Lyric

=((((((((( Fiance just found out he has cancer

90 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I'm no doctor but I work in the medical field. Let's just say he's in for a long recovery period. Mental , emotional and physical. The sooner you get there and reassure him that you'll be his ROCK and not to worry about the VISA"S right now he'll have one less stress to worry about. Let's just concentrate on his recovery.

Warm wishes,

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been following your thread and wanted to say that I was sorry for your situation. However, at least you both know that you have eachother to lean on through this trial. This too you shall overcome.

A couple of questions ...

If you decided to stay here and get married to see him through his treatment, then would DCF filing be an option when you wanted to return to the US? This may be a very naive question and I'm sorry if it has already been thought through.

Have the doctors told your fiance yet how long his treatment will be? The reason I ask, is that you may be able to go to Canada and take care of him through his treatments during the initial 6 months. He may be able to join you in the US after that where at least you will have your salary to help support the both of you. Not on the K1 - just as a visitor, that way he still has his rights to health care in Canada. I don't know where you are in the US, but it may be cheaper to fly him back and forth for his follow up appointments (or have him see a doctor there) than to try to support the both of you in Canada without your income.

Just one step at a time is all you can do at this point. Until you have a prognosis and a treatment plan, there is little you can plan.

Monique

Reba,

Let me ask this and for anyone else who might know. I would want to take my car if I was going to stay that long. It would be much easier for me to take him to and from his appts, as I don't understand the public transportations system and it would just be more comfortable for him anyway.

Lyric,

I don't know where your fiance will be undergoing treatment, but many facilities offer a 'shuttle service' if you will, from home right to the hospital. This is often a volunteer run service. May be worth investigating. May be an option for getting him back and forth to his treatments.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

If you decided to stay here and get married to see him through his treatment, then would DCF filing be an option when you wanted to return to the US? This may be a very naive question and I'm sorry if it has already been thought through.

They could dcf after she got PR

I just wanted to tell you also Lyric, when I came in, I drove in at Blue Water, with my car, and 2 suitcases, I brought SO MUCH stuff to prove I was going to go back (in case my PR was denied) and they didn't ask for any of it. I had my cat with me and I had to remind them that I was supposed to show paperwork for her. I told them I was visiting, but that I had my PR app pending, they let me right on thru. Diff situation, but I just wanted to say coming into canada I never had problems, it was always going back to my own country that I got hassled.

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Just a point of clarification... they could DCF one year after her PR status is approved.

Lyric, after reading some of the latter posts, and after experiencing healthcare in both countries, I would have to agree with keeping your fiance here in Canada for his care. It sounds like he's already near an excellent facility, would have far better coverage than here than in the US (if any in the US), and treatment could be immediate (rather than waiting to find someplace down there).

You mentioned that you didn't want to leave your employer hanging. But you know, I'm pretty sure they'd understand. They should agree to a leave of absence and can make adjustments to accomodate you. After all, they were there before you starting working there, and they'll be there if you're gone for a while, too. :)

Just focus on the two of you, and what needs to be done. And make sure to take care of yourself in the process, too. ((hugs))

April 24, 2000 - Met in an online chat room

May 26, 2000 - Met in person

July 12, 2000 - Engaged

March 2001 - My permanent resident status is approved in Canada

April 28, 2001 - Married in my hometown, South Bend, IN

May 2, 2001 - Crossed Canadian border and finalized my landed immigrant status

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 2006 - The process of bringing my Canadian family to the States begins, so that my two beautiful children can learn about their whole heritage.

March 8, 2006 - I-130 approved in Calgary

March 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and Packet 3

April 17, 2006 - Sent Packet 3 back to Montreal

April 20, 2006 - Packet 3 received by Montreal

July 6, 2006 - Received Packet 4

September 8, 2006 - INTERVIEW and APPROVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I know nothing about his treatment or what is going to happen at this point. I am hoping to find that out today, as I have to contact my congressman's office to explain everything that is happening, so that I can at least ask for an initial extention until we know more in the next couple of months.

I spoke with my employer today and told her what is happening and I'm taking the afternoon off to hopefully try and get some much needed questions answered. I'm going to need lots of luck with that. :( He's so upset and not feeling well, I'm just hoping I can somehow get info from his doctor so he doesn't have to deal with any of this. I want to do as much of it as I possibly can so that he doesn't have to worry about it. It's not fair to him in the least.

All I want is for him to get better. That's most important but me being with him is imperative. I have to make it work one way or another.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Just a point of clarification... they could DCF one year after her PR status is approved.

Thanks for the clarification. I knew I did not have all the information needed, but was trying to toss out options all the same.

Monique

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
I know nothing about his treatment or what is going to happen at this point. I am hoping to find that out today, as I have to contact my congressman's office to explain everything that is happening, so that I can at least ask for an initial extention until we know more in the next couple of months.

I spoke with my employer today and told her what is happening and I'm taking the afternoon off to hopefully try and get some much needed questions answered. I'm going to need lots of luck with that. :( He's so upset and not feeling well, I'm just hoping I can somehow get info from his doctor so he doesn't have to deal with any of this. I want to do as much of it as I possibly can so that he doesn't have to worry about it. It's not fair to him in the least.

All I want is for him to get better. That's most important but me being with him is imperative. I have to make it work one way or another.

The Doctor can not give you info without his prior written consent or he needs to be in the room with you.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

just fyi, I was able to DCF 3 weeks after landing. I am not sure if the one year requirement is a rumor, but they did not bat an eye when I filed........

Married 12-30-05

Started our visa journey Jan 06.

01-06 - I-130, K3 shortly after

04-06 - switched to Canada Immigration

07-06 - Moved to Canada (PR almost complete)

07-06 - Changed again, back to US imm.

09-06 - Landed as Canadian PR

10-06 - DCF Toronto, Approved in 1.5 hrs!

11-06 - Interview Montreal (success!)

I-130

10-05-06 DCF in Toronto - Approved

10-19-06 Packet 3 received & sent back

10-20-06 Montreal receives P3

11-03-06 Packet 4 received

11-06-06 Medical

11-22-06 Interview / Visa approved

11-26-06 heading home, 6 day drive, my oh my

HOME SWEET HOME

10.24.08 - Mailed I-751 to CSC

Delivered at 9:03 AM on October 25, 2008

10.29.08 NOA1

10.30.08 Check cashed

12.06.08 Biometrics Appt.

12.19.08 Received new Drivers License extended to 2011

03.12.09 Received CONGRATULATIONS letter - Card on the way!!

03.20.09 Received his SHINY new card. WOO HOOOOOOO

YAY!! We can take a break from this madness until Citizenship.

Timeline

The Doctor can not give you info without his prior written consent or he needs to be in the room with you.

Yes, I was 100% positive he'd need written consent. He's not even sure if she's in today. I'm just waiting now. I just came back to work because my hands are tied right now. I want to talk to her so I can get the FULL story and plus if he ends up in the hospital unexpectedly I need to have the right to be given information. I don't even know why they're taking so long to do anything for him. It's stressing me out beyond belief. Which is one of the many reasons I want to talk with her. sigh.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Timeline

Yes, I was 100% positive he'd need written consent. He's not even sure if she's in today. I'm just waiting now. I just came back to work because my hands are tied right now. I want to talk to her so I can get the FULL story and plus if he ends up in the hospital unexpectedly I need to have the right to be given information. I don't even know why they're taking so long to do anything for him. It's stressing me out beyond belief. Which is one of the many reasons I want to talk with her. sigh.

Lyric,

It takes time to gather the information before treatment can begin...it just does :(

I didn't mention before but you may want to get married ASAP so you do have a say in what is happening, and what is done if he is unable to make decisions himself. If you do not get married, then talk to a lawyer to have papers drawn up to give you that right.

Linda

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Lyric,

It takes time to gather the information before treatment can begin...it just does :(

I didn't mention before but you may want to get married ASAP so you do have a say in what is happening, and what is done if he is unable to make decisions himself. If you do not get married, then talk to a lawyer to have papers drawn up to give you that right.

Linda

Very good point, especially if he has no family...

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Timeline

I feel completely helpless right now. I don't even know what to do. If it wasn't for health care in the United States being completely unaffordable this wouldn't be much of an issue. He'd come here and have everything done, but I don't see how that is even a remote possibility. After all the info I have received and seen.

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

Wait until you can speak with the doctor. She may be able to refer to to an agency that can help....

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
I feel completely helpless right now. I don't even know what to do. If it wasn't for health care in the United States being completely unaffordable this wouldn't be much of an issue. He'd come here and have everything done, but I don't see how that is even a remote possibility. After all the info I have received and seen.

I went through cancer treatment of all sorts in the past couple of years. I really suggest having your fiance stay in Canada. The Canadian Cancer Society helped me pay for EVERYTHING that I couldn't afford, being a university student. There were shuttles to take me back and forth, there were houses to stay in, and they helped me with everything.

I love my fiance dearly, and while he came here to be with me for each surgery, he couldn't stay. I know it'll be so hard on your SO if you need to come and go, but the cancer society will ensure he is in good hands. Hospital volunteers and local charity groups through the United Way will help. I'm tearing up thinking about all the help I got. Ultimately, I know you feel you NEED to be there, and if you can be, so be it. However, you can do just as much for him physically by checking in with organizations around him and see what they can do to help.

I know you feel so rushed, but you have some time. Make sure his health is taken care of with the assumption that the two of you simply can't be together. Then, when you can arrive, the situation will improve, instead of let-downs and worries. Make absolute certain that he doesn't need to worry about things because that will make him sicker. There are issues with you coming here, certainly, but everything can be overcome. Please keep in touch. PM me if you would like any insight on dealing with cancer in Ontario.

Also, on the marriage issue, is it not possible to simply go to Montreal and marry there, considering he would travel there for his interview anyhow and it's close to the Kingston Cancer Center? I'm not sure, but check out that option.

No advice, just sympathy and good wishes.

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.