danielleNJ

a few AOS questions...please help.

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello VJ!

Hope everyone is well. Shannon and I got married on Wednesday and are now getting ready to file for AOS!

Just have a few questions!

1. How much is the fee to file for AOS? I'm reading different things everywhere. And who do I make the check out to?

2. Where do I mail the entire AOS packet off to?

3. Shannon (beneficiary) and I are married, but my name is not legally changed to his last name yet. Do I keep my maiden name on all the forms since that is what is on all my documents? We were planning on beginning the name change process this week as well. If we send off AOS with my maiden name, but while it's being processed my name changes to his last name will that affect anything?

Think that's all for now!

Thanks so much!

Danielle

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

1. How much is the fee to file for AOS? I'm reading different things everywhere. And who do I make the check out to?

The answers are in the instructions. Clearly stated the fee and the mailing location. Please have a read of them. http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

-------------------------------------------- as1cE-a0g410010MjgybHN8MDA5Njk4c3xNYXJyaWVkIGZvcg.gif

Your I-129f was approved in 5 days from your NOA1 date.

Your interview took 67 days from your I-129F NOA1 date.

AOS was approved in 2 months and 8 days without interview.

ROC was approved in 3 months and 2 days without interview.

I am a Citizen of the United States of America. 04/16/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

It is important that you read the instructions in order to have firsthand understanding and knowledge of the immigration procedure and expectations. If there are more questions, feel free to ask. You may also look at the VJ guidelines. All the best.

STANLEY & KAREN
01/15/2009 - Fedex I-130, I-485, I-693, I-864, I-765, G-325A
01/20/2009 - Received in mail-room and signed for by J CHYBA
01/28/2009 - Checks cashed by Homeland Security
02/02/2009 - Received in mail 3 pcs of NOA1 one each for I-485, I-130, I-765 dated 01/28/2009
02/03/2009 - Received email RFE. What did I not send now, whew!
02/09/2009 - Received mails for initial evidence and Biometric appointment (02/19/2009); mailed evidence
02/19/2009 - biometrics done - in a out in 45 minutes
03/14/2009 - Receive NOA2 dated 03/10/2009. AOS interview April 29, 2009
03/18/2009 - Touched. EAD Card production ordered
03/25/2009 - Touched. EAD approval sent
03/27/2009 - EAD card received in the mail; applied for SS# immediately (office is across the street from my home)
04/02/2009 - Received SS# in the mail
04/29/2009 - Interviewed. I- 130 approved, I-485 pending IO's review
05/05/2009 - Received NOA2. Welcome letter for Permanent Residency. I-130 and I-485 approved 04/30/2009
05/08/2009 - Touched. I-485 approval letter sent
05/11/2009 - GC received in the mail. Expires 2019
05/11/2009 - Applied to remove restrictions on my SS Card
05/18/2009 - Received unrestricted SS card

10/13/2009 - My darling husband of 2 yrs 5 months 3 weeks 3 days passed away :(

Naturalization Process (5 Yrs Later) :goofy:

Mar 28, 2014 - Mailed N-400
Apr 08, 2014 - Check cashed
Apr 09, 2014 - Receive Notice letter Priority date April 3, 2014
Apr 11, 2014 - Touched - Email - Biometrics letter mailed
May 08, 2014 - Biometrics done
May 12, 2014 - Touched - Email - In line for interview scheduling
July 12, 2014 - Pre-interview letter (Yellow letter) received in mail
Aug 20, 2014 - Touched - Email - Interview scheduled
Aug 25, 2014 - Interview scheduled for Sept. 24, 2014
Sept 24, 2014 - Passed interview
Oct 06, 2014 - Touched - Email - In oath scheduling que
Oct 08, 2014 - Touched - Text - Oath ceremony scheduled
Oct 14, 2014 - Received letter - Oath ceremony Oct 28, 2014
Oct 28, 2014 - I AM A US CITIZEN! :joy: :joy: :joy:
Nov 12, 2014 - Updated my status from permanent resident to citizen at Social Security
Nov 14, 2014 - Applied for US passport
Nov 29, 2014 - Received US passport book
Dec 01, 2014 - Received Passport card
Dec 04, 2014 - Received Naturalization Certificate

--------------------
KayCee

Ccut.jpg.png

Hi Shannon and Danielle,

I hope you find the answers to your first two questions in the link Inky sent you.

In answer to your third question I am not sure what you mean by "my name is not legally changed yet". Your name changed when you got married (if you chose to take his name) and your marriage certificate is legal proof of that. If you mean updating various agencies such as banks, SSA etc about your name change you don't have to wait, you can submit AOS under your married name now, if that is the name you are going to be using from now on, and update the various agencies when you feel like it. SSA won't let you change your name until you have your EAD or GC anyway.

Edited by Lainie B

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi Shannon and Danielle,

I hope you find the answers to your first two questions in the link Inky sent you.

In answer to your third question I am not sure what you mean by "my name is not legally changed yet". Your name changed when you got married (if you chose to take his name) and your marriage certificate is legal proof of that. If you mean updating various agencies such as banks, SSA etc about your name change you don't have to wait, you can submit AOS under your married name now, if that is the name you are going to be using from now on, and update the various agencies when you feel like it. SSA won't let you change your name until you have your EAD or GC anyway.

Thank you for your response! My name did not

Legally change when I got married. We had no

Option for that. We applied for the marriage license, picked it up three days later, got married and we are picking up the certificate tomorrow. We need the certificate in order to make any changes to my name (ssa, DMV, banks, insurance, etc). This is according to the mayor who married us, the clerk at town hall, various web sources and my father (who is a lawyer). I am confused as to why I'm hearing differently now.

Option for that. We applied for the marriage license, picked it up three days later, got married and we are picking up the certificate tomorrow. We need the certificate in order to make any changes to my name (ssa, DMV, banks, insurance, etc). This is according to the mayor who married us, the clerk at town hall, various web sources and my father (who is a lawyer). I am confused as to why I'm hearing differently now.

They are correct, and I'm not disagreeing with what you were told, when there is no option to choose your new name on you marriage certificate your name is what you choose to go by. If you choose to keep your old name then you stay your old name. If you choose to use your husband's name, then that is your name now and the marriage certificate is proof of that, and you use it to update the agencies.

When I got married I was asked what I wanted my name to be, and that was written on the marriage certificate nice and clear. But not all states do that. Some just have the wife's maiden name and the husband's name. I guess in the old days it was just assumed that the wife would take her husband's name. It makes no difference in the end whether it is specified on the marriage certificate or not. I think it is kind of weird that not all states have the new name written on the marriage certificate myself. The agencies you mentioned just don't know your name has changed yet, and you will use the marriage certificate to show them that you have changed your name. But as far as AOS goes, the marriage certificate is all you need to show your name has changed.

BUT as far as changing your Australian passport goes - that is a different story. You will have to change your name in your home state in person first. Vanessa has an excellent summary of how to go about this. I haven't done it yet nmyself.

Edited by Lainie B

In looking at the NJ marriage license form, question 1a asks, "1a. Current Name (if different)." I bet that's where you would have been able to state a name change since the first question asks for your name at birth. Since you're already married, you would have to amend the vital record and provide the state with the name you wish to use: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/amend.shtml#leg.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

In looking at the NJ marriage license form, question 1a asks, "1a. Current Name (if different)." I bet that's where you would have been able to state a name change since the first question asks for your name at birth. Since you're already married, you would have to amend the vital record and provide the state with the name you wish to use: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/amend.shtml#leg.

No I doubt it. Here is the license form: http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/reg-77.pdf Qn 1 asks for "name at birth/name on birth certificate". Some people get married and keep their previous married name upon divorce, some people apply for legal name changes so in 1a they would write their CURRENT legal name, at the time of signing the form. Writing in the married name wouldn't be "current name" it would be "name after marriage".

My license here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=12585 shows what those that want "name before" and "name after" marriage look like.

Timeline

3. Shannon (beneficiary) and I are married, but my name is not legally changed to his last name yet. Do I keep my maiden name on all the forms since that is what is on all my documents? We were planning on beginning the name change process this week as well. If we send off AOS with my maiden name, but while it's being processed my name changes to his last name will that affect anything?

congrats on your wedding!!

1. $1070 U.S. Department of Homeland Security

2. Chicago lockbox

3. Your name IS legally changed, if you want it to be. Right now you're in "name limbo" so to speak. You can either elect to keep your maiden name, or take his surname. Proof of the name change is the marriage certificate. You can start signing that name and calling yourself that name but you will need to start changing it over at the SSA and DMV etc so you have proof of this change (except by carrying around the certificate all the time :P) If you want to keep you maiden that's fine, if you want to change it that's fine too. It would be better (in my opinion) to write your married name on the forms (if that's what name you're picking) just 'cause that IS your name now (again, IF you want it to be).

The example for the name is as the female immigrant my ONLY proof of name change was my marriage cert and yet I put my married name on the forms. I didn't change my Aussie passport or drivers licence until Sept/Oct 2010 (married Nov 2009). I only got a US licence in April 2010. I only changed my SSN in July 2010 after I got my GC. None of that mattered.

**Edit - check out the AOS thread in my signature (but remember the fee is $1070)

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

No I doubt it. Here is the license form: http://www.state.nj.us/health/forms/reg-77.pdf Qn 1 asks for "name at birth/name on birth certificate". Some people get married and keep their previous married name upon divorce, some people apply for legal name changes so in 1a they would write their CURRENT legal name, at the time of signing the form. Writing in the married name wouldn't be "current name" it would be "name after marriage".

My license here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=12585 shows what those that want "name before" and "name after" marriage look like.

Right, but you were married in Iowa, where the form clearly has fields for name before/name after on the application to marry. The NJ license doesn't seem to be as clear cut on if one is to write their birth name in both spots, but since that information is used for the marriage certificate, that's what led to my hunch that question 1a is the name someone wants to use post-marriage ceremony.

OP, check with the NJ Vital Stats & Records Dept. to get a definitive answer, but you will likely need to follow up with the vital record form I linked to upthread.

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Timeline

Right, but you were married in Iowa, where the form clearly has fields for name before/name after on the application to marry. The NJ license doesn't seem to be as clear cut on if one is to write their birth name in both spots, but since that information is used for the marriage certificate, that's what led to my hunch that question 1a is the name someone wants to use post-marriage ceremony.

OP, check with the NJ Vital Stats & Records Dept. to get a definitive answer, but you will likely need to follow up with the vital record form I linked to upthread.

Agree with contacting NJ Vital Stats but I again respectfully disagree about "1a". The info might well be used for the certificate but signing the license with the "when we get married name" where it says "current name" would be a lie. The license is valid for 6 months. Your "current name" is whatever it is at the time of signing the license application.

MANY states do not have you list the name after marriage on the license OR the certificate. \There are 3 types of licenses (which I've written about before). The OP has the kind where the "married name" isn't chosen at the license stage or signed at the married state. Nothing wrong with that. The name change can go through without issue with such a certificate and without following up with the vital record form.

OP just call the NJ Vital stats and ask them how you nominate a name change after marriage. They'll probably tell you you don't but that you can either keep your name, take your husbands last name, or hyphenate the two.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I agree with this. The 1a current name is for listing your current name if it is different than what is on your birth certificate. Those that were married before and kept their married names, or had a legal name change through the courts would put their current name there, as it differs from the one on their birth certificate. That is not where you would put a change of name after marriage, as after marriage would not be your CURRENT name since you are applying for a marriage license and not married yet.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.