Angelica_Chinedu

What is your (back-up) plan should you be denied the K-1?

38 posts in this topic

I would have married my wife in Vietnam and filed a CR1 petition. If that was denied then I would have moved to Vietnam to live with her while we went through the appeals process. If we had exhausted all possible chances of getting a visa then I would have lived in Vietnam the rest of my life.

:thumbs:

Part One: The K-1 Visa Journey:

USCIS Receipt of I-129F: January 24, 2012 | Petition Approval: June 15, 2012 (No RFEs)
Interview: October 24, 2012 - Review | Visa Delivered: October 31, 2012

Part Two: Entry and Adjusting Status:

POE: November 18, 2012 (at SFO) - Review
Wedding: December 1, 2012 | Social Security: New cards received on December 7, 2012.
AOS Package (I-485/I-765/I-131) NOA1: February 19, 2013 | Biometrics Appt.: March 18, 2013
AP/EAD Approved: April 29, 2013 | Card Received: May 6, 2013 | AOS Interview Appt.: May 16, 2013 - Approved Review Card Received: May 24, 2013

Part Three: Removal of Conditions:

Coming Soon...

"When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. When you're born in America, you get a front row seat." – George Carlin

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

If you cannot prove bona-fide relationship because the Embassy feels you guys have not spent enough time together "in person" and denies your K-1 VISA, what would you do? Would you start all over from scratch, or would you try for the IR-1/CR-1 VISA? :unsure:

For me and my fiancee, in the very unlikely event that we be denied we have actually discussed this, no problem, we both agree that this would be a sign to take a different approach, let go and live, perhaps I would move for a while to her country, perhaps marry in Colombia, a bit of travel for me for a few years, apply later. We have built a very strong trust and commitment in our relationship.

I actually think that the 5 to 8 month wait time for the K-1 process is actually a good thing as it separates those that want to "play house" from those wanting and deserving a great relationship and who are willing to put in the time, be patient and put the effort into it. It is not for the faint of heart.

Great question!

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Every consulate has their own way of determining the relationships validity. Some places hand visas out like candy, I am suprised they even check if you met at all. At the other end there is Nigeria. You had better have things that aren't asked for in other places and you need to either be Nigerian born or spend significant time with your intended. From my watching the number they want is about 30 days. Those days can be one or many trips. They are aware of the number of people that get their visas and depart the relationship on arrival ( solo ROC petitions ) Many of the people that fail at Lagos fail for a reason. Even significant time together doesn't prevent fraud, and the discover of the hidden second wife but it helps.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I can only remember reading one case where the couple could not move. Both had pretty nasty criminal convictions, drugs. He could not move to the US, she could not move to the Uk and neither could move anywhere else.

So usually there is always an option.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

When my now husband did the I 129f for me. We were together for two years long distance relationship.(we met on match.com) And since he is not rich he couldn't afford to visit me that much but in one year he went three times to see me for a week, then the second year he went twice. We sent pictures of us together in our excursions in my country, we sent emails(not too many but enough) we sent phone calls bills, airplanes tickects, chat history and tickets from the movies theaters we went.. And my visa was approved. The official at the consulate only ask me (infront of my husband) three questions; when we met? (I said the year wrong lol and my husband just look at me like OMG) then she asked me what did he do for living and to show her the phone calls bills.. That was all.. Then she said congrats and said to wait for my passport to arrived in the mail with my visa! :) that was the most happy day for us :) and today and just waiting to become a citizen and we are still happily married!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

Our original plan was Denmark, but he is ineligible to sponsor me for another two years. America is the backup plan and if it fails, then off to the UK since I am also a citizen there.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There's no question we're moving to the Philippines, the only issue is whether it is sooner instead of later. We want the kids to grow up in a free country, and it is way cheaper to live there too. There's no emergency but we are not sure what on earth is holding up her removal of conditions. Something is wrong, but so be it.

A lot of US Ex-Pats retire there. The interesting thing about that is you don't hear the retirees putting on the big martyr act about how much they sacrificed to move to the Philippines. Might have to send her there for a year or something while liquidating real estate, investments, and transforming the work product.

Geez, I had been there many times and seen way more of the Philippines than she ever has before I ever met her. The only grave concern about immigrating there is the targeting of Americanos in kidnap-for-ransom, robbery, assassination, MILF political hostage-type crimes. The more remote you go, the more you stick out, and the greater this threat becomes. The way most ex-pats are dealing with that is living in gated communities with a guard at an entry road. Hiding out in their air-conditioned cottages in the suberbs of Manila, or Cebu, Dumaguete, Davao, etc. Manila is quite a bit more expensive living.

But I can't live like that. So we'll keep looking for a place that is relatively remote but has a reasonable gangsterism threat level.

Edited by rlogan

Scary thought.. I was caring for my ill mother who pasted away in September and I have two small boys, so moving to NZ was alot harder for me, so it was decided he move here, but if we would have been denied, I would have gone there hands down, it would have been hard with my boys, but you have to do what you have to do, would have had joint custody with their fathers and they would have been international children lol.

11/13/2011 POE LAX ( My love is finally HOME!)
11/19/2011 Married (6 days)
11/25/2011 Filed Marriage License (6 days)
12/08/2011 Sent AOS Packet ( I-485, I-130, I-797 (13 days)
12/12/2011 NOA ( Packet received) (4 days)
02/16/2012 RFE (70 days)
02/20/2012 Sent Requested Evidence Back (4 days)
02/24/2012 Notice of Receipt of Evidence (4 days)
02/25/2012 Production of EAD/AP Combo Card (1 day)
03/02/2012 Mailed EAD/AP Combo Card (6 days)
03/05/2012 Received EAD/AP Combo Card In Mail (3 days)
03/14/2012 Received Interview Notice for 4/18/2012 (9 days)
04/18/2012 Interview at 10:50 am APPROVED (4 days)
04/18/2012 Notice of Approval for GC (35 days)
04/23/2012 Card in Production email (5 days)
04/24/2012 Card in Mail (1 day)
04/26/2012 GC in hand YAYAYAYA! (2 days)

Removal Of Conditions

02/03/2014 Collect all paperwork for I-751 and over nighted to Vermont Service Center

02/05/2014 Notice of Acceptance Online (2 days)

03/12/2014 Biometrics Appointment ( Went Smooth) (35 days)

05/09/2014 Waiting!!! (58 days)

08/01/2014 I-751 APPROVED ( 142 days)

08/07/2014 Received the approval letter ( 148 days )

Naturalization

11/22/2016 Over nighted N-400 to Lewisville Texas

11/29/2016 Check Cashed!

12/05/2016 NOA

12/20/2016 Biometrics Appointment

01/30/2017 In Line for Interview

04/03/2017 Interview day! Approved (134 Days)

04/07/2017 Received Oath Ceremony Letter (137 days)

Total of 148 days in the ROC process!

Day 137 of Naturalization after starting this whole process 6 years ago.... here we go again.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.