Lyric

=((((((((( Fiance just found out he has cancer

90 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Forgive me if I am being repetitive. I just don't know where to post this and I am a nervous wreck right now. I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right forum but I need help. He was just diagnosed by his doctor in Canada as having stomach cancer and it is very possible it has already spread. I have been told to talk to my congressman's office and see if they can do anything. I am so scared. What do I do??? How do I approach them? What kind of questions do I ask them? Do I go in and beg them to have compassion on us and let him still come here asap?

He hasn't even had his medical exam for the interview. He thought he was going to have plenty of time but scheduling conflicts were happening and then he got really sick. :crying:

He needs medical care but he can't get insurance here now b/c of pre-existing condition. BUT He has no one in Canada to take care of him. And he doesn't want anyone else to talke care of him but me in the first place. He NEEDS someone to be able to take him back and forth to the doctor appts and be there for and after surgery. Besides that fact, he needs me with him and I need to be able to take care of him. PERIOD. I can't bear the thought of being separated from him while he is so sick. We don't know how bad it is exactly and we don't know how long he has.

I can't sleep, I am barely eating. I can't stop crying. I am a nervous wreck and everytime I think about how he is feeling, being there alone and so, so sick I really start falling apart. He is the love of my life and I am the love of his life. We need to be together NOW. Oh please someone tell me what to do! Tell me how I can get help and get him here and get him medical care immediately. He has to have surgery and chemotherapy. That is all I know right now.

I have been praying and praying. I can't even talk to the congressman's office until tomorrow!! Stupid holiday today.

Please pray for us. Please.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
Forgive me if I am being repetitive. I just don't know where to post this and I am a nervous wreck right now. I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right forum but I need help. He was just diagnosed by his doctor in Canada as having stomach cancer and it is very possible it has already spread. I have been told to talk to my congressman's office and see if they can do anything. I am so scared. What do I do??? How do I approach them? What kind of questions do I ask them? Do I go in and beg them to have compassion on us and let him still come here asap?

He hasn't even had his medical exam for the interview. He thought he was going to have plenty of time but scheduling conflicts were happening and then he got really sick. :crying:

He needs medical care but he can't get insurance here now b/c of pre-existing condition. BUT He has no one in Canada to take care of him. And he doesn't want anyone else to talke care of him but me in the first place. He NEEDS someone to be able to take him back and forth to the doctor appts and be there for and after surgery. Besides that fact, he needs me with him and I need to be able to take care of him. PERIOD. I can't bear the thought of being separated from him while he is so sick. We don't know how bad it is exactly and we don't know how long he has.

I can't sleep, I am barely eating. I can't stop crying. I am a nervous wreck and everytime I think about how he is feeling, being there alone and so, so sick I really start falling apart. He is the love of my life and I am the love of his life. We need to be together NOW. Oh please someone tell me what to do! Tell me how I can get help and get him here and get him medical care immediately. He has to have surgery and chemotherapy. That is all I know right now.

I have been praying and praying. I can't even talk to the congressman's office until tomorrow!! Stupid holiday today.

Please pray for us. Please.

Sorry to hear of this, my thoughts are with both of you. While getting the visa is important, perhaps in view of this, and the potential costs of securing insurance coverage for a pre-existing condition, have you thought of joining him until he's on the mend and through the chemotherapy treatment, and then dealing with the visa at that time?

Edited by diadromous mermaid

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Timeline

yes I have thought of that but I don't know how we will do it. He has no one to rely on, he will not be able to work and I wouldn't be able to just go there and get a job. We'd have no place to live. Like I said he has no one to count on up there. It's all such a horrible nightmare

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
yes I have thought of that but I don't know how we will do it. He has no one to rely on, he will not be able to work and I wouldn't be able to just go there and get a job. We'd have no place to live. Like I said he has no one to count on up there. It's all such a horrible nightmare

This is simply my personal opinion, but I do not think his condition as described is a cause for denial. I think it is predominantly conatagious diseases like STD's, TB, AIDS and alike. I believe there is somesort of list that gives you an idea of the types of medical conditions. Hopefully someone knows of the link. I could be wrong but I would push forward with my chin up! I think I would still get the congressman's advocate involved however. Good luck!

YMMV

Timeline

Yes, as I understand he cannot be denied for cancer. I just worry about paying for everything and so does he. But he can't be left up there with no help. Either way it is a mess. But I would rather go in debt and have him here if that is what it takes.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

One could contact the Mtl consualte and see if they can move it up, then if not successful, contact ur congress person. best of luck

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

I will be going to the Congressman's office tomorrow first thing and speak with them in person. They are closed today due to Columbus day and of course it is Thanksgiving in Canada today so MTL consulate is closed. I figure the congressman's office will have more pull than I could ever have, so I'll ask them to please contact Montreal immediately and ask them to please do whatever they can to make this easier on us. We'll need luck with that, I'm sure :(

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

You have to be with him at all costs. Just try to stay calm and focus your efforts on that.

I'm so sorry, Lyric.

Jen

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

Lyric I am so sorry to hear about this. It's just terrible, we'll be thinking about both of you. If it's not possible for him to get insurance in the US, in the long run would it not be cheaper to find a way for you to both stay in Canada where his care is covered? I know from personal experience that members of Parliament are very willing and able to help get cases expedited. He'd probably qualify to get some sort of social assistance, like employment insurance to hold you both over for a little while. Otherwise I hope your congressman is able to help. You're in my thoughts.

Timeline

I am sorry to hear this:( You may want to consider going to Canada and staying with him while he gets treatment.

I will tell you with my husbands insurance they said as long as we had health insurance (showed our health cards from Canada) they would cover any pre existing conditions.

*January 24 2006 - mailed in I129-F petition

*January 25 2006 - I129-F received at CSC

*January 30 2006 - packet returned.....arggggggggg we forgot one signature!!

*January 31 2006 - sent I129-F back to the CSC, hope we did not forget anything else

*February 1 2006 - I129-F received at CSC again

*February 3 2006 - NOA1

*April 20 2006 - NOA2!!!!!

*April 24 2006 - Touched!

*May 15 2006 - NVC received petition today!

*May 17 2006 - Case left NVC today!!

*May 30 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Vancouver!

*May 30 2006 - Faxed back Packet 3!!

*June 6 2006 - Received packet 4!

*June 20 2006 - Medical in Saskatoon

*June 28 2006 - Interview in Vancouver!!

*June 28 2006 - GOT THE VISA!!!*June 30 2006 - Moving day!

*July 3 2006 - Home at last!!

*July 28 2006 - married!

*September 13 2006 - Mailed AOS/EAD package

*September 25 2006 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD

*October 6 2006 - Biometrics appointments

*October 10 2006 - Touched!

*October 19 2006 - Transferred to CSC!

*October 26 2006 - Received by CSC

*October 27 2006 - Touched

*October 28 2006 - Touched again

*October 31 2006 - Touched again

*November 2 2006 - Touched again

*November 3 2006- and another touch

*November 7 2006- touched

*November 7 2006 - My case approved, still waiting for kids!

*November 8 2006 - Touched my case again

*November 13 2006 - Greencard arrived...yeah I can work!

*November 14 2006 - Touched my case again

*January 2007 - RFE for kids Greencard.

*February 2007 - kids medical and sent in RFE

*February 2007 - Received kids greencards

Timeline
Lyric I am so sorry to hear about this. It's just terrible, we'll be thinking about both of you. If it's not possible for him to get insurance in the US, in the long run would it not be cheaper to find a way for you to both stay in Canada where his care is covered? I know from personal experience that members of Parliament are very willing and able to help get cases expedited. He'd probably qualify to get some sort of social assistance, like employment insurance to hold you both over for a little while. Otherwise I hope your congressman is able to help. You're in my thoughts.

I wouldn't even know where to start. His living situation is volatile in the first place. I don't know who to contact or how. I know nothing about Canada getting around and all that. I only have one other friend up there that could 'possibly' even begin to help some. I just thought it would be easier here b/c I have friends and family, a job and so forth.

Right now I'm feverishly trying to find good cancer centers that deal a lot with his type of cancer here in the U.S. and what kind of help we could possibly get. So far University of Chicago seems like a good place to go if we could get help on lodging and travel and such along with the medical bills of course. I don't know. My head is just swimming and I'm operating on about 90 minutes of sleep today.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Timeline

I would let him stay in Canada where he can get (free) care. i would also get him to file petitions for you to come there, and have things expedited based on his illness, so that you can come there to care for him, and they may expedite your work permits based on this. There are also government programs and charities that would assist him with finances whle he is undergoing treatment. I dunno, thats the angle I would work, you are more likely to get the compassionate assistance if you go there...and not be stuck with a medical bill that will bankrupt you before you even marry. When he is better, then work on moving to the usa...

just a thought

12/25/2001 : Met on telephone thanks to mutual friend

03/02/2001 : Met face to face at a concert in Sault Ste Marie Michigan

07/06/2004 : I-129F Sent

07/19/2004 : I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

10/20/2004 : I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

11/01/2004 : Package Received By NVC

11/04/2004 : Rec'd Instructions (Pkt 3)

07/01/2005 : Completed Instructions (Pkt 3)

09/01/2005 : Rec'd Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

11/07/2005 : Interview!!!

11/20/2005 : Visa Received

12/03/2005 : US Entry, finally home

02/04/2006 : Wedding !!!

02/13/2006 : AOS, AP & EAD filed

02/16/2006 : AOS, EAD & AP rec'd

02/24/2006 : NOA for AP rejected (I ticked wrong box duh0

02/27/2006 : NOA for AOS, EAD

03/13/2006 : Biometrics appt

03/05/2006 : amended AP application rec'd

03/09/2006 : NOA for AP

04/06/2006 : RFE for AOS (co-sponsor affidavit)

04/07/2006 : AP approved

04/13/2006 : AP recieved

05/25/2006 : EAD approved

05/29/2006 : used AP for the first time

06/01/2006 : EAD rec'd

07/04/2006 : AP used again to pick up my son, activated his visa (he was a follow to join)

07/13/2006 : AP touched ??? (possibly because I used it july 4th?)

08/01/2006 : Interview date

08/12/2006 : AOS touched

08/14/2006 : Gerrys biometrics

10/10/2006 : AOS interview for Gerry

10/28/2006, 11/11/2006, 11/18/2006, my AOS touched ; 10/12/2006,12/04/2006 : Gerry's AOS touched

12/07/2006 : AOS APPROVED !!!!!!!

12/16/2006 : GREEN CARDS IN HAND!

09/24/2008 : Apply for Removal of Conditions

09/26/2008 : 1 Yr Conditional Resident Extention

11/01/2008 : Biometrics for both of us

01/??/2009 : 10 Year Green Cards!!!

Timeline

This past April my wife went to an emergency room to get her ankle looked at . She sprained it at softball. Saw the Amount insurance was charged and for that few minutes the emergency room DR saw her, and xrays, the bill (that insurance was charged) was close to $1400!! If one doesnt have insurance, would be a lot more.

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline

Can you give me links or phone numbers or anything on this kind of assistance in Canada? I need all the help I can get. I know it makes more sense, financially for him to stay there and get medical paid for. At the same time, I feel that maybe he could get BETTER treatment here, even though we most likely can't get financial help. sigh. It's all so frustrating and confusing. We just don't know what to do. I'm trying to do all this myself b/c he is not feeling well and is so upset, it's hard to even be able to talk with him right now to figure out what route to go. :(

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Timeline
http://www.canada.gc.ca/main_e.html MAin Cdn Governemt page, and then use the search feauture I guess. I'm sure others will post better sites

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.