90 posts in this topic

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi,

My sympathy and good wishes. Hope everything goes well.

Perhaps you can find a job in Canada and work on the TN visa; Americans are eligible to apply for one if they find a job in Canada.

The TN visa requires you are a certain professional, hold certain degrees and have a job offer in hand. It is not enough to just be an American to be eligible. As well, it is a non immigrant visa and you have to prove that you have no intent to immigrate...near impossible when you have a SO in the reciprocal country and are pursuing an immigrant visa, I would imagine.

K-1/K-2 Visas

April 20 2006 ~NOA1

July 05 2006 ~IMBRA RFE

Aug 14 2006 ~RFE (further proof of meeting)

Aug 18 2006 ~Approved NOA2 (Day 120)

Oct 10 2006 ~packet 4 received

Nov 14 2006 ~Montreal interview (expedited due to child aging out) SUCCESS :)

Nov 15 2006 ~Pick up visas

Nov 16 2006 ~Fly to San Francisco from Mtl

Nov 18 2006 ~Wedding

AOS/EAD/AP

Dec 18 2006 ~Documents filed

Dec 22 2006 ~NOA1

Jan 10 2007 ~Biometrics appointment

Mar 07 2007 ~AOS interview San Francisco-SUCCESS :)

Mar 19 2007 ~Received Green Cards

I-130 for Daughter

July 28 2007 ~Documents filed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

Oh God! Im so sorry!!! May God help you both!

2006-06-30 I-129F sent to Nebraska

2006-07-08 NOA1 from California Service Center

2006-07-14 Touched

2006-09-18 NOA2(by email) Thank you God!!!

2006-09-19 Touched

2006-10-02 Left from the NVC to the embassy

2006-10-06 Embassy received the petition

2006-10-06 Got package 3

2006-10-13 Sent it back to the embassy

2006-10-24 INTERVIEW DATE

2006-10-24 I GOT MY VISA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006-10-31 Date of US entry

2006-11-18 Marriage

2006-11-28 Filed SSN form

2006-12-04 SSN in mail

2006-12-22 AOS,EAD,AP,sent to Chicago

2006-12-27 NOA1 from MSC

2007-01-18 Biometrics Columbus, OH

2007-01-05 Touched(I485,I765,I131)

2007-01-23 Touched(I485,I765)

2007-03-30 INTERVIEW DATE - CINCINNATI !!!!!!

2007-03-13 AP received

2007-03-15 EAD received

2007-03-30 INTERVIEW APPROVED!!!

2007-04-10 GREEN CARD RECEIVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Lyric, I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your fiance are going through. (F) I haven't been in VJ for awhile and don't have any advice to give. But I do agree with the other posters about him staying in Canada to get treatment. Good luck, and I'll keep you in my prayers.

CR-1

09/16/2005 Mailed I-130 (CSC)

09/21/2005 NOA 1

02/07/2006 NOA 2 (Day 143)

02/25/2006 Petitioner receives AOS Bill in U.S. (Day 161)

02/27/2006 AOS Bill (regular USPS) and DS-3032 (Canada Post regular) are mailed out

03/21/2006 Petitioner receives I-864 package (Day 185)

03/22/2006 Beneficiary receives IV Bill and sends payment - regular mail (Day 186)

03/24/2006 Petitioner sends back I-864 (Day 188)

04/13/2006 Beneficiary receives DS-230 (Day 208)

05/10/2006 Beneficiary sends back DS-230 and docs to NVC via Fedex (Day 235)

05/19/2006 NVC issues RFE on Question # 20 on the DS-230. (Day 244)

05/29/2006 Beneficiary receives RFE and sends it off (Day 254)

06/02/2006 NVC receives RFE (Day 258)

06/16/2006 Case Complete! (Day 272)

07/07/2006 Case forwarded to Consulate in Montreal (Day 293)

08/11/2006 INTERVIEW! VISA APPROVED!

08/14/2006 Picked up visa and crossed the border.

08/25/2006 SS card arrives in the mail

09/07/2006 GC arrives in the mail.

K-3

02/01/2006 Mailed I-129F

02/07/2006 NOA1

04/14/2006 I-129F is approved!

04/24/2006 NVC forwards the application to the consulate in Montreal

05/01/2006 Packet 3 is received from consulate & is sent of 3 days later

07/07/2006 Medical

08/08/2006 INTERVIEW- cancelled bec. of CR-1

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
(L) God bless you both.............I wish I had some answers or a solution for you. But I have to agree with others that it would be better if your fiance stay in Canada and get medical care and for you to go to him. You are in our thoughts and prayers............................{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Timeline

I spent a large sum of money to make an emergency trip to see him over the weekend. Something we both needed. For now we have postponed the interview and he will stay in Canada. I don't know what will happen next. I've never been so stressed and upset about anything in my life. Please just continue to keep us in your prayers.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Will do and glad to hear that you were able to go and see him now. Take each day as it comes and try not to overwhelm yourself. (F)

Mary

Everything I respond to is from personal knowledge, research or experience and I am in no means a lawyer or do I claim to be one. Everyone should read, research and be responsible for your own journey.

I spent a large sum of money to make an emergency trip to see him over the weekend. Something we both needed. For now we have postponed the interview and he will stay in Canada. I don't know what will happen next. I've never been so stressed and upset about anything in my life. Please just continue to keep us in your prayers.

Take care of yoursefl so you can help take care of him. I'm sure the visit was bittersweet. I am glad you get to be with you and hope you can be with him again soon. You are in our prayers (F)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Lyric,

I am a health care professional that practices in the Hospital system in Toronto, Canada. First of all, if you or your husband do not have health care insurance in the USA, then it is prudent to have his cancer care done in Canda. Depending on the Province you are in, the care will vary. However, 100% of his hospital care will be covered by the government health care system in Canada.

2nd of all, if he doesn't have any income or monies or assets, then he can see a social worker in the hospital system (even if he is not yet hospitalized). Every hospital will have a social worker that is either associated with an outpatient clinic (in his case the Oncology unit) or an inpatient ward.

Because he is now officially diagnosed with cancer, he will qualify for government income and drug plan coverage. As well, because he is seriously ill, the social worker can make an application on his behalf/ help him expedite his application for subsidized housing.

So his illness, to some degree, will increase the stability of his personal housing situation, as well as his income situation.

If I were you, as an American, can you get some time off, and come over as a visitor? I don't know the legalities of staying beyond 6 months between Canada and the USA... but perhaps your congressman can speak to the Premier of the Province your husband is in, and request a special stay or expedited process for you to work and live in Canada, given the extrenuating circumstances.

You may also want to see an immigration lawyer in Canada, given your husband's care is covered here, and hence he is tethered to Canada (so to speak until his cancer is in "remission").

If you have the money, or the insurance, then cancer care in the USA is probably superior. However, if you do not have health care coverage, then he is probably better off being in Canada for now.

Also remember, that with cancer, there is surgery, hospitalization, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. Furthermore, post surgery, he will probably need physiotherapy and other types of care and education, depending on his surgery.

You guys are in for a long haul of living in Canada for his cancer therapy. Furthermore, even if his cancer does go into remission, he will need regular check ups with the oncologist to ensure his cancer remains in remission.

Canada's social system is adequate. I do not know what the US system is like.

If the US system will provide him with immediate government covered health plan coverage, as well as some income subsidy, then perhaps bringing to the states is an option. But I can tell you now, for sure, for sure, the social network is in place in Canada... such that his hospitalizations, and all drugs and care while in hospital will be covered. Some provinces also cover dental and drug care, but in Ontario, you need to be disabled (in his case) to get such coverage.

Good luck.

Filed: Timeline

Hi Lyric,

Sorry, I thought you guys were married. there are 6 pages, and I read the 1st 2 and the last 2 pages.

When you visit Canada again, or maybe by phone, you need to speak to an immigration lawyer in Canada (if your plans are to stay in Canada).

What situation would help you stay and reside in Canada faster and easier? Being married or not being married? If being married expediates it, then should the ceremony be in Canada or the USA? I have a feeling that being a married spouse would carry more weight. And probably it is easier if you get married in Canada.

Also, from a health care perspective, remember that by being married, you have more authority to be involved in his health care, as well as have acces to his health care information.

He needs to speak to a social worker ASAP though. They can help with housing, finances, and drug plan coverage. It's something he can do in Canada (without you being present). With a diagnosis like cancer, he can also probably get homecare assistance and perhaps even a visiting RN to see him at home. All these services are covered by the government.

So--- let him look into social assistance. You can look into the best way to get yourself over to Canada, and what your legal options are. Getting married via civil ceremony in Canada may be something you'll have to consider.

Sorry about your situation. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi Lyric,

Sorry, I thought you guys were married. there are 6 pages, and I read the 1st 2 and the last 2 pages.

When you visit Canada again, or maybe by phone, you need to speak to an immigration lawyer in Canada (if your plans are to stay in Canada).

What situation would help you stay and reside in Canada faster and easier? Being married or not being married? If being married expediates it, then should the ceremony be in Canada or the USA? I have a feeling that being a married spouse would carry more weight. And probably it is easier if you get married in Canada.

Also, from a health care perspective, remember that by being married, you have more authority to be involved in his health care, as well as have acces to his health care information.

He needs to speak to a social worker ASAP though. They can help with housing, finances, and drug plan coverage. It's something he can do in Canada (without you being present). With a diagnosis like cancer, he can also probably get homecare assistance and perhaps even a visiting RN to see him at home. All these services are covered by the government.

So--- let him look into social assistance. You can look into the best way to get yourself over to Canada, and what your legal options are. Getting married via civil ceremony in Canada may be something you'll have to consider.

Sorry about your situation. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care.

Zimmy is right on the dot. I being a healthcare professional also stand behind her statements.

Feb. 15/ 07 --- GC approved

Nov. 17/09 -- I-751 sent (Day 1)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Lyric, I am glad you were able to get up here to Canada to visit with your fiance, I have you both in my prayers and hope all goes well with everything you are both going through.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

Thank you for the information, Zimmy. I'll take it all into consideration.

1/28/06 Sent I-129 to TSC

2/08/06 Received NOA1

4/24/06 NOA 2 online

5/01/06 NOA 2 Received in the mail

5/11/06 Case Received at NVC

6/01/06 Packet 3 Received

6/28/06 Packet 3 Sent to Montreal

10/26/06 Interview date - POSTPONED :(

01/25/07 Interview Postponed.....again

11/01/07 Third and final Interview date allowed.

Filed: Other Timeline

For Canadian immigration married or not doesn't matter. Canada allows (and has for quite some time) common-law and conjugal partner immigration. Canada is a common-law country, they don't care if you get married or not. Which is why there isn't an equivalent fiance visa. You're a partner, first and foremost.

Tho I will say that whether you're married or not, CIC paperwork is a pain in the ####### :P With or without a lawyer.

I'd suggest that if you *can* get a leave of absense from work, once you're in Canada and decide whether or not you'll stay beyond 6 months, apply from within Canada, and perhaps the Provincial MP can assist with a compassionate grounds application.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

My wife and I will pray for your situation.....Hope that it all works out in your favor.

John~~~Ontario, Canada*********Ruth~~~Ohio, U.S.A

The never-ending story of the visajourney of this Canadian/American couple can be found by clicking HERE

AOS was officially approved via email notice from USCIS on August 10th/2005, 622 days from the filing of the I-130 in Nebraska on November 26/2003, the very first day that we started our immigration journey.

Received 10 year green card on August 15/2005.

Our thanks to the creators of visajourney and all those here who helped us along the way..May God bless you and strengthen you on your visajourney....and now life goes on.

(Jeremiah 29:11-13)" For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD , "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.