Gary and Alla

Obama scare tactics

25 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Typical Dem politics. Health care costs skyrocket and the plan is to take over the business and toss out the private insurance companies, limit profits etc, etc.

But when colleges, the bastion of liberal politics, increase their costs to the stratosphere, what is the concern? Interest rates. Is anyone really concerned that student loan interest rates are 2% or 6% when the tuition for a year at Rice is $37,000 or a year at St Micheals is $32,000 and a year at UVM is $16,000...tuition ONLY? Seriously?

Why have there not been the investigations, the outrage, the demand for government control over the cost of education as there is over the cost of medicine? Teachers unions perhaps?

Obama is losing the young vote, he cannot fill a stadium half the size of the ones he did in 2008, even with the help of Jimmy Fallon and a popular band, so he appeals to them by saying that the government needs to keep their loan rates low? And they buy into it?

Must be undergrads.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Typical Dem politics. Health care costs skyrocket and the plan is to take over the business and toss out the private insurance companies, limit profits etc, etc.

But when colleges, the bastion of liberal politics, increase their costs to the stratosphere, what is the concern? Interest rates. Is anyone really concerned that student loan interest rates are 2% or 6% when the tuition for a year at Rice is $37,000 or a year at St Micheals is $32,000 and a year at UVM is $16,000...tuition ONLY? Seriously?

Why have there not been the investigations, the outrage, the demand for government control over the cost of education as there is over the cost of medicine? Teachers unions perhaps?

Obama is losing the young vote, he cannot fill a stadium half the size of the ones he did in 2008, even with the help of Jimmy Fallon and a popular band, so he appeals to them by saying that the government needs to keep their loan rates low? And they buy into it?

Must be undergrads.

He did propose a plan a few months ago to control tuition rates but with the tie up in congress I don't think it went anywhere.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I also find it amusing that he gripes about interest rates...

First he takes college loans away from the banks and makes it a part of the government, now he's griping about it...

This guy is something else..

nfrsig.jpg

The Great Canadian to Texas Transfer Timeline:

2/22/2010 - I-129F Packet Mailed

2/24/2010 - Packet Delivered to VSC

2/26/2010 - VSC Cashed Filing Fee

3/04/2010 - NOA1 Received!

8/14/2010 - Touched!

10/04/2010 - NOA2 Received!

10/25/2010 - Packet 3 Received!

02/07/2011 - Medical!

03/15/2011 - Interview in Montreal! - Approved!!!

Timeline

I also find it amusing that he gripes about interest rates...

First he takes college loans away from the banks and makes it a part of the government, now he's griping about it...

This guy is something else..

Yeah, when he did that it cost 400 jobs at the Vermont Student Assistance Corp. (VSAC) a private NON profit organization that was doing an outstanding job of helping all the students in the state and giving us the unique ability to "one stop shop" for student aid. Not anymore. Brilliant

But again, are we worried about the interest rate that someone pays on their credit card for medical costs? NO! So why are we concentrating on the interest rate paid for education instead of on how to reduce the cost of education?

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

Must be undergrads.

So is Herman Cain still gonna win since he is the guy all the Dems don't like....And Romney gonna lose because the Dems like him?

rofl.gif

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Must be undergrads.

Why should the private sector get paid to dole loans that essentially government guaranteed? Talk about money for old rope! Prior to 2005it was still possible to discharge private student debt. The private sector promised at the time to reduce cost of providing student loans, but of course never did. Instead they just got rich selling the debt on to other institutions and then using the money collected to support more lending.

Oct 19, 2010 I-130 application submitted to US Embassy Seoul, South Korea

Oct 22, 2010 I-130 application approved

Oct 22, 2010 packet 3 received via email

Nov 15, 2010 DS-230 part 1 faxed to US Embassy Seoul

Nov 15, 2010 Appointment for visa interview made on-line

Nov 16, 2010 Confirmation of appointment received via email

Dec 13, 2010 Interview date

Dec 15, 2010 CR-1 received via courier

Mar 29, 2011 POE Detroit Michigan

Feb 15, 2012 Change of address via telephone

Jan 10, 2013 I-751 packet mailed to Vermont Service CenterJan 15, 2013 NOA1

Jan 31, 2013 Biometrics appointment letter received

Feb 20, 2013 Biometric appointment date

June 14, 2013 RFE

June 24, 2013 Responded to RFE

July 24, 2013 Removal of conditions approved

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why should the private sector get paid to dole loans that essentially government guaranteed? Talk about money for old rope! Prior to 2005it was still possible to discharge private student debt. The private sector promised at the time to reduce cost of providing student loans, but of course never did. Instead they just got rich selling the debt on to other institutions and then using the money collected to support more lending.

The bigger question should be, why is the federal even involved in education at any level? The fools in D.C. are spending 6Bil taxpayer dollars to subsidize interest rates on student loans and student loan debt is approaching a trillion dollars.

Something tells me when the student loan bubble pops, the 'govt is the answer' crowd will somehow blame the private sector boogeyman -- when the culprit is glaringly obvious.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" - Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945.

"Retreat hell! We just got here!"

CAPT. LLOYD WILLIAMS, USMC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Must be undergrads.

As Gary says, the problem is not 2% vs 6% interest rate on student loans. The problem is that college costs are increasing an unrealistic 8% to 10% or more each year. Totally out of line with inflation.

I have a daughter that, thank God, is graduating in two weeks from dental school. The tuition cost this past year was over $60,000.

Edited by Neonred

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline

And your solution?

Gary And Alla

Timeline

As Gary says, the problem is not 2% vs 6% interest rate on student loans. The problem is that college costs are increasing an unrealistic 8% to 10% or more each year. Totally out of line with inflation.

I have a daughter that, thank God, is graduating in two weeks from dental school. The tuition cost this past year was over $60,000.

Its nuts! Sergey got a full paid scholarship and stipend, who the heck could afford $60,000 + per year for school, room and board? For Alla we worked our butts off to avoid having student loans, but it was only $16,000 per year after her 50% scholarship.

Full tuition in Russia at Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology for a FOREIGN student who gets NO subsidy? $3700 per YEAR plus a whopping $1200 per YEAR for a graduate apartment. When he had an undergraduate dorm it was $700 per year WITH full meal service at the school cafeterias (2).

It is OUT OF CONTROL and Obama is arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. In case you wonder why there are so many foreign doctors, scientists in this country. Had Sergey not been able to get a paid scholarship here he would be doing his doctorate in Moscow also.

Edited by Gary and Alla

Gary And Alla

Filed: Timeline

Typical Dem politics. Health care costs skyrocket and the plan is to take over the business and toss out the private insurance companies, limit profits etc, etc.But when colleges, the bastion of liberal politics, increase their costs to the stratosphere, what is the concern? Interest rates. Is anyone really concerned that student loan interest rates are 2% or 6% when the tuition for a year at Rice is $37,000 or a year at St Micheals is $32,000 and a year at UVM is $16,000...tuition ONLY? Seriously?Why have there not been the investigations, the outrage, the demand for government control over the cost of education as there is over the cost of medicine? Teachers unions perhaps?Obama is losing the young vote, he cannot fill a stadium half the size of the ones he did in 2008, even with the help of Jimmy Fallon and a popular band, so he appeals to them by saying that the government needs to keep their loan rates low? And they buy into it?Must be undergrads.

I'll agree that tuition costs are out of control. But to the unfortunate of us who have student loans up to our throats, a low interest rate is what keeps me able to pay them off comfortably. That 2% vs 6% difference is a rather large sum of money when we're talking $50k+

The only way to significantly decrease tuition costs would be government subsidies/funding, but I know of at lease a dozen states that can't afford that.

Edited by jaejayC

Timeline

I'll agree that tuition costs are out of control. But to the unfortunate of us who have student loans up to our throats, a low interest rate is what keeps me able to pay them off comfortably. That 2% vs 6% difference is a rather large sum of money when we're talking $50k+

The only way to significantly decrease tuition costs would be government subsidies/funding, but I know of at lease a dozen states that can't afford that.

I am trying to look at it as an issue that affects more than just people that have loans now. Obama is not. The rates WERE 6%. The Democrat controlled congress in 2007 did a 5 year reduction of the rates which was quite conveniently going to make the topic come up again at election time (who knew?) So now Obama will "ride to the rescue" and try to keep the rates for another, what...4 years? Then what? Who is doing anything besides kicking the can down the road?

Really, they can do nothing but subsidize? UVM terminates its President for a sex scandal and he gets a $1.6 million "going away" present? How many students would that educate? Seems that when the subject is the politicians buddies in the teacher's unions they just have no solutions except subsidies they "can't afford" but they have plenty of answers for medical costs that do not involve subsidizing anyone. :whistle:

Gary And Alla

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Your existing loan rates are not going up. It is only the rate for newly issued loans that will be affected. All outstanding loans will not change.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.