nica

Friend hoping her husband can be in the country with her...

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

** two topics on the same issue merged. PLease only post once an a question/ issue *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

I have no personal experience about the H1-B process, but my understanding is that if an employer is willing to sponsor a foreigner for a work visa, and can make the case of why they want to hire that particular foreigner over an American, USCIS doesn't really care how he found the sponsor. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but the H1-B process, according to my knowledge, is almost entirely handled by the sponsoring company's lawyer, and the sponsored foreign employee doesn't have to prove much of anything, besides being qualified for being sponsored (i.e. meeting the minimum requirements regarding education, and being suitable for the job).

H1B are not so "easy". First, there has to be availability. It used to be that the entire pool of H1Bs was spoken for on Day1 of the USCIS 'year'. So it's possible there isn't one available.

Second, there are several proofs and conditions to get one. Not only one has to proof that is qualified, but also there there is no person to be found wihtin the country that can perform the job; of course, attorneys have this to a science and generally it is possible given sufficient time and money. In general, it can take several months. One advantage is that it is possible to 'expedite' by paying a premium fee; depending of course of availability

It wold be easier to file for TN-1 (which is exclusive to citizens of Mexico and Canada)

Finally USCIS will always tell you to 'apply'. You can apply all you want; getting approved is a different story

Edited by Gosia & Tito

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Serbia
Timeline

I have no personal experience about the H1-B process, but my understanding is that if an employer is willing to sponsor a foreigner for a work visa, and can make the case of why they want to hire that particular foreigner over an American, USCIS doesn't really care how he found the sponsor. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken, but the H1-B process, according to my knowledge, is almost entirely handled by the sponsoring company's lawyer, and the sponsored foreign employee doesn't have to prove much of anything, besides being qualified for being sponsored (i.e. meeting the minimum requirements regarding education, and being suitable for the job).

I originally came to the US on a H1B visa and later became a citizen after 10 years living here. I remember it took about 6 months to get it and I don't think the wait was related to the visa quota (I am a scientist and don't think the cap applied to my situation). Basically, there is a substantial waiting period for these type of visas too.

H1B are not so "easy". First, there has to be availability. It used to be that the entire pool of H1Bs was spoken for on Day1 of the USCIS 'year'. So it's possible there isn't one available.

Second, there are several proofs and conditions to get one. Not only one has to proof that is qualified, but also there there is no person to be found wihtin the country that can perform the job; of course, attorneys have this to a science and generally it is possible given sufficient time and money. In general, it can take several months. One advantage is that it is possible to 'expedite' by paying a premium fee; depending of course of availability

It wold be easier to file for TN-1 (which is exclusive to citizens of Mexico and Canada)

Finally USCIS will always tell you to 'apply'. You can apply all you want; getting approved is a different story

I wasn't implying that they are easy to get - or at least I didn't mean to imply that. What I meant was that though I am fully aware of the fact that a foreigner is not supposed to use a tourist visa to come to the US to fish around for a job and do interviews with prospective employers, I don't think that USCIS will require the sponsored employee to somehow prove he/she did not do exactly that. The OP was asking whether the foreigner would have to: "..explain the circumstances of how he was hired? In other words, if it turns out he sought an interview with the employer while in the U.S. on a tourist visa, would USCIS find out?"

Again, I am not extremely familiar with the H1-B process, but I've never seen anyone having to prove how they originally came about the job offer, assuming all the other requirements, which you pointed out in your post, are met.

Adjustment of Status from F-1 to Legal Permanent Resident

02/11/2011 Married at Manhattan City Hall

03/03/2011 - Day 0 - AOS -package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

03/04/2011 - Day 1 - AOS -package signed for at USCIS

03/09/2011 - Day 6 - E-mail notification received for all petitions

03/10/2011 - Day 7 - Checks cashed

03/11/2011 - Day 8 - NOA 1 received for all 4 forms

03/21/2011 - Day 18 - Biometrics letter received, biometrics scheduled for 04/14/2011

03/31/2011 - Day 28 - Successful walk-in biometrics done

05/12/2011 - Day 70 - EAD Arrived, issued on 05/02

06/14/2011 - Day 103 - E-mail notice: Interview letter mailed, interview scheduled for July 20th

07/20/2011 - Day 139 - Interview at Federal Plaza USCIS location

07/22/2011 - Day 141 - E-mail approval notice received (Card production)

07/27/2011 - Day 146 - 2nd Card Production Email received

07/28/2011 - Day 147 - Post-Decision Activity Email from USCIS

08/04/2011 - Day 154 - Husband returns home from abroad; Welcome Letter and GC have arrived in the mail

("Resident since" date on the GC is 07/20/2011

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's not against the Law to enter the U.S. with a tourist visa find a job and change the B2 visa to H1B visa. H1B visa holder can get married while in USA and adjust the status as well.A person doesn't have to explain at the AOS interview about the work visa/sponsor at all.

I entered the USA with a tourist visa, I found a job and I changed my visa to H1B. Years later I got married and at my AOS interview the adjudicator didn't even ask if I worked in the USA or not. I stated in the form G325-A about my employment of course, but he didn't ask a single question about my job.

Edited by sandranj

So if nobody gets in trouble for searching for work while on a tourist visa, then why bother making that illegal at all? Baffling.

USCIS (221 days)
07-13-2011 -- I-130 sent
07-15-2011 -- I-130 NOA1 received in the mail
02-21-2012 -- I-130 NOA2 approved

NVC (26 days)
02-24-2012 -- NVC receives application
03-21-2012 -- Case completed at NVC

Consulate (50 days)
04-05-2012 -- Interview date assigned
05-01-2012 -- Medical
05-21-2012 -- Interview - Approved
05-25-2012 -- Received visa

06-03-2012 -- POE!

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

It's against the Law to apply for B-2 intending to come to USA to change status. The US Consulate always issue the B2 visa assuming that the foreign national will return home at the end of the B-2 visa duration. But if after a while visiting the USA someone finds a job they can change Status in the USA.

I was working as a Prosecutor in Brazil when I came to spend 30 days here.I didn't intend at all to work in the USA, but then I got an offer to work for the the United Nations Headquarters in New York City, then I changed my visa B2 to H1B.Nobody gets in trouble for searching for work while on a tourist because if the person didn't intend to stay in the USA when applied for the B2 visa.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So if nobody gets in trouble for searching for work while on a tourist visa, then why bother making that illegal at all? Baffling.

Looking for work is not illegal or a problem. All it is is talking. The visitor visa holder is not working. It's the affirmative step of working for money that is illegal.

Looking for work is not illegal or a problem. All it is is talking. The visitor visa holder is not working. It's the affirmative step of working for money that is illegal.

Wow, there's a lot of disagreement over all of these issues. I felt pretty confident that looking for work while on a B-2 is illegal, considering you are not entering the country for "tourism."

USCIS (221 days)
07-13-2011 -- I-130 sent

NVC (26 days)

Consulate (50 days)
05-01-2012 -- Medical

06-03-2012 -- POE!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

so how's it coming, your research on the TN-1 visa ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

so how's it coming, your research on the TN-1 visa ?

Yep, I did research on TN-1... my impression is that they wouldn't qualify, since it's a non-immigrant visa. I've read that applying for that and a CR-1 at the same time will probably result in the TN-1 being denied.

On the other hand, the H1-B work visa seems to be applicable for people who may be filing an immigrant visa at the same time. I could be wrong about all of this, though!

USCIS (221 days)
07-13-2011 -- I-130 sent

NVC (26 days)

Consulate (50 days)
05-01-2012 -- Medical

06-03-2012 -- POE!

Filed: Timeline

Wow, there's a lot of disagreement over all of these issues. I felt pretty confident that looking for work while on a B-2 is illegal, considering you are not entering the country for "tourism."

The difference is, coming to the U.S. to look for work is illegal on a non-immigrant visa, since you necessarily have the intent to immigrate. Coming to the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa and then happening to find work is different.

Yep, I did research on TN-1... my impression is that they wouldn't qualify, since it's a non-immigrant visa. I've read that applying for that and a CR-1 at the same time will probably result in the TN-1 being denied.

On the other hand, the H1-B work visa seems to be applicable for people who may be filing an immigrant visa at the same time. I could be wrong about all of this, though!

No, you're right. H1-B is a "dual-intent visa", so you aren't disqualified if you have the intent to immigrate. TN-1 visa is non-immigrant, so it won't be approved if you have immigrant intent. If a USC's spouse qualifies for a TN, they usually will enter and then after some time adjust status if they decide they want to stay.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

IMO, is not any issue to hold a TN-1 visa and THEN submit the I-130 petition.

But to hold one, he has to obtain one (first)

After the I-130 winds it way into NVC, then there's NVC doc intake. TN-1 can still be in effect during that time,

and then...

once at interview date is set at CDJ, about 2 weeks prior, then (and only then) would he cross back into Mexico.

There's all this issue about intent and immigrating,

Working in the usa with a TN-1 visa - there's no intent for immigrating, there's no path for it, and then

Once he has the visa stamp for the CR-1 in his passport, then (and only then) is he intending to immigrate..

Think about it a bit, pull out a 12 month calendar, see what makes sense with the scenario I've described.

Good Luck with the rethink !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The difference is, coming to the U.S. to look for work is illegal on a non-immigrant visa, since you necessarily have the intent to immigrate. Coming to the U.S. on a nonimmigrant visa and then happening to find work is different.

No, you're right. H1-B is a "dual-intent visa", so you aren't disqualified if you have the intent to immigrate. TN-1 visa is non-immigrant, so it won't be approved if you have immigrant intent. If a USC's spouse qualifies for a TN, they usually will enter and then after some time adjust status if they decide they want to stay.

It's not illegal to look for work on a non-immigrant visa. Please provide a citation for your conclusion that it is.

I can't prove a negative that it is not illegal to look for work on a non-immigrant visa because Congress does not often make laws saying things are not illegal. Generally, Congress makes laws saying certain acts are illegal.

For example; There is no US law that either permits or prohibit dual citizenship. Since the law is silent, US citizens can have dual citizenship. As far as the US is concern, US citizens with other citizens are only US citizens and are treated as such.

Similarly, if the US has no laws on whether a visitor visa holder is permitted or prohibited from looking for a job. Since the law is silent, a visitor visa holder can look for a job. The law is very clear that the visitor cannot work. There is nothing about looking for a job.

At the POE, a non-immigrant visa holder who disclose that he/she is coming to look for permanent employment is unlikely to be admitted because the burden to prove not having an immigrant intent is on the visitor. Looking for a permanent job is in conflict with the notion of no immigrant intent. However, once the person is admitted, there is no law that say he/she cannot talk to potential employers.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.