calmload

Fraud: Check outcome of I-751 after divorce?

I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How stupid was I to marry this girl? [check all that apply]

• Just gullible and in love, dawwwww!
    • A little stupid.
    • Moderately stupid.
    • Considerably stupid.
    • What on earth were you thinking?
    • More mentally ill than the politicians on capitol hill
    • Other

47 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Greetings,

Some time ago, I [a U.S. citizen] brought my fiancee to the United States on a K-1 visa. We married and she subsequently obtained two-year conditional permanent resident (i.e. green card) status. Shortly after she attained that status, I realized (somewhat belatedly) that she did not intend to engage in a legitimate marriage with me and had in fact married me for the sole purpose of obtaining a favorable immigration status to the United States.

I subsequently filed for an annulment based on fraudulent inducement to the marriage. Of the three elements of fraudulent inducement, the judge found that she had made false statements to me in order to induce me to marry her and that I had suffered damages as a result of relying on her false statements in agreeing to marry her, but that there was "insufficient reasonable reliance" on my part to grant the annulment. As a result, he granted us a divorce instead of the annulment, and included his judgment of the three elements in the divorce order.

("Insufficient reasonable reliance" means that although she lied to me to get me to marry her and I was damaged by believing her lies, a "reasonable, prudent person" in a similar situation would probably not have believed her lies. In other words, I should have seen it coming. If this had been some type of business contract, I would agree with him. But I was in love and thus acted somewhat foolishly in believing that she wanted to marry me because she loved me and wanted to spend her life with me. In my defense, I will add that she was in the United States legally when we met, and we had known each other for like three years prior to marrying. But that's really neither here nor there.)

It has now been almost two years since she obtained her two-year green card, so the time is approaching when she will have to file an I-751 to lift the conditions of her conditional permanent residence status if she wishes to remain in the United States legally (which she does). I am no longer in contact with her, nor do I wish to be in contact with her, but I would like to know whether she is granted unconditional permanent resident status or not. (It seems unlikely that she would, given the wording of the divorce decree, but who knows with these things...)

I have done a little bit of research on the web and have not been able to discover a method for finding this out once the time comes. Perhaps the government considers it to be none of my business now that we are no longer married. Nevertheless, I would like to find out what the outcome is. Do any of you have any idea how I might find out?

Thanks in advance,

calmload

Oh and for what it's worth, I didn't write to USCIS telling them that I think she defrauded me and hence USCIS. Although I don't think she deserves any immigration benefits on account of having married me, I feel that it's best to just stay out of it and let bygones be bygones. If USCIS wants to know what I think, they can read the judge's ruling (which they will, as she will have to send it to them as part of the I-751).

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Let it go. The wording of the divorce decree will have little if any impact on her petition.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Actual the time for her to ROC was when she was granted the actual divorce,therefore she couldhave ROC and moved on to her next life. When was the actual divorce granted?

Actual the time for her to ROC was when she was granted the actual divorce,therefore she couldhave ROC and moved on to her next life. When was the actual divorce granted?

The divorce was finalized in Q3 2011. I realize she could file for ROC any time between then and two years after her conditional permanent residence status date, but I think she will wait until close to the last minute. Her timing doesn't really matter though. I am not seeking to influence the outcome of her ROC application; I just want to know the outcome. Just to know, one way or the other.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

The divorce was finalized in Q3 2011. I realize she could file for ROC any time between then and two years after her conditional permanent residence status date, but I think she will wait until close to the last minute. Her timing doesn't really matter though. I am not seeking to influence the outcome of her ROC application; I just want to know the outcome. Just to know, one way or the other.

IMHO, Turn around, walk away, and don't look back.... :yes:

YMMV

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

IMHO, Turn around, walk away, and don't look back.... :yes:

YMMV

I completely agree, and I have in large part been able to move on. I am not going to take any action based on what happens to her with regards to her immigration status, but I just want to know one way or the other if that is possible. Even if she is granted unconditional permanent resident status, I will be much happier just knowing that is the case than wondering what happened. It's just the way I am. :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree and, by and large, I have done. But I'm the kind of guy who likes to know how things turn out one way or the other, so if there is a way for me to find out once the time comes, I would like to do so.

None that I know of. She will have to file an individual petition, that means it is not your business and you are divorced so NO you are not entitled to know any of her business.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I completely agree, and I have in large part been able to move on. I am not going to take any action based on what happens to her with regards to her immigration status, but I just want to know one way or the other if that is possible. Even if she is granted unconditional permanent resident status, I will be much happier just knowing that is the case than wondering what happened. It's just the way I am. :)

Then pick up the phone and call her if she wishes for you to know then she will tell you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oh and for what it's worth, I didn't write to USCIS telling them that I think she defrauded me and hence USCIS. Although I don't think she deserves any immigration benefits on account of having married me, I feel that it's best to just stay out of it and let bygones be bygones. If USCIS wants to know what I think, they can read the judge's ruling (which they will, as she will have to send it to them as part of the I-751).

I assure you they do not want to know what you think. Nor do they care. Neither should you, turn around, look ahead, that is where you are going.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

I assure you they do not want to know what you think. Nor do they care. Neither should you, turn around, look ahead, that is where you are going.

Well, um... You seem to be a bit hostile about this. But at any rate, what does it matter to me whether they care or want to know what I think? Like I said, I didn't tell them anything...

Edited by calmload

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Be very careful what you say, especially in a public forum. You admited that you were frauded and chose to do nothing to report this known fraud to USCIS. You are now waist deep and sinking fast. You have now become an accessory to immigration fraud through your own admission. My suggestion is to walk away COMPLETELY from this situation, or follow through and report the fraud to USCIS.

Step carefully as you are in the middle of a mine field and this whole situation may blow up in your face.

K1 Visa Timeline:

03/21/2012 Met in person

03/23/2012 Engaged

04/09/2012 I-129F mailed

04/13/2012 I-129F Received at TSC, forwarded to VSC

04/13/2012 NOA1 Date

04/13/2012 Check Cashed

04/19/2012 Received NOA1 letter

10/18/2012 NOA2-No RFE

10/23/2012 Received MNL case number from NVC

10/24/2012 Paid visa fee and scheduled interview

11/08/2012 Medical Completed

11/09/2012 CFO seminar and interview completed

11/19/2012 Interview USEM- VISA APPROVED

11/26/2012 Passport (and visa) in transit from post

11/27/2012 Visa Packet delivered/Air booked-business class all the way!!

12/05/2012 flew to Manila-CFO sticker-USA Bound

12/06/2012 Arrived USA-POE Washington DC!!!!!!!!!

12/12/2012 Wedding

event.png

event.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.