PrincessHalo

financial support / poverty level ?

34 posts in this topic

i find it admirable that Jay-Kay has the patience to post this. kudos.

you need 3x the assets to make up for shortfall.

having money sitting in a bankaccount abroad is not particularly helpful...

Edited by Mike Z

21/2 - received NOA in mail for all 4 (130/485/765/131)

23/3 - biometrics scheduled -> did "early" walk-in on 21 March

06/4 - received email update, interview scheduled for 7th May

27/4 - received EAD

08/5 - email: approval one day after interview (7th May)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i find it admirable that Jay-Kay has the patience to post this. kudos.

you need 3x the assets to make up for shortfall.

having money sitting in a bankaccount abroad is not particularly helpful...

Not quite true, depends on how much money it is. It is the beneficiary obligation to show they will not become public charge. Usually, they have no money, so it is done through petitioner 134, however, the 134 instructions state the beneficiary can indeed present their own cash in the form of a bond for consideration.

Edited by L+T

Filed: Timeline

My friend is an immigrant, and we were taking about her spouse visa, she is waiting on two years! because of the poverty requirement, she does not meet this and her lawyer said they need a co-signer to meet the $24000. I thought the poverty level was lower than this?

I am planning a trip to meet my love so we can meet and start the process for fiancee visa. But I dont meet this $24000 either. My friend said her lawyer told her she needs a co-signer, but I thought I read somewhere that bank statements and other sources of documentation count to add to your financial support? What if he has funds in his bank account (overseas) he plans to bring with him? does his statement count?

does the poverty level change for this year? i find different amounts, how do i know whats the right one?

I am US born from many generations. And as far as the poverty line goes, I live alone in my own apartment, work full time and attend college. Never used foodstamps or other government assisted support. I dont feel that I am in poverty! I am comfortable in life :)

Please tell me your experiences on this. thank youuuu

$23,862 is for 3 household. Let say if you were a single mom w/one child petitioning a fiancé....or fiancé with one child. Or one of your parents living in your house and supporting him/her...then you should make $23,862.

But if not just count yourself and your fiancé for the household member.($18,912)

Also, if you still don't make it....just deduct how much is short. Less say if you’re short of $1000 to make the poverty guidelines. Then x5 that $1000 x 5= $ $5000....you should have at least $5000 in your savings account then you don't need any co-sponsor.

here's a website...how the USCIS calculated it!!! goodluck

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86991.pdf

The longer it takes to happen the more you'll appreciate it when it does!

That would depend on which consulate they would interview at. Some consulates, such as Manila for instance, do not always accept a co-sponsor. But yes, most consulates will allow you to have a co-sponsor if you do not meet the income requirement.

this statement is not correct. USEM in manila does accept co-sponsor!!! i should know because most people i know from manila uses co sponsor to file petition for their relatives, spouse, fiance and child...so i'm not sure where your getting your info.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

If you're under the poverty line, they will accept a co-sponsor

who makes above the poverty line :thumbs:

$18,912 isn't too scary.

You just need to find a job paying $9.85 per hour @ 40 hours per week :thumbs:

haha i make $10.10 and with minus taxes and evertything i came out $150 short :angry: finding a cosponsor will not be easy as it sounds!!!

10/2011 - met online
06/2012 - met in person & engaged smile.png
08/2012 - Mailed I-129F
08/30/12 - NOA1
04/18/13 - NOA2

07/02/13 - Interview (Denied "not convinced" New Delhi)

Going to try again in his home country

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iraq
Timeline

anyways if i transfer a few thousand to my bank (from his), that should make us in the clear to proceed??

or will they still want a cosigner only and not care about the bank? (i know its hard to predict what THEY want always :P )

have people been successful with bank statements and with out cosigner, thats my question. :)

Edited by PrincessHalo

10/2011 - met online
06/2012 - met in person & engaged smile.png
08/2012 - Mailed I-129F
08/30/12 - NOA1
04/18/13 - NOA2

07/02/13 - Interview (Denied "not convinced" New Delhi)

Going to try again in his home country

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

anyways if i transfer a few thousand to my bank (from his), that should make us in the clear to proceed??

or will they still want a cosigner only and not care about the bank? (i know its hard to predict what THEY want always :P )

have people been successful with bank statements and with out cosigner, thats my question. :)

Might be a concern to the embassy why such an amount suddenly transferred hands, or if that amount is in fact yours "for good". They also might not care all that much. I have read of one person who self sponsored however advising to expect that the embassy(or USCIS) will accept about anything, is wrong advise - hence a bank statement/transcript. Which country is your fiance from?

K1 process, October 2010 > POE, July 2011

I-129F approved in 180 days from NOA1 date. (195 days from filing to NOA2 in hand)

Interview took 224 days from I-129F NOA1 date. (241 days from filing petition until visa in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until POE: 285 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

AOS process, December 2011 > July 2012

EAD/AP Approval took 51 days from NOA1 date to email update. (77 days from filing until EAD/AP in hand)

AOS Approval took 206 days from NOA1 date to email update. (231 days from filing until greencard in hand)

From filing I-129F petition until greencard in hand: 655 days

Click timeline or "about me" for all details.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Also, if you still don't make it....just deduct how much is short. Less say if you’re short of $1000 to make the poverty guidelines. Then x5 that $1000 x 5= $ $5000....you should have at least $5000 in your savings account then you don't need any co-sponsor.

Does not need to be 5 times. It is 3 times for a spouse, so they use the 3 times with a fiance(e) visa affidavit as well, which I already stated in an earlier post in this thread.

this statement is not correct. USEM in manila does accept co-sponsor!!! i should know because most people i know from manila uses co sponsor to file petition for their relatives, spouse, fiance and child...so i'm not sure where your getting your info.

Because Manila has rejected the use of co-sponsors before. That is where I am getting my info. You can search on VJ to find many posts and references to it. And if you read what I actually stated, "do not always accept a co-sponsor", you will see I did not say never. They are more likely to allow a co-sponsor if the petitioner has the potential to earn enough in the near future and the co-sponsor is a close relative.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

haha i make $10.10 and with minus taxes and evertything i came out $150 short :angry: finding a cosponsor will not be easy as it sounds!!!

Which consulate? What country is your fiance from? If you are only $150 short they may accept what your fiance has in the bank, if he has a good amount of savings. They would be suspicious of a lump of cash suddenly appearing in your bank account right before you needed to file the affidavit.

Also, since it is only $150 difference, you only need at least $450 to make it 3 times the shortcoming. Is it possible to save some in an account over a few months until you have enough? I am not sure when exactly you will be needing the I-134. You have no timeline filled in.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Use your income before they take out taxes. ie, gross income, not after tax.

Timeline

Use your income before they take out taxes. ie, gross income, not after tax.

True enough.

The amount that is on line 22 of your 1040 is total income, and not your adjusted gross income after taxes are deducted. The line that reads, 'Wages, Tips, other compensation' on your W-2 is your gross income. That is what you use.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I always thought the $18,912 was what you were supposed

to make Before taxes were taken out...

I could be wrong though.

I-130

2011-08-20 Posted

2011-08-31 NOA1

2011-09-03 Touch

2011-11-18 Sent Expedite Request to USCIS

2011-12-09 Response Received for Exepedite Request

"Wait your turn" in a nutshell

2011-12-02 Sent Expedite Request to US Representative Ed Royce

2012-01-27 Sent Expedite Request to Immigration Ombudsman

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Barbara Boxer

2012-02-02 Sent Expedite Request to Senator Dianne Feinstein

2012-03-08 Case transferred to field office for additional processing

2012-03-23 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-05-10 Transferred to another office for processing

2012-05-14 Now being processed at a USCIS office

2012-06-05 Approved NOA2

2012-07-17 NVC Case/Invoice # Received

Petitioner: US Born Citizen (Wife)

Beneficiary: British Born Citizen (Husband)

Your I-130 was approved in 279 days from your NOA1 date

Please pay attention to the key words that complete the thought of the sentence. It is indeed correct, based on the experiences of others, that Manila does NOT ALWAYS accept a consponsor for the K-1 beneficiary.

That would depend on which consulate they would interview at. Some consulates, such as Manila for instance, do not always accept a co-sponsor. But yes, most consulates will allow you to have a co-sponsor if you do not meet the income requirement.

:thumbs:

Our K-1 and AOS Journey

05/12-05/22/10-met my sweetheart and family(had lots of fun!)
12/13-12/26/11-met again for engagement/Christmas
04/10/12-I-129F petition sent
04/13/12-USPS delivery confirmation
04/18/12-NOA1 text/email
04/21/12-NOA1(receipt 04/17/12)
10/10/12-NOA2 text
10/15/12-NOA2 letter received
10/27/12-NVC letter received
11/28/12-Medical Exam-PASSED
12/07/12-K-1 Interview-APPROVED

02/12/13-POE-Atlanta
03/04/13-Wedding
03/27/13-AOS,EAD,AP delivered
04/03/13-NOAs text/email
04/08/13-NOAs received
04/26/13-Biometrics appointment(walk-in done 04/17)

06/03/13-EAD card production/AP post decision approval

06/10/13-EAD/AP combo card received

04/04/14-AOS card production/decision

04/11/14-NOA2 welcome to the USA

04/12/14-Received GC

Please pay attention to the key words that complete the thought of the sentence. It is indeed correct, based on the experiences of others, that Manila does NOT ALWAYS accept a consponsor for the K-1 beneficiary.

:thumbs:

Well I obviously based my fact on the experiences of PEOPLE I KNOW...NOT just from what I read from other here in VJ……

So explain to me why did the person I know could ABLE to use co-sponsor for petitioning his fiancé? Is there a different before the person I know from someone else case in here???

Let face the fact MOST people here they just getting their answer/s for what they are reading NOT from what they are experiencing…which sometime is wrong because NOT ALL answer/comment/replies here are 100% accurate.

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Just saying!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.