24 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

I have news for you guys! I just received my GC today and on the letter that came along with the card it says very clearly that you do not need to carry the card with you in America!!

I was just thinking about that today...i still didn't decided...but probably i'll keep it with me till i'll get my driving licence and after that, i'll keep it home.

Background: meet my husband in November 2010

came to visit him in July 2011 (B2 visa)

got married in December 2011

I-94 expired in January 2012

Day 0 - 02.01.12 - Send the package

Day 01 - 02.02.12 - Package rec'd

Day 08 - 02.09.12 - E-notification

Day 09 - 02.10.12 - Checks cashed

Day 13 - 02.13.12 - NOA mail

Day 17 - 02.17.12 - Bio appointment for 02.24.12

Day 22 - 02.22.12 - Walk-in Bio

Day 56 - 03.27.12 - Letter with the interview appointment for 04.26.12

Day 58 - 03.29.12 - EAD in production

Day 65 - 04.05.12 - EAD mailed

Day 67 - 04.07.12 - EAD received

Day 69 - 04.09.12 - Applied for SSN

Day 86 - 04.26.12 - Interview day - Cincinnati Federal Office Building

Day 90 - 05.01.12 - GC in production!

Day 93 - 05.04.12 - GC in hand! HAPPY!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have news for you guys! I just received my GC today and on the letter that came along with the card it says very clearly that you do not need to carry the card with you in America!!

I was just thinking about that today...i still didn't decided...but probably i'll keep it with me till i'll get my driving licence and after that, i'll keep it home.

Really? Because mine had a letter saying that it is a legal requirement to carry it with you and even came with a little RF inhibiting sleeve to slip it in when it's in your wallet. (received 2 weeks ago)

Start of relationship

??/07/2008 - A random Skype message came through to me from an American girl

14/02/2009 - After months of talking, the American girl flew over to me - I knew we were meant to be

18/08/2009 - I proposed to her on Brighton Beach, UK

K1 Journey

15/07/2010 - We finally put in the i129f application - after shortly considering me going there on VWP, marrying and trying to Adjust Status, but was too risky

03/01/2011 - NOA2 on the day Dawn returned to NY after spending Christmas with me

10/02/2011 - I visited NY for 3 weeks (let this hold up the K1 process)

28/02/2011 - Medical

29/03/2011 - K1 Interview at London Embassy - Visa granted!

01/04/2011 - Visa in hand

Next Stage

03/05/2011 - POE in JFK - can't wait!

04/06/2011 - Our Wedding Day :)

Filed: Timeline

While I was still a GC holder (now naturalized), I imported some Austin Mini Cooper parts from the UK. Customs placed some sort of hold on it and I had to go to the Long Beach office to get some sort of form. This was not a border crossing, right smack in downtown Long Beach Califronia.

So while I was there the Officer at the desk (armed and in uniform) asked me about my nationality. I answered Nigerian but with a Green card, he asked to see my card. I told him I did not have it as I keep it secured in my home safe.

Basically, two agents appeared behind me like magic and basically told me to consider myself detained until they can verify my status.

30 minutes later I got my release form for my parts and a stern reminder to always carry my GC on me as requried by law.

So there you go. I always carried mine since that day.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf

(Page 18 on the PDF page counter; Page 8 of the document)

Your Rights and Responsibilities

What you do now as a permanent resident can affect

your ability to become a U.S. citizen later. The process of

becoming a U.S. citizen is called “naturalization.”

As a permanent resident, you have the right to:

• Live and work permanently anywhere in the U.S.

• Apply to become a U.S. citizen once you are eligible.

• Request visas for your husband or wife and unmarried

children to live in the U.S.

• Get Social Security, Supplemental Security Income,

and Medicare benefits, if you are eligible.

• Own property in the U.S.

• Apply for a driver’s license in your state or territory.

• Leave and return to the U.S. under certain conditions.

• Attend public school and college.

• Join certain branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.

• Purchase or own a firearm, as long as there are no state

or local restrictions saying you can’t.

As a permanent resident, it is your responsibility to:

• Obey all federal, state, and local laws.

• Pay federal, state, and local income taxes.

• Register with the Selective Service (U.S. Armed

Forces), if you are a male between ages 18 and 26.

See page 11 for instructions.

• Maintain your immigration status.

Carry proof of your permanent resident status at all

times.

• Change your address online or provide it in writing

to the Department of Homeland Security (DHS)

within 10 days of each time you move. See page 12

for instructions.

Our journey together on this earth has come to an end.

I will see you one day again, my love.

I keep mine at home unless I travel out of state

My Journey:

We met through a study-abroad program in Shanghai, China in August of 2009

We got engaged March of 2010

I received my K1 VISA in 6 months (June-December 2010)

We were married 04/02/2011
I received my conditional 2-year greencard (AOS) in 2.5 months with no interview (April-June 2011)

Our son was born 02/03/2013

I received my masters degree in Speech-Language Pathology 04/17/2013

I received my 10-year greencard (ROC) in 3 months with no interview (March-June 2013)

My husband returned from deployment 06/20/2013

My naturalization journey took 4 months (April-August 2014)

I became a US citizen on 08/01/2014

Received passport in 3 weeks (regular processing)

Thank you, VJ! smile.png

• 1 month later...

My new GC that I just got a couple of weeks ago said I had to carry it with me at all times, I even carry it to walk the dogs. My twelve year old son's said the same thing, I mostly carry his right now, but am really worried about him having to carry it with him when school starts up. I would hope that giving him a copy would be okayed, if not exactly the letter of the law. Any thoughts?? I just know he'll lose it.

Jan 21 2011 sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox - they lost it
Mar 22 2011 - Sent I-129F package to Dallas lockbox second time
May 2 2011 - NOA1 at CSC
July 15 2011 - NOA2!!!
July 21 2011 - Hardcopy of NOA2 received in mail
Aug 9 2011 - Case forwarded to Montreal
Sep 7 2011 - Packet 4 sent from embassy
Oct 27 2011 - Interview
Nov 12 2011 - Intended POE VISA delayed due to typo on son's name at the consulate
Nov 22 2011 - Picked up Visa
Nov 26 2011 - New intended POE date
Dec 10 2011 - Wedding

Jan 12 2012 - Sent AOS package
Feb 1 2012 - They send rejection notice, they lost a signature page
Feb 4 2012 - Resent package
Feb 14 2012 - NOA2
Feb 22 2012 - NOA3
March 21 2012 - Biometrics
March 30 2012 - NOA4
May 16 2012 - Interview date

April 2014 - application for I751 Removal of Conditions
May 7 2014 - NOA for notice of receipt and extension letter received
May 8 2014- Verification of inclusion of a dependent letter received
Not dated but in May - letter requesting interview received
July 10 2014 - ASC appointment notice for biometrics received

July 24 2014 Biometrics appointment

Jan 22 2015 - USCIS call

March 18 2015 - USCIS call

April 2 2015 - USCIS call

May 14 2015 - Infopass appt

July 21 2015 - infopass appt

Sept 18 2015 - infopass appt
Feb 25 2016 - USCIS call
Feb 25 2016 - Ombudsman request form sent

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My new GC that I just got a couple of weeks ago said I had to carry it with me at all times, I even carry it to walk the dogs. My twelve year old son's said the same thing, I mostly carry his right now, but am really worried about him having to carry it with him when school starts up. I would hope that giving him a copy would be okayed, if not exactly the letter of the law. Any thoughts?? I just know he'll lose it.

Practically, it highly depends on where you live. If you are far away from any borders, I wouldn't be worrying too much about carrying GC all the time...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My wife and daughter carry theirs all the time. We have copies in the safe, but they carry the originals. If they lose them, so be it, we pay the piper.

Don't know what would have happened if they hadn't had the originals when we were in New Mexico a few months ago and hit a check point. Gee sir, we were scared of losing them and the originals are back in Georgia. Don't think that would have cut it.

Of course, I know many people on this forum do exactly the opposite.

I'm sorry but that's a ridiculous example. As one of "many people" who don't carry the card every day, I DO carry it when travelling more than an hour from home (and the hour is only because I live in the sticks and the nearest big town is an hour away and that's where I work)... as most of the other "many people" do. So in your example "many people" would have had their GC because they were leaving their state and far from home.

**Edit - All that said, it IS breaking the law not to carry it. See here (emphasis added): http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.eb1d4c2a3e5b9ac89243c6a7543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=d0a33a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=d0a33a4107083210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD

"Section 264 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) states, "Every alien in the United States . . . shall be issued a certificate of alien registration or an alien registration receipt card in such form and manner and at such time as shall be prescribed under regulations . . ." It also says, "Every alien, eighteen years of age and over, shall at all times carry with him and have in his personal possession any certificate of alien registration or alien registration receipt card issued to him . . .. Any alien who fails to comply with [these provisions] shall be guilty of a misdemeanor..." The specific requirements and procedures for applying to renew an expiring green card are contained in the Code of Federal Regulations [CFR] at 8 CFR section 264.5."

Edited by Vanessa&Tony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.