Jen&Allen

Getting Started on K-1 in June

17 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Scotland
Timeline

Its a long story, but they all are. I am from the states and she lives in Scotland (UK). We will be filing for the K-1 middle of June when my divorce is final. We met online and she has been here twice for 3 months each time on VWP. I have not been there yet but I am hoping to go there in October for her cousins wedding. Any hints, tips, good lucks I would be grateful for.

Distance never separates two hearts that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But whenever I start feeling sad, because I miss you, I remind myself how lucky I am to have someone so special to miss.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Make sure you visit the K-1 section of this website and read the posts there http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/80-k-1-fiancee-visa-process-procedures/

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Just any hints I suppose. We are just nervous as everyone is when starting this process. So at this point we will follow the guides and flowcharts and hope for the best.

Distance never separates two hearts that really care, for our memories span the miles and in seconds we are there. But whenever I start feeling sad, because I miss you, I remind myself how lucky I am to have someone so special to miss.

Just any hints I suppose. We are just nervous as everyone is when starting this process. So at this point we will follow the guides and flowcharts and hope for the best.

That's the best thing to do. It seems overwhelming at first, but all you can do is educate yourself. Look through the guides, the flowchart, the example forms. Print them out and fill them out (for practice) and ask any questions you have here so that when it's time to file, you're good to go! :)

Filed: Timeline

That's the best thing to do. It seems overwhelming at first, but all you can do is educate yourself. Look through the guides, the flowchart, the example forms. Print them out and fill them out (for practice) and ask any questions you have here so that when it's time to file, you're good to go! :)

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

You started good because you found this site B-) Welcome to VJ!!!!

Timeline

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

You started good because you found this site B-) Welcome to VJ!!!!

I agree! This site has given me more info then the lawyer I saw.

I agree! This site has given me more info then the lawyer I saw.

Yes! You'll see many people here wish they'd found this site before hiring a lawyer. So you're already ahead of the game. :lol:

Any hints, tips, good lucks I would be grateful for.

Good luck!

Tips:

Good picture of the whole process http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow

Guides http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide

Tips http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1tips

Some graphs showing averages of processing http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1historical

You can get held up at any step of the way. Theses are averages of VJ people.

UK forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/99-united-kingdom/

You can click on timelines of people still not there yet (with the visa) and get a sense of how long they've been at it.

Sample forms filled out http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples

Read, read, read and don't make any plans for a wedding until you have a visa.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Its a long story, but they all are. I am from the states and she lives in Scotland (UK). We will be filing for the K-1 middle of June when my divorce is final. We met online and she has been here twice for 3 months each time on VWP. I have not been there yet but I am hoping to go there in October for her cousins wedding. Any hints, tips, good lucks I would be grateful for.

Here is a tip... be sure your divorce is final including any waiting period required by your State... BEFORE you file 129F

Timeline

Here is a tip... be sure your divorce is final including any waiting period required by your State... BEFORE you file 129F

This is the first time that I have heard of waiting for the "waiting period" to be over. In Wisconsin that is 6 months! Not to be rude but is there a second opinion on this? Thanks again!

This is the first time that I have heard of waiting for the "waiting period" to be over. In Wisconsin that is 6 months! Not to be rude but is there a second opinion on this? Thanks again!

That's the law in Wisconsin. http://county.milwaukee.gov/GettingMarried22000.htm

If the bride or groom was previously married, a filed copy of the final judgment of divorce, legal annulment, or certified death certificate must be shown at the time of application. In Wisconsin it is unlawful for any person to marry until six (6) months after the date of the granting of a judgment of divorce, regardless of where the divorce was granted.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Be sure that you dont ask her to marry you until AFTER the divorce is final :yes:

08/01/12-Married08/17/12-Applied for Social Security Card09/23/12-Husband received his Social Security card!09/27/12-Filed AOS09/28/12-AOS package received10/01/12-Text message from USCIS10/03/12-Check cashed10/09/12-NOA1 for I485,I765,I131 AND Biometrics Appointment Letter10/24/12-Biometrics Appointment12/11/12-EAD and AP Approved-75 days12/14/12-EAD/AP Card Production ordered12/21/12-EAD/AP Card came in the mail06/22/13-Green Card Approved06/27/13-Greed Card Production Ordered06/29/13-Green Card came in the mail<p>

04/09/15-Mailed ROC

04/10/2015-Package received

04/14/2015-Check cashed

06/02/2015-Called Service Center (still no NOA1) Service request found out wrong address on paperwork! :(

06/03/2015-Called to get address updated Ar11 online add change didnt work-got infopass for June 10th

06/10/2015-Went to info pass appt. Hubby got a 1yr. Extension stamp in his passport and biometrics done

08/12/2015-ROC Approved. Got letter in the mail.

08/29/2015-received new card in the mail.

Timeline

Yeah that I knew and it is a crumby law too but as far as filing or mailing in the I-129 before that waiting period is up. I will have the final divorce decree(lol not sure of the spelling)before the waiting period starts. Seeing as it does not say that I can not get engaged within 6 months there should be no problem?? Oh dear this is all very interesting.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.