of requirement onto a company in business to make a PROFIT (also not a secret) the results are entirely predictable. The expectation of anything else was never anything but unreasonable.

But here was the deal with Obamacare..."YOU (insurance companies) MUST provide this coverage, but WE (government) are going to FORCE everyone to buy your service and you will make more money" Then the insurance lobbyists went along with it and the government claimed to have "done something" for you. That is it in a nutshell, the rest is just smoke and mirrors.

Since the mandate to provide the coverage went into affect already, but the mandate to BUY the insurance does not go into affect for two more years...guess what? The ONLY thing surprising is that anyone thought anything else would happen. In what state has mandatory AUTO insurance reduced rates? uh-huh, you got that right. :lol: Forcing people to buy something will not make it cheaper.

It all falls apart in June when the Supreme Court rules.

IF there is going to be government health care, the ONLY way it will work is single payer.

Gary And Alla

and it has to be at the State level and not Federal.

Why?

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

Because the Feds will screw it up, as they do with a good deal of the agencies they run.

Also, running things at the State level allows for more local flexibility and reduces the chances of Washington partisan interference.

Don't interrupt me when I'm talking to myself

2011-11-15.garfield.png

Because the Feds will screw it up, as they do with a good deal of the agencies they run.

Also, running things at the State level allows for more local flexibility and reduces the chances of Washington partisan interference.

OK.

How do you propose that there be equitable care across the nation then? Or does that matter?

And you seriously think that directives made at the Federal level will make a real-life difference?

It does with Medicare. Medicare covers the same services all across the country.