AKSinghSingh79

Integrating and assimilating into life in the U.S.

14 posts in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Integration is defined as "to combine into one unified system; desegregate." It is synonymous with combination, blending, and fusion.

What is the benefit to having new immigrants make an attempt to immerse themselves in American culture and begin adopting it as their own? Conversely, is it necessarily negative if immigrants do not choose to integrate? What are the consequences of a society that does not choose to blend? Should integration to a certain degree be a de facto requirement in an immigrant's pursuit of U.S. citizenship? Or is society developing fine naturally? Is multiculturalism an inevitable future that will come naturally from a changing society? Is it the fault of the society itself for not educating youth more thoroughly on the world's cultures and requiring the study and mastery of a second and third language?

Please discuss.

Here are some interesting articles/journal publications relating to the topic:

http://www.americanp...ntegration.html

http://www.migration...ion-Jimenez.pdf

http://faculty.kutzt...ssimilation.PDF

I kindly request that those who wish to reply to this thread do not turn into a negative discussion on race. I am in no way, shape, or form arguing that American culture is superior to others and would like it to remain as such.

Edited by AKSinghSingh79

I am the petitioner.

VMETm4.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I will just talked about my own experience.

As for me....

The benefit of integration with the new environment (I don't regard it as new society as we all living same society, just different environment amd culture), is that you live comfortably since allowing oneself to integrate to new culture and environment would give you awareness and better understanding around you. You connect with human being that you may or may not share same things in your life.

I don't agree on isolation of immigrants will works because its human nature to integrate no matter how long it takes.

At this point, I don't consider culture or society as my criteria for citizenship rather than what advantage it can offer to my family and their future.

Lifting Condition (I-751)

09/09/2011 - Sent the package to CSC

09/13/2011 - CSC received the package

09/15/2011 - CSC cashed check and NOA1 Received

09/26/2011 - Biometrics Appointment Notice Date (Sent)

10/13/2011 - Early Biometrics

10/19/2011 - Biometrics Appointment

10/26/2011 - GC expiration

11/25/2011 - Received RFE

11/28/2011 - Sent response to RFE

01/13/2012 - Ordered card production (Approved)

01/19/2012 - 10 yrs GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Romania
Timeline

I think ntergation is good and possible, wheras assimilation can only work on a superficial level.

USCIS [*] 22 Nov. 2011 - I-129 package sent; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - Package delivered; [*] 25 Nov. 2011 - NOA1/petition received and routed to the California Service Center; [*] 30 Nov. 2011 - Touched/confirmation though text message and email; [*] 03 Dec. 2011 - Hard copy received; [*]24 April 2012 - NOA2 (no RFEs)/text message/email/USCIS account updated; [*] 27 April 2012 - NOA2 hard copy received.

NVC [*] 14 May 2012 - Petition received by NVC ; [*] 16 May 2012 - Petition left NVC.

EMBASSY [*] 18 May 2012 - Petition arrived at the US Embassy in Bucharest; [*] 22 May 2012 - Package 3 received; [*] 24 May 2012 - Package sent to the consulate, interview date set; [*] 14 June 2012 - Interview date, approved.

POE [*] 04 July 2012 - Minneapolis/St.Paul. [*] 16 September 2012 - Wedding Day!

AOS/EAD/AP [*] 04 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package sent; [*] 07 February 2013 - AOS/EAD/AP package delivered; [*] 12 February 2013 - NOA1 text messages/emails; [*] 16 February 2013 - NOA1 received in the regular mail; [*] 28 February 2013 - Biometrics letter received (appointment date, March 8th); [*] 04 March 2013 - Biometrics walk-in completed (9 out of 10 fingerprints taken, pinky would not give in); [*] 04 April 2013 - EAD/AP card approved; [*] 11 April 2013 - Combo card sent/tracking number obtained; [*] 15 April 2013 - Card delivered.

[*] 15 May 2013 - Moved from MN to LA; [*] 17 May 2013 - Applied for a new SS card/filed an AR-11 online (unsuccessfully), therefore called and spoke to a Tier 2 and changed the address; [*] 22 May 2013 - Address updated on My Case Status (finally can see the case numbers online); [*] 28 May 2013 - Letter received in the mail confirming the change of address; [*] 31 July 2013 - Went to Romania; [*] 12 September 2013 - returned to the US using the AP, POE Houston, everything went smoothly; [*] 20 September 2013 - Spoke to a Tier2 and put in a service request; [*] 23 September 2013 - Got "Possible Interview Waiver" letter (originally sent on August, 29th to my old address, returned and re-routed to my current address); [*] 1 October 2013 - Started a new job.

event.png

Trying to get the word out about our struggles:

http://voices.yahoo.com/almost-legal-citizen-but-not-quite-12155565.html?cat=9

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Honduras
Timeline

Well, I think that those who want to live in the US for a long amount of time should at least try to integrate themselves in some way. Honestly, living overseas, I've had a little bit of a hard time due to my absolute fear of speaking Spanish. (I had a really bad experience when I was first learning the language, and although I can read and write relatively well, my speaking ability is almost non-existent.) So I can totally understand how someone would feel learning English for the first time, knowing that they have to rely on using that language. Maybe they have a lot of fear, maybe they feel embarrassed speaking in English; there are a lot of factors that happen when people are learning another language. It isn't just about mastering the language, a lot more goes into it -- are they confident? Do they have a safe and comfortable place to practice? Do people laugh at them? Do they have any fear? Bad experiences? Anything like that.

Luckily for me, my fiance speaks fluent English so I depend on him to help me. Of course, after living here over one year, I can understand the majority of what people say. I know that when he goes to the US, he might have a little bit of trouble adjusting to other people's English but overall, it will be no problem for him.

It's hard to tell people that they MUST learn the language, you know? I know people who have lived almost all their lives in the States and they still only speak their native language. Yes, it is probably harder for them, but maybe they just come to depend on others. But seriously, after a while, being subjected to listening to English ALL of the time, they most likely will pick up the language - just like a child does.

El destino me ha unido a vos.

I-129F K1 Visa Process
[01.18.2012] Sent I-129F Petition
[01.20.2012] NOA1
[06.13.2012] NOA2 - no RFE's
[07.09.2012] Petition received at NVC; case number assigned
[07.11.2012] Petition sent to Honduras consulate
[07.13.2012] Consulate received petition package
[08.07.2012] Received interview date & Packet 4 in email
[10.10.2012] Interview smile.png - APPROVED!
[10.18.2012] POE Houston
[10.29.2012] Marriage <3

I-485 AOS Process
[12.14.2012] Sent I-485 Package with I-765
[12.19.2012] NOA1
[12.24.2012] Biometrics letter received
[01.02.2013] RFE notice
[01.05.2013] RFE hardcopy received
[01.07.2013] Biometrics appointment
[03.04.2013] RFE sent back to USCIS
[03.19.2013] EAD approved
[03.27.2013] EAD arrived in the mail

[09.21.2013] I-485 approved

[09.26.2013] Green card sent in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The question ( to be exact, the bunch of questions ) is very interesting. United States is one of the few countries in the world where society does not really expect new immigrants to quickly assimilate themselves ( that's not the case, for example, in Western European countries with significant immigrant population ). Still, the country does not experience those issues with immigrant communities as France or Germany do, and the xenophobia level toward immigrants is low. That still supports my belief that US might not be the best country in the world but it's definitely the best country to be an immigrant in.

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I am looking for any general, or Russian specific, guides or classes to assimilating into American culture. Specifically in the Detroit, MI area.

xe4sm4.png

cQuqm4.png

Timeline

You might one to try purchasing the book "Culture Shock USA" I thing you can get it on Amazon.com for $7.00

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Timeline

Cool, thank you!

You are welcome. The book has been very helpful to my fiancee and others.

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Well - let me answer from both sides of this argument. I myself am an immigrant to the US. I came from Canada and thus speak english well with some cultural differences. Back in Canada I was a 3rd generation immigrant from Europe (Transylvania to be exact). I would say it is very important for any immigrant to try to immerse themselves in the culture and language of the new country. Why else have you moved there then? If not to adopt that country and it's language and customs as your own. You of course will bring a unique flavour (note my Canadian spelling :) ) to that American culture and will put your stamp on it.

My grandparents (the immigrants from Transylvania) did not make an effort to learn much english, they could easily get by speaking their own language amongst friends and neighbours and could generally do business in town without speaking much english. Until the day they both died, they both sounded like they'd just got off the boat and yet they had lived in Canada 60+ years! THey did however insist that each of their children learn english, and well. They insisted that a good Canadian education was what would get their children through life and it has benefited my dad and his siblings often. My dad and his siblings longed for nothing more then to 'regular canadians' and not have those silly parents with accents which were enbarassing!

I really do think it's harmful for immigrants to come and assume they can take up the same life they had, same customs and same language without making a concerted effort to adopt their new country's language/ customs etc.... It cuases them to be segregated because they are not trying to blend. It causes distrust with people from that country as they wonder why these people came to the US and don't want to assimilate...I myself would never assume I could move to say France without learning French, right?

So tehre you have it - I am an immigrant and a grandchild of immigrants so I have seen both sides of it

Wiz(USC) and Udella(Cdn & USC!)

Naturalization

02/22/11 - Filed

02/28/11 - NOA

03/28/11 - FP

06/17/11 - status change - scheduled for interview

06/20?/11 - received physical interview letter

07/13/11 - Interview in Fairfax,VA - easiest 10 minutes of my life

07/19/11 - Oath ceremony in Fairfax, VA

Removal of Conditions

12/1/09 - received at VSC

12/2/09 - NOA's for self and daughter

01/12/10 - Biometrics completed

03/15/10 - 10 Green Card Received - self and daughter

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

An amazing resource for immigrants and new arrivals to the USA

http://www.welcometousa.gov/

Found a few more:

http://www.justice.gov/crt/legalinfo/natlorg-eng.php

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

http://www.aclu-nj.org/theissues/immigrantrights/

Edited by CyberKnight13

xe4sm4.png

cQuqm4.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Why would someone go through the incredible hassle that comes with (legally) moving to America and not want to assimilate? If I understood the answer to that, perhaps I can then give an answer as to why they should or should not.

My timeline was last updated on 29MAR2013.

English is my first language, much to the surprise of many people here because I come from a country whose national language isn't English. I thoroughly believe that people who want to live in the US should assimilate into the American way of living and that includes learning to speak English. You wouldn't think much of someone who moved to Vietnam and never learned the language, right?

Learning English doesn't mean you lose your culture and traditions.

Adjustment of Status from H-1B, Family-Based
07/26/2012 - 10/18/2012: 85 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Removal of Conditions
07/22/2014 - 11/14/2014: 116 Days from Application Received to GC Received.
Naturalization
02/03/2016 - 05/31/2016 : 119 Days from Application Received to Oath Ceremony.

I am a United States citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.